PDA

View Full Version : Erfworld 19?

Sir_Faust
2007-01-23, 10:09 AM
I just read it and there wasn't a discussion thread!:smallannoyed:
Anywho it's cool the way he is so tall. LOL "or everyone else is short"
Notice the proportions of his limbs hasn't changed. Only the art style.:smallsmile:

Minchandre
2007-01-23, 10:13 AM
All I can say is, "Erf!"

Also, ending someone's existence for not following orders seems a little harsh. Why not just use a more conventional will-binding?

beholder
2007-01-23, 10:25 AM
sometimes you have to be cruel to be...cruel.
wandas expression in the second last panel is priceless

TinSoldier
2007-01-23, 10:26 AM
Early update! Yay!

Not much to comment on. Hmm.

I am wondering why Parson is in such pain. I dunno if it's just an after effect of the transport or something else... it seems like a bit of dialog has been dedicated to it.

DarkLightDragon
2007-01-23, 10:30 AM
"Wow, he's tall!"

That got me laughing.

Axorcist
2007-01-23, 10:34 AM
I was shaking with laughter at the "Or everyone else is short." Giant potato man smash punny game characters! Go Parson!

Xaspian
2007-01-23, 10:34 AM
"Debatedly"

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-23, 10:42 AM
I am wondering why Parson is in such pain. I dunno if it's just an after effect of the transport or something else... it seems like a bit of dialog has been dedicated to it.

Having your art style changed probably hurts quite a bit.

Wallyz
2007-01-23, 10:42 AM
All I can say is, "Erf!"

Also, ending someone's existence for not following orders seems a little harsh. Why not just use a more conventional will-binding?

Disbanding in Warlords is more permanent than in our world.

TinSoldier
2007-01-23, 10:44 AM
Having your art style changed probably hurts quite a bit.Huh?

I didn't see any art style changes.

Axl_Rose
2007-01-23, 10:44 AM
In either case, scrubbed. And that's what's funny!

Erfmod: Flaming groups of people is still flaming. Action issued. Read the rules.

MoelVermillion
2007-01-23, 10:47 AM
Another good comic, i do somewhat feel sorry for Parson, having to follow the orders of an idiot like Stanley or perish.

Anyone still game to try to suggest Parson and Wanda "get together" after looking at the size of Parson :smallwink:.

(First post but I've been lurking for a while)

Beermancer
2007-01-23, 10:48 AM
Ok, i waited enough.

At the first time, i was a little confused reading this comic. Probabilly i'm too much used to the OoTS style. Now the story is defining more and more, and i'm start enjoying it. Well done job.

Parson is my favorite for now.

And, wow, he's REALLY big :O

Boopin' said :smalltongue:

Emperor Demonking
2007-01-23, 10:50 AM
He is a giant, didn't someone predict that.

Sky_Schemer
2007-01-23, 10:59 AM
I guess this ends the "Parson X Wanda" thread. ;)

Hilary Moon Murphy
2007-01-23, 11:05 AM
Okay, this strip has picked up on one of my major concerns from the prior strip. Parson has changed universes to one where:

magic exists;
there are hot sorceresses;
where he is a powerful warlord;
and where his true skills are valued.

Unfortunately, he is still stuck working for a lousy boss who is stupider and less talented than he is! My hope was that he would find a way to overthrow Stanley (who really, really needs overthrowing) but the requirement to obey orders or die aspect of the spell is going to make that very challenging.

I must say that I am delighted to see that Parson is smart enough to quickly figure out what is going on, and to avoid qualifying his successes by telling people, "I created this world! It's all a game!" He's treating both his prior experience leading armies and his current situation as completely real, and I love that!

Hmm

teratorn
2007-01-23, 11:06 AM
Fantastic! "He is alive Lord" cracked me up. Wanda's face in panel 8 is priceless.

Anyone still game to try to suggest Parson and Wanda "get together" after looking at the size of Parson :smallwink:.

Well Wanda is one of those mancer thingies... you never know.

Ceska
2007-01-23, 11:17 AM
My hope was that he would find a way to overthrow Stanley (who really, really needs overthrowing) but the requirement to obey orders or die aspect of the spell is going to make that very challenging.
Well, he could still just throw himself on him. Do we know what happens to Parson if Stanly is dead?

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-23, 11:32 AM
Huh?

I didn't see any art style changes.

He looks 'flatter' in Erfworld than he does in the real world.

SCAScot
2007-01-23, 11:34 AM
scrubbed

scrubbed There is nothing funny about your prejudiced and hateful comment.

Erfmod: Not actioned, just putting out some flames.

TinSoldier
2007-01-23, 11:36 AM
He looks 'flatter' in Erfworld than he does in the real world.Hmm. Maybe. I see less subtle shading and more harsh shading but I chalked that up to the lighting in the Tower of Efdup.

Gamebird
2007-01-23, 11:39 AM
scrubbed There is nothing funny about your prejudiced and hateful comment.

scrubbed

Back to the comic though - what do you think about the double-printing of "debatably"? An error, or was the author trying to express something about the way Parson was talking?

Erfmod: Not actioned, just putting out some flames.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-01-23, 11:41 AM
Both Parson and Stanley said it. The overlapping was to show that they said it simultaneously.

headwarpage
2007-01-23, 11:41 AM
Back to the comic though - what do you think about the double-printing of "debatably"? An error, or was the author trying to express something about the way Parson was talking?

Stanley and Parson were saying it at the same time. It does look odd, though - it took me a couple tries to pick up on the fact that Stanley was saying it too.

Gamebird
2007-01-23, 11:51 AM
Okay, I get that now. Thanks!

Mesousa
2007-01-23, 11:56 AM
Parson is a giant in a playground ...

Sir_Faust
2007-01-23, 11:59 AM
Hey i just though of something, erfworld is a miniature game/rpg right?=explanation for size.

Also his pain is possibly a transformation, to his more cartooned version?

lol ,"debatably".

Mauril Everleaf
2007-01-23, 12:03 PM
Or being transported across time, space and reality isn't a comfortable trip. I doubt it would be.

Sir_Faust
2007-01-23, 12:05 PM
Also you notice his limbs are still FAR more realistic than wanda or stanley's ?(Particularly the hands)

Scudboy
2007-01-23, 01:09 PM
I think I'm a little spoiled by OOTS, where the simple art allows for a lot of panels (and thus plot) on a page, because this comic is approaching Girl Genius levels of slow. I should probably just suck it up and read it in two-week lumps instead of as each new comic comes out. :mitd:

Scudboy
2007-01-23, 01:18 PM
And not to just have a negative note here: I wonder what happens when Parson works out that he's working for what at least in a vanilla fantasy game would be the "evil" side of the game? (I mean, trolls, undead,:xykon: necromancers (sorry, "croakomancers") vs. elves and cute flying critters?) Not like he has a choice. I predict at least some attempts to break or weasel out of the spell.:belkar:

(Also, when do we get erfworld smilies)?

coal
2007-01-23, 01:20 PM
Nothing great to add to the discussion, besides nice continuity on the stain on Parson's shirt. I'm finally addicted... :)

Mr Wizard
2007-01-23, 01:42 PM
Heyya! Parson looks imposing in the last panel.

