PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Class Feature: Class Level as Competence Bonus to Skills

Rowanomicon
2014-01-17, 12:49 PM
This thread is intended to ask for feedback on a Class Feature and variations there of that I have been considering for quite some time.

The most basic form of this feature would be something like this:

Dedicated Practice (Ex)
At level X a(n) Y may choose one skill to which they may add their Class Level as a Competence Bonus.

A Class that relies heavily on such bonuses might have have something like this:

Dedicated Practice (Ex)
At each level a(n) Y may choose one skill to which they may add their Class Level as a Competence Bonus.
The Y may not choose the same skill twice.

Improved Dedicated Practice (Ex)
At level Z and each level thereafter the Y may choose as skill for their Dedicated Practice that they have chosen before to receive a Competence Bonus up to twice their Class Level.

Greater Dedicated Practice (Ex)
At level Z and each level thereafter the Y may choose as skill for their Dedicated Practice that they have chosen before to receive a Competence Bonus up to thrice their Class Level.

As well as wanting general feedback on balance and utility I have a few specific question including:

1. Just how powerful is this? Should it be a primary/secondary/tertiary Class Feature of a Tier N Base Class?

2. Are there any skills that should be banned? UMD? Diplomacy?

3. How far could the chain of Improved and Greater version go? Up to 5 times CL?

4. Obviously this could start at level 1, but when would it be appropriate to double, triple or quadruple a bonus? Levels 5, 10, 15 & 20?

5. How many skills would it be reasonable to give this bonus to for one Class? How many could reasonably be doubles, tripled or quadrupled?

6. What about a Class Feature that grants a CL bonus to multiple skills? Ex. All skills dependent on a single Ability OR all skills dependent on any physical Ability

7. What are some of the most/least useful (to the character) options?

8. What are some of the most/least usable (to the homebrewer) options?

I'm also interested in reading anything else that comes up for you.
A big part of posting this is to get reviews and criticisms form other peoples' perspectives.

My sincere thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond to this!