PDA

View Full Version : Proton, Electron, Neutron-Which Side and Why?

Karoht
2014-01-20, 07:40 PM
What is says on the tin folks. Out of those three types of particle, pick a favorite and state why. Just those three please.

I like electrons. They go where they like, they power the devices used to make this message, and not afraid of anyone.

Bonus points for meme usage, so long as it obeys forum rules, of course.

AtlanteanTroll
2014-01-20, 08:06 PM
Neutron. Because the pizza is aggressive.

Jimorian
2014-01-20, 08:44 PM
Newboys in the hood for the win!

(Anybody who get that ref wins life)

Karoht
2014-01-20, 09:58 PM
Oh wow, both of those were rather obscure and difficult to find.
Heck, I'm not entirely sure what I found WAS the Newboys reference. My google-fu needs some work.

Neutrons are ahead by 2 thus far (my vote doesn't count). No proton love? What gives?

Chemistry Cat, we need you!

Manga Shoggoth
2014-01-21, 11:48 AM
I know that at first sight it is not the most attractive choice, but the neutron is both an electron and proton in one convinent package and no extra charge.

Grozomah
2014-01-21, 11:50 AM
Neutrons. Because nothing says love like 83.14 TJ/kg & they don't care 'bout Φs and As.

Electrons aren't afraid of anything? Yeah right, except for their brotha's. They also group hump every proton in sight. :smalltongue:

Asta Kask
2014-01-21, 11:59 AM
Electron. All of chemistry is electrons in motion.

noparlpf
2014-01-21, 02:16 PM
Orgo was hard, so I don't like electrons. :smalltongue:

Lentrax
2014-01-21, 02:19 PM
And now for another harrowing adventure of... Captain Proton!

... And that's about all I have.

SaintRidley
2014-01-21, 03:59 PM
Positrons. Because I'm an optimist like that and always find a way to turn the negative into a positive.

Lentrax
2014-01-21, 04:11 PM
Positrons. Because I'm an optimist like that and always find a way to turn the negative into a positive.

And I think that answers the question. Goodbye folks! Been nice, see you around. SaintRidley wins.

Karoht
2014-01-21, 04:23 PM
Not really one of the three options, but it's clever all the same.
Neutron 4
Electron 2
Proton 1
Positron 1

Neutron is still in the lead. And Gold. And Silver. And most other things.

Proud Tortoise
2014-01-21, 05:51 PM
Come on now, those protons are the only thing holding the electrons in place!

No, that wasn't a vote for proton. I like electrons.

Mauve Shirt
2014-01-21, 07:04 PM
I'm pro-proton.

Karoht
2014-01-21, 07:38 PM
Neutron 4
Proton 3
Electron 2
Positron 1

More science! More... side... picking! Decide upon that which you stand!

rs2excelsior
2014-01-21, 08:21 PM
So I'm going to give the noble proton another vote.

They aren't wish-washy like those neutrons that can't even pick a charge, but they don't run about chaotically like electrons do.

Besides, the protons decide what element they're going to be. Neutrons and electrons just go along with it.

Lateral
2014-01-21, 09:38 PM
Smuons.

...What?
You guys are boring.

Larkas
2014-01-21, 10:36 PM
I know that at first sight it is not the most attractive choice, but the neutron is both an electron and proton in one convinent package and no extra charge.

THANK YOU, I just spilled my soda because of that. :smallbiggrin:

Manga Shoggoth
2014-01-22, 05:50 AM
THANK YOU, I just spilled my soda because of that. :smallbiggrin:

I so rarely get to use my degree these days. Using it to make bad puns is an added bonus.

It is one way of annihilating your opposition, I suppose.

mistformsquirrl
2014-01-22, 06:08 AM
Proton, because torpedoes <>_<>

Kato
2014-01-22, 06:48 AM
Easy, neutron all the way. At Their not afraid to join with their peers, you don't have to pick a side, they even care for those stupid protons to stick together which would otherwise not get along. (Thinking about this made me consider the problem of pure-neutron matter and I realized I really need to catch up on my particle physics...)
Anyway, neutrons all the way. No contest.

Shadow of the Sun
2014-01-22, 07:08 AM
For me it's muons. Short lived, and capable of causing nuclear fusion.

Tylorious
2014-01-22, 07:54 AM
i vote electron as they help me feel things. feeling is definitely important in life and thus electrons are the best.

noparlpf
2014-01-22, 08:01 AM
i vote electron as they help me feel things. feeling is definitely important in life and thus electrons are the best.

Technically, the electrochemical impulses in the human nervous system rely on calcium, potassium, sodium, and chloride ions. Most of those are missing some electrons.