And Stanley finally gets impressed.

Sage in the Playground
2007-01-23, 01:57 PM

I thought something similar when I saw the Elvises.

Hart av Srednak
2007-01-23, 01:57 PM
I allready have enough reasons to disband you :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

I've always thought that disbanded armies get to go home.. but now I know better... lol

Well Wanda is one of those mancer thingies... you never know.
Yeah Giantsize Self spell for Wanda and J Tangos Fatbusters spell for Parson :smalltongue:

Hmm. Maybe. I see less subtle shading and more harsh shading but I chalked that up to the lighting in the Tower of Efdup.
I also saw that as change in lightinig... and his realworld-voice-font hasn't changed either

Rocheforte
2007-01-23, 02:03 PM
And not to just have a negative note here: I wonder what happens when Parson works out that he's working for what at least in a vanilla fantasy game would be the "evil" side of the game? (I mean, trolls, undead,:xykon: necromancers (sorry, "croakomancers") vs. elves and cute flying critters?) Not like he has a choice. I predict at least some attempts to break or weasel out of the spell.:belkar:

I don't think Parson will have a moral issue with being a bad guy. I am sure he'll try to weasel out of his servitude, though. I can see Stanley saying something like "Just kill me now and get it over with"....

And smilies would be nice, but where are the avatars?

Madalin
2007-01-23, 02:18 PM
I have a theory that in addition to the censorship, you feel pain when you try to swear in Erfworld. Hence all the "Boop. OW! Boop. OW!"
I may be utterly nuts, but hey, it's a theory.

jami
2007-01-23, 02:21 PM
I don't think Parson will have a moral issue with being a bad guy. I am sure he'll try to weasel out of his servitude, though. I can see Stanley saying something like "Just kill me now and get it over with"....

And smilies would be nice, but where are the avatars?

Some guys are making Erfworld Avatars over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28987).

teratorn
2007-01-23, 02:31 PM
Some guys are making Erfworld Avatars over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28987).

Wow those guys are good. I checked that thread when there were only a couple of posts and was just following your suggestion of using specific panels of the comic but I may try a go at one of those things.

Demosthenes
2007-01-23, 02:33 PM
Hmm, I'm liking erfworld so far, and am looking forward to the next couple of pages and whatnot. However, I wondering regarding the whole "Serve you master or die". Wouldn't he be bound to Wanda since she cast the spell, or what?

Meh. my two cents

Sebastian Bux
2007-01-23, 02:34 PM
SWEET! Someone else got carded instead of me! YAY!

By the way, on that, Rob, you forgot to edit out the quote someone made of the post you edited. It's farther down on the same thread page.

As for Erfworld,
On the use of "debatably" in panel three... it may be more effective to use the word once but tie it to both speakers. As it exists now it appears more difficult to read then anything else and detracts from the impact of the effect being made.

I'm also a bit confused how they could not have known he was that big just standing next to him, but maybe they did and I just didn't a sense for it while I was reading it myself. I guess Stanley realizes he's big, but not that he's going to be so tall standing up. Still, I would love to know how he's getting out of that room. That's a pretty small door....

EDITED:
By the way, at first I was thinking that having his existance ended entirely seemed harsh, but then I realized that it does fit with a RTS strategy of disbanding units. They usually just disappear and that's that. However, I would think that Wanda not being a findamancer may not have been able to bind Parson fully as the spell might have done if cast properly. So it's only a matter of time before he probably realizes that he's not quite as "chained" as they would have him believe.

fehler
2007-01-23, 02:42 PM
Na, the door is just in the distance.

Bogroll is pretty big, and he seems to move about the castle ok. Shouldn't be a problem until Parson needs a chair.

Or armor. Or uniform. Or a horse/riding animal of some kind.

We also don't know who's "evil" in this world. Just because one side has twolls, dwagons, and croakmancers, and the other side orlies and cloth gollums doesn't give us a hint of the benefits and detriments of their individual systems of governance.

NegroSuave
2007-01-23, 03:01 PM

He's a Game Master... he is ALWAYS the bad guy

Kanthalion
2007-01-23, 03:12 PM
I agree that, whether or not they are the "Bad Guys," Parson will have absolutely no moral qualms about it.

Oh and panel 8, both Stanley and Wanda are so *cute* you just want to pinch their chibi cheeks.

SteveMB
2007-01-23, 03:31 PM
All I can say is, "Erf!"

Hmmm... I wonder if Wanda's comment (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0005.html) that she's "allowed" to reject an order because she's convinced that it will lead to Stanley's destruction (implying that lesser reasons, such as thinking the order is stupid but not critically so, are insufficient) implies that she's similarly bound?

Scudboy
2007-01-23, 03:32 PM
Actually, even beyond the bad guy thing, I gotta say I'd be dubious about fighting a war to endow Stanley with the Power Cosmic or whatever it is he gets for collecting all the Plot Devices / Artifacts.

Erfworld as a retelling of Remains of the Day.

ref
2007-01-23, 03:39 PM
close to bottom of page 2 and noone yet mentioned that Parson must have a very good point of view on Wanda's, er... spells! What's wrong with you guys? :smallwink: :smalltongue:

Jorkens
2007-01-23, 03:40 PM
Actually, even beyond the bad guy thing, I gotta say I'd be dubious about fighting a war to endow Stanley with the Power Cosmic or whatever it is he gets for collecting all the Plot Devices / Artifacts.

Parson's a gamer. He's been offered control of a small and mostly quite rubbish army who've got to defend a fortified situation against more numerous and more powerful foes. They have a tiny chance of winning, and even that would require almost impossibly brilliant planning and leadership.

What's not to like about the situation? Why on Erf wouldn't he want to do it?

Kanthalion
2007-01-23, 03:42 PM
I wonder: will these Arkentools get Parson back to the "real" world? and even if they will, will he want to go?

Scudboy
2007-01-23, 03:45 PM
Parson's a gamer. He's been offered control of a small and mostly quite rubbish army who've got to defend a fortified situation against more numerous and more powerful foes. They have a tiny chance of winning, and even that would require almost impossibly brilliant planning and leadership.

What's not to like about the situation? Why on Erf wouldn't he want to do it?

