PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Bloodline: Primal Magic Bloodline (PF) PEACH

TheOneWhoWalks
2014-01-08, 02:10 AM
Primal Magic Bloodline

Though rarely seen in the world, sorcerers exist whose magic is primal, untamed, and barely under their own control, particularly at the beginning of their career. While most who poses the Primal Magic bloodline are second-generation sorcerers, often descended from one or more of the Arcane or Protean bloodlines who had more than passing exposure to areas of primal magic, sometimes this type of sorcerous magic is not a birthright, but engendered in an individual directly, by extreme or prolonged exposure to primal magic itself.

Class Skill: Use Magic Device

Bonus Spells: entropic shield (3rd), mad hallucination (5th), distracting cacophony (7th), curse of magic negation (9th), Baleful polymorph (11th), animate objects (13th), spell turning (15th), scintillating pattern (17th), shapechange (19th)

Bonus Feats: Agile Maneuvers, Blind Fight, Bouncing Spell, Defensive Combat Training, Disruptive Spell, Eldritch Heritage, Selective Spell, Spell Focus

Bloodline Arcana: Any time you cast a spell, roll 1d4-2, and add the result to your caster level for all purposes related to casting that spell, including subsequent attempts to dispel it. What this means is that for the purposes of meeting prerequisites, making opposed caster level checks, or anything else not directly related to casting spells, your caster level equals your sorcerer level (modified by any applicable feats, class features, and/or racial traits), as normal. However, for the purposes of actually casting spells, your caster level is randomly determined each time you cast a spell, falling between your CL-1, and your CL+2. If this would reduce your caster level below the minimum sorcerer level to cast a spell of the level you were attempting to cast, the spells fails and your action is wasted, but you do not spend the spell slot, and may attempt to cast the same or a different spell again in the next round.

Bloodline Powers:

Disrupt Magic (sp): at 1st level, you can cause spellcasting to become difficult for a foe, as a melee touch attack. The next time the affected creature tries to cast a spell, they must make a concentration check as if casting defensively but with a penalty equal to your charisma bonus, or lose the spell in a flash of noise and multi-colored light. This effect lasts a number of rounds equal to your ½ your sorcerer level (minimum 1), or until the target attempts to cast a spell, and can be used a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Cha modifier.

Unweaving Presence (su): at 3rd level, you subtly disrupt the natural ebb and flow of magic around you, sometimes causing incoming spells to falter, and slightly distorting your own magic. You gain spell resistance equal to 5 + your Cha modifier + your sorcerer level, and the Spellcraft DC to identify sorcerer spells you cast is increased by your Cha modifier. Also, you are able to detect areas of Primal Magic at a range of 10 ft per sorcerer level.

Let it Run Free! (sp): At 9th level, anytime a a single-target spell fails to overcome your spell resistance, you may, once per round as an immediate action, take the unwoven tatters of the spell and, rather than letting them dissipate into so much noise and color, point a direction and let them fly wild. This functions exactly as if you had activated a rod of wonder, and may target any creature, object, or square you can see. Regardless of the range indicated on the Wondrous Effect table, the maximum range and/or radius of the resulting effect is 10 ft per level of the spell used to fuel this ability.

Organized Chaos (su): Beginning at 15th level, any time you roll randomly to determine the effect of a spell, ability, or item you use, whether it be a prismatic spray spell, your let it run free! ability, or even activating an item, such as an actual rod of wonder or a bag of tricks, you may roll twice, and choose which of the two results you would like to use. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to your charisma modifier.

