PDA

View Full Version : Unlimited Opportunities [3.5 PrC] [PEACH] [WIP]

CryWolfCorrupt
2014-01-09, 11:35 PM
The Opportunist

http://www.warehouse23.com/img/full/W23-1005XL.jpg

The optimist says the glass is half full. The pessimist says the glass is half empty. The Opportunist drinks.

Opportunists capitalize on any and every weakness enemies present. Rather than fight straightforward, as a Warrior or Barbarian would, they instead wait for the enemy to open themselves up. Once an enemy has revealed an opportunity for attack, the Opportunist sweeps in immediately. They are sen as consistently in the right place at the right time, but what no one else seems to know is that Opportunists are completely reactionary. You'll never see an Opportunist strike outright. They're manipulative, tricky, and entirely capable of inciting enemies into reckless actions. They find extreme pleasure in showing an opponent the err of their ways and their lack of power or control.

In a campaign setting, Opportunists will often try to be the first to say yes, the first to accomplish anything, and the first to tell someone when they've messed up. They're arrogant, selfish, and typically refuse to receive criticism or insult. They will point out all mistakes a party member makes while dancing around their own mistakes as if they don't happen.

Role: Combat, battlefield control, and debuffer against martial classes.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Opportunists have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Strength is the end-all, be all ability for an Opportunist, though Dexterity and Constitution are obviously good complements of any martial class.
Hit Die: d10
Requirements:BAB +5, Tumble (8 ranks), Combat Reflexes

Class Skills
Opportunist's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are...

Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

CLASS NAME
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+1|
+2|
+0|Eyes for Opportunity Only, Opportunities Abide

2nd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+0|Opportune Strikes

3rd|
+3|
+2|
+3|
+1|

4th|
+4|
+2|
+4|
+1|Opportune Strike

5th|
+5|
+3|
+4|
+1|Expose Weakness

6th|
+6|
+3|
+5|
+2|Opportune Strike

7th|
+7|
+4|
+5|
+2|

8th|
+8|
+4|
+6|
+2|Opportune Strike

9th|
+9|
+5|
+6|
+3|Finesse at it's Finest

10th|
+10|
+5|
+7|
+3|Improved Opportune Strike
[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies:

Eyes Only for Opportunity: Opportunists may attack enemies who provoke attacks of opportunity or miss an attack agaisnt them through the exploitation of weakness. They gain a number of Opportunities, equal to their highest BAB, that they may use for attacks of opportunity each round. The first attack of opportunity provoked against an Opportunist each turn does not cost an Opportunity to use, and the Opportunist may use a full-attack in place of that attack of opportunity. An Opportunist may not make attacks of opportunity, even if they are provoked, if they do not have any remaining Opportunities. An Opportunist’s Opportunities replenish each turn. Opportunists may make one attack of opportunity at highest BAB with each weapon they are holding at the time the attack is provoked, without incurring any penalties for attacking with more than one weapon (this excludes natural weapons). Opportunists may also replace any attack of opportunity with a Special Attack or an Opportune Strike, but these still use up one Opportunity and require the full attack of opportunity (you cannot wield two weapons, make an attack with one and then a Special Attack following).

If an Opportunist chooses to strike at an opponent normally, they suffer a penalty of -5. This penalty lessens by 1 every other level of Opportunist.

Opportunities Abide (Ex): An Opportunist can make the best of any and all situations where opportunities present themselves. Actions that normally do not provoke attacks of opportunity, do so for an Opportunist who knows what to look for. Enemies now provoke attacks of opportunity against you anytime they enter a threatened space, as well as leave. In addition, if an enemy attempts to attack you and fails to deal damage, that enemy provokes an attack of opportunity from you as well. In order to capitalize on this attack of opportunity, you must end your action that provoked the attack and make your attack roll. You may choose not to take your retaliatory attack of opportunity and complete your movement instead. Anytime an enemy taking up more than one space leaves multiple spaces that you threaten, you may make an additional attack of opportunity against that enemy for each space greater than one. If you threaten an enemy in melee range and they attack anyone but you, they provoke an opportunity from you.

Opportune Strikes (Ex): When in close proximity, an Opportunist’s keen eye quickly and accurately sizes up enemies and identifies the best way to defeat them. Beginning at level 2 and every other level following, you gain the benefits of one of the following Opportune Strike. When you gain the strike, you are considered to have the listed feats, even if you do not meet the prerequisites. Immediately upon reaching 10th level you may swap out any of the Opportune Strikes for a different Opportune Strike one time. These Strikes may be used as a normal attack with the penalty from Eyes for Opportunity Only, or they may replace an attack of opportunity.

Tripping Strike (Ex): You gain the Improved Trip feat. In addition, whenever you successfully trip an enemy, that enemy loses their Dexterity bonus to their armor class. If you take this Strike at level 10, you may also make a full-attack against any enemy you successfully trip, as if you had a normal BAB for your ECL. This replaces the single attack granted by the Improved Trip feat and you may not do this if you would not normally qualify for a full-attack.

Disarming Strike (Ex): You gain the Improved Disarm feat. In addition, if you are wielding one weapon (even if you are wielding a two-handed weapon), whenever you successfully disarm an enemy, you may pick up their weapon. If the enemy is holding two weapons, if you successfully disarm one, you may make an attempt against the other weapon or shield as well. If you take this Strike at level 10, when you successfully disarm an enemy, you may also make a full-attack against any enemy you successfully disarm, as if you had a normal BAB for your ECL. You may not do this if you would not normally qualify for a full-attack.

Sundering Strike (Ex): You gain the Improved Sunder feat. In addition, your sunder attempts may be used against armor. Sundering armor does damage to its hit points (mitigated by hardness) similar to weapons. Sundering armor reduces its effectiveness by 50% even if the armor would be considered “destroyed” by the damage dealt. Taking this Strike also grants you the ability to control your sunders to a greater extent than others. Whenever you successfully sunder an enemy’s equipment, you may choose to simply reduce it to 1 hit point instead of destroying it, imposing the following disadvantages:
Weapons: -2 to attack rolls and -4 to damage rolls and suppression of magical effects with the weapon until it is repaired.
Armor/Shield: -50% of the armor’s natural benefits (rounded down) until repaired. Magical effects such as Glamered or Spell Resistance are suppressed until it is repaired.
Wands, Rods and other Magical Items: Double the cost per use until it is repaired.
Tools/Kits: -2 to skill checks made with the tool until it is repaired.
Mundane items: 75% value until repaired.
Note: The Mending spell will fix broken items (magical and mundane) and return them to 75% of their hit points (anything above 50% hit points is considered “repaired”). A DC 20 Craft check (appropriate to the item being repaired, Spellcraft for wands, rods or other magical-use items) is required to return the item to 100% of its hit points.
If you take this Strike at level 10, you also gain the following benefits. You may sunder an enemy’s natural weapons as long as they are extremities (can sunder claws, tails, stingers, etc) but the enemy gets a +4 to their check. A sundered natural weapon is amputated from the body. In addition, any extra damage exceeding the amount needed to destroy a weapon, shield, or armor is dealt as damage to the enemy.

Pressing Strike (Ex): You gain the Improved Bull Rush feat. In addition, on a successful bull rush, you may push the enemy up to an additional 10 feet for each 5 points by which your result is greater than the defender’s check result (you may exceed your normal movement limit by 20 feet in this way). At the end of any bull rush, you may place yourself in any adjacent square to the enemy and make one attack against that enemy at your highest BAB. If you take this Strike at level 10, you may also make a Trip, Disarm, or Sunder attempt (or Strike, if you have it) at the end of the charge with a +2 bonus to your check. If you succeed on that check, you may make one attack against that enemy at your highest BAB (this replaces any attacks granted from similar functions, such as the attack granted by the Improved Trip feat).

Constricting Strike (Ex): You gain the Improved Grapple feat. In addition, if you successfully hit an enemy with a chain or whip of any kind, you may immediately attempt a grapple against that enemy without a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. This grapple involves wrapping your weapon around the enemy, and as such, you are not considered grappled. You may not move during this grapple, do not threaten any squares, and you may only use this grapple against enemies up to 2 sizes larger or smaller than you, but you retain your Dexterity bonus to AC. You may pull the weapon as a standard action grapple check, with 2 possible results. You can force the enemy 5 feet closer to you, or you can constrict them, dealing the chain’s normal damage plus 1.5 times your Strength modifier as bludgeoning and piercing damage. Attempting to break the hold of the chain with a full round action that provokes an attack of opportunity from you. This attack of opportunity may be replaced with a grapple check to pull on the weapon. The DC to break the hold is equal to 10 + your Opportunist class level + your Strength modifier. This breaks the hold, but does not break the weapon. While grappling an enemy normally, you still retain your Dexterity bonus to AC, but your opponent does not. You may make a reflex saving throw against all ranged attacks (including targeted spells) to block the attack with whomever you are grappling. After eight continuous successful grapple checks (initiated by you or your opponent), the opponent you are grappling passes out and becomes helpless. If you take this Strike at level 10, the DC to escape your chain or whip increases by your Strength modifier, and your constrictions deal double your Strength modifier in damage as well. In addition, the number of turns needed to incapacitate an enemy with a grapple is reduced to four.

Supporting Strike (Ex): You gain the Improved Aid Another feat. In addition, if you Aid Another to provide AC to an ally, the attacker provokes an attack of opportunity from you after their attack has been resolved. This attack of opportunity can only be an attack, not a Special Attack, Opportune Strike, or any other action. If you use Aid Another to grant an ally a bonus to attack, that allies target is considered flanked, even if you do not threaten it or are not in a correct flanking position. If you take this Strike at level 10, you may replace the attack of opportunity gained from aiding another defensively with a Special Attack or Opportune Strike. If you use your Aid Another offensively and threaten the same enemy as your ally, you may attack with a Special Attack or Opportune Strike as soon as your ally’s attack is resolved.

Pinning Strike (Ex): You gain the Improved Pin feat. In addition, if you would successfully pin an enemy by impaling them, you may move up to half your move speed towards another enemy and attempt another grapple check at a -2 penalty against that enemy (you add an additional -2 penalty for each enemy already impaled). If you succeed, you may pin all impaled enemies to a surface. At the end of this action, you may release the weapon or continue to hold it, but that completes your turn. The enemy closest to the pinned surface cannot attack or use other actions without the enemy(ies) closest to the end of the weapon escaping first (but they may Aid Another the closest person to them to help them escape). Pinned enemies must succeed on a Strength check with a DC of 10 + your Opportunist class level + your Strength modifier to pull themselves off the weapon. The enemy closest to the end of the weapon may make attacks against anyone within range at a -2 penalty. Pinned enemies lose their Dexterity bonus to AC, cannot move, and must use a full round action to attempt to escape. If you are holding the weapon, they must make an opposed Strength check to escape. If you take this Strike at level 10, whenever you successfully pin an enemy, you deal damage equal to one attack at your highest BAB to that enemy, and again upon pinning them to a surface. Additionally, you no longer take a -2 penalty to pin an additional enemy.

Expose Weakness: Your experience learning to use the enemy against themselves has taught you to seek out the most exposed weakness, whether in a combat form or in their armor. You gain a base critical threat range of 17-20/x3 on all piercing weapons, 18-20/x4 on all slashing weapons, and 19-20/x2 on all bludgeoning weapons. This ability can stack with either Improved Critical, or Keen, but not both. If a weapon has two different damage types (such as slashing and piercing) they use the smaller threat range (piercing > slashing > bludgeoning).

Finesse at it's Finest: Opportunists are known for their ability to quickly improvise on a situation and make the best of it. They gain an untyped +5 bonus to initiative, and they gain an extra action on their first round of combat.

I honestly don't know for sure where I am going with this class but I wanted to make a class based around attacks of opportunity and/or Special Attacks. Right now, the class can't attack other than attacking through attacks of opportunity, which is really weak but until I find a way to balance it out (more than adding lots of new ways to provoke them) this is where I'm stuck. I'm open to any and all constructive for this class and would love some help making it more thematically relevant. Other ideas I am considering:
Adding increased threat range for crits (Expose Weakness)
Adding all of the rest of the Special Attack variants
Adding feats for Improved Pinning and Improved Aid Another
Adding feats that reduce the requirements to provoke an attack of opportunity

PEACH!

CryWolfCorrupt
2014-01-09, 11:37 PM
FEATS

Improved Pin: Your understanding of grappling and pinning has advanced to the point you know exactly where to apply pressure to keep an enemy pinned with minimal effort. This understanding has taught you how to pin enemies with a weapon. If you successfully attack an enemy with a piercing weapon, you may attempt to pin them to something nearby using your weapon. Your weapon bypasses hardness as if it was adamantine when used in this way. Make an opposed Strength check as a free action. If you succeed, the opponent is pinned to whatever surface you pin them to, and must succeed a Strength check with a DC of 10 + your Opportunist class level + your Strength modifier to escape. Flanked enemies receive a -4 penalty to their Strength checks to avoid being pinned, and flanking allies gain a +4 advantage to dodge. A weapon can only pin enemies one size larger than it, or smaller. The size of your weapon determines the amount of Medium enemies that can be pinned using it:

Small: 1
Medium: 2
Large: 3
Huge: 4
Gargantuan: 5
Colossal: 6

CryWolfCorrupt
2014-01-09, 11:38 PM
Reserved for Changelog:

1-10-2014:
Updated the BAB system for the class. Replaced the "each iterative the class would have gained instead increases the highest BAB by +3, so a level 6 fighter would have +9 BAB instead of +6/+1 and a level 11 fighter would have a +17 BAB instead of a +11/+6/+1" with the current BAB system of allowing an Opportunist to make one full-attack in place of an attack of opportunity each round. It makes more sense thematically and should hopefully result in not nerfing the damage on the class too much.
Changed penalty to normal attacks instead of AoO's
Added Expose Weakness
Clarified worn armor for Sundering Strike

Kazyan
2014-01-10, 01:48 PM
It's a good idea, but it needs work, mechanically. You accidentally cripple a melee character trying to enter your class. Look at what happens:

Eyes Only for Opportunity: You can only take attacks of opportunity...
Opportunities Abide: ...but when you take one, you get a -6 penalty to attack rolls, because you have double your Opportunist level in the classes you used to enter Opportunist with.

So I enter your class and the nerfbat hits me with a -6 to all my attack rolls. Oops.

Also, relying solely on attacks of opportunity means that enemies can now do silly things to prevent you from hurting them. Let's say I'm a caster with a very good Concentration score, or a monster with an at-will supernatural ability. I'll just get right up in your fact and cast defensively/spam the (Su) ability on every one of my turns and just not move. I'm never provoking an attack of opportunity, so you can't do anything to me. Or maybe I'm a guy with a bow. The point is that an Opportunist simply cannot rely only on attacks of opportunity without being made to look like a fool. I recommend allowing attacks that are not of the "of opportunity" variety, but apply that big attack penalty to those instead of AoOs.

Now, with that out of the way...

Sundering Strike does not need to declare what HP and hardness the armors have; this is already calculable from Core material.

Improved Pin and Improved Aid Another do not exist AFAIK. Earth's Embrace and Improved Aid (both from Oriental Adventures) might be what you're looking for.

Expose Weakness seems exploitable because it's independent of the weapon's original crit range. I'd like a 17-20/x3 crit range on my Lightning Mace build; thank you. Further, I don't know what happens when you have a weapon that deals both Piercing and Slashing damage, for example.

Sorry for being negative, but I want to see a PrC that lets you get all of the AoOs and have it be well-written. (I do love that quote.)

CryWolfCorrupt
2014-01-10, 02:54 PM
It's a good idea, but it needs work, mechanically. You accidentally cripple a melee character trying to enter your class. Look at what happens:

Eyes Only for Opportunity: You can only take attacks of opportunity...
Opportunities Abide: ...but when you take one, you get a -6 penalty to attack rolls, because you have double your Opportunist level in the classes you used to enter Opportunist with.

So I enter your class and the nerfbat hits me with a -6 to all my attack rolls. Oops.
Whoops. Needs clarification. It's meant to just be on retaliatory strikes when you provoke an attack of opportunity. I thought it was a bit strong for someone to take a one-level dip just to be able to strike back at attacks of opportunity that they provoke.

Also, relying solely on attacks of opportunity means that enemies can now do silly things to prevent you from hurting them. Let's say I'm a caster with a very good Concentration score, or a monster with an at-will supernatural ability. I'll just get right up in your fact and cast defensively/spam the (Su) ability on every one of my turns and just not move. I'm never provoking an attack of opportunity, so you can't do anything to me. Or maybe I'm a guy with a bow. The point is that an Opportunist simply cannot rely only on attacks of opportunity without being made to look like a fool. I recommend allowing attacks that are not of the "of opportunity" variety, but apply that big attack penalty to those instead of AoOs.
I could do that. I just noticed no one had made a class revolving around attacks of opportunity before (that I could find) so I wanted to give it a shot without it just turning into "The fighter hits you for 130 damage, then you provoke an AoO and his Opportunist levels allow him to hit you for 130 again for free, suck it!" It's been a difficult process. That's one of the reasons I went with Special Attacks, so that they had something if they didn't have an AoO...

Edit: The class also grants you (through Opportunities Abide) the ability to have attacks of opportunities provoked anytime an enemy enters the squares you threaten, so that helps if someone is following you around without leaving your threatened area.

Now, with that out of the way...

Sundering Strike does not need to declare what HP and hardness the armors have; this is already calculable from Core material. For sundering purposes, since typical sunder can't be used on worn armor, I didn't know if those applied.. I will fix.

Improved Pin and Improved Aid Another do not exist AFAIK. Earth's Embrace and Improved Aid (both from Oriental Adventures) might be what you're looking for. I am going to homebrew them (see Disclaimer) to add an Improved, Greater, and Perfect version of all special attacks I include in this build.

Expose Weakness seems exploitable because it's independent of the weapon's original crit range. I'd like a 17-20/x3 crit range on my Lightning Mace build; thank you. Further, I don't know what happens when you have a weapon that deals both Piercing and Slashing damage, for example.Even with Aptitude, a weapon is treated as a mace, is it not? That would make it bludgeoning and only eligible for a 19-20/x2 by this skill. I will also put in a disclaimer that if a weapon deals two types of damage, it uses the lower threat range (slashing and piercing would use the 18-20 because it is a lower amount of range).

Sorry for being negative, but I want to see a PrC that lets you get all of the AoOs and have it be well-written. (I do love that quote.)
Negative is good when it helps me clarify the class. Maybe you'd be interested in some suggestions? I'll rework the Opportunities Abide ability so that you take penalties to attacks that are not Special Attacks or Attacks of Opportunity... that should help balance it out a bit, right? Please check back on my responses to your comments so I can get this class straightened out.

Kazyan
2014-01-10, 03:01 PM
Whoops. Needs clarification. It's meant to just be on retaliatory strikes when you provoke an attack of opportunity. I thought it was a bit strong for someone to take a one-level dip just to be able to strike back at attacks of opportunity that they provoke.

If you apply the penalty to just the retaliatory strikes, then it works. I might have just misinterpreted the text.

I could do that. I just noticed no one had made a class revolving around attacks of opportunity before (that I could find) so I wanted to give it a shot without it just turning into "The fighter hits you for 130 damage, then you provoke an AoO and his Opportunist levels allow him to hit you for 130 again for free, suck it!" It's been a difficult process. That's one of the reasons I went with Special Attacks, so that they had something if they didn't have an AoO...

The special attacks, at least, are a good way of rounding out the concept.

For sundering purposes, since typical sunder can't be used on worn armor, I didn't know if those applied.. I will fix.

If you want it to be clear, just note that you'd deal damage to the HP (mitigated by Hardness) of the armor the same way you do with weapons.

I am going to homebrew them (see Disclaimer) to add an Improved, Greater, and Perfect version of all special attacks I include in this build.

:smallsmile:

Even with Aptitude, a weapon is treated as a mace, is it not? That would make it bludgeoning and only eligible for a 19-20/x2 by this skill. I will also put in a disclaimer that if a weapon deals two types of damage, it uses the lower threat range (slashing and piercing would use the 18-20 because it is a lower amount of range).

Ah, I think I was misremembering and thinking of morningstars. (This critique is not my best, I suppose...)

Negative is good when it helps me clarify the class. Maybe you'd be interested in some suggestions? I'll rework the Opportunities Abide ability so that you take penalties to attacks that are not Special Attacks or Attacks of Opportunity... that should help balance it out a bit, right? Please check back on my responses to your comments so I can get this class straightened out.

Aside from the "-6 to all attacks" issue/misinterpretation, the special attacks look good.

CryWolfCorrupt
2014-01-10, 03:04 PM
If you apply the penalty to just the retaliatory strikes, then it works. I might have just misinterpreted the text.
Yes, it was just to retalitory strikes, but I changed it to attacks made in the normal fashion have a -5 penalty, lessening by 1 with every 2 levels of Opportunist. Thoughts?

The special attacks, at least, are a good way of rounding out the concept.
Do you think it is enough to have them usable on Attacks of Opportunity? Should I add more? (Charge, etc.)

If you want it to be clear, just note that you'd deal damage to the HP (mitigated by Hardness) of the armor the same way you do with weapons.
Fixing.

Ah, I think I was misremembering and thinking of morningstars. (This critique is not my best, I suppose...)
A critique is a critique, and I appreciate it :smallbiggrin:

Aside from the "-6 to all attacks" issue/misinterpretation, the special attacks look good. Sweet. I'm making a few minor changes/tweaks as well based on your thoughts.

Kazyan
2014-01-10, 03:58 PM
-5 on regular attacks works. It's steep, but you're changing your fighting style anyway, and if you have Full BAB, you're not helpless. (Chances are you're PAing for that sometimes anyway.)

Having them be usable on AoOs is enough; it reinforces that the class is called Opportunist. Tripping someone as they step up to hit you is a neat image.

CryWolfCorrupt
2014-01-27, 11:50 AM
Added a new ability for level 9, "Finesse at it's Finest" that gives an Opportunist increased value when they win initiative/act during the surprise round.

CryWolfCorrupt
2014-02-12, 09:21 AM
Shameless Bump