Like I said, Remains of the Day. Or, say, you're given control of the Third Reich's defense, circa 1944 or so. What if, against all odds, you start to pull it out?

faerwain
2007-01-23, 03:51 PM
Hm, could get used to look at Wanda from parson's View angle..:smallredface: (awaiting the anime-like hammer on the head)
I think we are in for some funny future duells in sarcasm between Parson and Stanley, they could really have chemistry in arguing. Looking forward to them developing.

Everybody seems so convinced that Parson really gets eradicated for disobeying. At it is, I would bet my money on this spell not existing, and simply being a spontaneous and clever reaction of Wanda to control the situation in front of her commander.

AyuVince
2007-01-23, 03:58 PM
One of the Erfworld artists said the storyline will be finished by summer 2007, so we only have 40 or so strips to go. I can't wait to see Parson in his new job.

Gamebird
2007-01-23, 04:48 PM
Anyone else notice that the woman in panel 3 of this: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0007.html looks an awful lot like Wilma Flintsone?

Solmage
2007-01-23, 05:29 PM
Well, count me in as a new fan, just hadn't gotten around to post here :). As the story has now been established and going pretty well, I find I enjoy and look forward to the next comic a lot.

Great work folks!

plainsfox
2007-01-23, 05:38 PM
I think that the phrase "Becareful of what you wish for" is going to be in full force for Erfworld.

I think Parson will survive by giving Stanely EXACTLY what he asked for....and in the same token, giving him nothing.

Ryke Masters
2007-01-23, 05:45 PM
Anyone else notice that the woman in panel 3 of this: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0007.html looks an awful lot like Wilma Flintsone?

I was atually just looking at that, and I did noticed she looked like a Flintstone. Dunno if it was intended, considering it would truly be entirely random, unless there's some reason to make a character a Flintstone that I'm not seeing.

TimeWizard
2007-01-23, 06:04 PM
Ok, i waited enough.

At the first time, i was a little confused reading this comic. Probabilly i'm too much used to the OoTS style. Now the story is defining more and more, and i'm start enjoying it. Well done job.

Parson is my favorite for now.

And, wow, he's REALLY big :O

Boopin' said :smalltongue:

Careful with that, you came dangeously close to saying Big O.

Edit: gah damn it, I said it.

Stormthorn
2007-01-23, 06:26 PM
Yes! My prediction about Parsons hight based off of what i saw in the last comic came true! He really is tall! Im not crazy and mis-reading the angles. I can SEE!!!

EmeraldRose
2007-01-23, 07:15 PM
I absolutely loved Wanda's expression when she was looking up at Parson!!!! :smallsmile:

innovan
2007-01-23, 07:16 PM
Now everyone is bound by death to follow orders except Stanley?

Ugh. That's going to have more holes than a pound of swiss cheese. Starting with "how did an idiot like Stanley get to be the guy at the top of the pyramid ordering around people far more talented than he is?" and then veering into "if Lords are always killing eachother off all the time, how are new Lords created/get kingdoms? Certainly not from underlings breaking off --they'd be autokilled at their first disobedience."

Imminent death as a plot device for character motivation gets dull quickly. The fact is people with a gun held to their head all the time get exausted quickly and start making poor decisions after about 2 hours of stress. Plus it just stunts all character development --which long term is what really hooks people in. How Parson himself changes and grows is what we will remember in the end. It should be deeper than, "He ran around for 80 pages with a gun held to his head, and the gun didn't go off."

I'd rather just have Parson's motivations be "because it's cool and I want to", "I love proving how clever I am" or "because I live and breathe gaming" and not have to rationalize it with a bunch of spell mumbo-jumbo of "if he doesn't follow orders, he'll die".

18 and 19 have too many standing figures and stationary head shots, and too much dialoging. We don't need a whole montage about "Parson slowly discovers he has a headache" which is what this is turning out to be. The train was put on the track long ago, we know where it going, it's time to leave the station already! This world is custom made to Parson's skills. It's gonna fit him like a glove. You're retelling a version of "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" where the smart guy is dropped into a world of dummies and with knowledge we all take for granted turns it on its head and makes it revolve around him. We accept that already.

Give the artist something to draw besides static people standing around engaged in exposition.

You should have faded on their first meeting scene in box three with an ellipses and left some things unexplained. Enough with Parson whining about his headache, which is dull. Enough dwaddling a whole page just to set up a punchline at the bottom.

Change the scene, put Parson in charge, present him with his first challenge! Zombies vs Crapgolums, Parson to checkmate Sizemore and spare him, gaining a valuable ally.

Darth Paradox
2007-01-23, 07:26 PM
Patience, grasshopper. This page was necessary to provide some specific details - like the level of control Stanley claims over Parson, and the revelation that Parson is in fact huge. It's not something you want to throw away with a panel of reference and move on.

And you note how Parson reacted when he was asked if he'd commanded armies? If he didn't want to do it, ultimately, why wouldn't he just say that he's only played games before? However much pain and discomfort he's in, I think on some level he knows that he wants to do this.

Ulrich_Brew
2007-01-23, 08:00 PM
I'd estimate Parson to be 10-20ish units tall, Wanda 2, Stanley 1.

Don't rule out a Parson Wanda relationship, how are half giants made?

teratorn
2007-01-23, 08:01 PM
Patience, grasshopper.
Well, he was also kind of a Parson Gotti. That reference brought back some nice memories, and it calmed my reaction to the previous comments. Thank you Sir.

I agree with you, I prefer it this way. The authors have set sort of a deadline, implying a determinate number of strips and it seems to me that if they take the time it's because they feel it is important. Of course I want to know more about the story but I also want it to flow properly, later on, when I buy the book.

fwiffo
2007-01-23, 09:03 PM
It's a good thing that Plaid tribe second in command turned out to be a woman. Stanley is such a guy, he just wanted BIG! Wanda, on the other hand, seems to know it is not how big your warlord is, it's how well you use him.

skreweded
2007-01-23, 09:07 PM
This is, so far, my end all to be all "ZOMG GMAER GTO SUTCK IN THE GAEM!!!"*

*typos intentional.

Sebastian Bux
2007-01-23, 09:12 PM
Imminent death as a plot device for character motivation gets dull quickly. The fact is people with a gun held to their head all the time get exausted quickly and start making poor decisions after about 2 hours of stress. Plus it just stunts all character development --which long term is what really hooks people in. How Parson himself changes and grows is what we will remember in the end. It should be deeper than, "He ran around for 80 pages with a gun held to his head, and the gun didn't go off."

I'd rather just have Parson's motivations be "because it's cool and I want to", "I love proving how clever I am" or "because I live and breathe gaming" and not have to rationalize it with a bunch of spell mumbo-jumbo of "if he doesn't follow orders, he'll die".

