PDA

View Full Version : Alright, I'm callin' bullboop!

Eva of Banjo
2007-01-23, 05:27 PM
You'd think our boy Parson, if he really put so much time and care into his games and he was as hardcore as he said, he'd have something a little more comfortable for sitting around the game table than metal folding chairs! I mean, come on, metal folding chairs? Nothing gives me quite the urge to stand quite like a metal folding chair, I couldn't quite picture myself gaming in one.

Ulrich_Brew
2007-01-23, 06:12 PM
He is so hardcore he didn't mind his metal folding chair?

Erk
2007-01-23, 06:30 PM
If you haven't gamed in a mouldy stinky basement suite with your feet on a carpet that kinda squishes, your elbow on a folding plywood table that is oddly sticky, and your boop planted on a chair almost as comfortable as a plantar's wart, you haven't really gamed. :smallwink: hyperbole of course.

Crap conditions are one of the hallmarks of post-high school gaming. Buying and maintaining nice furniture is expensive and annoying (since during game sessions stuff inevitably gets spilled and wrecks anything half decent).

KithKunabi
2007-01-23, 07:18 PM
Heck, when I play,w e ussually play on the floor, to hell with all these fancy frnishings! All we need a reht papers and a D20.

Uzraid
2007-01-24, 01:33 PM
Maybe he's like me and spends a lot of the session standing, using the chair only when the effect of the tension on his knees makes him sit?

MrNexx
2007-01-24, 04:50 PM
Crap conditions are one of the hallmarks of post-high school gaming. Buying and maintaining nice furniture is expensive and annoying (since during game sessions stuff inevitably gets spilled and wrecks anything half decent).

Speak for yourself. We game around our dining room table, in our dining room chairs (with two people in office chairs; big group), after a good meal.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-01-24, 05:39 PM
Same here, at least for the last few years. We started out in the DM's basement, around a card table, with chairs that were one step above metal folding chairs. I for one find metal folding chairs to be quite comftable enough to sit in for several hours.
Also note that Parson is poor. He works at Kinko's and spends all his money on gaming books and supplies. Look at the rest of his room, it is all a-shambles. I'm surprised he could get a clean table to play on.

Erk
2007-01-24, 09:44 PM
Speak for yourself. We game around our dining room table, in our dining room chairs (with two people in office chairs; big group), after a good meal.

We sit around a nifty looking oriental table, on tatami mats and kneeling cushions. Ironically our gaming is not asian-oriented, but it feels all cool and fantasyish anyway. Plus my gaming room is the traditional-style room in my apartment, so there is not a lot of choice. Chairs kill tatami.

But during college, it was metal and plastic folding chairs in a basement that smelled like mushrooms gone horribly horribly wrong. I think that is a pretty universal thing... hell, I think it's part of being a gamer :D if you have to be comfy you're not losing yourself in the game enough.

MrNexx
2007-01-24, 11:57 PM
But during college, it was metal and plastic folding chairs in a basement that smelled like mushrooms gone horribly horribly wrong. I think that is a pretty universal thing... hell, I think it's part of being a gamer :D if you have to be comfy you're not losing yourself in the game enough.

Ah, we had a nice big conference room in the basement of my dorm. And if that was occupied, it was the music room... no big table with convenient chalkboard, but nice, comfy chairs and couches.

starwoof
2007-01-25, 01:49 AM
We sit out in my garage that has an average temperature of 'really-dang-cold' around an upturned chalkboard placed on two sawhorses in chairs that we take from the dining room. Except for me. I grab my computer chair.

Parson is lucky to have a real table. :smallwink:

Piedmon_Sama
2007-01-25, 02:03 AM
Good sweet boop, man, I'd take one of those metal folding chairs before any of the furniture in my friend's house.... there's pizza boxes, sticky beer bottles, and burrito wrappers between the cushions, unspeakable acts have been enjoined on the couch....

I guess I'm not a hardcore gamer, acuz I couldn't take more than an hour of that.

Penny
2007-01-25, 04:00 AM
We just use a conference room at work - nice big table, decent chairs, projector, big screen, and air-conditioning. Does this reduce our gaming cred?

Zeb The Troll
2007-01-25, 04:19 AM
We just use a conference room at work - nice big table, decent chairs, projector, big screen, and air-conditioning. Does this reduce our gaming cred?
You get to game at work?? :smallconfused:

Penny
2007-01-25, 04:25 AM
You get to game at work?? :smallconfused:
Yes, but after hours :smallsmile:

Wallyz
2007-01-25, 03:53 PM
*sni* unspeakable acts have been enjoined on the couch....

YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO MENTION UNSPEAKABLE!

Big_Robot
2007-01-25, 06:25 PM
Or maybe he can only afford metal folding chairs?