Evandar
2014-01-22, 08:08 AM

This summarizes my feelings on the issue.

noparlpf
2014-01-22, 08:11 AM

Anti-particles, because warp drive?

Socratov
2014-01-22, 08:13 AM
I'm not always quirky, but when I am, quarks are my favorite.

Rain Dragon
2014-01-22, 08:14 AM
I'm going to stay neutron on this one.

Aside from some hydrogen atoms (hydrogen is a little weird), neutrons are a very important part of an atom. As if trying to keep track of over 100 elements wasn't enough, neutrons add variety within an atom as well. Ahahah. Ahh. Science is fun. :smallannoyed::smallbiggrin:

(If we were voting outside the three, I quite like quarks as well.)

Kato
2014-01-22, 08:55 AM
I'm not always quirky, but when I am, quarks are my favorite.

(If we were voting outside the three, I quite like quarks as well.)

Isn't voting on quarks in this competition like saying you prefer flour over bread vs cake? :smallconfused:

Socratov
2014-01-22, 09:00 AM
Isn't voting on quarks in this competition like saying you prefer flour over bread vs cake? :smallconfused:

Well, yes, and no. It can mean you prefer the flour, but it can also mean that you don't really care between either, as long as it's a product made with flour...

Cicciograna
2014-01-22, 09:27 AM
Being a particle physicist, I love them all!

Asta Kask
2014-01-22, 09:29 AM
Being a particle physicist, I love them all!

You're such a slut.

Cicciograna
2014-01-22, 09:33 AM
You're such a slut.

Oh yes, please, put your quark down my potential well, please, I want to fill you with alpha rays!

truemane
2014-01-22, 09:36 AM
Newboys in the hood for the win!

(Anybody who get that ref wins life)

I need a hat! Cop's got a hat. I need a hat too.

Let's you and me swap hats!

Chronos
2014-01-22, 09:42 AM
Is that a particle in your pocket, or do you just have a hadron?

Anyway, some information that might help others decide:

Electrons are fundamental particles (not made of anything else), while protons and neutrons are compound particles (made up of quarks bound together by gluons).
Electrons are subject only to the electromagnetic and weak forces, while protons and neutrons are also subject to the strong force.
As a result of both of the above, the behavior of electrons is understood, so far as we can tell, completely (or at least, as completely as we understand anything in science), while the protons and neutrons are still subject to a fair bit of mystery.
Protons and neutrons are nearly indistinguishable, in every way except electromagnetically.

Myself, though, I'm going to go with the neutral K meson. First of all, it's strange. And like all mesons, it's a mix of matter and antimatter, and it comes in two varieties. But due to a habit of spontaneously turning into its own antiparticle, it's not clear just what those two varieties are: It's either the K and K, which have the same lifetime and mass but opposite strangeness, or the KS and KL, which have slightly different masses, significantly different lifetimes, and undefined strangeness.

Kato
2014-01-22, 09:58 AM
Well, yes, and no. It can mean you prefer the flour, but it can also mean that you don't really care between either, as long as it's a product made with flour...
Well, if you want to read it that way... So this should be taken as a vote against electrons?

Oh yes, please, put your quark down my potential well, please, I want to fill you with alpha rays!
This sounds much more arousing to me than it should :smallbiggrin:

Socratov
2014-01-22, 10:07 AM
Well, if you want to read it that way... So this should be taken as a vote against electrons?

This sounds much more arousing to me than it should :smallbiggrin:

Yes, I hate electrons for later showing they go against the direction of current instead of with...

Asta Kask
2014-01-22, 10:16 AM

How do you court a baker? With flours, of course!

Socratov
2014-01-22, 10:21 AM
How do you court a baker? With flours, of course!
Congratulations! That pun is officially groan worthy.

By the way, long time no see Asta, how are you?

Asta Kask
2014-01-22, 10:33 AM
I've been bad but I'm better now. My depression goes up and down but, unfortunately, never quite up far enough...

Cicciograna
2014-01-22, 11:09 AM
Is that a particle in your pocket, or do you just have a hadron?

