PDA

View Full Version : Points?

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-01-24, 04:47 PM
Okay, one of the things that just got my attention, after re-reading the strips:

In page 18, Stanley complains 'I can't even see his points!'. Could this be treated as 'I can't see what his [good] points [are]', as in what he is good for, could it be a reference to a distinct lack of any features that are not rounded (unlikely, given a similar lack in several Erfworld creatures), or perhaps a literal 'I can't see his [Character] points'? As in, he is able to look at an Erfworld entity and instantly know what the thing's hp/attack power/etc... are, and can't do so with Parson? Is this a common ability, (i.e. everything runs around with their stats listed for anyone who scrolls over the icon to see) or is this something unique to Stanley (or some Ruler-ability or something, maybe able to do so with any of 'his' units)?

WampaX
2007-01-24, 04:49 PM
Definitely the latter, but it remains to be seen if its limited to certain unit types.

Darth Paradox
2007-01-24, 06:55 PM
I wonder if Stanley being unable to see Parson's points might indicate that Parson is not subject to the other operations normally performed on units. Specifically, I bet Parson's not able to be disbanded in the same way as other units.

At some point in the future, I wouldn't be surprised to see Parson defy Stanley, and Stanley attempt to disband him, only to discover that he can't. That would make for an interesting twist.

Erk
2007-01-24, 09:32 PM
Or for Parson to simply lose a battle (probably assigned an impossible one) and Stanley move to disband him as useless.

I see it as Stanley being the "player" in a computer game, with a mouse and some powerful abilities of command and control, like moving his cursor over a unit and getting a tooltip of its stats.

The Extinguisher
2007-01-24, 10:10 PM
I thought it was a fat joke...

But you bring up interesting points. Pun not intended.

Beleriphon
2007-01-27, 03:09 AM
I certainly took that to mean a wargamer metaphor. As in Stanley can't see how many points it costs to deploy a Parson unit. Think of it as a table top wargame akin to Warhammer.

InaVegt
2007-01-27, 03:16 AM
I certainly took that to mean a wargamer metaphor. As in Stanley can't see how many points it costs to deploy a Parson unit. Think of it as a table top wargame akin to Warhammer.

I thought the same

TheAnimal
2007-01-28, 04:39 AM
Depends on what kind of game you think about. Now in a Warhammer-type tabletop game he would most likely be referring to Parson's "army value" - the amount of troop points it takes to deploy him as a leader.
If Erfworld is a computer strategy game, he's most likely talking about Parson's ability scores - attack and defence strengths, movement, armor, level etc.

Beleriphon
2007-01-29, 05:55 AM
Depends on what kind of game you think about. Now in a Warhammer-type tabletop game he would most likely be referring to Parson's "army value" - the amount of troop points it takes to deploy him as a leader.
If Erfworld is a computer strategy game, he's most likely talking about Parson's ability scores - attack and defence strengths, movement, armor, level etc.

Which is equally true of a table top wargame. I suspect however that Erfworld will end up having more in common with the tabletop variety as opposed to the computer RTS variety.

Erk
2007-01-29, 06:11 AM
Given that Parson seems to be more of a "traditional" gamer, tabletop and pencil-paper, I agree with you. However, it does depend on how the whole project is presented. We could easily never know... the similarities between tabletop strategy and turn-based computer strategy are pretty iffy once you get the characters personified and acting of their own accord. Especially since Erfworld is (probably) not based on any existing game mechanic.