PDA

View Full Version : [BiTPR2] Renewed Revolution: Spirit World III

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Tebryn
2014-01-27, 02:11 AM
Last post of the pervious thread. Let the games begin. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287823&page=50

Kuroimaken
2014-01-27, 08:03 AM
[SSI, Koutetsu Hideki's office]

"Forgive me for doubting it. As an intelligence officer first and a leader second, imagining the worst-case scenario is kind of in my job description."

Draken
2014-01-27, 09:43 AM
SEnCorp

"And it is the job description of a weapons developer to make sure that they are safe to use. Even the wrapping of the sword's hilt was an upgrade at some point in time."

Type, type, print. Hideki hands Setsurou a piece of paper.

"Here is what the weapons will cost with a breakdown of part pricings. Good luck with the budget."

Nothing too exotic in there. Still quite a list, probably not enough money will be given to the project to get past the two digits in units until the things are tested and deemed successful.

Kuroimaken
2014-01-27, 10:46 AM
"Duly noted. Your work makes my job easier, by the way."

Setsurou takes up the piece of paper and takes a brief look at it. It's not like he was expecting a different outcome either.

"I need to pass along two reports to Ishinomori-san. Any chance they can be delivered via Reiphone somehow? I need to run the specs of this thing by Naijeru, see how he likes the idea."

Dorizzit
2014-01-27, 12:55 PM
Having come through the Garganta only a little bit before Jehoel he was looking around in a sort of wonder at the city. It was definitely not what he was expecting from a city of Hollows. His mind was processing and filing away the sights for later when Jehoel asked his question. Thinking about it for a bit he responded, "If Mikael and Rin-san are okay with it I would like to see the purpose-based districts first."

[Las Noches]
District 11

"Very well. I would like to note that, as a city of several thousand people, a complete tour would take almost an entire day. I...assume that an absence of this length of time would be problematic, yes? Perhaps it would be best for me to show you the highlights rather than give a comprehensive tour."

He begins lifting districts off.

"Starting with the purpose based districts, we have the Conversion district where Hollows are transformed into Arrancar, the Science district where experimentation is performed, the farming district, Grand Arena, Art, Education, Philosophy, and Grand Library."

ImpSyndrome
2014-01-27, 02:21 PM
[One week later...SEIREITEI, INTERNAL SECURITY TRAINING FACILITY]

Satoshi's been busy over the past week, and it's starting to show some results. For one, he's not quite so feeble as before beginning his training under Urameshi; still just as fragile, but much more able to defend himself without a weapon. In addition, his transfer to Internal Security appears to have been extended indefinitely, so he has taken the liberty of requesting a change of assignment to that division's barracks.

Now that he's been under Urameshi's supervision for two weeks, it's about time for his abilities to be assessed. He awakens early, still feeling a bit sore from recent bumps and bruises, and prepares himself for a downright brutal test (and that's saying something, considering some of the tasks he's been put through already) of everything he's learned so far. After steeling himself for what promises to be a trying event, he quickly makes his way to the training facility, where Urameshi is likely waiting impatiently for him...

((Let me know if this post is assuming too much or advancing too quickly.))

Kuroimaken
2014-01-27, 05:22 PM
Waiting, yes. Impatiently, no.

If nothing else, Urameshi's posture is the exact opposite of what one would expect. He's sitting on a lawn chair, a bag of popcorn on his lap, as he watches the various recruits fight with varying degrees of success or interest. They're all tagged by a red or white hachimaki, and the ones with red hachimaki are typically armed. In some cases, there's more than one opponent at a time for each member of the white team...

5a Violista
2014-01-28, 01:36 AM
(Oops. Posted in the wrong thread.)

[Soul Society]
Black Dragon Gate Inn

"Oh really?", Hoshi says skeptically, then looking at Caeyrn and letting him speak before continuing.

"If you ask me, 'many' is sort of a relative term. We are talking maybe a dozen people who would be happy about it. While I'm here for my family, I still embarked on this journey knowing that most would not even consider doing it. They still believe my sister..." Hoshi sighs. "They still believe my sister will solve it all with her amazing powers and charisma. They're all idiots engaging in wishful thinking, if you ask me. She's not young anymore."

Hoshi regains her focus and gives Koutarou a dry look. "Besides... there's no such thing as a 'defenseless' Quincy. There's also no such Quincy who would have no doubts of your offer, it'd be just like them to think this is a way to lure us all into concentration camps or something. And if you try to safeguard all their non-Quincy relatives, friends, co-workers... yeah, no. It's not a realistic plan. Worrying about what you're 'expected' to do is putting the cart before the horse, a lot of them don't know you exist, Samurai."

"Taken or not, the offer stands, Bowsman." Koutarou notes. "Given the situation and your specific request that we do not interfere, this is really all we can do. And should you reconsider that stance, we would also be willing to reconsider our own.

I honestly wish we could take a more diplomatic and direct approach. But we defer to your expertise in this event. Soul Society is undergoing a number of changes of its own, so perhaps this is for the best.

Is there anything else you'd like to discuss?"

[Seireitei]
Quincies at Black Dragon Gate Inn

Caeyrn has nothing left on his mind. He gives a half of a shake of his head, but defers to Ms. Hoshi before saying so.

He is wondering how common female Shinigami are, however.

At some other time
Miss Suou once again is doing normal things that she should be doing.
Specifically, she's halfheartedly practicing Kido.

[Hueco Mundo]
Moving towards Valentina's quarters

Mikael gives Valentina a dry look. "Panthers are just large cats, you know", he mutters under his breath as she adresses the others. When she turns back to him, he laughs at her question. "Run? Sure." But when she gets moving, he jumps up in the air with all his assorted baggage - but instead of falling back down, he begins to float, and then, in a flash of green light, accelerates and flies after her.

"I can also fly! Just stay where I can see you!", he shouts when he gets next to Valentina, before curving sharply upwards to avoid hitting a wall. He'll follow her from up high, taking the straightest route to her anticipated direction.

Hueco Mundo
Arrived at Valentina's Quarters

Valentina arrives at her quarters. It's very plain and sparse.

Loathe as she is to admit it, Mikael didn't get lost. She grudgingly says to him, "You're not that bad."

She takes a breath and continues. "So, you can keep your things here during your stay in Las Noches. They'll be left alone so long as they stay in here," she says simply.

ImpSyndrome
2014-01-28, 09:26 AM
Waiting, yes. Impatiently, no.

If nothing else, Urameshi's posture is the exact opposite of what one would expect. He's sitting on a lawn chair, a bag of popcorn on his lap, as he watches the various recruits fight with varying degrees of success or interest. They're all tagged by a red or white hachimaki, and the ones with red hachimaki are typically armed. In some cases, there's more than one opponent at a time for each member of the white team...
[I](Oh, this looks promising,) Satoshi thinks to himself with a sense of dread. He approaches Urameshi's location and stands at attention, saying, "Present as requested, sensei. I'm ready to begin my assessment."

Frozen_Feet
2014-01-28, 10:19 AM
[Soul Society]
Black Dragon Gate Inn

"Eh, I think that covers it, Samurai." Hoshi looks rather relaxed. "For my part, I'm happy to stay here for a while. This inn looks cozy. You seem to treat your political prisoners rather well. I need to get a word to my family within a few days, but I'll let you and your bosses a moment to chew on this before getting to that." Hoshi glances at Caeyrn. "You can show the boy around, though. I can tell from that glazed look of his that he's thinking of seeing some scenery. By 'scenery', I mean your female peers... they don't all dress in those dreary black rags, I hope."

---

[Soul Society]
Muken, deepest level of the underground prison

The Commander nods. "I shall leave Kobayashi-san to your care. Now, I have to leave, sadly. I have a lot of things to attend to. I will send one of my servants to aid you in training Hiraku-san later. Good luck." With those words, the commander steps inside the elevator and takes the trip up, leaving Igarashi and Momoka to examine their surroundings.

It's really dark down there. And quiet. If not for the occasional drop of water falling down from the ceiling, the whole place would be like one giant sensory deprivation room. If they go searching, they will find no furniture, unless the occasional sharp rocks jutting out of the water count as such. At points, the water gets dangerously deep, and continuing is not adviced as the same effect that prevents airwalking within Seireitei is present here too - if anything, it's even stronger. It's like an invisible weight placed on the two Shinigami.

But on the bright side, there's a lot of room to set up a workshop and machinery...

((OOC: this concludes briefing for Igarashi and Momoka. They are free to come to and go from Muken as they please. Feel free to detail how they're going around accomplishing their task as you please. I'll put up an episode thread for Masaru's training later on.))

---

[Hueco Mundo]
Valentina's quarters

There's a loud thud as Mikael lowers his heavy possessions on the floor at the corner of the room. "You make it sound like you were intentionally trying to shake me off", the man remarks. "Quite a contradiction with what you said back there. I offered you an easier way to get off the hook for babysitting me, you know? You should've taken it." Mikael stretches his limbs and cracks his neck. "Now, I feel like taking a nap." He takes a step towards Valentina's bed, if there is any. If not, he just sits cross-legged on the floor. "If you feel like not wasting the rest of your day here, feel free to wander off. I promise I won't go anywhere on my own."

Kuroimaken
2014-01-28, 01:20 PM
[I](Oh, this looks promising,) Satoshi thinks to himself with a sense of dread. He approaches Urameshi's location and stands at attention, saying, "Present as requested, sensei. I'm ready to begin my assessment."

"Yer late, Satoshi. The penalty for being late is fighting Tsuchigumo over there."

Satoshi was, of course, keenly aware of who "Tsuchigumo" was. He was one of his senpai and one of the smallest giants he knew. The man was easily nine feet tall. And he was armed with a tetsubo that matched his stature.

"Start at your leisure, kiddo."

[The Black Dragon Inn]

"If you'd rather, we can always toss you in one of our more conventional holding cells." The Vice-Commander jested. "It's kind of against S.O.P. to simply show people around like that under these circunstances. So I'm going to have to decline that request. We can still provide you a good meal and other things to peruse in the meantime, though. Make yourselves as guests in this inn."

Terry576
2014-01-28, 01:33 PM
Masaru's Mindscape

Izanami shrugs and lounges in the throne she has taken over, her hand drumming a beat into one of the arms.

"That's all I do, little wolf! I talk and I talk and I talk and people listen because I've got the power that they dream of, the thing they desire most in the world, and I do nothing with it~ I use it for my own whims and my own needs because black gates and blacker hearts are all that I really see around Seireitei anymore! There's no Amaterasu to convince me otherwise, no Reenes or Izanagis who think that I'm just overreacting; it's all people tripping over themselves to cater to my needs, or prevent me from doing whatever I want. It's a boring thing, so I talk."

As Masaru talks, she listens, and then?

She laughs. A long deep, guttural sound that is as vicious as it is loud, bouncing through the room and hitting walls and just being. She looks at him, danger in her eyes and a mad, mad smile on her face, shaking her head as if he was a small child that had just asked her a stupid question.

"Oh. Oh, oh oh. Little wolf, come ooooooon!"

A sword appears in her hand, more of a needle really, a thin sharp blade that is good only for stabbing and never for cutting, a thing as black as the abyss that she is, and she flicks the tip, watching as it disappears into nothingness.

"Since when were you under the impression I was ever using my Zanpakuto?"

The laugh is back, a cruel and wicked thing that goes on for far too long and is far too twisted for such a person, even if she is no longer taking the form of a little girl, and she grins at him with too sharp teeth and terrifyingly black eyes.

"Reene's right, I've lost my edge. Maybe, like you said, it's 'emotions' that I let control me. Which is true - but the point of teaching is to do as I say not as I do. I can understand why you refuse to listen to me, after all, I'm Izanami-no-Mikoto, and more then that, all you've seen so far is that I've destroyed most of what you know and care about, all because I'm fickle and do what I will!"

She taps her hand on the arm again. Bambumbumbap. Bambumbumbap. Bambumbumbap.

"And yet, little wolf, I'm still here. You talk about how I've done nothing, but I ran the entirety of Gotei for hundreds of years! I swept across battlefields and people fled because I was that strong, that noble, as disgusting as the word sounds to me now, to fight on my own! I am not an example for a Shinigami, I am the example. Please check your facts before you admonish me for doing nothing! You, Seireitei, everything here wouldn't exist if I hadn't Fallen, so long ago."

Her eyes burn like fire and she stares at him with a small smile.

"It's quite alright for you to do whatever you wish! After all, I'm just a voice in your head! 'The same mistakes, the same old pride, the priceless lessons cast aside', as the old adage goes! History repeats itself again and again, so take care little wolf! Take care that you remain you and don't become me~"

ImpSyndrome
2014-01-28, 01:49 PM
"Yer late, Satoshi. The penalty for being late is fighting Tsuchigumo over there."

Satoshi was, of course, keenly aware of who "Tsuchigumo" was. He was one of his senpai and one of the smallest giants he knew. The man was easily nine feet tall. And he was armed with a tetsubo that matched his stature.

"Start at your leisure, kiddo."
By now, Satoshi is used to these punishments; although he's pretty sure he was right on time for today's assessment, he decides against defending himself, if only for fear of incurring some additional penalty. In any case, yes, he's quite familiar with Tsuchigumo, the self-proclaimed "Oni of IntSec"; he's also woefully aware of both his fists and his weapon, all of which have given him a fair number of bruises lately.

"Alright," the newbie reluctantly says, "let's get this over with...Ready when you are, senpai." With that, he adopts a combat stance and prepares himself for the worst...

((Are we assuming that Satoshi has some chance of taking this guy, or is he going to get walloped effortlessly?))

KnightDisciple
2014-01-28, 02:45 PM
Masaru's Mindscape

Izanami shrugs and lounges in the throne she has taken over, her hand drumming a beat into one of the arms.

"That's all I do, little wolf! I talk and I talk and I talk and people listen because I've got the power that they dream of, the thing they desire most in the world, and I do nothing with it~ I use it for my own whims and my own needs because black gates and blacker hearts are all that I really see around Seireitei anymore! There's no Amaterasu to convince me otherwise, no Reenes or Izanagis who think that I'm just overreacting; it's all people tripping over themselves to cater to my needs, or prevent me from doing whatever I want. It's a boring thing, so I talk."

As Masaru talks, she listens, and then?

She laughs. A long deep, guttural sound that is as vicious as it is loud, bouncing through the room and hitting walls and just being. She looks at him, danger in her eyes and a mad, mad smile on her face, shaking her head as if he was a small child that had just asked her a stupid question.

"Oh. Oh, oh oh. Little wolf, come ooooooon!"

A sword appears in her hand, more of a needle really, a thin sharp blade that is good only for stabbing and never for cutting, a thing as black as the abyss that she is, and she flicks the tip, watching as it disappears into nothingness.

"Since when were you under the impression I was ever using my Zanpakuto?"

The laugh is back, a cruel and wicked thing that goes on for far too long and is far too twisted for such a person, even if she is no longer taking the form of a little girl, and she grins at him with too sharp teeth and terrifyingly black eyes.

"Reene's right, I've lost my edge. Maybe, like you said, it's 'emotions' that I let control me. Which is true - but the point of teaching is to do as I say not as I do. I can understand why you refuse to listen to me, after all, I'm Izanami-no-Mikoto, and more then that, all you've seen so far is that I've destroyed most of what you know and care about, all because I'm fickle and do what I will!"

She taps her hand on the arm again. Bambumbumbap. Bambumbumbap. Bambumbumbap.

"And yet, little wolf, I'm still here. You talk about how I've done nothing, but I ran the entirety of Gotei for hundreds of years! I swept across battlefields and people fled because I was that strong, that noble, as disgusting as the word sounds to me now, to fight on my own! I am not an example for a Shinigami, I am the example. Please check your facts before you admonish me for doing nothing! You, Seireitei, everything here wouldn't exist if I hadn't Fallen, so long ago."

Her eyes burn like fire and she stares at him with a small smile.

"It's quite alright for you to do whatever you wish! After all, I'm just a voice in your head! 'The same mistakes, the same old pride, the priceless lessons cast aside', as the old adage goes! History repeats itself again and again, so take care little wolf! Take care that you remain you and don't become me~"

Masaru simply let her talk for a while, before speaking briefly.

"Then if I am free to do what I wish, I wish you to leave me be, so that I may have peace. I am about to undertake something that must remain free of outside influence.

And I wish to remain myself."

His voice is remarkably calm and soft, but there's steel under the velvet.

Kuroimaken
2014-01-28, 04:09 PM
By now, Satoshi is used to these punishments; although he's pretty sure he was right on time for today's assessment, he decides against defending himself, if only for fear of incurring some additional penalty. In any case, yes, he's quite familiar with Tsuchigumo, the self-proclaimed "Oni of IntSec"; he's also woefully aware of both his fists and his weapon, all of which have given him a fair number of bruises lately.

"Alright," the newbie reluctantly says, "let's get this over with...Ready when you are, senpai." With that, he adopts a combat stance and prepares himself for the worst...

((Are we assuming that Satoshi has some chance of taking this guy, or is he going to get walloped effortlessly?))

Standard protocol for an enemy who is five or more times above your weight category is to be smart about it. Satoshi has a chance, but only if he fights smart. While it wouldn't be uncalled for to have him demonstrate more strength than he's supposed to have in some way, it's up to you how Satoshi is going to get out of this mess. :smallbiggrin:

Tsuchigumo is, of course, a mere nickname. 'Oni of IntSec' is also a nickname, but not one that the veteran claims exclusivity of - there are at least two or three recruits close to his size or comparative strength that claim the same. They haven't been able to settle the matter definitively yet.

Satoshi is greeted by a wide side sweep of the tetsubo. Tsuchigumo telegraphs a lot, thankfully, but that doesn't make dealing with it much easier. Between the size of the weapon and the opponent himself, he has a lot of reach and area to toy with.

ImpSyndrome
2014-01-29, 09:22 AM
Standard protocol for an enemy who is five or more times above your weight category is to be smart about it. Satoshi has a chance, but only if he fights smart. While it wouldn't be uncalled for to have him demonstrate more strength than he's supposed to have in some way, it's up to you how Satoshi is going to get out of this mess. :smallbiggrin:

Tsuchigumo is, of course, a mere nickname. 'Oni of IntSec' is also a nickname, but not one that the veteran claims exclusivity of - there are at least two or three recruits close to his size or comparative strength that claim the same. They haven't been able to settle the matter definitively yet.

Satoshi is greeted by a wide side sweep of the tetsubo. Tsuchigumo telegraphs a lot, thankfully, but that doesn't make dealing with it much easier. Between the size of the weapon and the opponent himself, he has a lot of reach and area to toy with.
((Well, I'll just have to fight strategically and hope for the best, then.))

Satoshi reacts quickly to the opening attack, noting Tsuchigumo's stance and motions as he swings his massive weapon. There are a few possible options, all of which have their advantages: dive forward and under the attack, negating the reach of the weapon; jump backward to safety and watch for an opening; or leap over the sweeping blow and counter-attack in midair. His final decision, though, is much more gutsy: he quickly takes a step forward and lashes out with a precision strike, aimed at the wrist of his enemy's weapon arm. Should his blow connect, the shock of the impact should halt the attack and force the giant Shinigami to drop his tetsubo, evening the odds slightly in the newbie's favor...

((Let's take this one move at a time for now, shall we?))

