PDA

View Full Version : Magitech: Spelljammer variant

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-01-23, 06:56 PM
Okay, I'm writing up a campain in which you had a 'golden empire' a few thousand years ago who had developed magical abilities and items the likes of which modern-day mages cannot comprehend. It is rumored that the majority of the 'common artifacts' like Deck of Many Things and Staff of the Archmagi came from this society, but are unable to be created today.

Some of the things this civilization came up with, and can still sometimes be found in the (extremely hazardous) ancient ruins of this civilization, are Magitech items. In short, much like Spelljammer items, they require spell slots to be used to activate rather than charges. This is an advantage in that it will never ever run out of charges just when you need it most. It is a downside because you're blowing spell slots to use it. They're typically more useful to a sorcerer than a wizard, with their more spells per day but less spells known.

The most common sorts of Magitech items are Magitech Wands. These function nearly identically to the wands most spellcasters are familiar with, with but two exceptions. Instead of using charges, they eat a spell slot of the appropriate level. For instance, a Magitech Wand of Magic Missiles would eat a 1st level spell slot per time it was used, just as though he had just cast a 1st level spell spontaniously. A Magitech Wand of Scorching Ray would eat a 2nd, and so forth. The other difference is that it uses the caster level of the caster using the item to determine level-dependant variables. Therefore a Magitech Wand of Magic Missiles used by a 1st level caster would shoot 1 missile, one used by a 10th level caster would shoot 5, and so forth.

Yes, these are powerful. They are also considered to be Artifacts, so no one will be able to duplicate them or create them.

There are also what are known as VampTech items, which either inflict damage, or deal Con Burn to activate. For example, the Maul of Golem Elimination is a VampTech item. Normally, it functions as a +1 Greatclub, and without cost to the user. Should the user hit a construct, it deals 2 points of con burn and casts Disintigrate on the construct, caster level being the HD of the wielder, and Con being the casting stat. Thus a 15th level human fighter with a Con of 18 swings this baby at an Iron Golem, he takes 2 con burn and it makes a Fort save DC (10+6+4=20) and takes 30d6 on a failed Fort save or 5d6 on a successful save.

Again, it all Magitech and Vamptech items are considered to be Artifacts. PC's will not be allowed to duplicate them or create them.

So, sound concept or put it back on the drawing board?

Icewalker
2007-01-23, 07:14 PM
Huh, so the VampTech items deal varying degrees of Con Burn and could have various activation targets and results? Weapons with a price on their use are always fun, especially if the price is really annoying but not permanent, so people will use it.

I also really like the idea of items consuming spell slots instead of charges, because players, (me included), are hesitant to use things with limited charges because you are always worried about them running out.

I think they are pretty cool ideas, speically if you add other types of stuff: as a whole ancient civilization they'd probably have loads of different kinds of magic items.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-01-23, 08:45 PM
Huh, so the VampTech items deal varying degrees of Con Burn and could have various activation targets and results? Weapons with a price on their use are always fun, especially if the price is really annoying but not permanent, so people will use it.

I also really like the idea of items consuming spell slots instead of charges, because players, (me included), are hesitant to use things with limited charges because you are always worried about them running out.

I think they are pretty cool ideas, speically if you add other types of stuff: as a whole ancient civilization they'd probably have loads of different kinds of magic items.

Oh sure, lots of extra items around. Even a magically propelled airship that uses up 1 spellslot every hour of travel at cruising speed or 10 min of going at flank speed. Lights that require a spellslot per day to keep working, but function even in areas of magical darkness and count as daylight versus certain creatures with sunlight vulnerability. There's more stuff, which are variously useful depending on the circumstances.