PDA

View Full Version : [Monster] The Librarian of the Bag

Frojoe21
2007-01-22, 06:54 PM
Jonas the rogue had never seen a bag of holding before, so when he found his first one in an abandoned dragon's cave during his third adventure, he became quite enamoured with it. He stored everything he could in that bag of holding, until a couple months later, it ran out of room. In order to make some more room, he turned the bag inside out, in hopes of emptying its entire contents and sorting out what he wanted to keep in it and what he did not want in it.

To his surprise however, when turning the bag inside out, a small man with wrinkled green skin fell out.

"I am the librarian of this bag of holding. Why am I not in my bag. Please put me back"

Unsure what to think of the situation, Jonas simply put him back in the bag and forgot about his plan to make space in his bag of holding.

A librarian of the bag, he thought. How strange...

There has long been question to what actually goes on in a bag of holding, and how does whatever you desire from the bag appear in your hand. The answer, in fact, is a small extraplanar creature who makes a home of the bag. No one knows how they get there, but it is assumed that whenever an extraplanar pocket is tied to a bag of holding, a Librarian is created to inhabit it.

The Librarian of the Bag CR 3
Always Neutral Good Small Outsider (Psionic)
Init +2 Senses Spot +11, Listen +11; See in darkness
Languages Common; Telepathy (anything within the bag of holding)
Aura Detect Thoughts
----------------------------------------
AC 17, touch 15, Flat footed 14
(+2 Dex, +1 Size, +2 Natural, +2 Insight)
hp 18 (4hd)
Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +8
Speed 90ft (18 Squares);
Melee Claw +4 (1d4 plus stun)
Base Atk +4 Grp +0
Atk Options Stun (DC 16 negates)
Psi-Like Abilities (ML 8)
At will: Psionic Identify, Sense Link
1/day: Clairvoyant Sense, Sensitivity to Psychic Impressions
Spell Like Abilities (CL 8)
At will: Identify, Repair Light Damage*
1/day: Fox's Cunning, Dominate Monster (DC 21)
*Spell appears in Complete Arcane and the Eberron Campaign Setting. If you do not own this book, replace with Cure Light Wounds, but it can only affect objects
Abilities Str 10, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 17, Wis 19, Cha 14
SQ Bonus Skill Points, Detect Thoughts DC 25, Lore, Outsider Traits, Sage
Feats Ability focus (Detect Thoughts), Skill Focus (Appraise)
Skills Appraise +23, Concentration +7, Decipher Script +10, Forgery +10, Knowledge (All categories) +14, Listen +11, Psicraft +8, Search +9, Spellcraft +8, Spot +11, Use Magic Device +9, Use Psionic Device +9
Advancement 5-7hd (Small)
Bonus Skill Points (Ex): A librarian of the bag gains additional skill points as a human would
Lore (Su): As Bardic Knowledge, except the Librarian of the bag's effective bard level is 4 plus his hit dice
Sage (Ex): A librarian of the bag has an extremely high capacity for learning new information. As such, as long as the Librarian has ranks in at least one knowledge skill, all other knowledge skills gain a competence bonus equal to the Librarian's ranks in that knowledge skills. In addition, a Librarian of the bag can make knowledge checks untrained
Stun (Ex): Developed as a defensive ability, whenever a Librarian of the Bag strikes an opponent, it must make a fortitude save or be stunned. The save is wisdom based.
Skills: A librarian of the bag has a +4 racial bonus on all knowledge skills and a +10 racial bonus on appraise checks

Combat
A Librarian of the Bag is a weak combatant at best. It is completely safe as long as it is in it's Bag of Holding. It dominates a nearby creature and commands it to protect it or place it in it's bag, whichever goal seems more attainable at the time.