18 and 19 have too many standing figures and stationary head shots, and too much dialoging. We don't need a whole montage about "Parson slowly discovers he has a headache" which is what this is turning out to be. The train was put on the track long ago, we know where it going, it's time to leave the station already! This world is custom made to Parson's skills. It's gonna fit him like a glove. You're retelling a version of "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" where the smart guy is dropped into a world of dummies and with knowledge we all take for granted turns it on its head and makes it revolve around him. We accept that already.

Give the artist something to draw besides static people standing around engaged in exposition.

You should have faded on their first meeting scene in box three with an ellipses and left some things unexplained. Enough with Parson whining about his headache, which is dull. Enough dwaddling a whole page just to set up a punchline at the bottom.

Change the scene, put Parson in charge, present him with his first challenge! Zombies vs Crapgolums, Parson to checkmate Sizemore and spare him, gaining a valuable ally.

Lots of fair points in this post. It's been said many time and many ways since i've been here that this isn't your quick fix comic (it takes time to build and all that). Now I personally am not that patient either, but I've come to accept (cause I don't have a choice really) that this comix is going to plod along at it's own pace now matter how much some of us may want differently.

So in the end, all you can do on some of your points is be patient. They will get around to it... eventually. I still say that the last few days of updates would have been better served all in one update to keep the story moving, but that's a decision the authors will have to work out on their own (as far as their timing is concerned).

One last observation on that ... I think Jamie mentioned somewhere in a thread that they (Rob and He) work on Erfworld in the spare time between their other real (and paying) jobs. It's more than likely, and this is a supisition on my part, that they just don't have the time to put out more then what we're getting at the moment. So if that's the case it's really going to have to be something that we (those who don't like the pacing) will have to get over.

On the subject of imminent death as a means of control thing ... it's a plot device, what can you do. It's how it goes from here that really matters. It's frustrating but we're gonna have to wait (again) in order to see how it plays out. On this, I don't think Rob is going to leave it at that, I think he's thinking more complexly (is that a word) then that. We'll see....

I don't really like the Parson's character that much. He seems way too calm about things. Maybe that's the intention because he's the perfect warlord and all, but he's taking this all pretty darn well. I don't know how savvy I'd be if I were in his shoes at the moment, but it isn't quite as believeable as I'd like. Again, hard to pin these thoughts down without more to go on.

Aiani
2007-01-23, 09:25 PM
Hmm I kinda hope that Parson steps on Stanley at some point. It would be funny and Stanley would deserve it. Anyway the second to the last panel was priceless. Nicely done.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-01-23, 09:35 PM
I wonder, if Stanley hadn't asked Wanda to "make him big," would Parson have appeared normal-sized?

(Thus, if one of the other gamers is summoned by the Prince, they could appear normal-sized. ...that could be rather amusing. "Parsons?! You were big before, but this is going a bit far.")

BSOM180
2007-01-23, 10:43 PM
Alright, I'm just guestimating, but looking at the size of Wanda and the other human-like characters, the bobble-head skeletons, the peeps and teddy-bears, I'm thinking that Parson is the exact same size he was on Earth. I think that all the humanoids are about actionfigure sized, hence they can ride on large spiders and peeps. Marbits look about the size of marshmallow bits compared to the rimestone and spiders. The peeps are smaller than a plushy dwagon. I think Parson is human sized. So, I bet anything he's in a nice position for fighting. He most likely can easily "snack on gwiffons and eat marbits for breakfast." So let's wait til he's outside and we can compare him to everything in a different perspective. I think it would be really funny if he just picked up a "cloth-golem" and gave it a hug or something.

A second theory I have, is I think very much that this is the exact RPG he designed for his players, and though some things might be different like the faces and such, that the general statistics are the same. That would help explain his calmness. He can easily look at Wanda and think "sorceress" even though in the real world no such things exist and I'd personally think "Tiny Goth Chick?" Perhaps that's why he very quickly assumed he was dreaming or comatose.

Mr Wizard
2007-01-23, 10:56 PM
I don't think he is that big. Remember, he has to be small enough that, while on hands and knees, Stanly and Wanda can't tell how tall he is. I would say that makes him about three times taller than An average erfworlder. That would make Wanda and Stanley abot the size of an 5 to 7 year old human child.

TinSoldier
2007-01-23, 11:17 PM
Anyone else notice that the woman in panel 3 of this: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0007.html looks an awful lot like Wilma Flintsone?Yes, it has been mentioned in other threads and confirmed by Jamie I believe.

Do a thread search for "Wilma".

Cyclone231
2007-01-23, 11:34 PM
I'm pretty sure he's in a lot of pain because he was summoned by the spell by a croakamancer, not a findamancer. Since croakamancers probably have a wide array of damage spells.

faerwain
2007-01-24, 01:04 AM
Patience, grasshopper. (snip)

Well, he was also kind of a Parson Gotti. That reference brought back some nice memories(snippity snip)
Educate me. What are you two referring to?

5tephen
2007-01-24, 01:50 AM
I don't thingk Parson is being suave and cool- I think he still believes he is dreaming. Or in a coma or having a stroke.

Also, if you want a decent size estimation of Parson, go back one page and look at page 18, panel 10. I reckon Stanley and Wanda are just over his knee's height...? If he is 20 times bigger, then what's the point of him being a great warlord? he could just swipe the enemies off the board.

And Parson is still being drawn the same way, not all cartoony. Look at page 18 panel 13, and page 19 panel 5.

Now- as to whether or not this is the game that Parson was writing:
Page 2 panel 7 and Page 3, panels 2 & 3
vs
Page 16, panels 1 and 6.

Compare.

SmartAlec
2007-01-24, 01:54 AM
This comic is about more than just a headache. It's about the relationship between Parson and Stanley, which I get the impression is going to be very important to the story as a whole.

The_Old_Fox
2007-01-24, 02:20 AM
man, in that last panel Parson looks like he is about to throw down on little Lord Stanley. I wonder thought, if this is in fact Parson's game if he created Wanda and Stanley as well as their personalities and can use his OoC knowledge to manipulate the situation.

Also, if Stanley and his force were designed by Parson to be the NPC force and eventually be defeated, it is rather ironic that his life is now tied too characters that he designed to die. Just a thought.

Querzis
2007-01-24, 03:07 AM
man, in that last panel Parson looks like he is about to throw down on little Lord Stanley. I wonder thought, if this is in fact Parson's game if he created Wanda and Stanley as well as their personalities and can use his OoC knowledge to manipulate the situation.

Also, if Stanley and his force were designed by Parson to be the NPC force and eventually be defeated, it is rather ironic that his life is now tied too characters that he designed to die. Just a thought.