Anyway, some information that might help others decide:

Electrons are fundamental particles (not made of anything else), while protons and neutrons are compound particles (made up of quarks bound together by gluons).
Electrons are subject only to the electromagnetic and weak forces, while protons and neutrons are also subject to the strong force.
As a result of both of the above, the behavior of electrons is understood, so far as we can tell, completely (or at least, as completely as we understand anything in science), while the protons and neutrons are still subject to a fair bit of mystery.
Protons and neutrons are nearly indistinguishable, in every way except electromagnetically.
Actually the neutron is subject to weak interaction too, since it's its decay mechanism :smallwink:

Myself, though, I'm going to go with the neutral K meson. First of all, it's strange. And like all mesons, it's a mix of matter and antimatter, and it comes in two varieties. But due to a habit of spontaneously turning into its own antiparticle, it's not clear just what those two varieties are: It's either the K and K, which have the same lifetime and mass but opposite strangeness, or the KS and KL, which have slightly different masses, significantly different lifetimes, and undefined strangeness.
To clarify, there are four different flavour of K mesons, the K+ and the K0 (which are an isospin doublet with strangeness +1), and their antiparticles, respectively the K- and K0 (another isospin doublet with strangeness -1).
KL and KS are linear combinations of K1 and K2, which are theirselves combinations of the K0 and K0 states, notable because these two states "mix" via double weak interaction :smallcool:

Socratov
2014-01-22, 11:09 AM
I've been bad but I'm better now. My depression goes up and down but, unfortunately, never quite up far enough...

So, up and down huh... How about the strange and charm :smallamused:

Talya
2014-01-22, 11:28 AM
I refuse to investigate what my answer to this question would be. Before I take a measurement, I am in a quantum superposition, exhibiting the qualities of all particle-lovers. Once measured, I may be locked into a specific position, and while I am neither feline nor locked in a box, I'm all for leaving my options open.

Knaight
2014-01-22, 12:03 PM
One of these particles routinely forms complex waveforms delocalized through entire molecules, which effectively move between three dimensional standing waves with quantized states emitting photons as they do. The other two are basically just there, with relatively unimpressive wave behavior.

Electrons are where it's at.

Cicciograna
2014-01-22, 01:32 PM
One of these particles routinely forms complex waveforms delocalized through entire molecules, which effectively move between three dimensional standing waves with quantized states emitting photons as they do. The other two are basically just there, with relatively unimpressive wave behavior.

Electrons are where it's at.

...until you begin looking INTO them. That's where things start getting impressive.

Asta Kask
2014-01-22, 02:24 PM
To clarify, there are four different flavour of K mesons, the K+ and the K0 (which are an isospin doublet with strangeness +1), and their antiparticles, respectively the K- and K0 (another isospin doublet with strangeness -1).
KL and KS are linear combinations of K1 and K2, which are theirselves combinations of the K0 and K0 states, notable because these two states "mix" via double weak interaction :smallcool:

What wine would you recommend with each flavor?

Cicciograna
2014-01-22, 03:07 PM
What wine would you recommend with each flavor?

Cabernet Sauvignon is mandatory with mesons :smalltongue:

Eulalios
2014-01-22, 03:20 PM
Proton. Because they're the myriad spices that make a tasty stew out of electron-neutron gruel.

Eta: it's really neat that when you add more, you get a qualitatively different flavor.

Lateral
2014-01-22, 04:51 PM
I refuse to investigate what my answer to this question would be. Before I take a measurement, I am in a quantum superposition, exhibiting the qualities of all particle-lovers. Once measured, I may be locked into a specific position, and while I am neither feline nor locked in a box, I'm all for leaving my options open.
Only if Copenhagen interpretation. Switch to many-worlds, and suddenly you can make an orchestra out of the hundreds of post-choice-alternative-history yous!

Socratov
2014-01-22, 05:04 PM
Only if Copenhagen interpretation. Switch to many-worlds, and suddenly you can make an orchestra out of the hundreds of post-choice-alternative-history yous!

well, coupled with Talya's love for playing bards and her work on the Vow of Nudity this 'orchestra' could actually match a lixieglomp :smallbiggrin: It's also something I'd pay to watch :smallamused:

Asta Kask
2014-01-23, 07:10 AM

Let me visit your quantum tunnel. :smallwink:

The Succubus
2014-01-23, 08:32 AM
I'm a fan of all of them, not really any in particular.

Socratov
2014-01-23, 09:21 AM
I'm a fan of all of them, not really any in particular.

Sorry, but Asta's pun is still groanworthier (you did come close though)

Amidus Drexel
2014-01-23, 01:29 PM
Neutron. Because the pizza is aggressive.

This. :smallbiggrin:

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/qwlneqf.gif%3Fw%3D500

Were other particles allowed in the options, I'd take a positron. Antimatter is fun.

Karoht
2014-01-23, 06:30 PM
I love this thread. References, absurd stuff, science-pun-fu, it's all there.
I'm lazy, I'll do totals later. I think Proton and Electron are pretty even, just eyeballing it quickly.