Kuroimaken
2014-01-29, 11:31 AM
I'd have it no other way.

Satoshi's move proves fairly ineffective. While Tsuchigumo's hand does tremble a bit, he doesn't relinquish his grip on the weapon. Even if he did, he's wielding it with both hands. That would at best create an opening.

The giant grunts as he lets the struck arm release the tetsubo, swinging his arm around in an attempt to backhand Satoshi. This time the recruit is closer to his range, and given the size of that upper palm, he might have some difficulty dodging...

ImpSyndrome
2014-01-29, 12:49 PM
I'd have it no other way.

Satoshi's move proves fairly ineffective. While Tsuchigumo's hand does tremble a bit, he doesn't relinquish his grip on the weapon. Even if he did, he's wielding it with both hands. That would at best create an opening.

The giant grunts as he lets the struck arm release the tetsubo, swinging his arm around in an attempt to backhand Satoshi. This time the recruit is closer to his range, and given the size of that upper palm, he might have some difficulty dodging...
((Well, shoot...Wish I'd known it was a two-handed attack; his strategy would've been different then.))

The tremor in Tsuchigumo's hand gives Satoshi just enough time to react to his gambit's failure, and he readies himself for the next move. Being aware of his opponent's movements, he anticipates the backhand, but knowing that he's being evaluated on more than tactics alone, he takes another risk in reacting. Rather than trying to avoid the blow, Satoshi steps closer and reaches out to grab the oversized Shinigami's elbow and wrist as they rocket toward him. Success will have him catch his opponent's arm and pull it outward, redirecting the force of the attack and staggering him; considering his foe's size and weight, it shouldn't take much more than a quick tug, and with any luck, he'll either fall flat on his face or hit a wall, adding injury to the insult...

5a Violista
2014-01-30, 01:39 AM
Soul Society
Black Dragon Inn

Hm. Interesting. They're guests, trapped in this inn. It sounds like it's time to start feeling for the boundaries of this. "Well," Caeyrn responds, leaning back and getting into a comfortable - almost disrespectful - slouching position. "Here's nice enough. Wouldn't mind staying, so long as I don't miss work for this."

Hueco Mundo
Valentina's Quarters

"I figured you would keep up," she responds, almost shocked that he would suggest such a thing. Almost. Because, in a way, it sort-of was true.

There is, indeed, a bed. It's probably not the most comfortable one ever, but it's not used very often either. "Alright. I'll just leave you here." There's not really anything he could mess up in here, anyway. "Just don't break anything."

She stares at him a little, to make sure he understood. Then, Valentina turns around and exits the room to go do other duties she has.

Kuroimaken
2014-01-30, 06:22 AM
"Good! Don't worry about expenses. The Gotei has been a sponsor of this inn since its foundation. If that'll be all, gentlemen, I need to make a report. I DO answer to someone higher in the chain of command, after all." Koutarou stood up and offered a short bow.

"If you need to contact me again, send us a message. The Black Dragon Inn has excellent couriers."

Kuroimaken
2014-01-30, 12:21 PM
((Well, shoot...Wish I'd known it was a two-handed attack; his strategy would've been different then.))

The tremor in Tsuchigumo's hand gives Satoshi just enough time to react to his gambit's failure, and he readies himself for the next move. Being aware of his opponent's movements, he anticipates the backhand, but knowing that he's being evaluated on more than tactics alone, he takes another risk in reacting. Rather than trying to avoid the blow, Satoshi steps closer and reaches out to grab the oversized Shinigami's elbow and wrist as they rocket toward him. Success will have him catch his opponent's arm and pull it outward, redirecting the force of the attack and staggering him; considering his foe's size and weight, it shouldn't take much more than a quick tug, and with any luck, he'll either fall flat on his face or hit a wall, adding injury to the insult...

Unfortunately, Satoshi's gambit fails to take into account the sheer massiveness of his opponent's strength and weight. The best he manages is to cushion the impact somewhat before he's sent reeling backwards against the dirt.

ImpSyndrome
2014-01-30, 12:29 PM
Unfortunately, Satoshi's gambit fails to take into account the sheer massiveness of his opponent's strength and weight. The best he manages is to cushion the impact somewhat before he's sent reeling backwards against the dirt.
Satoshi fails even that much, being frail as he is; the blow lobs him back in an upward arc, landing on his back several yards away. It's not the first time he's been tossed around by a hefty opponent, but this time he's sustained a fractured rib in the process; it's going to be much harder, if not impossible, to perform any more grappling techniques...not that he plans to anyway, considering how spectacularly he botched these attempts. He's slow to get to his feet, but once he does, he'll square off his stance and get ready for another try...

Kuroimaken
2014-01-30, 01:58 PM
Worse yet is the taunting grin of the "Oni". He doesn't say a thing, letting his expression mark his opinion of Satoshi. He waits for the recruit to get to his feet before taking a step forward and going for an overhead bash with both hands again.

ImpSyndrome
2014-01-30, 02:34 PM
Worse yet is the taunting grin of the "Oni". He doesn't say a thing, letting his expression mark his opinion of Satoshi. He waits for the recruit to get to his feet before taking a step forward and going for an overhead bash with both hands again.
As soon as Satoshi gets back on his feet, he rolls to one side to avoid the vertical strike, but the maneuver puts some strain on his fracture and causes him more pain. Two weeks' worth of frustration and anger has already started to fester in his mind, but fighting this losing battle is quickly making things worse. Notions of rebellion creep into his consciousness, of ignoring the nature of his training and employing his Kido and agility techniques to overcome his opponent. Without the nod from Urameshi, though, he can only wonder what else he can do against such an overwhelming force...

Kuroimaken
2014-01-30, 02:46 PM
.oO(Why isn't he playing to his strengths?) Urameshi pondered as he watched the match.

Tsuchigumo, for his own part, once again reverts to shorter-range attacks when the tetsubo fails. This time, he rears back a kick aimed squarely at Satoshi's torso.

At least, on the upside, that means only one of his feet is on the ground...

ImpSyndrome
2014-01-30, 03:00 PM
.oO(Why isn't he playing to his strengths?) Urameshi pondered as he watched the match.

Tsuchigumo, for his own part, once again reverts to shorter-range attacks when the tetsubo fails. This time, he rears back a kick aimed squarely at Satoshi's torso.

At least, on the upside, that means only one of his feet is on the ground...
Hobbled by his injury, Satoshi's recovery from the dodge is delayed, and he catches the kick with his face instead. He recoils and staggers several paces away, clutching at his nose (it doesn't seem to be broken, thank goodness), and struggles to maintain focus and balance. For some reason, he's feeling these hits more than he ever did during his training, and all the mistakes he's making are only serving to further cloud his mind. He shakes his head a few times to clear away the cobwebs and glares darkly at Tsuchigumo, searching for some way to subvert his ridiculous strength...

Kuroimaken
2014-01-30, 03:21 PM
"That's enough, Tsuchigumo. Obviously the kid was too overmatched this time." Urameshi replies as he notices just how slow Satoshi's reflexes are after that first tumble.

Despite feeling sore and bruised all over, Satoshi had never actually broken any bones during Urameshi's training. Takes longer to heal, after all, even with Kaido.

Perhaps because of this Urameshi decided to call it off.

Of course, he ordered Tsuchigumo to stand down, not Satoshi...

ImpSyndrome
2014-01-30, 03:51 PM
"That's enough, Tsuchigumo. Obviously the kid was too overmatched this time." Urameshi replies as he notices just how slow Satoshi's reflexes are after that first tumble.

Despite feeling sore and bruised all over, Satoshi had never actually broken any bones during Urameshi's training. Takes longer to heal, after all, even with Kaido.

Perhaps because of this Urameshi decided to call it off.

Of course, he ordered Tsuchigumo to stand down, not Satoshi...
Suddenly, everything stops, and the trainee stares dumbfounded as the "Oni" disengages. Satoshi has half a mind to call shenanigans on Urameshi right now. He sentences him to fight a losing battle and then calls it halfway through? That's not the trainer he has been working with for the past two weeks; he'd want the newbie to follow through, to see the fight to its bitter end, even if it means getting his face caved in. Then again, Satoshi isn't quite thinking straight, what with his blood roiling with indignant rage and his rib cage still buzzing with dull pain.

When it comes down to it, though, Urameshi's right; he's in over his head against the bulky Tsuchigumo, the odds stacked too heavily against him now that he's been injured. As much as he'd love to break out a sneak attack and get some revenge, the fight's over and throwing a fit isn't going to change the fact of his failure. He sinks to one knee and cradles his chest with one arm, spitting a curse in Japanese. "I should've known better," he mutters. "Taking him head-on was a big mistake...Some 'bad-@$$' I turned out to be."

((Disappointing, I know, but anything else would've been hugely out-of-character for him. Plus, I can't have him win every battle, regardless of the odds, just because he's my character.))

Kuroimaken
2014-01-30, 05:36 PM
Nah, it's perfectly fine. Either outcome I can work with, actually, and both would build character for him in different but interesting ways. For the record, Satoshi DID have a winning chance against Tsuchigumo, but he risked too much too early.

"Go report your ass to Medical, Satoshi. You're no good to any of us half-broken."

Once the rage clears up, Satoshi may realize that as much as Urameshi stacked the deck against him, as painful as his lessons had been so far, he'd never really been given a task he couldn't complete. He'd been yelled at, occasionally swatted with a shinai, but while he'd always been challenged, he'd never been given a losing hand.

ImpSyndrome
2014-01-31, 08:46 AM
[INTSEC TRAINING FACILITY -> Heading to LOGISTICS & MEDICINE GROUNDS]

Nah, it's perfectly fine. Either outcome I can work with, actually, and both would build character for him in different but interesting ways. For the record, Satoshi DID have a winning chance against Tsuchigumo, but he risked too much too early.

"Go report your ass to Medical, Satoshi. You're no good to any of us half-broken."

Once the rage clears up, Satoshi may realize that as much as Urameshi stacked the deck against him, as painful as his lessons had been so far, he'd never really been given a task he couldn't complete. He'd been yelled at, occasionally swatted with a shinai, but while he'd always been challenged, he'd never been given a losing hand.
((Very true, although I didn't consider it when we first started the fight. Lesson learned, I suppose.))

Satoshi slowly stands up and shuffles dejectedly out of the training facility, his ego suffering as much as he appears to in body. Nothing from the past two weeks comes close to the shame he feels now.

((Er...Sorry for the short post, but I'm not entirely sure where to take this now. Should I act his hospitalization out through exposition, wait for another player to take control of one of the Logistics and Medicine NPCs, or just skip through it entirely...? Any thoughts?))

Kuroimaken
2014-01-31, 10:17 AM
Thankfully for Satoshi, Kaido makes most of the recovery process relatively easy to live through. Specially since he expended no spiritual energy whatsoever in the fight.

The nurse seeing to him recommends he stays interred for 24 hours, just in case they missed something. Standard operating procedure, really.

What may surprise Satoshi is that Urameshi, of all people, comes to visit.

"How are your wounds?"

ImpSyndrome
2014-01-31, 11:16 AM
Thankfully for Satoshi, Kaido makes most of the recovery process relatively easy to live through. Specially since he expended no spiritual energy whatsoever in the fight.

The nurse seeing to him recommends he stays interred for 24 hours, just in case they missed something. Standard operating procedure, really.

What may surprise Satoshi is that Urameshi, of all people, comes to visit.

"How are your wounds?"
Satoshi sits up to acknowledge Urameshi's presence; he suspends his surprise until he knows whether or not the trainer has come by to cut him down for not living up to expectations. "I'll live," he says shortly. "Only thing still hurting is my pride...but that's what I get for being careless. Pops tells me all the time, 'You can't fix stupid'...It's just a joke, but maybe there's some truth to it." The rookie lets out a sigh and asks, "So, what happens next...?"

Kuroimaken
2014-01-31, 12:40 PM
For the first time since he's first met Urameshi, the veteran's shoulders shake in a half-laugh in response to one of his comments. "Before we get to next, there's a couple of things we need to get through.

It's good that you have such an honest opinion of yourself, but your evaluation is a little harsher than it should be. There's nothing wrong with having pride, as long as you don't let it dictate your decisions. Better you learn it here than out in the field, where a mistake could cost you or your companions' lives. I'm sure you're punishing yourself enough that you don't really need me piling on, too.

Why did you try to beat Tsuchigumo the way you did?"

ImpSyndrome
2014-01-31, 01:05 PM
For the first time since he's first met Urameshi, the veteran's shoulders shake in a half-laugh in response to one of his comments. "Before we get to next, there's a couple of things we need to get through.

It's good that you have such an honest opinion of yourself, but your evaluation is a little harsher than it should be. There's nothing wrong with having pride, as long as you don't let it dictate your decisions. Better you learn it here than out in the field, where a mistake could cost you or your companions' lives. I'm sure you're punishing yourself enough that you don't really need me piling on, too.
Now that...That was unexpected. Satoshi barely lets it show, maybe blinking a couple times, but it's still there, and Urameshi will probably notice.

Why did you try to beat Tsuchigumo the way you did?"
"Not sure I understand what part of it you're talking about, sensei," he says, although he could make a couple educated guesses. If he's referring to the reason he limited himself to grappling, he'll answer, "You've been training me in Hakuda...I figured that's what you were looking to judge, and I didn't pick up on any indications otherwise. Maybe you didn't outright forbid Kido or Sokudo, but I decided not to take the chance. Better to ask permission than to beg forgiveness, if you ask me."

As for why he chose more dangerous tactics, Satoshi will respond, "Yeah, looking back, that wasn't the best choice...but I picked a couple risky moves because I knew I couldn't last in an endurance battle against someone that size. If I succeeded, I might have a chance, and if not...well, at least it was over quickly..."

Kuroimaken
2014-01-31, 01:57 PM
"In the last two weeks, I have been teaching you Hakuda, that's true. We never specifically covered fighting a much larger opponent than yourself.

That was, however, supplemental knowledge. It's something you're going to need, but not something you should use exclusively. I wager you know the difference?"

Frozen_Feet
2014-01-31, 03:14 PM
Hueco Mundo
Valentina's Quarters

"I figured you would keep up," she responds, almost shocked that he would suggest such a thing. Almost. Because, in a way, it sort-of was true.

There is, indeed, a bed. It's probably not the most comfortable one ever, but it's not used very often either. "Alright. I'll just leave you here." There's not really anything he could mess up in here, anyway. "Just don't break anything."

She stares at him a little, to make sure he understood. Then, Valentina turns around and exits the room to go do other duties she has.

Mikael lays on the bed and crosses his legs, placing his hands behind his head. "Whatever you say, cat-girl", he replies half-heartedly while closing his eyes. It's been a busy day and his injured body demands rest. But even as the body sleeps, the spirit wanders...

---

Soul Society
Black Dragon Inn

Hm. Interesting. They're guests, trapped in this inn. It sounds like it's time to start feeling for the boundaries of this. "Well," Caeyrn responds, leaning back and getting into a comfortable - almost disrespectful - slouching position. "Here's nice enough. Wouldn't mind staying, so long as I don't miss work for this."

"Good! Don't worry about expenses. The Gotei has been a sponsor of this inn since its foundation. If that'll be all, gentlemen, I need to make a report. I DO answer to someone higher in the chain of command, after all." Koutarou stood up and offered a short bow.

"If you need to contact me again, send us a message. The Black Dragon Inn has excellent couriers."

Hoshi gives Caeyrn a look. "Your work is about the least important thing in this world, boy." Then, the elderly lady stands up, bowing to Koutarou. "Sure, go ahead, samurai. I'll take this chance to see what's in the fridge." Leaving Caeyrn to his devices, Hoshi leaves to dine.

ImpSyndrome
2014-01-31, 03:38 PM
"In the last two weeks, I have been teaching you Hakuda, that's true. We never specifically covered fighting a much larger opponent than yourself.

That was, however, supplemental knowledge. It's something you're going to need, but not something you should use exclusively. I wager you know the difference?"
Satoshi doesn't answer immediately this time, taking his time to consider this information first. "I think so," he says. "If I'm right, it's about building on the various combat arts and letting them complement each other to become more effective in battle. I guess that means I just didn't realize where this was all going: I thought I was only developing Hakuda techniques whole-sale, not going so far as to integrate it with what skills I already possess..."

Kuroimaken
2014-01-31, 04:19 PM
"We teach a variety of techniques at the Academy for a reason: not everyone develops the same kind of fighting style. Some are more effective than others at direct strikes, others prefer grappling.

And then there's that cheat of a Third Seat... Urameshi mutters under his breath.

It's only natural that as soon as you're out of the Academy you favor whichever skill you're best at. Complementary training is meant to make you the best at what you're to be assigned to do. But it's not the ONLY thing you're supposed to use.

You had a good idea at the start, but poor execution. You also risked too much getting into extreme close combat. I admire the courage with which you rushed in, but that was never in question.

I actually picked Tsuchigumo as your opponent as a case example of exploitable weaknesses. I can't tell you any more than that because you'll have to fight him again. So think about what his weaknesses are, and what your strengths are. You'll figure it out eventually."

5a Violista
2014-02-01, 05:48 PM
Hueco Mundo
El Sexto Distrito

Valentina leaves, slightly frustrated. "Not a cat," she tells herself. "They're different."

She goes around doing things.

[Soul Society]
Black Dragon Inn

"Its importance has no bearing on me missing it or not," he responds.

Then, to pass a couple minutes, sitting there without Hoshi, he thinks aloud, "You know," he tells himself, (and possibly anyone listening in), "I don't actually see the difference between the two different kinds of arrows. They will both have the same net result, in the end."

"Anyway," he continues, "I think I should go out for a walk."

Caeyrn then gets up and leaves the Black Dragon Inn, to see more of the place. He's trying to act as if he's allowed to do so, while staying out of the places where it would be most likely someone would see him.

Kuroimaken
2014-02-01, 05:58 PM
Caeyrn will realize that while he's not kept from relatively less important areas, he's not allowed too far out of the vicinity of the Black Dragon Inn. Noticeably, there's a nearby restaurant, a tailor, and a pottery shop he can visit.

All in all, he has SOME free reign. But not much.

At least the restaurant looks like it has some pretty waitresses...

strawberryman
2014-02-01, 11:46 PM
[Soul Society]
(Underground Prison)

Momoka begins the steady trickle of equipment down to the cavern by the same afternoon she and Igarashi met with the commander, beginning the diagnostic and planning session of the Dangai 'zone' they would be creating.

The kido practitioner lights up the area with several floating orbs of light, that burn with a white flame, bathing the research area in a ghostly aura.

Projections on the completed manifestation are quite optimistic!

Terry576
2014-02-03, 08:06 AM
Masaru's Mindscape

She pouts, but it's childish and unnecessary, like much of what she does.

This is what it means to be 'Izanami-no-Mikoto'. A person who speaks, but never listens. Something that everyone should avoid, because why would you waste words, when there is no communication at all?

"That's fine too! But I'd prefer it if you listened to me every now and then little wolf, after all you never know!" She grins, but its so empty of anything that its exactly her eyes - a black pool of nothingness that swallows everything it sees. "I might know something you don't~"

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-03, 12:26 PM
"We teach a variety of techniques at the Academy for a reason: not everyone develops the same kind of fighting style. Some are more effective than others at direct strikes, others prefer grappling.

And then there's that cheat of a Third Seat... Urameshi mutters under his breath.

It's only natural that as soon as you're out of the Academy you favor whichever skill you're best at. Complementary training is meant to make you the best at what you're to be assigned to do. But it's not the ONLY thing you're supposed to use.

You had a good idea at the start, but poor execution. You also risked too much getting into extreme close combat. I admire the courage with which you rushed in, but that was never in question.

I actually picked Tsuchigumo as your opponent as a case example of exploitable weaknesses. I can't tell you any more than that because you'll have to fight him again. So think about what his weaknesses are, and what your strengths are. You'll figure it out eventually."
"I certainly hope so," Satoshi responds grimly. "Although...he covers his weaknesses pretty well...It'll take some doing to expose an opening."

It might not happen right away, but just before Urameshi leaves, Satoshi will ask him, "How did you learn all of this, sensei? Is all this knowledge and ability owed to practice, experience, or...? I guess what I mean to ask is...how much more of this training and conditioning should I expect?" Inwardly, though, he'll think to himself, (Why am I so weak compared to the others...? I'm so sick of being useless...)

Kuroimaken
2014-02-03, 04:51 PM
"Can't give you any more hints than that, boy. I've overstepped my bounds as it is. I just figured I'd check up on you. The advice came free of charge.

As for your question, though, you're going about it the wrong way."

Urameshi stood up, getting ready to leave.

"There's a saying: it takes ten thousand hours of practice to become good at something. The faster the learner, the lesser the number.

What the saying neglects to mention is that ten hours practiced wanting out is not worth a minute done with true intent to improve. We cannot teach you how to apply the techniques you've been taught, only what they're good for.

I know my training regimen has been described as 'hellish', to use an euphemism. But would you rather suffer through that, or suffer what you did today?"

Kuroimaken
2014-02-03, 04:56 PM
[TIMEY-WIMEY BALL AWAY]

After leaving the Engineering Division's HQ (and presumably delivering the reports one way or the other), Setsurou goes about his way looking for Naijeru. With any luck, he'll be in the Combat Division training grounds.

He arrives with a number of dumplings on a spit looking for the Acting Captain...

Draken
2014-02-03, 05:24 PM
"Duly noted. Your work makes my job easier, by the way."

Setsurou takes up the piece of paper and takes a brief look at it. It's not like he was expecting a different outcome either.

"I need to pass along two reports to Ishinomori-san. Any chance they can be delivered via Reiphone somehow? I need to run the specs of this thing by Naijeru, see how he likes the idea."

"Well. The reiphones can be used to pass messages but nothing that I could in good administrative conscience call a 'report', a personal update at most, nothing with actual documental weight."

"Here, you can send it from my computer if you want."

Hideki offers the keyboard and turns the screen around.

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-03, 05:32 PM
"Can't give you any more hints than that, boy. I've overtstepped my bounds as it is. I just figured I'd check up on you. The advice came free of charge.

As for your question, though, you're going about it the wrong way."

Urameshi stood up, getting ready to leave.

"There's a saying: it takes ten thousand hours of practice to become good at something. The faster the learner, the lesser the number.

What the saying neglects to mention is that ten hours practiced wanting out is not worth a minute done with true intent to improve. We cannot teach you how to apply the techniques you've been taught, only what they're good for.

I know my training regimen has been described as 'hellish', to use an euphemism. But would you rather suffer through that, or suffer what you did today?"
"Wouldn't be much of a test if I knew the answers before hand, I guess." Then, as the instructor turns to leave, "I, uh...I appreciate the visit...Thanks, sensei." Finally, he gets an answer to his question, but it's hardly satisfactory; he certainly wants to benefit from his training, but he still believes himself to be progressing too slowly to measure up to the other Shinigami. (If it ensured my success, I'd go through Makai and back a hundred times,) he laments silently, (but while I'm plodding along with this, our enemies are getting stronger, smarter, and bolder...Time is critical, and I can't help but feel like I'm wasting it...)

Kuroimaken
2014-02-03, 05:58 PM
"Just doing my job, kid.

And don't rush it. Better take ten years and do it right than take an hour and do it half-assed."

Urameshi leaves the room.

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-04, 09:54 AM
"Just doing my job, kid.

And don't rush it. Better take ten years and do it right than take an hour and do it half-assed."

Urameshi leaves the room.
After watching Urameshi leave, Satoshi flops back on his pillow and releases a heavy sigh. "(That's easier said than done,)" he murmurs. "(What if the things we've been fighting for are gone in those ten years? What would all of this work be worth then...? How can we not rush when time is constantly working against us...?)"

((Time-skip OK?))

Kuroimaken
2014-02-04, 04:32 PM
"Well. The reiphones can be used to pass messages but nothing that I could in good administrative conscience call a 'report', a personal update at most, nothing with actual documental weight."

"Here, you can send it from my computer if you want."

Hideki offers the keyboard and turns the screen around.

Setsurou frowned. He pondered how the Vice-Commander was to receive it. Instead, he shrugged and got to typing.

He was done within two minutes. Two of the most haunting minutes Hideki likely experienced; Setsurou's typing speed was on par with most of his researchers'. For a man so archaic in many ways, it looked like he'd been behind a keyboard for long, long stretches of time. And he certainly didn't spend it surfing the internet.

"Thanks for all your help. And sorry for the hassle."

[At the Hospital]

The nurses discharged Satoshi after an overnight stay. Thankfully, broken bones are nothing to Kaidou. He hadn't been hurt too badly besides - no punctured organs or veins. He'd gotten pretty lucky, all told.

Skipping ahead to the next day is fine by me.

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-05, 10:11 AM
[Soul Society]

Following the day of the Quincies' arrival and the interrogations of Hazuki Tsubame and Koutetsu Hideki, the two Shinigami receive messages from Headquarters.

Tsubame will be visited by a researcher from Medicine and Logistics. Apparently, they want to ask her questions regarding her studies with the Quincies. She is given a few hours to process the thought and prepare.

Hideki is given a message telling him to get to the Commander-General's office. Zheng Li Lin has a task for him.

Draken
2014-02-05, 10:33 AM
Soul Society
Commander-General Office

It is a good thing that Hideki has so many addons to his personal equipment. He can do his standard work on the move. Not quite as comfortable as working on his desk, of course.

That means he heads to the headquarter's office as soon as the message comes.

"General Li, you have a request for me?"

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-05, 10:56 AM
The greying general looks up from a stack of papers. ""Ah, Koutetsu-fukutaichou. You are quick as ever." Li's eyes have deep dark bags under them, and the commander's hands seem shaky. Interestingly, the bags have distinct green tinge to them.

"I have a mission for which I believe you are uniquely suited. You have been a member of both SSI and Reconnassaince, correct? As such, you should be familiar with both Earth operations and SSI personnel roster. Does the name Ruggles Alice ring a bell?"

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-05, 11:02 AM
[The next day...]

Satoshi is glad to leave the infirmary the next morning; feelings of stagnation were beginning to creep in before his release from their custody. After performing a few warm-up exercises to ensure he wasn't too stale from his stay, he immediately rushes over to the training facility to report to Urameshi. Upon finding him, he'll ask, "What's the plan today, sensei? Am I fighting Kumo-senpai again, or is there something else?"

Draken
2014-02-05, 11:07 AM
Hideki pauses for a bit.

"I never worked with Ruggles in the SSI and their mortal world operations were hardly ever informed to Reconnaissance, but after seeing her file I can confirm that I met her before, in my time there. She works primarily in psychology and social engineering, I believe."

Dorizzit
2014-02-05, 11:09 AM
[Soul Society]
Holding Cell

Tsubame agrees to help the researcher, and requests that her notebook be returned in preparation for the questioning.

AnimeKid
2014-02-05, 12:49 PM
[Las Noches]
District 11

"Very well. I would like to note that, as a city of several thousand people, a complete tour would take almost an entire day. I...assume that an absence of this length of time would be problematic, yes? Perhaps it would be best for me to show you the highlights rather than give a comprehensive tour."

He begins lifting districts off.

"Starting with the purpose based districts, we have the Conversion district where Hollows are transformed into Arrancar, the Science district where experimentation is performed, the farming district, Grand Arena, Art, Education, Philosophy, and Grand Library."

Tamaki thinks over the options before he picks the one that interests him the most. "Very well then. I would love to see the Grand Library. It should proves very enlightening and educational.

[TIMEY-WIMEY BALL AWAY]

After leaving the Engineering Division's HQ (and presumably delivering the reports one way or the other), Setsurou goes about his way looking for Naijeru. With any luck, he'll be in the Combat Division training grounds.

He arrives with a number of dumplings on a spit looking for the Acting Captain...

When Setsurou find Naijeru he is having a good deal of the division men running through Hakuda drills. It looks like they were working on grabs, disarming, and submission maneuvers. Perfect for taking on the criminals in their upcoming mission. Seeing Setsurou come up to them Naijeru gives the hand signal to stop the drills, which the med do gratefully. Most of them have their hands on their knees and are panting heavily from how hard Naijeru has been drilling them. Turning to look at the man would be helping with the operation he said, "Good afternoon Setsurou-san. Is there something I can help you with."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-05, 12:52 PM
[The next day...]

Satoshi is glad to leave the infirmary the next morning; feelings of stagnation were beginning to creep in before his release from their custody. After performing a few warm-up exercises to ensure he wasn't too stale from his stay, he immediately rushes over to the training facility to report to Urameshi. Upon finding him, he'll ask, "What's the plan today, sensei? Am I fighting Kumo-senpai again, or is there something else?"

Urameshi perks an eyebrow. "That depends. What makes you think you'll beat him this time?"

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-05, 01:18 PM
Urameshi perks an eyebrow. "That depends. What makes you think you'll beat him this time?"
Satoshi takes a moment to gather his thoughts before responding, "I'm trying not to think that far ahead. I thought about what you said yesterday, and I realized just how dumb I was acting. I knew I couldn't beat Kumo-senpai in a straight fight, but I was in a rush to live up to Setsurou-san's expectations. I'll need more time to develop my Hakuda and learn to use them in tandem with my other abilities, like you said. If Setsurou-san needs to find someone else for his op in the meantime, then so be it. Better that he finds the right person for the job than a half-baked rookie like me.

"So," he concludes, "to answer your question, sensei...I don't think I can beat him yet."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-05, 04:32 PM
"Kid, I want the baby, not the labor pains. But since you put this so colourfully, let me dot some i's for you.

First of all, if you're training with us, you're in the op. Doesn't matter which capacity, we're going to need all the hands we can get - that's why Setsurou-san snagged you from Recon.

Second, if you're hoping to go anywhere being a teacher's pet, being a rookie is the least of your problems. You're not gonna beat Tsuchigumo with an attitude geared towards anyone but yourself. In fact, you're not going to beat anyone that's not weaker than you.

And third, you're still overthinking it and not really doing anything. I don't particularly mind if you decide to try against Tsuchigumo everyday, or if you decide to train your ass off and then try again. But that's not up to me to decide unless I figure either way isn't working. I can only teach you the techniques, not how to use them, remember? From this point on, you decide which path you're gunning for."

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-05, 05:21 PM
"Kid, I want the baby, not the labor pains. But since you put this so colourfully, let me dot some i's for you.

First of all, if you're training with us, you're in the op. Doesn't matter which capacity, we're going to need all the hands we can get - that's why Setsurou-san snagged you from Recon.

Second, if you're hoping to go anywhere being a teacher's pet, being a rookie is the least of your problems. You're not gonna beat Tsuchigumo with an attitude geared towards anyone but yourself. In fact, you're not going to beat anyone that's not weaker than you.

And third, you're still overthinking it and not really doing anything. I don't particularly mind if you decide to try against Tsuchigumo everyday, or if you decide to train your ass off and then try again. But that's not up to me to decide unless I figure either way isn't working. I can only teach you the techniques, not how to use them, remember? From this point on, you decide which path you're gunning for."
Satoshi blinks a few times, fighting to supress his frustration; he can't help but wonder if Urameshi enjoys treating him like a clueless weakling. "Then I guess I'm going back to practicing again," he responds through gritted teeth. As long as there's nothing else to be said, he'll set about with his training again.

Things start off relatively the same as in the past two weeks: Satoshi practices the techniques he's been taught, then gets his sorry butt handed to him in sparring. The major difference now is that he's been working at it every day for a while now without making any measurable progress, and that fact bears down on him with every passing minute. The lack of headway fills him with disappointment and anger, emotions that fester in the back of his head like a disease...

Kuroimaken
2014-02-06, 08:13 AM
After about four days of this, Urameshi calls Satoshi after his training session is over.

"Starting tomorrow, you're on three days' worth of paid leave. Go home, see your folks. The fresh air will do you good. I better not catch you sneaking at night to train, either."

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-06, 08:54 AM
After about four days of this, Urameshi calls Satoshi after his training session is over.

"Starting tomorrow, you're on three days' worth of paid leave. Go home, see your folks. The fresh air will do you good. I better not catch you sneaking at night to train, either."
By this point, Satoshi isn't even trying to hide his anxiety anymore; it's been pretty obvious anyway, given the tension surrounding him even while not under Urameshi's supervision at the training facility. One might expect some level of resistance, given his frustration, but by this time, he knows better than to call Urameshi's authority into question.

"It's not going to matter if I want to refuse, is it," he asks rhetorically. If there's nothing else to the exchange, he'll just let out a sigh and respond, "Then I guess I'll see you on the fourth day, sensei," and get on his way to the barracks. Along the way, it'll dawn on him that the decision seems somewhat uncharacteristic of Urameshi, and he'll wonder what motivated him to send the rookie away...

((I'm guessing you've got a plan for something to happen during those three days, so I'll let you decide when to advance time and to what point.))

Kuroimaken
2014-02-06, 09:36 AM
What gave me away? :smallbiggrin:

The farmlands Satoshi returns to seem mostly unchanged from how he remembers them, even though it's been quite some time since he left for the Academy. There are more children than he remembers, some of which he recognizes. And they certainly recognize him!

"It's Satoshi nii-chan! He came back!"

A gaggle of kids practically pounce on Satoshi.

Mina Kobold
2014-02-06, 09:55 AM
Tamaki thinks over the options before he picks the one that interests him the most. "Very well then. I would love to see the Grand Library. It should proves very enlightening and educational.

Rin nods in agreement, sighing as she speaks.

"I have no idea what Hollows, Arrancar or most anything else on this side are, so a library sounds like a plan to me. Just as long as we don't have to be that fast"

Rin gestures slightly in the direction that Mikael had followed his own Arrancar guide, clearly referring to their extreme speeds. Matter-of-factly, the security guard adds:

"Pretty sure I can't break the speed limit on foot."

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-06, 11:49 AM
[RUKONGAI, DISTRICT 63: HAIDANI]

What gave me away? :smallbiggrin:

The farmlands Satoshi returns to seem mostly unchanged from how he remembers them, even though it's been quite some time since he left for the Academy. There are more children than he remembers, some of which he recognizes. And they certainly recognize him!

"It's Satoshi nii-chan! He came back!"

A gaggle of kids practically pounce on Satoshi.
Satoshi shows up at the farming community of Haidani early on in the day, dressed in casual attire and carrying a duffel bag over his shoulder. The sight of his hometown bathes him in nostalgia, and his heart lifts ever so slightly at seeing so much life and activity in its inhabitants. Some of the children nearby notice his approach and recognize him, and they race toward him to welcome him home. The rookie Shinigami can't help but laugh as they clamor around him.

"Whoa, hey, take it easy, guys," he exclaims while fighting to maintain his balance. He ruffles the dark-brown hair on one of the older boys and says, "Man, look at you all growing up...I can't believe it's been six years already. You all been holding the fort down while I've been gone?"

Kuroimaken
2014-02-06, 12:32 PM
"Yep! Been helping our mommies and daddies too!" One of the youngest, a little girl called Shizuru, chimes in.

"Satoshi-niichan! We heard you became a Shinigami! Is that true? Isitisitisit?!" A boy called Jirou asks excitedly.

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-06, 04:41 PM
"Yep! Been helping our mommies and daddies too!" One of the youngest, a little girl called Shizuru, chimes in.

"Satoshi-niichan! We heard you became a Shinigami! Is that true? Isitisitisit?!" A boy called Jirou asks excitedly.
"Good girl," Satoshi tells Shizuru, smiling warmly at her. "That's good to hear. They must be proud to have you helping them out."

Ah, of course, the burning topic: his acceptance. "That's right," he responds. "I'm a bonafide Shinigami now; have been for about three weeks now. It wasn't easy, but I managed it somehow..."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-06, 05:34 PM
"Can we see your sword?!" The children ask all at once.

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-07, 08:59 AM

"Can we see your sword?!" The children ask all at once.
Satoshi hesitates to respond at first; it seems difficult to appease them without giving them any wild ideas about the equipment he uses, but he doesn't want to lie to them or belittle them either. For a moment, he wishes that he had chosen to leave the blade at the barracks. After taking a moment to choose the right words, he tells them, "I don't think that's a good idea. A sword can be dangerous if you're not careful with it, and I don't want any of you to get hurt because of me...Maybe some other time, OK?"

((Decided to play the safe card for now.))

Kuroimaken
2014-02-07, 10:13 AM
Like a child's curiosity is that easy to dispel.

The choruses of 'pleasepleasepleaseplease' and 'we won't touch it, we promise' pelt his ears.

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-07, 11:26 AM
[Soul Society]
Commander-General's office

Li's lips twist into a smirk. "And you just read that with your helmet." Not a question, but a statement of fact. Nodding approvingly, the commander's hand retrieves a metal cane from under the table, and then the elder stands up. "Come. Let us visit the butterfly gardens."

It takes a quarter of an hour to get down the stairs, out of the door and to the other side of HQ premises. Housed in six great plexiglass domes, the place where Shinigami grow their messenger insects hardly looks like something belonging to a military organization. The greenhouses are filled to the brim with colourful flowers - and around and above them, thousands of black butterflies flutter in stark contrast.

"Ruggles went missing within days of the Arrancars' arrival", Li recounts. "We presumed she was killed. Yet, two days ago we received a distress message from her. It was weeks old, but still recent enough for us to tell that she's been alive and active far after the point she presumed dead." Resting right hand on the cane, Li lifts Li's left and one of the butterflies descends on it.

"Based on circumstantial evidence, it is highly likely she was ordered to carry out a covert mission by Yasunobu Sawada himself. I trust you to understand the significance." Li turns to Hideki. "This is the butterfly sent by Ruggles. It was badly injured, but I was able to fix it. One of the reasons we still use these little creatures is because their unparalleled scent. As this one was handled by Ruggles personally, it should still be able to find her if you can get it within a few miles of her. Its own trail has long since run cold, but fortunately, we have a two more clues of her location."

At this point, Hideki's visor should tell he has a message from Reconnaissance. It's from Junrin Arianna. "We've been backtracking younger Yasunobu's last steps in Soul Society and Earth both. Very interestingly, Junrin-fukutaichou told us she had seen younger Yasunobu on Earth, in a city called Ikari in Japan. Yet, at the same time, he was here, talking to me at the construction site of the new Tiger Temple." The file contains a map, compatible with the Divine Positioning System of a Reiphone... or, in Hideki's case, his helmet. It has markers for, and photographs of, the school where Sawada was last seen.

"While I can't guess which kind of trickery he was using to be at multiple places at once, based on Junrin-fukutaichou's testimony it appears younger Yasunobu was parleying with humans." Li's smile fades and the commander's gaze grows cold. "The third clue is, hence, the one you said aloud yourself. It is by no means certain, but it is very, very likely Sawada was hoping to groom these people for some purpose. Ruggles would've been a very good fit for that task."

"I want you to travel to Ikari as soon as possible and see if you can find a trace of her. Notify me the moment you do. You are not compelled to arrest or engage her - if resistance looks likely, feel free to alert Internal Security. Your role is primarily reconnaissance. However... if she attempts to approach you in friendly terms, I want you to learn as much of what she knows as you can, and transmit the information to Seireitei without delay." The butterfly leaves Li's hand and flutters towards Hideki's helmet. "As said, I believe you to be uniquely suited for it."

---

Hazuki Tsubame's holding cell

In thirty minutes, a short, dark-haired girl (?) arrives at Tsubame's location, carrying her notebook. The girl's (?) skin is very pale and with odd green tinge, and she is dressed in a white labcoat instead of Shihakusho. She places the book on the cell table and then takes a seat, sliding the book towards Tsubame. "As requested, here are your research notes. Do inform me when we can begin the questioning." The girl's (?) voice is deadpan, as is her face as she crosses her hands on the table and proceeds to stare at Tsubame unflinchingly.

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-07, 11:27 AM

Like a child's curiosity is that easy to dispel.

The choruses of 'pleasepleasepleaseplease' and 'we won't touch it, we promise' pelt his ears.
It was worth a shot. Satoshi shuts his eyes and grimaces slightly, but after a moment, he sets down his duffel bag, unzips the main compartment, and withdraws his rolled-up shihakusho. There's some slight hesitation as he unrolls it, laying the uniform on top of the bag, and withdraws his zanpakuto from its folds. "Don't forget," he cautions them, "you promised...Look, but don't touch."

((Would Satoshi have his own unique zanpakuto by now, or would he only have an Asauchi until he starts to develop his Shikai?))

Draken
2014-02-07, 12:32 PM
Soul Society
Jigokusho Greenhouse

Hideki lifts a finger for the butterfly, before muttering a simple kidő to make it vanish.

"I will make preparations for departure and head to the mortal world in the morning."

With Li's leave, Hideki returns to his office to get ready.

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-07, 01:50 PM
A devilish smile reappears on the commander's lips. "Wonderful. You are dismissed." With those words, the commander limps back to the office, to take care of all the paperwork needed for running Gotei.

Dorizzit
2014-02-07, 02:01 PM
[Soul Society]
Holding Cell

Upon receiving the notebook, Tsubame flips through it with impressive speed. The entire process takes only a few seconds, as she confirms that it has not been tampered with or altered.

"I am prepared."

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-07, 02:20 PM
[Soul Society]

"Perfect", the girl replies mechanically. "As I understood it, your research on 'purification arrows' is centered around a curious case of a Quincy attaining powers of a Shinigami." The girl blinks once. "According to past data, this mix should not be possible. But, based on your notes, my master has hypothesized this phenomenom to be a natural extension of a Quincy's ability to absorb external power and turn it into their own. If that is the case, the process of granting Quincies their 'purifying arrows' could be greatly accelerated if they were turned into substitutes en masse. Does this assessment seem credible to you?"

Kuroimaken
2014-02-07, 03:34 PM

It was worth a shot. Satoshi shuts his eyes and grimaces slightly, but after a moment, he sets down his duffel bag, unzips the main compartment, and withdraws his rolled-up shihakusho. There's some slight hesitation as he unrolls it, laying the uniform on top of the bag, and withdraws his zanpakuto from its folds. "Don't forget," he cautions them, "you promised...Look, but don't touch."

((Would Satoshi have his own unique zanpakuto by now, or would he only have an Asauchi until he starts to develop his Shikai?))

That depends exclusively on you. There's no specific reason for Satoshi not to have Shikai yet other than any you could come up with.
Luckily, the kids can't tell the difference to begin with.

The children's gasps of surprise and admiration make it all worth it to Satoshi. To have one of their own make it into the esteemed ranks of the Shinigami is reason for great pride among them.

"I can't believe you can kill monsters with that thing. You're amazing, Satoshi-nii!"

"Come on, kids, leave him alone a bit. He must be anxious to see his family!

Hey buddy, you've sure grown since the last time I saw you." One of the farmers, a thirty-something man named Tsuna, comes to greet the Shinigami rookie. "Pretty sure your mom is going to yell at you for being skin and bones, though."

Dorizzit
2014-02-07, 03:50 PM
[Soul Society]

"Simply put, no."

Tsubame's answer is straightforward and brutally honest. She flips to one page of her notes, which has a detailed entry on Hinata Akiyama.

"To be frank, the girl is a genius. Her natural affinity for spiritual energy and integration is well in excess of anything that could reasonable be hoped for in any other candidate. In her case, the combination of Shinigami and Quincy powers was virtually seamless. Based on my projections, however, and my limited knowledge of past cases, failure to fuse or even catastrophic rejection are entirely possible."

She pauses.

"I have, however, found what I believe may serve as a solution. The Quincy actually possess impressive spiritual forging capabilities and a strong knowledge of spiritual alchemy. With access to their existing notes, I was able to create a plan for a prototype Quincy Cross acting in a similar manner to a Shinigami Asauchi. Obviously, it lacks the purifying capacity of the Zanpakuto, but it does retain the ability to target the parts of the soul affected by Hollowfication. Instead of cleansing and reintegrating them, it obliterates all traces of the soul's time as a Hollow. While not a perfect fix, and despite being semi-traumatic for the soul in question, the process should have a 100% affinity rate for Quincies and does not rely on Shinigamification to function, instead working solely with their inherent powers. Additionally, while not as dramatic as most Shikai releases, this would create a similar degree of variation in Quincy bow shapes."

As she speaks, she points to a few diagrams and passages providing supporting evidence for her claims.

"More research is needed, but the theory is sound."

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-07, 03:53 PM
That depends exclusively on you. There's no specific reason for Satoshi not to have Shikai yet other than any you could come up with.
Luckily, the kids can't tell the difference to begin with.

The children's gasps of surprise and admiration make it all worth it to Satoshi. To have one of their own make it into the esteemed ranks of the Shinigami is reason for great pride among them.

"I can't believe you can kill monsters with that thing. You're amazing, Satoshi-nii!"

"Come on, kids, leave him alone a bit. He must be anxious to see his family!

Hey buddy, you've sure grown since the last time I saw you." One of the farmers, a thirty-something man named Tsuna, comes to greet the Shinigami rookie. "Pretty sure your mom is going to yell at you for being skin and bones, though."
((Asauchi it is, then. Given everything that's been holding him back, it'd make sense that the spirit of his zanpakuto doesn't owe him any favors yet, let alone its own power and form.))

The drawing of the simple sword is a meager offering to the small throng of juveniles crowding around for a view, but they seem mesmerized by it. Satoshi thinks to himself, (It's not even a unique zanpakuto, just an Asauchi...Is this really so amazing...?) Before his vexation can show, another acquaintance of his shows up to welcome him back. "Good to see you doing well, Tsuna-kun," he says. At the comment about his build, he looks down at himself and asks, "It's not that bad, is it...? I mean, I've never been a big eater, but it's not like I've been starving myself either..."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-07, 03:59 PM
"I see you've been getting cheeky too, boy! Calling an elder of yours -kun?" He ruffles through Satoshi's hair in good-natured ribbing.

"Your dad's probably out in the fields at this hour, but your mother should be home. You should hurry! I'm sure she'll love the surprise."

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-07, 04:23 PM
[RUKONGAI, DISTRICT 63: HAIDANI -> TAKAKURA RESIDENCE]

"I see you've been getting cheeky too, boy! Calling an elder of yours -kun?" He ruffles through Satoshi's hair in good-natured ribbing.

"Your dad's probably out in the fields at this hour, but your mother should be home. You should hurry! I'm sure she'll love the surprise."
((Dangit, I'm not paying close enough attention; I should've caught that.))

Satoshi flinches at Tsuna's reaction to his slip-of-the-tongue, but he recovers once the man plays it off. "Sorry, heh," he replies shakily. "Things have been kind of crazy. Hard to keep my head on straight sometimes..." After being reminded of his parents' locations at the current time of day, the novice sheathes and packs away his weapon again before hefting his duffel and turning toward home. "Thanks for stopping by, Tsuna-san. I'll see you around."

After bidding farewell to the neighborhood kids as well, Satoshi wanders around for a bit, deliberately avoiding his former residence. Something about the idea of coming home under these circumstances, especially in his current frame of mind, seems wrong somehow. It takes him about half an hour to swallow his pride, but he eventually goes back to his home, no different than any other low-maintenance flat in the lower Rukongai districts, and knocks at the door before sliding it open.

"Mom," he calls inside, his voice ever-so-slightly shaky at first. "Mom, are you here? It's me, Satoshi..."

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-07, 04:30 PM
[Soul Society]
Tsubame's holding cell

"Complications are to be expected in the first phase of human testing", the girl replies without slightest hint of concern when Tsubame pauses. When she continues and details her alternative method, the girl blinks. "So what you suggest is surgically cutting away miseries causing the soul to Hollowfy." The girl blinks again. "Cross-referencing earlier research. Please stand by." She closes her eyes, and appears to be lost in thought for a fair while. Then, she continues: "When a Hollow's mask is broken, it may temporarily cause it to recover human feelings and personality. If this state becomes permanent, the Hollow is turned into an Arrancar. Unlike a base Hollow, an Arrancar possesses Saketsu and Hakusui. Surgically removing or injuring these two points is theorized to reduce an Arrancar to a state much like a powerless Plus."

The girl opens her eyes again. "I detect a great deal of similarity between these two processes. Based on accumulated data, your plan has better than even chance of working. But, I detect a flaw also. Based on prior example cases, an Arrancar who has lost power will retain all traumatic memories from their time as one. Do you think a soul in such unstable condition will be able to move on and be reborn like usual?"

Kuroimaken
2014-02-07, 05:52 PM
[RUKONGAI, DISTRICT 63: HAIDANI -> TAKAKURA RESIDENCE]

((Dangit, I'm not paying close enough attention; I should've caught that.))

Satoshi flinches at Tsuna's reaction to his slip-of-the-tongue, but he recovers once the man plays it off. "Sorry, heh," he replies shakily. "Things have been kind of crazy. Hard to keep my head on straight sometimes..." After being reminded of his parents' locations at the current time of day, the novice sheathes and packs away his weapon again before hefting his duffel and turning toward home. "Thanks for stopping by, Tsuna-san. I'll see you around."

After bidding farewell to the neighborhood kids as well, Satoshi wanders around for a bit, deliberately avoiding his former residence. Something about the idea of coming home under these circumstances, especially in his current frame of mind, seems wrong somehow. It takes him about half an hour to swallow his pride, but he eventually goes back to his home, no different than any other low-maintenance flat in the lower Rukongai districts, and knocks at the door before sliding it open.

"Mom," he calls inside, his voice ever-so-slightly shaky at first. "Mom, are you here? It's me, Satoshi..."

No worries, there's a reason that form isn't used often.

"Satoshi?!" A confused voice comes out from the back of the house. And then Satoshi's mother peeks out around the corner, and her eyes grow wet with tears.

"SATOSHI!!" The woman runs practically full-tilt into her son to embrace him. She sobs as if not believing her eyes, squeezing him tight as if to make sure he's real.

Dorizzit
2014-02-07, 06:41 PM
[Soul Society]
Tsubame's holding cell

Tsubame shakes her head.

"While I can acknowledge the similarities you describe, the actual results would be different. I don't actually know what the effects of the arrows on Arrancar would be, due to physiological differences."

She flips to a blank part of the notebook, and begins creating simple but clear illustrations as she speaks.

"This is a basic Hollow after being shot by a Quincy Arrow. The arrows destabilize the Hollow's body, and being killed by them creates a chain reaction that causes the soul's structure to completely collapse. This is similar to a disintegration effect, leaving behind nothing at all that can be easily worked with."

She draws another picture.

"Hollows, at their core, are essentially highly-corrupted humans. Even a fully Hollowfied soul, however, still has human elements, simply corrupted in a manner not unlike a swollen gland. The 'Purification Arrow' selectively destroys these corrupted elements without harming salvageable aspects of the soul. If you are familiar with ancient medical practices, a rough analogy is placing maggots on an infected wound to consume the dead flesh."

One more illustration.

"This is the result. A pure human soul. It would be functionally identical to the soul at the moment of its initial transformation, albeit reduced in spiritual power and likely missing a number of memories. According to my projections, the memories most likely to be destroyed are the most traumatic ones. Even if they aren't, however, the soul will lose much of its negative emotional connection to said memories, ensuring that it can move on. The individual process will be different for each individual, but the results should be predictable, stable, and desirable."

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-07, 06:57 PM
"Your projections make Quincy arrows sound like the Sokyoku halberd. By degree of Central 46, that method of execution is only allowed to be used on Shinigami who are guilty of high treason or murder. What are the projected chances of an attempt to create these 'purifying arrows' accidentally causing disintegration of a soul? Could a Quincy go back to using their old method after being taught this one?"

5a Violista
2014-02-07, 10:31 PM
Caeyrn will realize that while he's not kept from relatively less important areas, he's not allowed too far out of the vicinity of the Black Dragon Inn. Noticeably, there's a nearby restaurant, a tailor, and a pottery shop he can visit.

All in all, he has SOME free reign. But not much.

At least the restaurant looks like it has some pretty waitresses...

Seireitei
[Vicinity of the Black Dragon Inn]

Well, shoot. The Actor-slash-Quincy wishes he could just sneak around or disguise himself or something. It would be much more amusing outside this confined ring.

However, that does not mean the restaurant isn't an attractive option. Maybe, if it's interesting enough, he'll stay within the fence.

So, Caeyrn walks into the restaurant.

[In Search of Naijeru]

Miss Suou looks for Naijeru. She knows some of the plans the Combat Division has, but is curious about the details. When are they going? What else do they have to do before they can go? Is everything all planned out yet? And so on; other similar questions.

Dorizzit
2014-02-07, 10:43 PM
"The differences are existent, but academic. At first, I project a 1.37% chance of soul collapse, with that value falling as the technology is fine-tuned and techniques are perfected. A Quincy would need to use an alternative focus to their Seichten Streik - the name I have given to the hypothetical pseudo-Asauchi - in order to begin using destruction arrows again."

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-07, 11:02 PM
[Soul Society]
Black Dragon Gate inn

By time Caeyrn gets back, Hoshi has already finished eating and is off to take a nap. What a bore. It looks like the only worthwhile things left to do (besides eating) would be to pester the inn staff, or perhaps the other residents.

---

Tsubame's holding cell

"But isn't it safe to assume for every existing Quincy to have such alternate focus at hand? In order for your plan to reach accepted parameters, we would need to consfiscate all such devices in existence and eradicate all knowledge on how to make them." It might be more pleasant to answer such questions if the girl's (?) voice had even a hint of genuine curiosity in it, rather than sounding like a pre-recorded message.

Draken
2014-02-07, 11:39 PM
Soul Society
SEC-ED Offices

Hideki returns to his office and drops back on his chair, tapping his fingers together.

"Yolanda, inform Las Noches that I will be making a trip to the Mortal World for internal matters to the town of Ikari in Japan, I hold that your standing agent in the area could have good information for me and it would be good to not surprise him or her."

"Helms. I need you to put all my personal appointments on delay, the rest I will leave in your capable hands."

"Your family, sir?"

"I've just messaged Grandfather, do not concern yourself on this front."

Hideki turns to his computer and pulls out the surveillance data from Recon pertaining to Ikari in the last two months. He will be at this for the day and night, most certainly.

Dorizzit
2014-02-07, 11:56 PM
[Soul Society]
Tsubame's holding cell

"If we intend to treat them as a hostile entity, then after we defeat them in a war that would be the most logical course of action, yes."

Sarcasm drips from Tsubame's voice.

"There is no method in existence to completely erase a Quincy's ability to destroy souls without also obliterating their spiritual powers. Using a Seichten Streik would amplify the Quincy's natural powers without any cost to themselves. The only reason to continue to use the old way would be out of spite for the Shinigami or sense of tradition, which I would hope is insufficient cause for starting a war. In short, it will not be a problem with any faction of the Quincy willing to work peacefully with us."

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-08, 12:18 AM
The girl doesn't respond. She opens her mouth, then closes it, blinking a few times. When she opens her mouth to try and speak again, the door creaks, and another person steps in.

"Spite and tradition", Zheng Li Lin remarks, stepping in and leaning on a metal cane."Just a month ago, we had two interesting visitors here. I offered to let them in our city, if they'd just follow our laws. Now, they've all but declared war against us." The commander limps closer, looking very tired. "Their reasons, if you can call them such, are many, but if I had to sum them in three words, 'spite and tradition' would definitely fit." The short elder might be familiar to Tsubame, but something clearly has changed. Last time she might have seen Li, Li didn't have Commander-General's insiginia on Li's Haori.

"Whether we want to consider these Quincies peaceful or hostile is irrelevant. If their own words are to be trusted, they have already made that choice for us. The best we can hope at this point is that after their civil war is over, the survivors have enough sense to surrender their weapons to us willingly." The commander sighs, and the old shoulders droop. "I'm not telling you to abandon your work. But I do want you to realize we are stretched thin as it is. We need all materials for Asauchi for training new Shinigami. If the situation with the Arrancars continues stable to the end of the year, and if we manage to apprehend a few cultists running about, then we can perhaps spare resources to tackling their issues. But as it stands... well. I hope they get this solved themselves, so that we won't have to.""

Dorizzit
2014-02-08, 01:29 AM
[Soul Society]
Tsubame's Holding Cell

As Zheng Li Lin enters the room, Tsubame's eyes widen as the only indicator of her extreme shock. Sliding from the bed on which she had been sitting, she kneels to the floor and bows deeply.

"Captain-Commander, please forgive my insubordination. I did not realize who I was speaking to."

Well, technically she was speaking to the Mod-Soul, but let's be honest here. Once it is her turn to speak, she raises her head and pushes herself back up into more upright kneel. There is a muted determination in her eyes, a desire suppressed, but only poorly.

"In that case, please, delay my sentencing, and let me continue my work with the Akiyama family. I'm on the cusp of creating a working Seichten Streik. This could be a diplomatic breakthrough with the Quincies willing to work with us, and it could give them a critical edge in the war with their hostile families. I don't need the resources or oversight of the Seireitei. I will follow any requirements placed upon me, so..."

She trails off and bows her head.

"I apologize for my outburst. I will submit to your will on this matter."

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-08, 02:45 AM
Zheng Li Lin blinks in bemusement. "I just got here. You were talking to my research assistant." Said assistant is looking at the commander with a blank face. Or maybe not completely blank. Squint hard enough, and she kinda looks like a puppy dog waiting for a command from her master. "Though your witty remarks probably got poor Orchid confused. It was not programmed for sarcasm."

"I'm not very optimistic concerning any diplomatic breakthroughs, but you'll be allowed to continue your work here. Maybe our guests can take a working prototype with them when they leave. It depends on how quickly you can make one." Li glances at the notebook. "Besides, you've been out of the loop for four years. What else would you be good for, hmmm?" A half-smirk forms on the elderly face. "Even if your invention will not help the Quincies, it may help in solving an entirely different problem. Tell me, did my subordinate fill you in regarding Las Noches?"

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-09, 04:47 PM
[RUKONGAI DIST. 63, HAIDANI: TAKAKURA RESIDENCE]

No worries, there's a reason that form isn't used often.

"Satoshi?!" A confused voice comes out from the back of the house. And then Satoshi's mother peeks out around the corner, and her eyes grow wet with tears.

"SATOSHI!!" The woman runs practically full-tilt into her son to embrace him. She sobs as if not believing her eyes, squeezing him tight as if to make sure he's real.
At the first sign of his mother's presence, Satoshi seems genuinely afraid, as if unsure how to react to her. The only response he can comprehensibly generate is a simple one. "Uh...H-hi Mom," he says sheepishly. "I'm...I'm back." Her outburst throws him off-guard, and he nearly gets bowled over as she rushes to him and hugs him close. "Geez, Mom, I'm not back from the dead or anything," he jokes, although his own voice is also a bit shaky at seeing her for the first time in six years. After recovering from the initial shock, he returns her embrace and tells her, "It's good to be home again...I've missed you all...really, a whole lot."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-09, 05:14 PM
"You could have WRITTEN!" She half-jests, half-bellows at him in anger. "And look at you - skin and bones! I thought Shinigami had to EAT! Ugh, I'm cooking you dinner." She drags her son further into the house and makes him sit in the kitchen...

Dorizzit
2014-02-09, 06:59 PM
Tsubame looks briefly confused at Li's assertion that Li had just arrived.

"Wait, did they never adopt...? Never mind. Obviously not."

She lets the elder speak before opening her mouth again.

"I will be able to produce a prototype within 24 hours, if necessary. I was only informed that we are currently in a state of truce with the Arrancar."

Draken
2014-02-09, 10:40 PM
(Seireitei)
(Commander-General's Office)

An old picture of Izanagi and Izanami parts in the middle, revealing a cased button and a lively alarm flashing with an alternating green and red light, accompanied by a klaxon that is unlikely to be heard much far beyond the door of the office.

What could that be.

Well, Li will probably know what to do once Li's back.

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-10, 08:17 AM
Tsubame's holding cell

"A truce is, hopefully, putting it mildly", the elder replies. "Let me put it this way: men and women, armed with soul-cutting weapons, cross the boundary between worlds to chase down Hollows and break their masks so that they can be returned to their human form and personality. Who am I describing?"

---

Meanwhile, in the Commander-General's office

While the klaxon is unlikely to be heard much past the large hall's door, immediately behind said door is the Vice-Commander's office. Zheng Li Lin is absent, but what about Ishinomori Koutarou?

Kuroimaken
2014-02-10, 08:29 AM
"What on earth is that ruckus?!" comments the Vice-Commander as he hears the sound coming from the Commander-General's room.

Knowing that his superior is engaged elsewhere, Koutarou has no qualms about entering Li's office. While he doesn't necessarily associate the gravity of the situation with this seemingly simple alarm, he does feel compelled to contact the SSI for advice on a system he knew nothing about as he examines the panel.

Draken
2014-02-10, 08:48 AM

Who trusts the SSI with anything these days?

The only symbol by the alarm is a peculiar variant of the biohazard sign.

... Almost reminds one of the hideous mutated green eyes of the gillians that took the cultists away.

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-10, 09:17 AM
[RUKONGAI, TAKAKURA RESIDENCE]

"You could have WRITTEN!" She half-jests, half-bellows at him in anger. "And look at you - skin and bones! I thought Shinigami had to EAT! Ugh, I'm cooking you dinner." She drags her son further into the house and makes him sit in the kitchen...
Satoshi would argue that one requires a postal address to receive mail, but then again, he could've also visited during the breaks between semesters. For the first time since starting his education, he regrets staying on-site to continue his studies instead of returning home. He has another argument about his lithe build, but he sets it aside at the mention of dinner. "Wait a second," he says while being led into the other room. "Mom, you've been stockpiling food...? I told you before, you don't need to do that just for my sake. If you and Pops don't need it, then save your money for important stuff, like making sure the house stays standing or taking care of the neighborhood kids." It's not that he isn't grateful, but Satoshi would rather have his folks worry about themselves before their absentee son.

Unless the uncomfortable silence is prevented by rebuttle of some kind from his parent, he'll eventually ask, "So...how's Pops doing...? I saw Tsuna-san earlier; he said he was hard at work out in the fields..."

Spacewolf
2014-02-10, 09:25 AM
Vern sets his coffee aside as the phone in his office begins to ring, pausing for a quick glance at the caller ID before picking up.

"This is Senior Researcher Vern, how can I be of assisstance?"

Kuroimaken
2014-02-10, 10:30 AM

Who trusts the SSI with anything these days?

The only symbol by the alarm is a peculiar variant of the biohazard sign.

... Almost reminds one of the hideous mutated green eyes of the gillians that took the cultists away.

Uh-oh.

Li's Reiphone is about to ring.

"Commander? We have an emergency."

[A minute or so earlier]

"Vern-san, this is Vice-Commander Ishinomori. There's an alarm blaring in the Commander-General's office that we have no specified protocols for. I need you to find the source of this alarm and tell me exactly what it is linked to. I will be contacting the Commander-General now. Koutarou out."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-10, 10:43 AM

Satoshi would argue that one requires a postal address to receive mail, but then again, he could've also visited during the breaks between semesters. For the first time since starting his education, he regrets staying on-site to continue his studies instead of returning home. He has another argument about his lithe build, but he sets it aside at the mention of dinner. "Wait a second," he says while being led into the other room. "Mom, you've been stockpiling food...? I told you before, you don't need to do that just for my sake. If you and Pops don't need it, then save your money for important stuff, like making sure the house stays standing or taking care of the neighborhood kids." It's not that he isn't grateful, but Satoshi would rather have his folks worry about themselves before their absentee son.

Unless the uncomfortable silence is prevented by rebuttle of some kind from his parent, he'll eventually ask, "So...how's Pops doing...? I saw Tsuna-san earlier; he said he was hard at work out in the fields..."

"Oh don't be silly, son. The Shinigami don't mind if we keep some food stocked away in case some of the kids feel hungry or we feel the urge to try our culinary skills. It's not wartime. We don't pay them for that extra supply of food because really, what would we pay them with?"

Satoshi's next question earns a chuckle from his mother. "Your father's fine, dear! You know him, never could stand still. Healthy as a horse as always! He's missed you terribly, as have I."

Spacewolf
2014-02-10, 11:43 AM
Without much to go on Vern brings up the SSI mainframe and starts checking through the active programs going to HQ looking for anything unusual even if it was just something drawing extra power.

Harada also gets a message informing him of the current situation, he had more experience working with the mainframe after all.

Draken
2014-02-10, 11:47 AM
Vern will find absolutely nothing.

Whatever this is, it is operating on a system closed off to the rest of the Seireitei's.

KnightDisciple
2014-02-10, 11:58 AM
Without much to go on Vern brings up the SSI mainframe and starts checking through the active programs going to HQ looking for anything unusual even if it was just something drawing extra power.

Harada also gets a message informing him of the current situation, he had more experience working with the mainframe after all.

It takes a bit over a minute before Harada opens up a comm window with Vern, appearing on one of his screens. The computer researcher looks a bit tired and stretched thin, but still coherent and focused. Currently, he has a worried frown on his face.

"Castus-san, I've got nothing. Zip. Zero. Nada. Whatever this alarm is, it has absolutely no connection to our wider systems. I didn't find a single back door, a single sniff, a single errant wi-fi connection, assuming when constructed they even had an idea like that. Heck, if it's running 100% on spells I can't even really get a glimpse at those; it's thoroughly shielded in addition to being closed off from everything else."

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-10, 11:59 AM

"Oh don't be silly, son. The Shinigami don't mind if we keep some food stocked away in case some of the kids feel hungry or we feel the urge to try our culinary skills. It's not wartime. We don't pay them for that extra supply of food because really, what would we pay them with?"

Satoshi's next question earns a chuckle from his mother. "Your father's fine, dear! You know him, never could stand still. Healthy as a horse as always! He's missed you terribly, as have I."
"Well, yeah, but..." Satoshi's voice trails off just before he admits defeat; he hadn't thought of all that when he'd begun to debate his mother's decision. Once they get to talking about his father, he responds, "Well, that's good...I'll wait until he comes home; I don't want to bother him while he's working."

((Sorry that this one is so short; couldn't think of anything else to add. If you need more to work with, please let me know what you've got in mind.))

Kuroimaken
2014-02-10, 12:11 PM
"Always the worrywart, son. You just sit tight while your mom cooks you some oden, alright?" It was really hard to argue with such a single-minded determination.

"How long will you be staying with us?"

Spacewolf
2014-02-10, 12:26 PM
It takes a bit over a minute before Harada opens up a comm window with Vern, appearing on one of his screens. The computer researcher looks a bit tired and stretched thin, but still coherent and focused. Currently, he has a worried frown on his face.

"Castus-san, I've got nothing. Zip. Zero. Nada. Whatever this alarm is, it has absolutely no connection to our wider systems. I didn't find a single back door, a single sniff, a single errant wi-fi connection, assuming when constructed they even had an idea like that. Heck, if it's running 100% on spells I can't even really get a glimpse at those; it's thoroughly shielded in addition to being closed off from everything else."

"Hmm. Well we could go over there and pull the alarm apart until we find something that tells us the source. Although that seems like it could backfire pretty easily.

Or I suppose we could try Sawadas private library maybe that would have a mention of what's causing the racket, might take a while to search through everything though. Unfortunately apart from those two it doesn't seem like we have enough information to do much else to be honest, don't suppose you have any better ideas?"

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-10, 12:40 PM

"Always the worrywart, son. You just sit tight while your mom cooks you some oden, alright?" It was really hard to argue with such a single-minded determination.

"How long will you be staying with us?"
Satoshi has nearly forgotten about his "sentence" until his mother brings it up, and shame wracks his expression. "I'm on leave for three days," he answers. "I guess it'll be nice to have a few days away from my training, but it makes me kind of anxious...I feel like I'm wasting time like this..."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-10, 12:58 PM
Satoshi is promptly whacked upside the head with a wooden spoon.

"I taught you better than that, young man. A soldier's duty very well and truly includes rest! You'll do nobody any good by rushing to an early grave!"

She looks pretty pissed.

Of course, her son just said that hanging out with his folks is a "waste of time"...

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-10, 01:18 PM

Satoshi is promptly whacked upside the head with a wooden spoon.

"I taught you better than that, young man. A soldier's duty very well and truly includes rest! You'll do nobody any good by rushing to an early grave!"

She looks pretty pissed.

Of course, her son just said that hanging out with his folks is a "waste of time"...
*THWACK!* ((That was hilarious. Well-played, sir.))

Satoshi recoils as a cooking implement strikes him soundly on the noggin; it's not going to leave any marks, but the psychological damage is significant. "G'ow...! Cripes, Mom," he sputters in protest. "Yeah, I get that, but there's a lot going on right now, and whether I deserve the rest or not, none of that stuff is going to just wait for me...Besides, if I'm going to come home and visit, I'd rather do it on my own terms..."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-10, 01:35 PM
*THWACK!*

Satoshi, learn when to shut it.

"If they needed you to keep training, then they'd have you keep training, Satoshi. Honestly, when did you become so self-centered?"

She's off to dice the vegetables, so maybe Satoshi should be more mindful of his words from this point on...

"What is it you're so worried about anyway? What are you in such a hurry for?"

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-10, 02:20 PM

*THWACK!*

Satoshi, learn when to shut it.

"If they needed you to keep training, then they'd have you keep training, Satoshi. Honestly, when did you become so self-centered?"

She's off to dice the vegetables, so maybe Satoshi should be more mindful of his words from this point on...

"What is it you're so worried about anyway? What are you in such a hurry for?"
The second attack is just as unexpected and just as much a blow to his ego. At least this time, her words also knock some sense into him. He tries to iterate a response, but he can't find the right way to put his thoughts into a comprehensible sentence...until her last question, which is abundantly simple to answer at this point.

"I...I don't want to be a failure."

There's a slight pause before he adds, "I've been doing nothing but struggling and failing since I graduated from the training institute...At the rate I'm going, I'll just be proving everything that people said about me: that I can't hack it as a Shinigami, that everything I've given up to get this far has been totally pointless, and that I'm doomed to be just another face in the crowd..."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-10, 05:32 PM
His mother momentarily stops cutting those vegetables before giving him a stern look.

"So this is about what other people think of you?

You perk up those years and listen good: I didn't raise you a quitter, Satoshi."

That kinda came out wrong.

"There's no such thing as a man who hasn't experienced defeat. The difference between those who succeed and those who don't isn't talent, it's the ability to never give up. Any of those Shinigami in there who are above you, they've been forced to bend their knees at some point. They were too busy picking themselves back up to get sullen and depressed."

She continues to speak as she goes back to cutting those veggies.

"Of course, there are some who are meant to touch the stars and those who are earthbound. But both are equally important. You don't NEED to become a bigshot Shinigami to impress me, Satoshi. As long as you try hard, and never stop moving forward, I'll be proud of you whether you're the leader of Gotei or a farmer like your father."

strawberryman
2014-02-10, 07:51 PM
[Las Noches]

'Avis Durante' had been busy. Integrating into the society of Las Noches easily, she keeps her head down and follows orders. As far as anyone can tell, she is simply a weaker arrancar with an enthusiasm to join the cities' military.

However. Amongst the more complacent sectors, there is a new movement. It is not one of rebellion. But hollows and arrancar alike have taken to gathering in small groups and speaking of whispers of a Forgotten King, the True king of Hueco Mundo. They speak of a tickling in their ears, and a voice they can barely comprehend in their conscious mind, yet speaks of grand and wondrous things in their dreams.

The movement is small yet. But who knows. It could grow.

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-11, 10:42 AM

His mother momentarily stops cutting those vegetables before giving him a stern look.

"So this is about what other people think of you?

You perk up those years and listen good: I didn't raise you a quitter, Satoshi."

That kinda came out wrong.

"There's no such thing as a man who hasn't experienced defeat. The difference between those who succeed and those who don't isn't talent, it's the ability to never give up. Any of those Shinigami in there who are above you, they've been forced to bend their knees at some point. They were too busy picking themselves back up to get sullen and depressed."

She continues to speak as she goes back to cutting those veggies.

"Of course, there are some who are meant to touch the stars and those who are earthbound. But both are equally important. You don't NEED to become a bigshot Shinigami to impress me, Satoshi. As long as you try hard, and never stop moving forward, I'll be proud of you whether you're the leader of Gotei or a farmer like your father."
Satoshi has something quite passionate to say about being called a quitter - he's starting to have doubts but certainly isn't giving up - but he holds his tongue, both out of respect for his parent and to listen to her follow-up, which follows shortly. Her elaboration calms him to a degree, but what really sobers him is her recognition of what he has managed to accomplish so far; even when all those kids were singing his praises earlier, it hadn't occurred to him that his becoming a Shinigami was in itself any sort of great triumph. (So Urameshi wasn't just being a jerk after all,) he thinks. (That's pretty much exactly what he was saying...although he did put his own unique spin on it. But what point is there for a soldier with no real power...?)

((How much further did you want to play this out? I've got one quick scene in mind for Satoshi, probably on the second or third night, but other than that, I'll continue to follow your lead.))

Kuroimaken
2014-02-11, 10:49 AM
"You obviously have too much on your mind, Satoshi. Remember some of the easier, simpler things. Each soldier out there with you is trying his hardest. That's really all we can ask, isn't it?"

At this point, she's really started cooking. And something smells good.

I think one last pose with Satoshi savoring her food is as good a close to this scene as any. What have you got in mind?

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-11, 11:50 AM

"You obviously have too much on your mind, Satoshi. Remember some of the easier, simpler things. Each soldier out there with you is trying his hardest. That's really all we can ask, isn't it?"

At this point, she's really started cooking. And something smells good.

I think one last pose with Satoshi savoring her food is as good a close to this scene as any. What have you got in mind?
((Once he's had some time to germinate on this stuff, I figure it'd be time to introduce the spirit of his zanpakuto via a short dream sequence. I don't think I'll have it amount to any significant development, since it's so early on, but it'll at least serve to show that she's starting to notice his potential.))

"Yeah, you're right," the novice Shinigami admits. "I just need to put things in perspective, I guess..." Once his mother starts cooking, he leaves her to her work, glad to have ended that conversation on a lighter note than when it started. Her cuisine turns out incredible, reminiscent of the kinds of things she'd make for all the kids in town on the evening of the New Year; even if they didn't need the food for sustenance, the taste was always divine...

Kuroimaken
2014-02-11, 02:14 PM
That's a mother's cooking for you. It helps that she sees how hard her boy's trying, doesn't it?

Draken
2014-02-12, 02:21 PM
Soul Society
Office of the Commander General

While Koutarou talks to the SSI, the alarm stops flashing red.

It is still going on. But now the flashing light is exclusively green.

The glass-covered button remains untouched.

Kuroimaken
2014-02-12, 02:49 PM
It can't be good either way.

Koutarou briefly wonders what the purpose of said button might be. The biohazard signal is a dead giveaway for "something to keep locked up".

Since it isn't blaring anymore, he assumes the green light is the default state for whatever happened.

So, while he waits for the Commander-General to pick up the friggin' phone, he stares at this incomplete puzzle.

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-12, 03:16 PM
[Dawn of the Second Day]
[~~48 Hours Remain~~]

The rest of the day passes without incident, and Satoshi is glad to wake up the next morning without feeling beaten or bruised for the first time in weeks. Strangely enough, he never did end up greeting his father the night before, but he shrugs it off as a coincidence. He'll look for his mother after dressing himself, but he won't expect breakfast any more than he did supper the night before.

Kuroimaken
2014-02-12, 03:21 PM
Instead, he meets his father at the dining table. He looks happy to see his son, but doesn't get up, certain his boy will come to greet him.

Mmmmmmm. Coffee.

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-12, 07:17 PM

Satoshi seems confused at first, not sure how exactly to break the ice under these circumstances. He eventually approaches the table and says, "Uh... Hey Pops... Been ages, huh...?" This is especially awkward for the younger of the two parties, considering how he hasn't even seen his father yet despite planning for it the night before.

Kuroimaken
2014-02-12, 07:40 PM
"What on earth is wrong with you? Come give your old man a hug, Satoshi. Come on!" He spreads his arms invitingly.

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-14, 10:15 AM

"What on earth is wrong with you? Come give your old man a hug, Satoshi. Come on!" He spreads his arms invitingly.
It's hard for Satoshi to know what to expect from his father; after all, it has been six years, and the man has always been a bit unpredictable. He hesitates a bit but eventually embraces him, unsure what else to do. At some point, he'll say, "Sorry I missed you yesterday. I knew you were working, so I left you to it, but I didn't think I'd fall asleep before you came back...Everything been OK on the home front since I've been gone...?"

Kuroimaken
2014-02-14, 02:31 PM
"Your mom's right, you're still the same old worrywart. I usually go to bed much later than that, boy. Don't you go getting your pants in a bunch about it."

His father embraces Satoshi very, very tightly. If he didn't know better, the young Shinigami would think his old man had gotten stronger.

That was just what missing him did, though.

"Everything's been fine. Stray bandit or two, but nothing we ain't used to.

How have you been?"

Satoshi knows the tone of that question. Looks like his mother's talked to him already.

Setsurou smiles once he's done gulping on a dumpling. "Well met, Naijeru-san. I dropped by to see how the preparations for the Rukongai operation are coming along.

I also happened to stop by Engineering on an unrelated matter, and Koutetsu-san showed me an interesting invention. A Kidou weapon that can paralyze unpowered subjects as if struck by sufficiently potent Reiatsu. I wanted your opinion on how such weapons might be employed - they're less effective than our soldiers, of course, so I was thinking we could perhaps issue a couple of those to any Rukongai recruits. They seem pretty effective. What's your take on it?"

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-14, 03:48 PM

"Your mom's right, you're still the same old worrywart. I usually go to bed much later than that, boy. Don't you go getting your pants in a bunch about it."

His father embraces Satoshi very, very tightly. If he didn't know better, the young Shinigami would think his old man had gotten stronger.

How have you been?"

Satoshi knows the tone of that question. Looks like his mother's talked to him already.
The question makes sense, but it's how his father asks it that makes Satoshi nervous again. It's that tone of voice that won't abide any exaggeration or embellishment; he'll only accept the truth, nothing more and nothing less. "I've been having a rough time of it since graduation," he admits. "The Gotei divisions are worlds apart from the academy...They expect a whole lot more out of every member, even from newbies like me...Honestly, it's kind of discouraging. Everyone keeps telling me to just keep trying and to do my best, but what happens when that's not enough? Effort can only carry me so far..."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-14, 06:32 PM
"And your mother has adequately smacked you for that mindset, I trust?

Son, any kind of school can only give you basic knowledge. Anything else you'll learn through experience. It's one of the reasons your superiors are all older than you. Demanding more from you is a way of trying to see if you've got the drive to rise above that. At the end of the day, anyone can swing a sword. But it takes the really smart to know when.

You'll make mistakes, everyone does. You'll live to learn from them. You will err on the side of caution, you will err on the side of overkill. But ultimately you will learn. That's what they mean by 'doing your best'. They want you to try and make the best decisions, and if you can't, pick the one that helps the most people."

AnimeKid
2014-02-14, 09:26 PM

How have you been?"

Setsurou smiles once he's done gulping on a dumpling. "Well met, Naijeru-san. I dropped by to see how the preparations for the Rukongai operation are coming along.

I also happened to stop by Engineering on an unrelated matter, and Koutetsu-san showed me an interesting invention. A Kidou weapon that can paralyze unpowered subjects as if struck by sufficiently potent Reiatsu. I wanted your opinion on how such weapons might be employed - they're less effective than our soldiers, of course, so I was thinking we could perhaps issue a couple of those to any Rukongai recruits. They seem pretty effective. What's your take on it?"

Naijeru rubs his scruffy short beard as he ponders Setsurou's words. He eventually starts speaking after a few seconds deliberation. "Well it is less effective then our men but depending on how much it costs to make it could be a good way to help the civilians feel safe. It is a tool that could provide a sense of security. Plus the fact that it can imitate that effect means that more violent criminals can be more safely subdued. All in all a good tool to use. And your idea seems to be the best one way to use it Setsurou-san."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-15, 02:24 AM
"Best of all, Koutetsu-san tells me the effects are pretty much wasted on anyone with enough spiritual power. So they can't be turned on us, and even if they did, nothing to worry about. Plus we avoid any nagging from nobles.

I'll run the figures by the Commander. But all in all I think we're ready to implement the first phase of the operation." The formation of the militia would be the second phase.

TherianTheorist
2014-02-15, 09:00 PM
[Las Noches]

Somewhere in las noches, on a side street, there is an uneven pile of scrap metal, carved stones, and sand, roughly the size of an adult human. Sitting atop it is the arrancar known as Bernadette Almira, idly watching the passers by go about their night.

"I'd like to see the soul society someday, maybe even compare notes with their artists." She's not speaking to anybody in particular but it's clear from the way she says it that she intends to strike up a conversation with whoever heard her.

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-17, 09:30 AM

"And your mother has adequately smacked you for that mindset, I trust?
Under different circumstances, Satoshi might crack a smile or laugh a bit. "Yeah," he replies sullenly. "Yeah, she sure did..."

Son, any kind of school can only give you basic knowledge. Anything else you'll learn through experience. It's one of the reasons your superiors are all older than you. Demanding more from you is a way of trying to see if you've got the drive to rise above that. At the end of the day, anyone can swing a sword. But it takes the really smart to know when.

You'll make mistakes, everyone does. You'll live to learn from them. You will err on the side of caution, you will err on the side of overkill. But ultimately you will learn. That's what they mean by 'doing your best'. They want you to try and make the best decisions, and if you can't, pick the one that helps the most people."
Satoshi seems conflicted now; his pre-conceived notion of success is clashing with the undeniable logic in his father's words, which align with everything else he's been told thus far. With his conviction in his old ways shaken, he doesn't seem to know what to do, but that may be just where he needs to be at the moment.

"Damn, I...I don't know. I don't know what to think...I mean, it makes sense, but is that the only way to really improve my standing...?" Looks like he still needs some time to give it some serious thought. At least someone was able to get through to him, though.

Kuroimaken
2014-02-17, 11:42 AM
"Did you become a Shinigami only so you could ascend the social ladder, son? Or did you do it to improve the lives of those around you? Did you do it to prove yourself to others, or to your own heart?

What you do next depends on the answer to that question. No more, no less."

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-17, 01:11 PM

"Did you become a Shinigami only so you could ascend the social ladder, son? Or did you do it to improve the lives of those around you? Did you do it to prove yourself to others, or to your own heart?

What you do next depends on the answer to that question. No more, no less."
The answer to that question is obvious; Satoshi knows it, and so does his father. He instinctively reaches to his neck with one hand and gently rubs the patch of discolored skin where he was struck by lightning seven years ago. Surviving that unfortunate incident had been the turning point in his life, the moment that he'd gained the potential to become a Shinigami. From the moment that he began to exhibit his powers, only his family and closest companions ever really believed that he could make something of it; others considered him a wanna-be who would never actually amount to anything. His joining the Shinigami was the ultimate act of spiteful resistance, a way to show everyone that even someone without a natural gift could achieve greatness.

Recent events, however, have forced him to question his judgment: the beat-down at Tsuchigumo's hands, the "pep-talk" with Urameshi, the three-day leave order, and now the chats with his parents. The constant barrage of doubt has been weighing him down, and with his father's questions, he's finally reached his limit. "Dammit, Pops," he says, exasperated, "I told you, I don't know...! I don't know anymore! I..."

Taking a moment to think, Satoshi considers that he may never have spoken up against his parents like that, let alone cussed at them. "I...I'm sorry...I just...can't deal with all this right now..." Unable to handle any more of the discussion, he stands up and bolts from the house, running until he finds some place where he can be alone for a while...

KnightDisciple
2014-02-17, 02:05 PM
"Hmm. Well we could go over there and pull the alarm apart until we find something that tells us the source. Although that seems like it could backfire pretty easily.

Or I suppose we could try Sawadas private library maybe that would have a mention of what's causing the racket, might take a while to search through everything though. Unfortunately apart from those two it doesn't seem like we have enough information to do much else to be honest, don't suppose you have any better ideas?"
(OOC: I'm super-sorry this took forever. The last week ended up being kind of busy in general and I can trend toward forgetfulness.)

Michael sat on the other end of the screen for a few long moments, looking very pensive.

"I would be hesitant to dismantle it, assuming the Commander approved such a thing.

As for the library, it's quite possible we could find an answer there. But right now I doubt the Commander would authorize it. I would likely be ordered to shut up and go code some more, and you would be ordered to keep working on your gun.

Because we would be suspect members of a sub-group of Soul Society that has been proven subversive and dangerous to the Gotei. And we would be asking to look through the library of the man who spearheaded said treachery for decades.

It's worth asking but I don't foresee it being granted."

Michaels' expression is one of a man tasting something sour or rancid.

Kuroimaken
2014-02-17, 04:31 PM

The answer to that question is obvious; Satoshi knows it, and so does his father. He instinctively reaches to his neck with one hand and gently rubs the patch of discolored skin where he was struck by lightning seven years ago. Surviving that unfortunate incident had been the turning point in his life, the moment that he'd gained the potential to become a Shinigami. From the moment that he began to exhibit his powers, only his family and closest companions ever really believed that he could make something of it; others considered him a wanna-be who would never actually amount to anything. His joining the Shinigami was the ultimate act of spiteful resistance, a way to show everyone that even someone without a natural gift could achieve greatness.

Recent events, however, have forced him to question his judgment: the beat-down at Tsuchigumo's hands, the "pep-talk" with Urameshi, the three-day leave order, and now the chats with his parents. The constant barrage of doubt has been weighing him down, and with his father's questions, he's finally reached his limit. "Dammit, Pops," he says, exasperated, "I told you, I don't know...! I don't know anymore! I..."

Taking a moment to think, Satoshi considers that he may never have spoken up against his parents like that, let alone cussed at them. "I...I'm sorry...I just...can't deal with all this right now..." Unable to handle any more of the discussion, he stands up and bolts from the house, running until he finds some place where he can be alone for a while...

His father is certainly distraught at his boy's reaction, and calls out Satoshi's name, but it is in vain. Satoshi runs and runs and runs.

There is one place he can go. It's a small lake at the end of the river that runs through Haidani. People don't usually go there; if they need fish, they can raise those themselves in ponds.

Dorizzit
2014-02-17, 09:41 PM

[Las Noches]
Central District

Jehoel nods, then extends his hands to both of the present mortals.

"Give me your hands."

Tsubame's holding cell

"A truce is, hopefully, putting it mildly", the elder replies. "Let me put it this way: men and women, armed with soul-cutting weapons, cross the boundary between worlds to chase down Hollows and break their masks so that they can be returned to their human form and personality. Who am I describing?"

[Soul Society]
Tsubame's Holding Cell

"You are selectively describing the organizations of both the Arrancar and Shinigami in such a way as to make them sound identical, despite significant differences in modus operandi and motivation, not to mention historical context. I can appreciate the notable similarities, but I do not require..."

Tsubame's face catches up with her words. She bows again.

"...please forgive my outburst."

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-18, 09:21 AM
Li smiles. "You are forgiven. Now, the reason I focus on similarities, is because they are more relevant than the differences. For all practical purposes, the Arrancars of Las Noches are expressing a desire to do our jobs - to be Shinigami. In the long... term..."

Li's brow furrows and Li's voice trails off. Inside the commander's uniform, a phone set on silent alarm is shaking slightly. It's not loud enough for Tsubame to hear or see, though it's clear the commander is distracted. Whoever is calling has a remarkably bad timing. " *ahem* What I was about to say? Oh yes. In the long term, both our peace with Arrancars and their right to exist depends on how well we can make them perform our job. In a way, you can say they walk a similar trail than the Quincy - they are just a few steps ahead."

The commander walks to the door. "So, even if negotiations with the Quincy prove to be fruitless, your technology may still prove vital. Don't give up, Hazuki-san."

With those words, the commander leaves... and once out in the hallway, draws out the phone and answers Koutarou. "Speak. What is it?"

Kuroimaken
2014-02-18, 09:30 AM
"We have a heretofore unknown alarm in your office, Commander. SSI has yet to trace anything it might connect to. Next to no help on what it might be related to, either. All we have to go on is a green light, a red light, a biohazard symbol and a button. Up until a few moments ago it was sounding off and the red light was flashing, but it has since stopped.

I thought it wiser to err on the side of caution and not press the button. But we only know one person with access to Commander-level clearance and the know-how for such a setup.

This... might be connected to Von Geister's cell, sir."

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-18, 10:49 AM
[RUKONGAI, DISTRICT 63 (HAIDANI)]

Satoshi runs until he reaches the district line, eventually happening upon the lake at the edge of the village. Knowing that it's not often visited, he comes to rest at the water's edge and sits in the short grass, trying to get his head on straight. He rests there for some time, almost completely disconnected from the world around him, and thinks hard about his intentions, his ideals, and his ultimate goal.

(It's not like I don't care at all about other people,) he debates with himself. (I do care about them...like Mom and Pops, and Tsuna-san, and all those kids from town...I want to keep them safe. But...there's no point to worrying about them if I remain as weak as I am. Still, I gained my spirit powers by chance; I know it, everyone knows it...and they're sure that those "artificial abilities" are sub-par at best, that I'll never really amount to anything useful. That's why I decided to practice my power and become a Shinigami: I want to show them all up and...and then what...? What should I do with any of that strength? Am I just using the Shinigami as a crutch? If that's true, then...what was the real point of any of this...?)

That's a good question.

Suddenly, a woman's voice echoes from seemingly everywhere and nowhere at the same time, and Satoshi looks for the source but fails to find anyone within earshot. "Who's there," he calls, but no answer comes to him. It never occurs to him that the voice came, not from his surroundings, but from the depths of his own mind...

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-18, 10:52 AM
[Soul Society]
Internal Security hallway, talking to a phone

"Oh, you mean the alarm behind Izanagi's family portrait." Out of all things hidden in that office, it wasn't hidden particularly well.

"It is related to the Ghost King, I agree. You can call off the SSI trace party, though. As far as I know, it's only a transdimensional radio transceiver. It has no hardline connections to anything in Seireitei. The signal that triggered it must have passed already, so even if I knew the frequency it uses, we wouldn't be able to mirror it anymore." Li shrugs.

"You might as well press it. It won't help us tell where it caught that signal from, but it might buy us more time."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-18, 12:37 PM
A small sigh comes from the other side of the line. "Commander, if I may, please allow me to request that such important information be shared in the future? I realize I'm a tad impulsive and unreliable, but that hesitation could've cost us..."

Koutarou goes ahead and presses the button.

Spacewolf
2014-02-18, 01:11 PM
(OOC: I'm super-sorry this took forever. The last week ended up being kind of busy in general and I can trend toward forgetfulness.)

Michael sat on the other end of the screen for a few long moments, looking very pensive.

"I would be hesitant to dismantle it, assuming the Commander approved such a thing.

As for the library, it's quite possible we could find an answer there. But right now I doubt the Commander would authorize it. I would likely be ordered to shut up and go code some more, and you would be ordered to keep working on your gun.

Because we would be suspect members of a sub-group of Soul Society that has been proven subversive and dangerous to the Gotei. And we would be asking to look through the library of the man who spearheaded said treachery for decades.

It's worth asking but I don't foresee it being granted."

Michaels' expression is one of a man tasting something sour or rancid.

Vern shrugs "Guess we just have to tell them we don't have enough information then. Not really much we could be expected to do with the lack of information after all."

Draken
2014-02-18, 01:35 PM
Soul Society
Office of the Commander General

Moments after Koutarou presses the button, the hazard sign opens into a screen showing.

A large round chamber, the floor is metal covered in prayer strips, with twelve asauchi stabbed on the ground around it and chained to the floor and the unseen walls, ancient, shriveled corpses grasp the hilts, all but one, which is fallen to the side.

The very center of the chamber bears a large gash where it was apparently broken, and a green radiance comes from beneath, illuminating the place. The breach is at least two meters wide, not too big compared to just how large the entire metal disk is.

A strip of paper comes out of an indent next to the screen, a set of Senkaimon coordinates is written on it.

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-18, 02:57 PM
[Soul Society]
Internal Security hallway, talking to a phone

Li notices Koutarou's voice trailing off. "That alarm wasn't important. To be frank, I'm amazed it still worked. But from your distraction, I can tell you've now pushed it. Did it do something?"

Kuroimaken
2014-02-18, 03:28 PM
"A moment, commander."

Li can hear Koutarou's voice under his breath speaking a set of numbers. Likely writing something down.

"The button opened up a screen. Looks like a large sealing chamber of some sort. Whatever triggered the alarm seems to have breached part of the seal - there's a set of twelve corpses holding Asauchi and one is knocked down.

But what worries me is that the center of the chamber is empty save for a large, glowing gash. I'm not entirely familiar with such installations, but if I had to guess, I would say something 'slipped' past that point and tore open the center. Not much to go on save for that."

Well, kudos to Koutarou for not immediately losing his [feces] at the prospect that whatever had been bound in there might be loose.

"Commander, do the coordinates XXX, YYY, ZZZ, WWW mean anything to you?"

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-18, 03:36 PM
"Give the coordinates to SSI Senkaimon surveillance team. They should be able to tell which dimension it leads to." Li pauses to think. "If the answer is 'Dangai', we'll have to think of a recon force to send through. Call me again when they have something to tell."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-18, 03:50 PM
"Understood, sir."

One quick dial to Castus later.

"Vern-san, abort that trace. Whatever it's for, the alarm system gave us a set of Senkaimon coordinates - please verify where they lead."

Koutarou will then proceed to pass the coordinates along with utmost precision, checking the screen every so often for signs of change...

Spacewolf
2014-02-18, 04:38 PM
Vern inputs the data into the surveillance system and waits to see what the result is. He also patches Harada into the conversation so that the researcher can see what's going on.

Draken
2014-02-18, 04:59 PM
Yep. Dangai. Pretty far removed from any of the spots the Seireitei most often interacts with. The few known precipice world prisons that still stand are considerably close and cluttered, compared to the sheer remoteness of these coordinates.

A less enlightened mind would ask why go this far and not simply throw whatever that is in Hell. A more enlightened mind would know that Hell has a purpose and taking such a route would be a defilement of such purpose.

Spacewolf
2014-02-18, 05:51 PM
"Seems like you've chosen an unusual spot Vice-Commander. The results say the Senkaimon would open up in the Dangai, pretty far removed from the usual routes we take through the precipice as well.

Don't suppose you could fill us in could you? It is difficult for us to do our jobs with so little to go on."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-18, 06:10 PM
"We're looking for some kind of facility. Likely a sealing chamber of some sort. Don't expect it to be receptive, it was made not to be known to anyone. 'Lock it away and throw away the key' level."

Koutarou would patch Li into the conversation, but he only knows how to dial one number at a time. So Castus is put on hold.

"Right you were, Commander - the facility's on the Dangai. I've asked the SSI to give their long-range sensors a go.

You already knew it was there. In the Dangai, I mean."

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-19, 08:29 AM
"Ghost King's prison was classified as a precipice world facility in the files attached to the other alarms. It was one of the very few things about it not behind a password." Li thinks for a moment. "I suggest you start thinking of recommendations for a recon party to be sent there. I will procure hazmat suits from Medicine and Logistics." Silently, Li is thinking of how big a bomb they would need to send through to eradicate both the facility and its sole inmate.

Kuroimaken
2014-02-19, 08:45 AM
"Understood."

His first call is meant for Medicine and Logistics.

More especifically, a certain patient...

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-19, 09:10 AM
If said patient is "Hiraku Masaru", the answer is "We're sorry but he signed out yesterday."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-19, 11:09 AM
Jigokuchou it is!