Ecology
There is no society of Librarians as far as anyone knows. These beings just appear in bags of holding when they are created, and crave little more than to organize the contents in a space efficient manner and give them to whoever is reaching into the bag. There is no known way of summoning them other than turning a bag of holding inside out. For the most part, these creatures do not like being outside of their extraplanar household and subsequently ask to be put back into the bag if taken out. If its request is not heeded, it will simply resort to using its dominate monster spell-like ability to force the nearest creature to do so.

The odd Librarian of the Bag who is not put back into its home simply exists, until another such bag can be procured. Any spellcaster who creates a bag of holding can do it for 1/4 of the XP cost if a stray Librarian is present, and the Librarian becomes indebted to the creator of the new bag. At the DMs discression, the bag could become the next largest type if a player character creates a new home for a Librarian.

If, for some odd instance two Librarians occupy the same bag, two things could happen. Either the newest librarian returns to whence it came, or the two combine into a new one, effectively advancing 2 hit dice.

When a bag of holding is placed into a portable hole or another extraplanar holding area, the Librarian simply is transported to the Astral plane. After one "year" in the astral plane, it goes back from whence it came.

Sample Encounter
A bag of holding in the PCs possession will not let the only item left in the bag leave the bag of holding. While investigating, the PC turns the bag of holding inside out, and a Librarian named Schmidt pops out, clutching that item for dear life. He asks to be put back into the bag, but demands that he keeps the item, as without anything to organize, his life has no meaning.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Designers notes: This was inspired from the latest D&D podcast that made it official that when a bag of holding is turned inside out, a little goblin pops out stating that he is the Librarian of the bag. Since no such stats existed, voila!

Comments? Constructive Criticism? Cruller?

bosssmiley
2007-01-23, 03:44 PM
The Librarian should always refuse to allow the owner of the bag to remove the final item therein. If this ever happens he will enter the ambiguous, but terrifying, existential state known as "out of stock". Without things to categorize and tabulate within his weightless and timeless extra-dimensional space the Librarian begins to doubt its' own existence.

(what? Don't get it? You've never had to deal with a quartermaster's or supplies dept?)

ampcptlogic
2007-01-23, 03:52 PM
I'm somewhat dubious about the knowledge synergy. Effectively, one's knowledge check on any subject would be INT+all ranks in knowledge.

That seems excessive. Would reducing the synergy threshold (from, say, 5 to 2?) on other skill checks work?

Fredderf
2007-01-23, 05:09 PM
No, I disagree. The creature won't offer help to adventurers, it dosn't care if the warlord kills the owner of the bag, it just wants to keep the bag tidy and neat. I like it.

P.S. Bosssmiley's idea is cool!

Frojoe21
2007-01-23, 05:48 PM
The Librarian should always refuse to allow the owner of the bag to remove the final item therein. If this ever happens he will enter the ambiguous, but terrifying, existential state known as "out of stock". Without things to categorize and tabulate within his weightless and timeless extra-dimensional space the Librarian begins to doubt its' own existence.

(what? Don't get it? You've never had to deal with a quartermaster's or supplies dept?)

Perhaps the creature has no concept of boredom? This creature exists to make a bag of holding work, so I don't think he would be opposed to letting the last item go. However, that could be an interesting encounter. I should add it as a sample encounter.

I'm somewhat dubious about the knowledge synergy. Effectively, one's knowledge check on any subject would be INT+all ranks in knowledge.

That seems excessive. Would reducing the synergy threshold (from, say, 5 to 2?) on other skill checks work?

Actually, it works similarily to skill groups in Iron Heroes. By putting one rank in a knowledge skill, the Librarian effectively gains the same ranks in other knowledge skills. Its basically an excuse to give him more skills than he is entitled to.

knightsaline
2007-01-24, 01:44 AM
Question, if you are not using complete arcane or ebberon setting or spell compedium, could you get this librarian to heal you?

Frojoe21
2007-01-24, 04:26 AM
Wouldn't think so, as presumably one using this creature would have the Expanded psionics handbook...um...handy. Repair damage appears in that book, so the concept wouldn't be unfamiliar to the DM. However, I will change the wording to clarify