PDA

View Full Version : Making a high Tier non-caster.

Aleiz
2014-01-24, 03:53 AM
I had an idea recently about making a high (1/2) tier non/anti-caster. As he progresses he gains immunities to magical effects, good or bad.

The thing that would differentiate this class from others would be gaining immunities to effects not normally considered 'magic' such as conjured effects (monsters, walls, orbs, etc.)

Name
Heck if I know what to call it, for now we're calling it the Spellbreaker. Cheesy dota style all-right!

Requirements
Thinking this should be a base class, so none

HD
For the moment I was considering d10 HD (though HP is just a number right?)

Skills
4 + Int mod skills (Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana, Nature, Psionics, Religion, The Planes), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Ride, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope)

(Changes welcome to this list, just ballparking at the moment)

BAB/Saves
Thinking Good BAB with Good Fort/Bad Ref/Good Will

(though that's definitely negotiable)

Class Features
Heres where stuff starts getting good...

Blank Arcana(Level 1): Spellbreakers may not ever gain the ability to cast spells, manifest psionics, use spell completion items (such as wands, scrolls, or staves), use power completion items (needs editing, not sure if that's a real thing but the equivalent of psionic scrolls/wands), use or gain spell or psi like abilities, or use magical or psionic items of any sort.

If a Spellbreaker had the ability to cast spells, manifest psionics or use spell or psi like abilities prior to becoming a spellbreaker, they lose these abilities.

(Think this is good enough to cover 'you can't do magic/psionics', but might warrant adding something to do with supernatural abilities or the like)

Trapfinding(level 1): A Spellbreaker gains trapfinding as per the Rogue class feature

Spell Immunity(Various Levels, See Text): A Spellbreaker quickly gains immunities to the powers of magic.

Starting at first level a Spellbreaker becomes immune to magical sleep effects and Charm effects.

This will continue, just it's late... so PLACEHOLDING!

Ability Name Here(Various Levels, See Text): A Spellbreaker, fluffy reason for getting some buffs.

Starting at first level a Spellbreaker gains a bonus on attack rolls equal to half his Spellbreaker level (rounded up)

once again this will continue, but it's late

Bonus Feat: At every odd level a Spellbreaker gains a bonus feat chosen from the list of fighter bonus feats or (list of other good feats, sush late, much placeholder wow.) He must still qualify for the feat.

That's the basics so far, any buzz or help with this would be appreciated, I figure a lot of people will consider this class to be rather weak at the moment considering he cannot buff himself from the get-go, and really soon he loses the ability for others to buff him, but I have plans for this, and I think he can pull off being surprisingly strong. Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks again!

AuraTwilight
2014-01-24, 05:19 AM
Blank Arcana(Level 1): Spellbreakers may not ever gain the ability to cast spells, manifest psionics, use spell completion items (such as wands, scrolls, or staves), use power completion items (needs editing, not sure if that's a real thing but the equivalent of psionic scrolls/wands), use or gain spell or psi like abilities, or use magical or psionic items of any sort.

Congratulations. Your stated goal is now completely and totally impossible.

Cicciograna
2014-01-24, 05:39 AM
Mate, while I always appreciate the efforts of those trying to create high tier non caster, I think that you may have misunderstood what being Tier 1/2 means.

Being in a high tier does not mean "being powerful". Tiers are about versatility, not raw power or damage output: simply stacking lots of bonuses to combat abilities, damage or simple buffs won't raise a class very high in the tier ranking; on the contrary, a high specialized combat machine wouldn't pass tier 4, simply because apart from combat it would be pretty much useless (not to mention the fact that IMHO plain bonuses are boring).

Why is a Wizard Tier 1? Because it has the most variegated array of solutions to basically any situation the DM could throw to him.
Combat? There are a lot of approaches that could be chosen, debuffing, battlefield control, summoning of allies, even simple blasting.
Diplomacy? Here too, there is charming, domination, simple intimidation, divination, mind reading and whatnot.
Stealth? Invisibility, silence, summoning of stealthy critters, scrying, clairvoyance et cetera.
Movement? Flight, teleport, plane shifting, shadow walking, wind walking, you name it, you have it.

You see, the Wizard itself is a poor, poor class. It has virtually no class feature, just Scribe Scroll, those few metamagic/item crafting feats and the familiar. It's the spells that give it its versatility, the fact that there are spells for virtually every situation, spells that let the Wizard perform various orders of magnitude better than the classes suited to deal with those very situations.

Glimbur
2014-01-24, 07:21 AM
It is possible to make a Tier 1 or 2 without using magic. The problem is that to be Tier 1 or 2 you need a variety of abilities which straight-up break things. Teleport breaks travelling adventures. Divinations break investigations. Battlefield control breaks combat. And so on. It is possible for a wise DM to plan around these things, but the fact that they have to be specifically planned around makes them Tier 1/2.

So, if you gave them class features that emulated broken spells, then you could make a Tier 1 or 2, depending on the breadth of their selection and whether or not they can change abilities.

As an example, consider a hypothetical class which can kill anything it touches, but has 2 skill points and no other class features. Broken? Yes. Tier? Probably 4, maybe 3. It can do one thing well, and nothing else.