Unweave Magic (su): At 20th level, your very being is suffused with primal magic, and you can warp magic in your vicinity; you gain immunity to petrification and polymorph effects (unless you choose to be affected) and any effect prevented by this immunity can be used to trigger your let it run free! ability. Also, as a standard action you can generate an area of primal magic around yourself; this takes the form of a sphere, centered on you, with a radius of 10 ft per point of your Cha modifier, and can be used for a number of rounds per day equal to your sorcerer level. These rounds need not be continuous, but persist for 1d3-1 rounds after you choose to end the effect; these rounds count against your daily maximum. You are able to cast spells freely within an area of primal magic that you generate without causing a primal magic effect, unless you wish to do so. Any time you use this ability, there is a 1% chance that your power gets away from you, and scars the locale, rather than merely disrupting it. If this happens, the primal magic zone is not considered to be generated by you, and persists for 1d3 days per two points of your Cha modifier.

Comments? Criticisms? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated :smallbiggrin:

TheOneWhoWalks
2014-01-10, 01:06 PM
So, no feedback means this is brilliantly conceived and perfectly in balance, right? :smalltongue:

Seriously, though, just giving this a single bump, any commentary or criticism at all is helpful! :smallsmile:

bookguy
2014-01-11, 05:21 PM
The Primal bloodline already exists in Ultimate Magic. You should probably pick another name.

Sorcerers already have Use Magic Device. Pick something they don't have.

Bloodlines have 8 bonus feats; yours has nine.

Bloodline Arcana: So, 1/4 of the time that you cast your highest-level spell at an even level it fails but isn't used up. Whenever you cast a spell you get an average of +1/2 caster level, which in most cases means a small increase in duration or damage. I guess it seems okay, balance-wise. It turns me away from playing this bloodline, though. It would be better without the spell failing.

Disrupt Magic: I like it!

Unweaving Presence: It's too powerful. You're giving a low-level sorcerer good spell resistances where other bloodlines get minor corner-case resistances. Also, I think that this is more supernatural than extraordinary.

Let it Run Free!: Again, don't do the spell resistance.

Organized Chaos: The first part of this looks quite powerful. I really don't know if it's balanced even at this level. As for the second part, note that the Aberrant bloodline first gets spell resistance at this level, it's the only thing that bloodline gets at this level, and the spell resistance is far less than you are giving away here.

Unweave Magic: I have no idea if it's balanced or not.

Overall, some things are good but some need to be changed.

TheOneWhoWalks
2014-01-13, 04:12 AM
Huh. I thought the bloodline in UM was called Protean, not Primal. I don't have my books in front of me, but it could probably use a more evocative name anyway... I'll put some thought into it.

I'm sort of embarrassed that I missed that... But whatever. Perhaps Acrobatics (on the same logic as Agile Moves and Defensive Combat Training) or Intimidate (because uncontrolled magic in their nature makes them intense and unsettling)... But yeah, redundant skills are no good...

Also feel embarrassed for counting wrong, I only included Skill Focus to fill out the number of feats... so that's gone.

Bloodline Arcana: I felt that the 25% chance of +2 CL (and thus, +2 dice of damage on many spells) needed to be balanced by the 25% of failure... but I also have not had a real chance to playtest this, so I might be being overcautious. I'll consider taking that out.

Disrupt Magic: Glad you liked it :-)

Unweaving Presence: Yeah, I can see that... I swear I did the math, and this ability made sense when I wrote it, but doing the math again, now, it does seem unreasonable. Spell Resistance feels right for this bloodline, but this is either too much, too soon, or maybe even both... this ability needs reworking.

Let It Run Free: So with modified spell resistance, or perhaps attaching this ability to something like a successful counterspell, would it work well enough?

Organized Chaos: Yeah, I think I might limit uses per day to Cha modifier. Still powerful, but maybe a bit more reasonable... Also, the SR increase is just going to go away, I think, regardless of what I end up doing with Unweaving Presence.

Unweave Magic: ...yeah, I have no real idea here either. I was at a bit of a loss for a capstone, and this is the result... I also enjoy the idea of a powerful primal sorcerer scaring the magical landscape when he breaks out the big guns... but yeah, no clue how to balance the ability, so I kind of took a shot in the dark.

Thanks for the feedback! :smallbiggrin: Going to make a few changes... and still have a few things to consider. I might just get this playable, after all :smallsmile: