PDA

View Full Version : Lontodon (3.5 Monster)

Jergmo
2014-01-14, 05:36 AM
The lontodon is a creature I created based off of a race I created in Spore and have used in a few different campaigns now. I've been creating a large number of homebrew creatures for use in my campaign setting and I wanted to share them with the Playground.

Lontodon
Size/Type: Large Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 8d8+32 (68 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (-1 size, +5 natural, +3 hide armor), touch 9, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+22
Attack: Claw +13 melee (2d6+6)
Full Attack: 2 claws +13 melee (2d6+6) and gore +8 melee (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Frenzy
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, keratin hide
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +2, Will +6
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 10, Con 19, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 7
Skills: Listen +6, Spot +5
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Grapple, Improved Overrun
Environment: Warm and temperate plains and forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, band (3-4 plus one druidic avenger of 1st-3rd level) or tribe (5-8 plus one druidic avenger of 3rd-5th level)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +4

A lontodon stands between 8 to 10 feet tall and weighs about 800 pounds. It has scaly, mottled light purple skin with powerfully built arms and legs and oversized claws, its head reminiscent of a hippo's with the tusks and snout of a boar. The lontodon is a highly aggressive and territorial creature but is primarily a herbivore, eating plants, grubs and climbing trees to reach fruit, though it is known to scavenge when the opportunity presents itself. They have a simple tribal society, revering various powerful animals, and seeing themselves as being superior due to their likeness to powerful animals such as hippos and boars. They are particularly aggressive during mating season, where in some extreme cases male loxodons will battle to the death.

Combat
A lontodon will usually begin combat by performing an Overrun attempt. They will then attempt to grapple their opponents and unleash a flurry of natural attacks until their opponent is dead.

Keratin Hide (Ex): The hide of a lontodon is studded with keratin spikes, causing any opponent engaged in a grapple with a loxodon or attacking a loxodon with a natural or unarmed strike to take 1d8 points of damage.

Frenzy (Ex):Whenever a lontodon takes damage in combat, it is provoked into a battle frenzy by means of a rush of adrenaline. It gains +4 Strength, +4 to Constitution, and -2 to Armor Class. It cannot end its frenzy voluntarily, and at the end of combat it is considered fatigued.

Debihuman
2014-01-15, 05:20 PM
While I like this for a monster, I'm not sure it makes for a good PC race.

Abilities: Str 23, Dex 10, Con 19, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 7

+ 12 Str, +9 Con, -4 Int and -4 Cha are its racial modifiers. This doesn't make for a particularly balanced race.

I am not sure how it can use its tusks and bite at the same time.

Debby

Jergmo
2014-01-15, 08:12 PM
When creating the lontodon, I was comparing it to minotaur and ogre stats. Look at it this way:

The lontodon has 8 RHD and +4 LA, giving it a base ECL of 12.

It has +12 Str, +8 Con, -4 Int, -4 Cha, +5 natural armor, extra natural attacks and an ability similar to rage.

An ogre has 4 RHD and +2 LA, giving it a base ECL of 6.

It has +10 Str, +4 Con, -4 Int, -4 Cha, +5 natural armor.

There's a difference of +2 Str and +4 Con, but the lontodon is geared towards a flurry of natural attacks while the ogre is geared towards a two-handed weapon. I felt that a 6th level ogre barbarian, for example, would be far superior to a base lontodon. Is it an issue of the LA not behind high enough for its abilities?

Should I explicitly make it so frenzy can't work alongside rage? Do they work together?

As far as gore and bite being used together, I envisioned them slashing with their tusks and then lunging to bite. Do you think it would be better served as a pure gore attack?

Debihuman
2014-01-16, 04:36 PM
"As far as gore and bite being used together, I envisioned them slashing with their tusks and then lunging to bite. Do you think it would be better served as a pure gore attack?"

It should be able to gore or bite but not both at the same time.

Attack: Claw +13 melee (2d6+6)
Full Attack: 2 claws +13 melee (2d6+6) and gore +8 melee (1d8+3) or 2 claws +13 melee (2d6+6) and bite +8 melee (1d4+3)

Debby