PDA

View Full Version : Mar-Vell is back.

Wonderboy
2007-01-24, 09:56 PM
Yep, the one that died from cancer. I didn't even bother reading the book, so I don't know why.

I only know that I really, really want to kick Joe Quesada in the junk right now.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-24, 10:02 PM
Apparently, it's time travel, but I am with you on that nut-kick.

Wonderboy
2007-01-24, 10:04 PM
I was thinking it was Scarlet Witch's fault.

"No more cancer."

But, I guess I was wrong.

ravenkith
2007-01-25, 02:49 PM
Well, technically, is cancer a mutation of otherwise normally healthy cells? :smallconfused:

Or am I smoking something? :smallbiggrin:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-01-25, 03:02 PM
Well, technically, is cancer a mutation of otherwise normally healthy cells? :smallconfused:

Or am I smoking something? :smallbiggrin:

No. There are a lot of things about Cancer most people misunderstand and quite a bit scientists don't actually know but cancer is due to mutation.

A lot of people don't realise that all babies are born with minute numbers of cancer cells. Many mistakenly believe that all cancer cells multiply faster than normal cells when mostly they reproduce at a normal rate, they just don't die off and let themselves be replaced. You are right that cancer is due to mutation. What the specifics of that mutation is and how much damage is actually needed to cause it is a much more complicated issue. For example you can really screw up cells by turning genes off without damaging any DNA.

I don't think the Scarlet Witch said: "No more mutations, mutagens and tobaco companies, skin tanning, degrading of DNA during replication, transcription or translation and the halting of the entire evolutionary process."

Piedmon_Sama
2007-01-25, 03:12 PM
DATELINE: Marvel jumps the shark! Crowds unimpressed.

ravenkith
2007-01-25, 03:44 PM
I've read the issue in question. It wasn't great. I shan't be picking up any follow-ups.

Yes, it was time-travel related.

JonathanC
2007-01-25, 03:46 PM
Kinda early to say this idea has jumped the shark, isn't it? I mean, I've yet to see any panels from the comic, or even an idea of what the comic is about. Hell, at this point it's just a rumor, more or less.

Is this related to Annihilation at all? Phyla-Vell is a supporting character in that book.

Wonderboy
2007-01-25, 03:58 PM
Kinda early to say this idea has jumped the shark, isn't it? I mean, I've yet to see any panels from the comic, or even an idea of what the comic is about. Hell, at this point it's just a rumor, more or less.

Too early to say they've jumped the shark? Have you seen what JoeyQ's been doing to the Marvel universe over his time as EIC?

JonathanC
2007-01-25, 08:09 PM
Too early to say they've jumped the shark? Have you seen what JoeyQ's been doing to the Marvel universe over his time as EIC?

Hmm...returning a sense of general community to the heroes (as opposed to having a bunch of books about heroes in NY that all seem to act independently), putting Brian Bendis on Daredevil, resulting in the best Daredevil run since Miller (followed by Brubaker, who I don't care for on DD, but he's gotten great reviews)...got behind low-selling fan favorites like She-Hulk and Runaways, giving them a decent shot at building a solid fanbase...created the Marvel Knights line, which was damn good in its heyday...Garth Ennis on the Punisher, Ultimate Spider-Man (arguably the most successful attempt to get new teenage readers into American comics)....

Oh, and lets not forget Eternals with Neil Gaiman and John Romita Jr., Annihilation (awesome!), Books of Doom, Daughters of the Dragon, or any of the other absolutely kick-ass minis that have come out in the past year.

So yeah, I have seen what Quesada has done with Marvel. Some bad, but a lot of good to balance it out. I think he screwed Priest on the old Black Panther book, but overall, he's done a lot better by the fans than Dan "lets see how badly we can screw up the DCU" Didio, who took a good, diverse lineup of books and recalibrated the universe so that everything revolves around Superman and the JLA again. To say nothing of what he did to characters like Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Jade...half of the decent female characters are either totally out of character, or dead, or both. Replaced by stiletto-heel wearing lipstick lesbians designed for the sweaty fanboy crowd.

goat
2007-01-25, 09:09 PM
I just read this.

It has made me want to physically hurt someone.

Unless they link this to Annihilation, which is what I've been hoping ever since they showed a prison in the Negative zone, I shall be most annoyed. When I first saw a star pattern in the start of the comic my first though was Nova, not Marvel. It took a few seconds to sink in before I realised which star pattern it was.

JonathanC
2007-01-25, 10:47 PM
I just read this.