"Masaru, come see me when you get the chance; it's important."

AnimeKid
2014-02-19, 01:09 PM
Naijeru rubs his scruffy short beard as he ponders Setsurou's words. He eventually starts speaking after a few seconds deliberation. "Well it is less effective then our men but depending on how much it costs to make it could be a good way to help the civilians feel safe. It is a tool that could provide a sense of security. Plus the fact that it can imitate that effect means that more violent criminals can be more safely subdued. All in all a good tool to use. And your idea seems to be the best one way to use it Setsurou-san."

Naijeru nods and claps his hands together as he says, "Alright then! I'll tell the boys to be ready to move out at any time. gonna see if I can drill them a bit more on not lethal Hakuda takedowns. I want this stuff to be their automatic reaction to anything that might take them by surprise in Rukon. Best not to have any accidents."

[Las Noches]
Central District

Jehoel nods, then extends his hands to both of the present mortals.

"Give me your hands."

Tamaki nods and grasps Jehoel's hands. Now he might finally be able to learn something. Now they could have the other side of the story rather than tales about the boogie-man. It was time to learn.

Kuroimaken
2014-02-19, 01:58 PM
Naijeru nods and claps his hands together as he says, "Alright then! I'll tell the boys to be ready to move out at any time. gonna see if I can drill them a bit more on not lethal Hakuda takedowns. I want this stuff to be their automatic reaction to anything that might take them by surprise in Rukon. Best not to have any accidents."

"Got some of my boys handpicked for the job as well. Mostly former Rukongai residents. They should be able to help out. Teaching investigation techniques as well as police protocol will take a lot longer, so they'll have to shoulder that burden alone for a while, but it can't be helped."

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-19, 03:22 PM

After an hour or two more spent on his own, Satoshi puts his thoughts of future goals and past intentions aside, too exhausted to think about any of it for a good long while. With nowhere else to go for the time being, he reluctantly returns home, not sure what to expect...

((Short, I know, but I couldn't think of anything more interesting to put in here.))

Kuroimaken
2014-02-19, 07:42 PM
He'll find his home deserted, as his parents are all off to their day-to-day tasks. Perhaps they'll be back by noon?

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-20, 09:29 AM

Ah, of course. Satoshi should've known that they would be out and about, busy as always. Rather than wait around, he takes some time to clean the house up a bit while his folks are gone. Interestingly enough, it doesn't take as much effort as he assumed it would, thanks to Urameshi's conditioning having toughened him up some. As noon approaches, he steps outside to get some fresh air...

Mina Kobold
2014-02-20, 09:42 AM
[Las Noches]
Central District

Rin, having little prior understanding of any faction's opinions, simply grabs Jehoel's hand.

Kuroimaken
2014-02-20, 10:06 AM

Ah, of course. Satoshi should've known that they would be out and about, busy as always. Rather than wait around, he takes some time to clean the house up a bit while his folks are gone. Interestingly enough, it doesn't take as much effort as he assumed it would, thanks to Urameshi's conditioning having toughened him up some. As noon approaches, he steps outside to get some fresh air...

He'll find his mother returning from the village's center with some much-needed groceries - things the farm cannot produce on its own.

"There you are. Where have you been all morning?"

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-20, 12:49 PM

He'll find his mother returning from the village's center with some much-needed groceries - things the farm cannot produce on its own.

"There you are. Where have you been all morning?"
"I...Sorry, I didn't mean to make you worry," Satoshi responds shamefully. "Pops and I talked earlier this morning, and...well, I got really confused and frustrated. I never imagined that I'd be dealing with all of this so soon after graduation, and it was overwhelming me, so...I took off and just tried to...sift through all this junk that's bogging me down."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-20, 04:49 PM
"Did you get anywhere with those thoughts?"

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-20, 05:48 PM

"Did you get anywhere with those thoughts?"
Satoshi shakes his head and answers, "I thought it'd help, but...I'm still just as confused as before. Maybe it's my own fault for getting complacent, I don't know...Whatever it is, I think I should just forget about it for a little while, maybe try to relax and let the answers come naturally. I'm certainly not getting anywhere the way I am now..."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-20, 06:26 PM
"You just saved me the effort it would take to smack you upside the head.

If you want my opinion, you're overthinking it all. When the time comes and you have to make a choice for what's right, you'll know.

I don't suppose you have any plans for the rest of your stay?"

Dorizzit
2014-02-20, 08:18 PM
[Las Noches]
Central District

Rin, having little prior understanding of any faction's opinions, simply grabs Jehoel's hand.
Overuse of spoilers? What's that?

Tamaki nods and grasps Jehoel's hands. Now he might finally be able to learn something. Now they could have the other side of the story rather than tales about the boogie-man. It was time to learn.
[Las Noches]
Central District -> District 1

There is a blink, a sense of motion, and the group is in District 1, the Grand Library. They stand before a particularly massive building, which Jehoel strides toward, opening the door for the two mortals. The entire building is series of large floors overlooking an open, central space. Apart from this central area, which is covered with tables, the rest of the building is consumed by bookshelves. Occasionally, an Arrancar can be seen flitting between the shelves. Jehoel leads them to the second floor before leaning against one of the railings. When he speaks, it is slightly more quietly than his usual, already reserved, tone.

"This is the largest portion of the Grand Library, repository of knowledge, literature, philosophy, and those who pursue them. Now, I ask of you both: why did you come here?"

Li smiles. "You are forgiven. Now, the reason I focus on similarities, is because they are more relevant than the differences. For all practical purposes, the Arrancars of Las Noches are expressing a desire to do our jobs - to be Shinigami. In the long... term..."

Li's brow furrows and Li's voice trails off. Inside the commander's uniform, a phone set on silent alarm is shaking slightly. It's not loud enough for Tsubame to hear or see, though it's clear the commander is distracted. Whoever is calling has a remarkably bad timing. " *ahem* What I was about to say? Oh yes. In the long term, both our peace with Arrancars and their right to exist depends on how well we can make them perform our job. In a way, you can say they walk a similar trail than the Quincy - they are just a few steps ahead."

The commander walks to the door. "So, even if negotiations with the Quincy prove to be fruitless, your technology may still prove vital. Don't give up, Hazuki-san."

With those words, the commander leaves... and once out in the hallway, draws out the phone and answers Koutarou. "Speak. What is it?"

[Soul Society]
Holding Cell

Tsubame nods seriously at the Commander's imperative.

"I will see this through. No matter what."

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-21, 08:46 AM
[Soul Society]
Tsubame's holding cell

After the commander has left, the research assistant stands up. "Apologies. I will have to return to my previous task now. We will send you a word when your new quarters are ready. You will be given a laboratory to work in now that prior resident Kobayashi Momoka has been given a new assigment. I wish you luck with your research." The girl (?) bows, and the exits, leaving Tsubame to think alone in her cell.

Later that evening, a bunch of IntSec wardens arrive and escort her to the Tiger Temple.

---

[Soul Society]
IntSec premises, on the phone

As Koutarou goes to call other people, Li dials Castus Vern. "Vern-san. This is the commander. That new railgun of yours... how accurately can it shoot in a straight line?"

Spacewolf
2014-02-21, 09:17 AM
Vern sits up straight when the commander appears on his screen, pausing for a few seconds while he recalls the information from testing.

"Well, I'd say a deviation of just under 2mm per kilometer would be about right at this time. Although if you're wanting us to fire through the Senkaimon the angle will be tricky."

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-21, 09:22 AM
"Hmmm." The commander thinks. "Two kilometers doesn't sound enough. I'll have to get back to you on that. Different question: as long as you don't have to enrich uranium by yourself, how quickly could make an atomic bomb for me?"

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-21, 09:46 AM

"You just saved me the effort it would take to smack you upside the head.

If you want my opinion, you're overthinking it all. When the time comes and you have to make a choice for what's right, you'll know.

I don't suppose you have any plans for the rest of your stay?"
"Nothing comes to mind," Satoshi replies, rejoicing inwardly at avoiding another blow to the head. "I was considering going out there and helping Pops out in the field, but I'll need to apologize for rushing out of the house on him first...Why, did you have something in mind?"

Spacewolf
2014-02-21, 09:54 AM
"Hmmm." The commander thinks. "Two kilometers doesn't sound enough. I'll have to get back to you on that. Different question: as long as you don't have to enrich uranium by yourself, how quickly could make an atomic bomb for me?"

"You're wanting to hit something 4mm wide from more than two Kilometers away? I'm not entirely sure that's possible outside perfect conditions. As for the bomb within a few days easily. Hell a Soul Reaper might be able to do it by hand, not that I would really recommend it."

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-21, 09:59 AM
"A few days? I'll give you four. Make it so that it only needs the warhead placed to be ready for use. You don't need to make it a missile, something man-transportable is enough. We want a payload of at least 1 megaton. Do send me the blueprints at first possibility and inform me how much uranium you need, and of what isotope. I'll see what I can procure. Over and out."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-21, 11:05 AM
An hour or two of looking through rosters later, there's a message sent out to the following people: Michael Harada, Castus Vern and Kobayashi Momoka.

The message is the same for all three: "Please report to the Vice-Commander's office ASAP."

KnightDisciple
2014-02-21, 11:34 AM
An hour or two of looking through rosters later, there's a message sent out to the following people: Michael Harada, Castus Vern and Kobayashi Momoka.

The message is the same for all three: "Please report to the Vice-Commander's office ASAP."

It only takes a few minutes before Harada arrives, typing something into his wrist-comp. When he's fully inside the office, he idles the device and lowers his arm, looking up toward Koutarou.

"Vice-Commander, sorry for the slight delay. Had to hand off a few things to some of the other SSI members. I'm guessing this isn't just a friendly meeting, at this point."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-21, 11:38 AM
"It's quite alright, Harada-san. I'm sure you have your duties as much as anyone else here in the Gotei to tend to, and you can't just drop everything on a whim.

I'll begin a full explanation once everyone's here, but suffice it to say, this is a mission that requires your combined levels of knowledge and expertise."

Spacewolf
2014-02-21, 11:58 AM
Vern arrives shortly after Harada and hands Koutarou a few sheets of paper.

"Here's the plans the Commander wanted. I don't really foresee any delays so it shouldn't be hard to deliver on time."

The plans were just a few basic drawings showing that Vern planned to use the implosion type method and U-235. As well as a request for a supply of tritium and deuterium gas, plus calculations for how much he would need of each Isotope.

Once he's handed over the plans Vern finally notices Harada.
"Is something else going on?"

Kuroimaken
2014-02-21, 12:25 PM
"I suppose I should have been a bit more clear on my message. Welcome, Vern-san. Please, have a seat."

Of course, Koutarou would be hard-pressed to be able to tell the difference between a nuclear bomb and a water heater, but the presence of the words 'fusion' and the mention of uranium-235 set up some red flags in his mind.

"I wasn't informed of this. What exactly does this device do, Vern-san?"

Spacewolf
2014-02-21, 12:57 PM
Vern looks at Koutarou pauses, then decides to go with the simple answer.

"It explodes."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-21, 01:32 PM
"I feel foolish for asking, but thank you for clearing my ignorance on the subject." So the Commander-General commissions a nuke right around the same time he orders Koutarou on a recon mission to the dangai facility that may or may not house The Ghost-King of All Hollows.

If only Koutarou could believe in coincidences.

"Setting aside said detail for now, all we're waiting on right this moment is Kobayashi Momoka. It's about those coordinates I had you investigate."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-21, 01:35 PM

"Nothing comes to mind," Satoshi replies, rejoicing inwardly at avoiding another blow to the head. "I was considering going out there and helping Pops out in the field, but I'll need to apologize for rushing out of the house on him first...Why, did you have something in mind?"

"I WAS going to ask you to help me do a few chores around the house, but your spin on the idea has the added benefit of getting you some sunlight. Go on now, scoot. You remember where your father's plot is, right?"

KnightDisciple
2014-02-21, 01:46 PM
Vern looks at Koutarou pauses, then decides to go with the simple answer.

"It explodes."

Michael Harada had actually blanched a bit at seeing the plans.

"That's a bit of an understatement."

"I feel foolish for asking, but thank you for clearing my ignorance on the subject." So the Commander-General commissions a nuke right around the same time he orders Koutarou on a recon mission to the dangai facility that may or may not house The Ghost-King of All Hollows.

If only Koutarou could believe in coincidences.

"Setting aside said detail for now, all we're waiting on right this moment is Kobayashi Momoka. It's about those coordinates I had you investigate."
Yeah, he's still kind of pale.

"The same coordinates for some Dangai prison that's completely off the books?"

Kuroimaken
2014-02-21, 01:54 PM
Michael Harada had actually blanched a bit at seeing the plans.

"That's a bit of an understatement."

Yeah, he's still kind of pale.

"The same coordinates for some Dangai prison that's completely off the books?"

Maybe it's the lack of contact with actual knowledge of the weapon itself, or maybe knowing he could fire something with a terrifying yield through his own power made Koutarou less humble. But he seems a bit more exasperated at the way this information reached him than anything else.

"None other. I see you're beginning to piece the puzzle yourself. What do you figure is in that Dangai prison facility?"

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-22, 12:12 PM
[Soul Society]
HQ - Vice-Commander's office

At this point, Zheng Li Lin limps up the stairs, giving a puzzled glance to Koutarou, Castus and Michael. "What's the occasion here?"

Kuroimaken
2014-02-22, 01:15 PM
"This is a pre-briefing session for the recon mission you had in mind, Commander. We're one team member short, but I thought I might speed a few things along either way."

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-22, 01:31 PM
"Is that 'one member' one of Naganori Igarashi, Kobayashi Momoka or Hiraku Masaru. They're on a paid leave. I don't think you can expect a reply from any of them in less than.... oh, let's call it a week." Li spots the blueprints Koutarou is perusing, and looks at Castus. "Are those the blueprints I asked for, Vern-san?"

Spacewolf
2014-02-22, 01:37 PM
"That's correct Commander, like I said nothing too difficult."

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-22, 01:41 PM
Li snatches the papers from Koutarou. "Wonderful. Ishinomori-san, come see me when you're done. Carry on." Li opens the door to Li's office and steps in, then closes it and leaves the assorted officers to continue their discussion.

Kuroimaken
2014-02-22, 01:50 PM
"Now that you mention it, Momoka-san would have been the one I'm waiting for. I would've called on Naijeru-san, but the Combat Division is going to be busy enough with him around...

And I don't think this should wait a week.

I'm reluctant enough to wait more than two days."

The way he stressed that may relate to the plans he had just been perusing.

"I'll just have to call on someone else and re-brief them when they answer. Back to the issue at hand, gentlemen.

The facility we're going to on this mission is assumed to have been built by none other than former Commander-General Izanagi. That alone should suffice to indicate what class of being is imprisoned there. Aside from a few screen captures and some educated guesses, we have next to no information on who or what is imprisoned there. But recent events point to one suspect.

Erscheinung Von Geister."

KnightDisciple
2014-02-22, 03:35 PM
Li snatches the papers from Koutarou. "Wonderful. Ishinomori-san, come see me when you're done. Carry on." Li opens the door to Li's office and steps in, then closes it and leaves the assorted officers to continue their discussion.
Harada's gaze can't help but track the plans for one of the most horrific and destructive weapons ever devised as the Commander-General casually snatches them up and walks out.

"Now that you mention it, Momoka-san would have been the one I'm waiting for. I would've called on Naijeru-san, but the Combat Division is going to be busy enough with him around...

And I don't think this should wait a week.

I'm reluctant enough to wait more than two days."

The way he stressed that may relate to the plans he had just been perusing.

"I'll just have to call on someone else and re-brief them when they answer. Back to the issue at hand, gentlemen.

The facility we're going to on this mission is assumed to have been built by none other than former Commander-General Izanagi. That alone should suffice to indicate what class of being is imprisoned there. Aside from a few screen captures and some educated guesses, we have next to no information on who or what is imprisoned there. But recent events point to one suspect.

Erscheinung Von Geister."
Now Harada looks almost sick for a moment, and is leaning more heavily on his cane. He closes his eyes and takes a few calming breaths, and his color returns in moments.

"I honestly am not sure we should necessarily wait for more than a couple of hours. If the prison has been damaged but not totally breached, we can enact emergency repairs and assess the possibility of setting up a more permanent guard force.
If it's empty, it won't get more empty in the time we wait.
But if it's not empty, moving sooner would allow us to hopefully prop up the wards and such."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-22, 05:12 PM
"I actually agree with that assessment, Harada-san. I would move sooner rather than later. If the Commander's plans for that device are related to this mission however, and I have every reason to believe they are, then you know what they're meant for.

Honestly, what worries me even more is that said countermeasure may ultimately not be enough.

And of course, whoever damaged the facility may still be lingering around. We will need caution."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-23, 08:45 AM
[At the Senkaimon]

Setsurou calmly walked up to the Senkaimon facilities carrying a small briefcase. He hoped to get some minutes of the meeting itself, in order to properly present his report later. He sported a bowler hat today, but no other accessory that might indicate a lack of seriousness on his part.

He looked at Tsubame and gently waved in the gate's direction. "Ladies first."

Dorizzit
2014-02-23, 02:54 PM
[Soul Society]
Senkaimon

Tsubame is also carrying a briefcase, one which is rather bulky. Apart from that, she is indistinguishable from any other Shinigami, her appearance utterly immaculate. She nods.

"Very well."

She steps through the Senkaimon.

strawberryman
2014-02-23, 04:00 PM
[Soul Society]
(Because apparently the meeting about the prison is going on today!)

Li's phone rings again!

It's Chouko. Oh boy. What does she want.

"Yo! Koutetsu is out, Vern's bothering me for high-grade explosive crap, what's goin' on?"

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-24, 04:15 AM
[Soul Society]
Commander-General's office

Li answers the call, mildly perplexed. "Oh, the bomb? It's for demolishing an old prison facility. Is there a problem? Maybe I can help, I have the blueprints just before me. Oh, and don't worry about the hydrogen or uranium isotopes. Those will be shipped to you at first oppurtunity."

---

[Hueco Mundo]
Las Noches - Valentina's quarters

Meanwhile, elsewhere... a man wakes up, rising to a sitting position on a bed he doesn't remember falling asleep on. The last clear image in his mind is of some sort of a snake crawling towards him, and him tearing its head off. But the dark room doesn't look like it has any dead snakes in it. He must've been dreaming.

His eyes wander around, eventually fixing on a large bag lying on the floor. That must be his. But the rest of the room isn't. He brings his hands to rub his sore head, trying to figure out where he has ended up in. It would help if the air around him would stop howling in frustration.

Oh, yes. The howling. He glances at the walls, the floor, the ceiling. All of them look like they were made of pale sand, or perhaps bone dust. He must be back in the world of hungry ghosts. Bit by bit, it comes back to him. Jehoel came to fetch him, along with some cat-girl. Tamaki and some odd woman tagged along, while Hasunaga and others were left behind.