I really dont think he is in his own game but really in another world. After all, he doesnt sound like a guy who would use «boop» to censor or call is monsters gwiffon, dwagon or Orly. Hes just in another world that is a mix between a MMORPG and a tactical game.

Anyway I dont get the people thinking that the fact that Parson is bound to follow all the order of Stanley is odd. After all, why the hell would we summon a perfect warlord if we are not sure he is gonna follow your order? Any people smart enough to be a perfect warlord would also be smart enough to get the hell out of there instead of fighting a far stronger enemy army. Beside, this world is a mix between MMORPG and a tactical game so if one of your unit dont listen to you, you are suppose to be able to delete it. I'm pretty sure Wanda is also bound to lord Stanley.

tomaO2
2007-01-24, 03:09 AM
I think Parson is around the size of a dwagon and Stanly is more around the size of Parson's t-shirt hamster picture. I also personally love the way he grasps the situation so quickly with none of the anxiety and doubt that usually go on in these sudden teleportations. He really is ACTING like a warlord within 2 minutes on his arrival. I'm really liking him.

I have some questions for the authors if they don't mind. They seem responsive (as new authors tend to be before all the fandom takes too big a toll, heh).

1. can you tell us the reason why you decided not to alter Parson into the art style of the world he has transported to? More then the size issue the total strangeness of his body is an interesting choice. Usually when you hop a dimention from, say, the cartoon world to the "real" world the cartoon will change to reflect the environment.

2. In comic 18 Wanda acted shocked when Parson said he understood. Was she shocked because she thought he wasn't capable of understanding language as Stanly figured?

3. Why was Stanly dissapointed with Parson's body. He looks like a Twoll in shape. Are Twolls looked down on? Twolls seems to be important in the army and being evil seems to bean all sorts of odd shapes. Why is Stanly so freeking hard on him? This seems excessive.

4. Have you given thought to long term changes to Parson? Growing a beard for instance OR (and I'd really like it if you did this) becoming more athletic due to his new environment? I think it would be fantastic if, during the course of doing this comic for a few years, (assuming it lasts) that we see Parson become the dashing looking person Stanly wanted him to be. I want Parson to start getting in shape. To learn how to fight. To kill opposing fighters on his own and to grab gwiffens, rip them apart and eat them.

5. Speaking of Gwiffens, how can a giant marshmallow actually bite things? It' a freeking marshmellow. It's like being bitten by your toothless old grampa. :P

PS For me I was bored at first but I promised to go 10 pages before deciding. When I got there I still wasn't interested but I knew this warlord that was to be summoned would likely be the most important character so I wated. I got REALLY interested when I found out who the warlord was. Don't forget to add Parson to the cast gallery.

Illiander
2007-01-24, 06:48 AM
Careful with that, you came dangeously close to saying Big O.

Edit: gah damn it, I said it.

ghaaa

why'd you have to bring that up? :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious:

good strip, and I'd like to add another vote for "Parson gets in shape"

teratorn
2007-01-24, 07:22 AM
Educate me. What are you two referring to?

Now I feel really old. Grasshopper was a term used by the blind Master Po to refer to young Kwai Chang Caine, in the TV series Kung Fu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_%28TV_series%29) (circa 1972-1975 in the USA, a little bit later in my country).

Jorkens
2007-01-24, 08:09 AM
Now everyone is bound by death to follow orders except Stanley?

Ugh. That's going to have more holes than a pound of swiss cheese. Starting with "how did an idiot like Stanley get to be the guy at the top of the pyramid ordering around people far more talented than he is?" and then veering into "if Lords are always killing eachother off all the time, how are new Lords created/get kingdoms? Certainly not from underlings breaking off --they'd be autokilled at their first disobedience."

Bear in mind that none of this has happened yet. Judging a comic based on things that haven't actually happened in it but that you think might be going to happen seems a little forward. So far we have no evidence that anyone except Parson is on an 'obey or die' arrangement - Wanda's comment in issue five may refer to some entirely different contractual obligations...

Also, bear in mind that one of Stanley's requests was "I don't want a morale case - get me someone who actually wants to be summoned."

Jorkens
2007-01-24, 08:18 AM
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#800080]I have some questions for the authors if they don't mind. They seem responsive (as new authors tend to be before all the fandom takes too big a toll, heh).
I am not them, but...

1. can you tell us the reason why you decided not to alter Parson into the art style of the world he has transported to? More then the size issue the total strangeness of his body is an interesting choice. Usually when you hop a dimention from, say, the cartoon world to the "real" world the cartoon will change to reflect the environment.
It looks quite cool!

2. In comic 18 Wanda acted shocked when Parson said he understood. Was she shocked because she thought he wasn't capable of understanding language as Stanly figured?
I think his "I understand" refers to the whole situation, not just to the language. And either Wanda sees that and is slightly surprised that he's grasped the situation so quickly, or she's not sure what he's referring to and is asking "you do?" in the sense of "so what do you understand, then?"

3. Why was Stanly dissapointed with Parson's body. He looks like a Twoll in shape. Are Twolls looked down on? Twolls seems to be important in the army and being evil seems to bean all sorts of odd shapes. Why is Stanly so freeking hard on him? This seems excessive.
He's not particularly pretty, is he? Stanley's got the idea that a good Warlord has to look something like Ansom. It might take him a while to get around to the idea that a giant potato man can lead his armies to victory.

4. Have you given thought to long term changes to Parson? Growing a beard for instance OR (and I'd really like it if you did this) becoming more athletic due to his new environment? I think it would be fantastic if, during the course of doing this comic for a few years, (assuming it lasts) that we see Parson become the dashing looking person Stanly wanted him to be. I want Parson to start getting in shape. To learn how to fight. To kill opposing fighters on his own and to grab gwiffens, rip them apart and eat them.
So effectively you want to see him get in shape so he can eat loads of marshmallows? *grins*

5. Speaking of Gwiffens, how can a giant marshmallow actually bite things? It' a freeking marshmellow. It's like being bitten by your toothless old grampa. :P
It's not a marshmallow, it's a gwiffon. It just bears a very close resemblance to a peep, for reasons that aren't yet completely clear.

HTH, HAND.

jami
2007-01-24, 08:52 AM
Jorkens, sounds about right to me :)

Vontango
2007-01-24, 09:15 AM
I am looking forward to seeing Parson tower over Prince Ansom on battle field.

I hope Parson and stanley get along. I like Stanley. He looks like me. And I'm not much smarter.

faerwain
2007-01-24, 09:44 AM
Now I feel really old. Grasshopper was a term used by the blind Master Po to refer to young Kwai Chang Caine, in the TV series Kung Fu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_%28TV_series%29) (circa 1972-1975 in the USA, a little bit later in my country).
Ah, thanks. But you do not need to feel old, the blame is on the TV networks who only showed it on times I was expected at school, so I know near to nothing of the old Kung Fu series besides the premise. Watched some episodes of the sequel series though, the one where Carradine plays Caine's grandson who reunites with his own lost son, a police officer.