It has made me want to physically hurt someone.

Unless they link this to Annihilation, which is what I've been hoping ever since they showed a prison in the Negative zone, I shall be most annoyed. When I first saw a star pattern in the start of the comic my first though was Nova, not Marvel. It took a few seconds to sink in before I realised which star pattern it was.

What comic did this happen in? Is this the "Civil War: The Return" thing?

Incidentally, it couldn't have been Nova...he said already in Annihilation that he'd sooner lead the Badoon into battle against Annihilus than the fractured heroes of earth.

While this would be kinda lame, it wouldn't be the lamest of these recent "resurrections" of characters who had big, dramatic, and better-off-final deaths. Remember Jason Todd? Bucky?

Tiberian
2007-01-28, 08:01 PM
Called it when I saw the first spoilers to CW:The Return.

Logic
2007-01-29, 09:47 AM
While this would be kinda lame, it wouldn't be the lamest of these recent "resurrections" of characters who had big, dramatic, and better-off-final deaths. Remember Jason Todd? Bucky?
The resurection of Jason Todd is barely forgivable.
The resurection of Bucky is beyond ********(initially used a word that might offend someone. Word withdrawn)
Just shows that rather than create new and interesting heroes/villians (like was done with hobgoblin) they instead rehash old characters and "re-imagine them"
Lazy comic book writers...

ravenkith
2007-01-30, 10:24 AM
Seriously. Companies need to leave people dead sometimes.

I mean, it's a running joke withing the universe of comics...

anyone ever read the amazing graphic novel common grounds?

Grazzt
2007-01-31, 07:52 PM
The resurection of Jason Todd is barely forgivable.
The resurection of Bucky is beyond ********(initially used a word that might offend someone. Word withdrawn)

Actually I quite like the whole Winter Soldier arc. And I despise resurrecting Jason Todd, especially with the horrid things they did to him in Nightwing. Some things are worse than death.

On topic, I'd like to see a nice family Vell get together. That would be awesome. Phyla could bring Moondragon, and Hulkling could bring Wiccan, and Genis brings the crazy, and we're all set.

Beleriphon
2007-02-01, 06:51 AM
I should probably point something out here. Marvel is actually obligated to have a Captain Marvel/Mar-Vell comic once every year or so. If they don't publish a Marvel bookthey lose the name to DC, at least in so far if they want to enforce a copyright that they hold.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2005/08/18/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-12/

Check that for more info and lots of other oddities about comic book lore.

Grazzt
2007-02-02, 01:43 PM
I should probably point something out here. Marvel is actually obligated to have a Captain Marvel/Mar-Vell comic once every year or so. If they don't publish a Marvel bookthey lose the name to DC, at least in so far if they want to enforce a copyright that they hold.

Actually, that doesn't really matter much in this conversation. It doesn't have to be Mar-Vell in order to enforce their "Captain Marvel" trademark (not copyright, that's different). It could have been any character, so long as he (or she, two of the Captain Marvels have been women) took the name "Captain Marvel".

Personally, I would have rather seen a Monica, Genis, or even a Phyla book rather than bringing Mar back. Even having Hulkling assume the Captain Marvel title might have been preferable (for one thing, it lets Teddy get rid of the codename "Hulkling").

Foeofthelance
2007-02-07, 12:19 AM
I didn't mind it so much, all things considered. Since the OP admits to not reading the book...SPOILERS!!!!

Yeah, he ends up in the future, a result of Reed monkeying around with the negative zone. But it was pretty much stated that it wasn't permanent, they didn't plan on letting him out, and oh, yeah, dude, bummer as it might be, ya still got the cancer. So not bad.

Beleriphon
2007-02-07, 03:08 AM
Actually, that doesn't really matter much in this conversation. It doesn't have to be Mar-Vell in order to enforce their "Captain Marvel" trademark (not copyright, that's different). It could have been any character, so long as he (or she, two of the Captain Marvels have been women) took the name "Captain Marvel".

Ah, I hadn't realized that there was more that one version of Marvel Comics' Captain Marvel. You learn something new every day.

Elliot Kane
2007-02-08, 09:11 PM
The thing I don't get is why on Earth they brought him back. I doubt most readers have more than the vaguest idea who he is, and even fewer care. The most memorable thing about Mar is the fact that he died. AFAIK, there was no call at all from fans to bring him back.

I think they would have done far better to create a new character than bring Mar back.

Nightwing
2007-02-26, 09:14 PM
I hate mar-vell!