Aimbot
2007-01-25, 08:12 PM
Any time I've seen metal folding chairs in a house they were stolen from somewhere. He probably didn't even pay for them.

RandomNPC
2007-01-25, 08:43 PM
i only played in a dusty, moist, kinda mildewy, two cat basement once. it was kinda bad, table wasnt all that big, the home owners chair took up about a third of the sitting area (it blocked a side and both corners) the other chairs were metal folding chairs, and a couch in the corner. from then on we always game at my house.

Logic
2007-01-26, 07:03 AM
After hauling around both of my X-boxes and Televisions (we always play something electronic as was as tabletop on our gaming nights) I decided that all the other losers could haul their boop to my booping house.
I also own every sourcebook that is not for a setting, so the guys also enjoy my personal library.

talonos
2007-02-01, 08:03 PM
Heh...

I'm at college. Who wants to furnish their own gaming room?

We go to the library and reserve a group study room. Nobody wants to study on a Friday night, so nobody cares that we're gaming instead of studying. We sneak in contraband food in our backpacks, and unload as soon as we show up. We borrow whiteboard markers from the recource center, and I draw a arge grid on the whiteboard. Every player has they're own letter, and most enemies are represented by either a letter, or a letter or a number.

The math major think's it's funny. "I'm going to charge at G-sub-2"

When we sign up for the study room, we need to say what we're studying. It's become a running gag to make up amusing euphamisms for D&D. "Today, we're studying the effects of probability and random occurences in an artifically simulated life."

Aimbot
2007-02-01, 08:29 PM
Heh...

We go to the library and reserve a group study room. Nobody wants to study on a Friday night, so nobody cares that we're gaming instead of studying. We sneak in contraband food in our backpacks, and unload as soon as we show up. We borrow whiteboard markers from the recource center, and I draw a arge grid on the whiteboard. Every player has they're own letter, and most enemies are represented by either a letter, or a letter or a number.

When we sign up for the study room, we need to say what we're studying. It's become a running gag to make up amusing euphamisms for D&D. "Today, we're studying the effects of probability and random occurences in an artifically simulated life."

That is BRILLIANT.

PaladinFreak
2007-02-02, 12:15 AM
I must agree. That is HILARIOUS!!

MinusInnocence
2007-02-02, 07:23 AM
I totally should have done that before I graduated. They really bend you over the barrel with the cost of the extra stuff these days, bravo for taking advantage of your college's resources.

Khantalas
2007-02-02, 07:47 AM
Heh...

Take that, but switch the library with the computer center. Here's our sessions, largely.

Kyrsis
2007-02-02, 08:24 AM
I've gamed in many conditions, starting from my early years around the crappy card table with those white pourch chairs that were cracking to outside in the castles of Okinawa, Japan. I've never had a complaint about any location, as long as I'm having fun at the game.
It is true though, nice things tend to get ruined quick, easily spilled drinks and such.

Darth Paradox
2007-02-02, 04:16 PM
Heh...

So what you're saying, essentially, is that you're playing analog Nethack.

Well done.

Telonius
2007-02-02, 04:39 PM
If you haven't gamed in a mouldy stinky basement suite with your feet on a carpet that kinda squishes, your elbow on a folding plywood table that is oddly sticky, and your boop planted on a chair almost as comfortable as a plantar's wart, you haven't really gamed. :smallwink: hyperbole of course.

... actually, I have gamed under such conditions. And sadly, that is not hyperbole. We were all very glad when the DM moved out of the frat house. (It was more of a Tri-Lamb than an Alpha Beta frat, of course.:smallbiggrin: )

Maxymiuk
2007-02-02, 05:27 PM
In the beginnings of my gaming career I had a GM with inventive (read: booping loco) ideas about mood-enhancing locations. Our group had to endure places such as an apartment building's basement - and I mean literally a stark stone walls basement, a laundry room in said basement, a tent, the middle of a forest at night, a number of temporarily vacant junkie hideouts...

Maybe that's why I mostly play through chat these days.

ampcptlogic
2007-02-02, 05:37 PM
Heh...

We go to the library and reserve a group study room.

We're studying the rolling properties of specific polyhedrons, with emphasis on the hexahedron, octohedron, decahedron, and icosahedron.

Erk
2007-02-02, 08:00 PM
Sorry ampcptlogic, but I wouldn't let you research that in my study center :smallwink: too transparent. What about "the effects of true-random quantum wave formations and unknown variations in a planar surface on the dynamics of polyhedron translation"? Same meaning.

Maxymiuk
2007-02-03, 02:14 PM
How about "The theory of polyteism versus creationism."

Or "The study of leadership and teamwork traits in an unorthodox environment."