(snip-snip)It's not a marshmallow, it's a gwiffon. It just bears a very close resemblance to a peep, for reasons that aren't yet completely clear.
Guess that Parson build the prototype of his game board of old action figures and things he found in his kitchen closet. (And other random stuff, see: Cloth Golems). Let's wait till he has to bring the One Bottlecap to the fires of Mount Cheeto.

pclips
2007-01-24, 10:21 AM
I have some questions for the authors if they don't mind. ...

Yeah Jorkins seems to grok most of what we're doing here. And we've kind of drawn a line where we won't talk about what we've got planned for the story.

But I'll tell ya... when the story is complete, we are going to have a lot of DVD style commentary available about our creative decisions along the way. Whether that's available here or just in the extra pages of the book, I don't know yet. But you just can't believe how much Jami and I have to hold our peace as the discussions and speculations have played out here on the Forums.

All I can really say, Toma, is "I like the way you're thinking." :smallwink:

Zypher_X
2007-01-24, 10:31 AM
Guess that Parson build the prototype of his game board of old action figures and things he found in his kitchen closet. (And other random stuff, see: Cloth Golems). Let's wait till he has to bring the One Bottlecap to the fires of Mount Cheeto.

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

erewhon
2007-01-24, 10:32 AM
I'd estimate Parson to be 10-20ish units tall, Wanda 2, Stanley 1.

Nah. Based on what we saw in the "real world" segment, I'd guess Parson is a bit over six feet and well up in the 350+ pound range. He's a big boy, for sure, and the way he's portrayed implies strongly that there's much more to him than fat, his neck is like a freakin' tree-trunk and his arms are HUGE.

On that scale, I'd say Wanda is a bit under three feet tall, and Lord Stanley is a bit under that. That would make the cloth golems about the same size as Parson, maybe a bit smaller, and Bogroll would be about 5'5". A Gwiffon would be about five feet long, a big full meal of marshmallowy goodness. :)

Is it possible he's even bigger? Yeah, but I'd doubt it. Time will tell. :D

Another thing I find curious is Parson's build. He looks so strong, how does a nerdly gamer get that kind of a build?

I'd guess high school wrestler, good at it, but quit because it could not hold his interest. Not football, Parson doesn't have the build to be quick on his feet, and team sports? Not for him unless he's the quarterback. :D

Don't rule out a Parson Wanda relationship, how are half giants made?

Very carefully. :D

monkofawesome
2007-01-24, 11:09 AM

Well, I'm glad somebody finally said it!

This is really turning out to be a great series, I'm glad I stuck around.

So, has anyone noticed the similarity between Wanda and Parson's female friend? I think he'll start noticing more parallels between his life and the game.

As for the game, I seriously doubt it's the same one he created. Mostly because of the cute name conventions. He seems like a serious wargamer, and kind of reminds me of a few people I've known over the years who get far too into their games (for precisely the same reasons Parson gives in his apartment).

Also, you guys really think he's as tall as a cloth golem? Seriously? Those teddy bears are like six stories tall.

Gamebird
2007-01-24, 11:27 AM
I wonder thought, if this is in fact Parson's game if he created Wanda and Stanley as well as their personalities and can use his OoC knowledge to manipulate the situation.

That would be interesting. Pretty funny and ironic. You make a game and design one side as stupid, overbearing and arrogant, then make the other smart, dashing, handsome and so on. You figure you'll play out the game so that the "good" guys win. Yet you forgot that to build the units on the "evil" side, you gave their sorceress a really high INT, so the evil guys would at least be a challenge at times, despite their ... eh... morale problems.

Then you get summoned into the game for real... but instead of serving the good guys whom you'd thought were cool, you find yourself on the side of the jerkwads you statted out, working for the BBEG. That's gotta suck.

I think it would be fantastic if, during the course of doing this comic for a few years, (assuming it lasts) that we see Parson become the dashing looking person Stanly wanted him to be. I want Parson to start getting in shape.

Character growth = Goodness. However, personally I like the idea that a fat dude can be heroic without having to become not-fat. Ever read Thraxis? Great book. Fat, lazy, drunkard hero. Very cool.

Ew. What an image.

PS For me I was bored at first but I promised to go 10 pages before deciding. When I got there I still wasn't interested but I knew this warlord that was to be summoned would likely be the most important character so I wated. I got REALLY interested when I found out who the warlord was. Don't forget to add Parson to the cast gallery.

Yeah, me too. Though I'm still a member of the club.

Another thing I find curious is Parson's build. He looks so strong, how does a nerdly gamer get that kind of a build?

He looks just like scads of other fat gamer dudes I've seen. There's no doubt that a man who carries around 200 pounds every day has some muscle under there, even if that 200 pounds is made of fat.

Also, has anyone noticed the similarity between Wanda and Parson's female friend?

Yeah, I saw that, but like the Tron stuff and the Wilma Flintstone stuff, it could be just another meaningless coincidence, a la Douglas Adams.

By the way, good idea on the DVD-style commentary. That's something I'll look forward to.

Phlis
2007-01-24, 11:44 AM
Unfortunately, he is still stuck working for a lousy boss who is stupider and less talented than he is! My hope was that he would find a way to overthrow Stanley (who really, really needs overthrowing) but the requirement to obey orders or die aspect of the spell is going to make that very challenging.

Registered Basically just to say this. People can't give orders with broken jaws. Parson being as big as he is, he could just life up stanly by the head while covering his mouth. No orders can be given if you can't breath.

erewhon
2007-01-24, 12:01 PM
He looks just like scads of other fat gamer dudes I've seen. There's no doubt that a man who carries around 200 pounds every day has some muscle under there, even if that 200 pounds is made of fat.

True, true, and at first I thought that he was just a "typical fat guy gamer" but then I re-read stuff. In particular, check his arms in panels 1 and 4 of comic 16. Those are freakin' GUNS, and Jami is a good enough artist that I suspect he drew them exactly the way he wanted them.

Also, check out his neck in panel 7 of comic 16. Seen from below, that's the first good look we get, and our boy Parson is just corded with muscle. How heavy is YOUR head? :) Nah, that looks like somebody has been doing bridges. :D

Also, check out panel 9 of comic 19, his freakin' traps are HUGE. Nobody gets trapezius development like that without serious strength training, or a lifetime of heavy labor. Given that Parson works at a Kinko's, unless he does nothing but load pallets of paper all day, he's done SOMETHING to give him that rather, er, monumental physique. :)

Fat guys are hard to determine, but it looks to me, unless Jami flunked all his anatomy classes, like Parson is seriously stronger than he looks.

By the way, good idea on the DVD-style commentary. That's something I'll look forward to.

I concur. :D

Gamebird
2007-01-24, 12:02 PM
Registered Basically just to say this. People can't give orders with broken jaws. Parson being as big as he is, he could just life up stanly by the head while covering his mouth. No orders can be given if you can't breath.

I'd be surprised if the rules of the game world worked that way, but on the other hand, Parson clearly breaks the rules.

tomaO2
2007-01-24, 12:39 PM
Hmm,
I know there is more to the decision of keeping Parson looking as he is then it is "cool". I was hoping for insight on the creative process but if you don't want to tell...

As well, I did really wanted to know if you would be doing appearance changes to Parson though. I know the game characters will be static but Parson is suppost to be "real". Not cartoon real, real real. So it would make sense. Ah well.

Please give 'Parson getting in shape' some thought if you haven't. I really think that would be an interesting gradual, long-term change.

Also, for those that would like Pasron to be a hero while out of shape just remember that getting in shape would take years of the comic. So he will stay out of shape for a long time to come but I think his weight is partly because if his unhappy and static life. Now that he's out in the open, important, doing what he loves... it's only natural that he will want to take care of himself and hell, people will be wanting to kill him. Getting fit will allow him to run away from danger, fight better... I could see him getting into a close call where he almost dies and deciding that he really needs to learn how to protect himself better by learning how to use a sword or something. Parson's a smart guy, the benifits of fitness in a world like this are too great to ignore.

Could you at least tell me why you decided to go with Pason being teleported into the world? Did you consider the idea of Erfworld being a computer game that Parson would play from our dimention or having the players be the warlords (either in avatar form that were player controlled with flips from the tabletop to Erfworld or the players themselves be teleported with Parson, perhaps, becomming an omnipotent narrator guiding them)?

There were several ways I imagined this whole thing going before Parson teleported in. All could have been interesting ways to take this story. I know the way it went is the most common but still.

Parson should also ask what would happen to the spell if lord stanly dies. <grins> If he kills stanly before it's forbidden then he's home free. :smallbiggrin: Do that next episode. Stanly is annoying. Lastly, when are you going to put Parson on the cast page?

Thanks.

PS. More Tron visuals. I wanna rent it now. Darn.

jami
2007-01-24, 12:49 PM
Could you at least tell me why you decided to go with Pason being teleported into the world? Did you consider the idea of Erfworld being a computer game that Parson would play from our dimention or having the players be the warlords (either in avatar form that were player controlled with flips from the tabletop to Erfworld or the players themselves be teleported with Parson, perhaps, becomming an omnipotent narrator guiding them)?

You're quite a bit ahead of the game. And no, we won't reveal such details with not even half of the story told. We will reveal as much as we can as we go along, but we're going to save the specific details of how the characters were developed for the book.

I mean, you can't release the DVD comentary without the movie first.

teratorn
2007-01-24, 01:14 PM
Come on guys, stop trying to kill Stanley, we need him, he's such a good character. I find it funny that while there is this urge to get rid of Stanley I see some mild hints of his character in this forum, in those of us wanting Parson to turn into someone more lordly and heroic. In a way or another we have the same kind of prejudice on what the protagonist should look like. I'm glad there is Wanda. He was summoned because he was the best.

This strip has someone whith whom I identify and I hope he stays that way. (Ok, he needs some cool outfit, that he can change).

Ygrane
2007-01-24, 01:28 PM
argh. Only after the last frame of 19 did the meaning of "I want a guy who snacks on gwiffons and eats marbits for breakfast" in 17 really dawn on me. I know, there was plenty of setup for it beforehand.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the order following limiting the plot. Wanda seems constrained by it as well, but she seems to manage to get around it well enough.

fehler
2007-01-24, 01:29 PM
OK, Parso is stuck in a turn-based strategy game.

But its not his game. He'd recognize it and figure it out too easily.

He's stuck in someone else's game. Someone who does NOT design amazing games like Parson. Someone who didn't spend five months on it. Someone who created a poorly constructed ruleset and almost pointless objectives and favored one side over the other so much that it made the game impossible to win if you were playing the Plaid tribe.

Someone who dresses like Elvis, maybe.

innovan
2007-01-24, 02:33 PM
>I am looking forward to seeing Parson tower over Prince Ansom on battle field.

Which would mean he would also be the world's largest target for every arrow volley, every battle. Now Parson, being from a different world where we eat marshmallows instead of being in fear of being seriously attacked by them, may turn out to have iron skin compared to the locals and so won't suffer the fate of Manpower the Temporary. If so, he'd be really useful for drawing fire from all units on the field (since he would get to ignore arrow fire once he figures out how to make some swimmers goggles or something to avoid eye injuries resulting from a lucky natural 20 roll arrow fire). It's a place the authors could go.

I'd assumed he's just going to be moving units and building up the economy in his base/each town, not actually fighting himself. I certainly could be wrong.

Disadvantage: If he's *too* big, he's not going to be able to be carried around by dragons or anything. Which means quick scene changes in the script won't be quite as easy to rationalize.

What happened to little spitfire Jillian? Darn, it'd be really sad if Parson started sending back hacked info to misdirect enemy troops through that magic hat of hers to buy some time.

Aliquid
2007-01-24, 04:17 PM

He's stuck in someone else's game. Someone who does NOT design amazing games like Parson. Someone who didn't spend five months on it. Someone who created a poorly constructed ruleset and almost pointless objectives and favored one side over the other so much that it made the game impossible to win if you were playing the Plaid tribe.

Someone who dresses like Elvis, maybe.I agree that it isn't his game, there are some interesting similarities in topography... but I don't think it is his game.

But I actually wonder if it is a game at all. Maybe we are just in a different dimension, a different reality that happens to work like a turn-based strategy game.

Wardog
2007-01-24, 05:58 PM

Why would a gamer be reluctant to play as the "Evil" faction?

Brotherhood of Nod was more fun than GDI.

Orks are more fun than Space Marines (although I suppose its debatable whether the Imperium are actually less evil than the Orks).

And if you couldn't handle playing as the evil side, you only be able to play through one quarter of the game.

roadkiller
2007-01-24, 07:36 PM
One thought though, since Stanley can't see Parson's "points," is it possible that he doesn't follow the world's rules at all? Maybe Stanley can't actually disband him, though Stanley thinks he can. He may stop obeying Stanley, resulting in more complications. Units in most games have specific stats, and Parson doesn't. Does that make him invulnerable or just killable normally? Does it mean that he can continue moving as long as turn isn't ended, without being limited by movement? Am I just reading too far into this? Probably, but does it stop the rampant speculation soon to follow? Why am I asking so many questions?

As a side note, on panel 10 of comic 18, is Stanley's movement (and the little movement indicator) intentional or just covering a very minor mistake to appease people like me?

I am really enjoying Erfworld do far. Keep up the good work, guys.

Querzis
2007-01-24, 08:07 PM

Someone who dresses like Elvis, maybe.

I really dont think hes in a game. Hes just in a world that work like a turn-based strategy game. After all, there is no way he could have been really teleported otherwise. Not to mention the fact that the good guys army is much stronger then the bad guys, which never happen in strategy game.

Sisqui
2007-01-24, 08:27 PM
[quote=Querzis;1882941]I really dont think he is in his own game but really in another world. After all, he doesnt sound like a guy who would use «boop» to censor or call is monsters gwiffon, dwagon or Orly.

Maybe he created a world of cutesy characters so the "evil" characters would wipe them out. He seems like he might be contrary like that. His players might have been the ones who were supposed to help the "evil" guys triumph over the cutesies. :smallconfused:

Kanthalion
2007-01-24, 08:44 PM
>snip...

What happened to little spitfire Jillian? Darn, it'd be really sad if Parson started sending back hacked info to misdirect enemy troops through that magic hat of hers to buy some time.

I don't think he will be able to: page 12 panel 8

Mr._Blinky
2007-01-24, 11:02 PM
>I am looking forward to seeing Parson tower over Prince Ansom on battle field.

Which would mean he would also be the world's largest target for every arrow volley, every battle. Now Parson, being from a different world where we eat marshmallows instead of being in fear of being seriously attacked by them, may turn out to have iron skin compared to the locals and so won't suffer the fate of Manpower the Temporary. If so, he'd be really useful for drawing fire from all units on the field (since he would get to ignore arrow fire once he figures out how to make some swimmers goggles or something to avoid eye injuries resulting from a lucky natural 20 roll arrow fire). It's a place the authors could go.

I'd assumed he's just going to be moving units and building up the economy in his base/each town, not actually fighting himself. I certainly could be wrong.

Disadvantage: If he's *too* big, he's not going to be able to be carried around by dragons or anything. Which means quick scene changes in the script won't be quite as easy to rationalize.

From the look of his size in #19, I'd say arrows would amount to bee-stings against him. He looks like he's at least 100 ft tall. Remember the scale of the marshmallow peep to him? Looks like that's the scale of him to the gwiffons. And I don't thing dwagons are going to be issue, he can probably walk almost as fast. Hell, considering his size, just put him in full plate and have him log-roll onto Ansom's army. He'd probably be able to wipe out whole platoons like that.

Also, I predict his size isn't a permanent thing. I'd guess he can somehow change his size, considering the scale in panel 10 of #18, where he isn't much bigger than they are. He didn't get bigger till he stood up.

Erk
2007-01-24, 11:21 PM
He really doesn't look that tall; don't let the perspective fool you. Since Stanley is standing very close to him (as we can see in panel 4), we know that Parson is not very far in the background. That puts Stanley's head somewhere between Parson's knee and his hip, maybe a little lower. Parson is about 4 Stanleys tall, I would say, and perhaps 3 Wandas. Stanley is little-kid height, not barbie-doll height, and Wanda is about as tall as the average 12-year-old Japanese boy.

Woolysock
2007-01-24, 11:57 PM
hmm, gwiffons, twolls, can't say ****? I'd say this is his little brother's game, not his.

TheAnimal
2007-01-25, 02:38 AM
Why would a gamer be reluctant to play as the "Evil" faction?

Brotherhood of Nod was more fun than GDI.

Orks are more fun than Space Marines (although I suppose its debatable whether the Imperium are actually less evil than the Orks).

And if you couldn't handle playing as the evil side, you only be able to play through one quarter of the game.
Good point there. At least in Tiberian Sun, i kept thinking of the good guys (GDI) as "those giant wussies". NOD was way cooler and their ending was much more impressive.
And no, the Empire is not any better than Orks or Chaos - they don't seem to have any qualms about, say, slave labour or genocide.

Besides, the evil chicks are always way hotter. :smallwink:

Jorkens
2007-01-25, 07:37 AM
[quote]

Maybe he created a world of cutesy characters so the "evil" characters would wipe them out. He seems like he might be contrary like that. His players might have been the ones who were supposed to help the "evil" guys triumph over the cutesies. :smallconfused:
If nothing else, he seems like someone with a cynical sense of humour who's gamed enough to be aware of the cliches and want to send them up... the introductory spiel to his game seemed a little too generic to be taken at face value.

Dr. Simon
2007-01-25, 08:43 AM
Not to mention the fact that the good guys army is much stronger then the bad guys, which never happen in strategy game.

We don't really have enough data to discern if Ansom's army is "stronger" than Stanleys (there seem to be plenty of dwagons working for Gobwin Knob, for example). It's more a case that Ansom is a better strategist and tactician than Stanley (who thinks good looks are the most important trait of a war leader).

SteveMB
2007-01-25, 09:25 AM
We don't really have enough data to discern if Ansom's army is "stronger" than Stanleys (there seem to be plenty of dwagons working for Gobwin Knob, for example). It's more a case that Ansom is a better strategist and tactician than Stanley (who thinks good looks are the most important trait of a war leader).
I'd guess that, whatever the original situation was, Ansom's army is stronger now -- according to page 5 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0005.html), Stanley has badly booped away his original resource base.

Wallyz
2007-01-25, 10:13 AM
And no, the Empire is not any better than Orks or Chaos - they don't seem to have any qualms about, say, slave labour or genocide.

In Warhammer 40k, the correct term for "good guys" is "incidental collateral damage"

Besides, the evil chicks are always way hotter. :smallwink:
QFT, esp. my wife.

Dr. Simon
2007-01-25, 10:30 AM
I'd guess that, whatever the original situation was, Ansom's army is stronger now -- according to page 5 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0005.html), Stanley has badly booped away his original resource base.

That's true, and according to the episode 20, Stanley the Tool's :smallbiggrin: forces are badly outnumbered.

Rocheforte
2007-01-26, 12:17 AM
All we really know of Stanley's troops is there are fewer than 200 living men (none of whom are geniuses), and the Late Lord Manpower is piecing together a regiment of uncroaked infantry, with no siege. IIRC, a regiment is composed of battallions, each composed of companies, so we're talking at least 4 companies of arrow-fodder plus whatever organization the living are arranged in. We can assume there are also assorted monsters, since Stanley's the type.

We are not yet sure that Jillian was captured by Stanley, although Wanda was riding a dwagon earlier, so it's a pretty safe bet. That map was divided into too many different colors to limit us to just two major forces. Besides, "The Battle for Gobwin Knob" is just the subtitle for Part 1.