Mikael drops out of the bed, stretching his aching limbs. He starts looking for a door, intent on searching where Tamaki and Jehoel might be, when he remembers he promised the cat-girl to stay in this room untill she'd come back. And there's no sight of her. What a bother. Shakily, Mikael walks to his bag and sits next to it, pulling out a notebook and a pen, and then the assault rifle he stole acquired from his homeland. Might as well try doing something productive while waiting. Carefully, he takes the weapon apart, placing its pieces in neat rows on the floor.

strawberryman
2014-02-24, 08:37 AM
[Soul Society]

"Bomb? Prison? Geez, there ain't more of them cult bitches, are there?" One might wonder why she continues the call, but Chouko is a great multitasker due to her multitude of arms. Wait, what? She just walked in, clicking off the phone on her (new, improved) visor. She looks around at the gathered parties.

"Hah. Having a little powwow without a high-class DJ mechanic, are we? Where're the snacks, yo?"

Kuroimaken
2014-02-24, 09:22 AM
Koutarou quirks a brow.

"It might have to do with the fact that this is supposed to be a briefing about a risky mission, not a friendly chat. But your timing is pretty fortuitous, since I just heard that our original third fourth member will be unavailable.

So, back to my original point. We're off to a prison facility that in all likelihood houses the most dangerous Hollow known in history. Erscheinung Von Geister. Go on. Pull his file."

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-24, 09:25 AM

"I WAS going to ask you to help me do a few chores around the house, but your spin on the idea has the added benefit of getting you some sunlight. Go on now, scoot. You remember where your father's plot is, right?"
"Of course," Satoshi replies casually. "I'll be back tonight, promise."

It doesn't take long at all to find the place where his father's working; after all, Satoshi spent some time out there with him in his teen years, doing whatever he could to pitch in. As he approaches, he hails his father and says, "Hey, um...Listen, I'm sorry about this morning. I shouldn't have snapped at you and left all of a sudden like that..."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-24, 09:41 AM
"Less talk, more work, son. Grab a hoe." His father doesn't sound angry. Satoshi probably made a bigger deal out of things than he needed to.

"Have you managed to get some thinking time to yourself? Figure things out?"

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-24, 10:25 AM
[Soul Society]

If Chouko tries to "pull his file", the results will prove underwhelming, as the actual file on the prison and its inhabitant is still behind Izanagi-no-Mikoto's personal passcode. But she will be treated to a rather amusing story (a recorded testimony from Lucaster Reene, to be exact) of how Izanagi took many of his best men to fight the King, and how most of them died screaming. Only Izanagi, Eibon and the 1st Kenpachi returned, while three others sacrificed their lives to seal the King's prison.

There is also a very brief description, added by Zheng Li Lin: "Erscheinung Von Geister AKA 1st King of Hollows. Known powers: communication across dimensions. Alleged powers: DNA manipulation, immortality." That's all. Some Senkaimon co-ordinates are appended next to the text.

KnightDisciple
2014-02-24, 05:17 PM
[Soul Society]

"Bomb? Prison? Geez, there ain't more of them cult bitches, are there?" One might wonder why she continues the call, but Chouko is a great multitasker due to her multitude of arms. Wait, what? She just walked in, clicking off the phone on her (new, improved) visor. She looks around at the gathered parties.

"Hah. Having a little powwow without a high-class DJ mechanic, are we? Where're the snacks, yo?"

A bag flies through the air toward Chouko. If she catches and opens it, it is...honey roasted almonds!
The snack of coding champions, apparently, as Michael is nervously munching on a few from his own bag.

Koutarou quirks a brow.

"It might have to do with the fact that this is supposed to be a briefing about a risky mission, not a friendly chat. But your timing is pretty fortuitous, since I just heard that our original third fourth member will be unavailable.

So, back to my original point. We're off to a prison facility that in all likelihood houses the most dangerous Hollow known in history. Erscheinung Von Geister. Go on. Pull his file."
"If Chouko's willing she'd be an excellent addition to the team.

Also, Von Geister? ****. That just reinforces the need to get there sooner to try and shore up the defenses or double the sealing, assuming he's not already gone."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-24, 07:38 PM
"I'm willing to accept that she did not get where she is today on any one of her musical tastes or her ability to cook." Koutarou offered with a smirk. "That is, however, all the levity we have to spare for this situation..."

strawberryman
2014-02-24, 07:54 PM
Chouko's eyes dart back and forth as she reads, even as she catches the bag of almonds and turns to Koutarou. "You dissin' my jams, man? I will throw down some nasty **** right here. Our primitive plumbing systems will just not be able to cope with the crazy-ass ****storm I can start. The sewers will fill and we'll be up to our knees in rice refuse and digested Colonel Chao's special sauce."

...she stops to think for a moment. "Seriously though. With Koutetsu out for business or whatevs, I gotta build your bomb. I can recommend a few upstanding mechheads, though."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-24, 09:31 PM
"More of a classic rock and metalhead myself, thanks." Koutarou offers with a dismissive wave. "And I was making a thinly-veiled compliment, by the way. I trust your skill. And speaking of trust..."

Koutarou straightens up. He's in speech mode.

"...I know there's still some tension left, what with Yasunobu Sawada and his insanity. That tension has translated into everything short of a witch hunt, and with things as they are now, we cannot afford to not be working at our level best.

To be frank, I'm not even tangentially aware of whatever hellish philosophy it was that drove Sawada's actions. And I don't honestly care to know. A man's path is his own to make, and no one's exempt from making mistakes along the way. Some are more hideous than others. But it all comes down to our duty and who, or what, we choose to protect.

Not everyone gets to be a Shinigami, and not every Shinigami fights for the same thing. But every Shinigami ultimately has the same duty - to protect the lives and souls of the weak from the dangers of afterlife. Our history and original reason for existing notwithstanding, this is why we're here now.

I will never ask for a Shinigami to die for anyone. I will never ask for personal sacrifice. All I ask, all I have the right to ask, is that a Shinigami upholds his or her duty to the best of their abilities. No more and no less. So long as this condition is met, any of my fellow Shinigami has my unconditional trust.

If any of you, or anyone you know, still seeks to uphold Eibon's tenets, I urge you to remember your duty and responsibility. And should any of you not care for it, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better opportunity to put this issue behind us once and for all."

Koutarou would not dare ask if he has been clear. If nothing else, it would come as an insult that such distinguished minds could have possibly misinterpreted his message.

Spacewolf
2014-02-25, 03:34 AM
Chouko's eyes dart back and forth as she reads, even as she catches the bag of almonds and turns to Koutarou. "You dissin' my jams, man? I will throw down some nasty **** right here. Our primitive plumbing systems will just not be able to cope with the crazy-ass ****storm I can start. The sewers will fill and we'll be up to our knees in rice refuse and digested Colonel Chao's special sauce."

...she stops to think for a moment. "Seriously though. With Koutetsu out for business or whatevs, I gotta build your bomb. I can recommend a few upstanding mechheads, though."

Vern rolls his eyes at Choukos pointless swearing before pretending to be sympathetic.
"Well, if the Engineering Division is so inundated with work that they cannot complete the weapon before the deadline then Vice Commander perhaps you should allow the SSI to complete every step of the project from planning to deployment. We wouldn't want the first major project of the new division to come in overtime after all."

"More of a classic rock and metalhead myself, thanks." Koutarou offers with a dismissive wave. "And I was making a thinly-veiled compliment, by the way. I trust your skill. And speaking of trust..."

Koutarou straightens up. He's in speech mode.

"...I know there's still some tension left, what with Yasunobu Sawada and his insanity. That tension has translated into everything short of a witch hunt, and with things as they are now, we cannot afford to not be working at our level best.

To be frank, I'm not even tangentially aware of whatever hellish philosophy it was that drove Sawada's actions. And I don't honestly care to know. A man's path is his own to make, and no one's exempt from making mistakes along the way. Some are more hideous than others. But it all comes down to our duty and who, or what, we choose to protect.

Not everyone gets to be a Shinigami, and not every Shinigami fights for the same thing. But every Shinigami ultimately has the same duty - to protect the lives and souls of the weak from the dangers of afterlife. Our history and original reason for existing notwithstanding, this is why we're here now.

I will never ask for a Shinigami to die for anyone. I will never ask for personal sacrifice. All I ask, all I have the right to ask, is that a Shinigami upholds his or her duty to the best of their abilities. No more and no less. So long as this condition is met, any of my fellow Shinigami has my unconditional trust.

If any of you, or anyone you know, still seeks to uphold Eibon's tenets, I urge you to remember your duty and responsibility. And should any of you not care for it, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better opportunity to put this issue behind us once and for all."

Koutarou would not dare ask if he has been clear. If nothing else, it would come as an insult that such distinguished minds could have possibly misinterpreted his message.

Vern shrugs at Koutarous speech having heard all the Eibon stuff from Li already.
"Seems that if you're wanting a four man team this is the best you're going to get for now Vice Commander, so perhaps we should get our equipment and head out before we miss our opportunity to stop this cult."

strawberryman
2014-02-25, 02:36 PM
Chouko turns her head to Vern for a moment after Koutarou's speech. She then sends the video file she recorded of the Command Division's lieutenant to a few reliable parties within the engineering division, along with a rather simple text-based message. Most of them decline.

"...Yo, Vern, you doubtin' the efficienacity of the Engineering division? I can finish the damn bomb, but I can't be in two places at once. I figure you want the best mechanic available to set this explosion party in motion. S***, I already have the paper hats, cups, and punch ready. Don't go and think I'm not down for a little mosh pit action."

Efficienacity, for those with the official Takenaktionary™, is a portmanteau of Efficient and Tenacity.

Kuroimaken
2014-02-25, 03:15 PM
"Takenaka-kun. What's your estimate for building said bomb? Assuring its quality and safety in handling, of course." There is no malice in the Vice-Commander's words - he speaks rather matter-of-factly.
He doesn't doubt she can do it.

"I'm going to need your utmost expedifficiency in this matter."

See, he can make up words too. This one is a mix of expedience and efficiency.

Mina Kobold
2014-02-25, 03:27 PM
[Las Noches]

There is a blink, a sense of motion, and the group is in District 1, the Grand Library. They stand before a particularly massive building, which Jehoel strides toward, opening the door for the two mortals. The entire building is series of large floors overlooking an open, central space. Apart from this central area, which is covered with tables, the rest of the building is consumed by bookshelves. Occasionally, an Arrancar can be seen flitting between the shelves. Jehoel leads them to the second floor before leaning against one of the railings. When he speaks, it is slightly more quietly than his usual, already reserved, tone.

"This is the largest portion of the Grand Library, repository of knowledge, literature, philosophy, and those who pursue them. Now, I ask of you both: why did you come here?"

Rin looks curiously at their surroundings every step of the way, halfway seeming to disbelieve what is going on and halfway resisting the urge to investigate every nook and cranny of the library. At Jehoel's words, the Mortal looks up from a particularly interesting shelf.

"Didn't want to stand behind and hope nobody got hurt going to another world, mostly. Doesn't hurt that it's a better way to learn than trying to research based on practically nothing"

The security guard fish-out-of-water says, seemingly too distracted to think too much about whether or not to reveal ignorance of most of the afterlife to Jehoel.

ImpSyndrome
2014-02-25, 03:49 PM

"Less talk, more work, son. Grab a hoe." His father doesn't sound angry. Satoshi probably made a bigger deal out of things than he needed to.

"Have you managed to get some thinking time to yourself? Figure things out?"
"I only wish," Satoshi says with a tone of humility. He grabs up one of the nearby farming implements and continues, "But I'm done worrying about it for now. It's not helping me any, so I might as well try to do something more productive...It doesn't feel very pleasant, but I guess that's how it goes sometimes..."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-25, 04:55 PM
"You're going to give your mother wrist pains from smacking you upside the head so much." Satoshi's father shook his head. "Stop thinking and keep moving. Best medicine for a problem you take too long solving. Otherwise the frustration mounts and you don't go anywhere.

With this at least, you have a tilled field, and what will be, will be."

Frozen_Feet
2014-02-26, 09:01 AM
[Soul Society]
Vice-Commander's office

At this point, Li opens the commander's office's door and steps back into the room. "I believe the deadline I gave was four days", Li remarks. "Do feel free to surprise me and finish it earlier, but do realize the isotopes won't get here with a snap of my fingers. Building the delivery mechanism is the easy part."

"In any case, Takenaka-san is right. She can't be in two places at once. Neither can Vern-san. If building the device can't be delegated to someone else, one of them has to stay here. I don't care which, draw lots if you have to."

strawberryman
2014-02-27, 03:38 AM
[Soul Society]

The door opens again. A rather large, hunched man steps in, messy black hair tied in knots in some places by cloth strands. His eyes are blue, and apart from his lack of sleeves (which show off his rather muscular arms), the only thing to set his shihakusho apart is a blue sash wrapped around his waist, with what seems to be an aquatic themed gold embroidery. His zanpaktou, a large nodachi with a sheathe painted with waves, is tucked through the sash, and there's a bandolier carrying several vials that snakes around the other side of his hip.

Harada will probably recognize him as Hamasaki Daiki. Former member of SSI, and a rather talented chemist. His physical stature and other modifications can be linked to his propensity towards self-testing. There's rumors he has shark-teeth. His slight baring of the pearly whites confirms this to be true.

"Cap'n said you need volunteers. Guess I'm as good as any."

Chouko gives two right-side thumbs-up. "Hamasaki here can be my wingman. He might not be a techno mastermind robotics engineer... or... really, any kind of engineer, but hey, not like I'm gonna bitch about getting a voluntary poach from you guys, right?"

Daiki picks his teeth slightly. "No hard feelins, I hope." He doesn't sound like he overly cares.

Kuroimaken
2014-02-27, 09:05 AM
"Are you volunteering for the expedition or the bomb-building?" Koutarou's face clearly indicates which answer he fears.

strawberryman
2014-02-27, 03:44 PM
[Soul Society]

"Daiki here is comin' on your prison party crashin' party, ain't much of an engineer, like I said. I can vouch for him, he's solid, and I don't just mean his head or his arms." Chouko folds her arms, and Daiki nods.

"Sounds like a plan, boss."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-27, 07:02 PM
"That works for me. Harada? Vern?"

KnightDisciple
2014-02-27, 11:45 PM
Michael Harada had given Hamasaki Daiki a polite nod as the chemist walks in. He shrugged at the mention of "poaching", declining comment.

"If Daiki-san's willing, I think he'd make a very solid addition to the team."

Spacewolf
2014-02-28, 06:26 AM
"Couldn't hurt I suppose."

AnimeKid
2014-02-28, 05:31 PM
"Got some of my boys handpicked for the job as well. Mostly former Rukongai residents. They should be able to help out. Teaching investigation techniques as well as police protocol will take a lot longer, so they'll have to shoulder that burden alone for a while, but it can't be helped."

Naijeru nods at Setsurou's words thoughtfully. The teaching of investigation techniques and police protocol would indeed be tricky and lengthy. Depending on the opinions of the people when they tried to teach and implement then they be considered as overstaying their welcome.

"I see. Well then it seems we truly are just about prepared for this undertaking. Here's hoping that nothing goes wrong. I swear if I find this Murpy guy I'm gonna put him through a table."

Overuse of spoilers? What's that?

[Las Noches]

[/COLOR]

Tamaki looked around with wonder evident on his face. It looked a bit unusual on him considering his usual frosty expression. When Jehoel asked his question he turned towards the Arrancar and pushed his glasses up before answering.

"My answer is quite simple. I came here to learn. As humans, we typically fear that which we do not understand. Such as yourselves. As you saw from my teacher there is some fear of you and some of it is for good reason. However at the same time we fear you without fully understanding why. Is it just the power? There are possibly various humans with such power as well and yet we do not readily fear that fact.

Mikael offered me a different opinion, backed by his experiences as you saved him. I wish to form one of my own. I do not wish to do it blindly however. So far I have seen that like humans no Arrancar is the same. I wish to see the extent of our similarities and our differences. I wish to learn the culture that has been set up here, the way of life, the philosophies, the opinions and beliefs of these beings. The reason I came here is because I seek to understand. That's as simply as I can put it."

Kuroimaken
2014-02-28, 06:16 PM
Naijeru nods at Setsurou's words thoughtfully. The teaching of investigation techniques and police protocol would indeed be tricky and lengthy. Depending on the opinions of the people when they tried to teach and implement then they be considered as overstaying their welcome.

"I see. Well then it seems we truly are just about prepared for this undertaking. Here's hoping that nothing goes wrong. I swear if I find this Murpy guy I'm gonna put him through a table."

"He's probably already reincarnated, but I share the sentiment.

I will leave Urameshi in charge of my side of the recruits... there's a mission I need to see to in the Mortal World coming up in a couple of days. I don't foresee any problems though."

________

"Very well, lady and gentlemen.

Ready yourselves. We depart in two hours."

Dorizzit
2014-03-01, 01:51 AM
[Las Noches]
Grand Library

Jehoel nods sagely as he listens to both explanations.

"I see. Well, then. This is your first lesson. This was very close to terminally stupid for both of you."

He turns to look first at Rin.

"You do not possess the power to influence the fate of anyone else in the Spirit World. A regular human, without powers, stands almost no chance against even the weakest of Hollows. One with less than a quarter of my power could kill you without even giving you time to react. If you know nothing, it is better to air on side of caution, unless you seek to end your own life. The world into which you have entered is fascinating, I'm sure, but also terribly dangerous. It would do you well to consider this in the future."

He switches to Tamaki.

"As for you, you knew how dangerous Hollows could be, and charged blithely in. Yes, we've been working with the Shinigami. Yes, we have the face of a human. Yes, I've helped you. That means nothing. Hollows are practically immortal. A few days, or months, or even years means nothing to the older among our kind. This could easily have been an elaborate trap to lure you in for any number of purposes. Humans fear us because we have hunted and consumed them for millenia, often in ways that are unnecessarily vicious and cruel. That doesn't just change from the transformation to Hollow to Arrancar: the evolution allows growth, but does not create it. 'Learning from the source' is all well and good, if there is any concrete indication that said source doesn't have more use for you dead than alive."

He pauses, letting his words sink in. At no point did his tone change at all.

"Now that I've rebuked you both, allow me to completely undermine my message by providing you everything you desired. I merely mean to encourage you to think before you act. Every action must be carefully weighed and measured, or someone might die. It is better to play the safe odds and survive than risk your own life, which is precious beyond compare. When, and if, you do choose to risk your existence, it should be with full knowledge of the potential consequences, and the desire necessary to succeed even so. Am I making sense?"

Mina Kobold
2014-03-01, 05:21 AM
[Las Noches]
Grand Library

Rin surprisingly raises an eyebrow and shakes her head and replies in a slightly apologetic tone.

"Not particularly, I'm afraid. I don't see much safety about knowing nothing of why a, presumably Hollow-related, being appeared in the middle of my workplace and attempted to set me on fire. Seemed safer to go with my leads than assume it was a one-time event. Don't really have years to weigh whether the next one will succeed in offing me."

Shrugging, the knowledge-lacking Mortal pulls out a notebook and flips through over a dozen pages of diagrams and sketches to reach a particular one. Scribbling down a few words in a table and crossing out others, Rin adds:

"Am thankful, though, it's good advice in general and I won't complain about learning what to avoid."

Frozen_Feet
2014-03-01, 05:48 AM
[Soul Society]

Li looks at those gathered, then nods at Koutarou. "You have your group then", the commander says, then turns to the rest of the group. "Now, I heard some musings about equipment? I will have to order you to wear Gotei standard hazardous materials suits for this expedition. There is a very high chance of the air there being contaminated with biological pathogens. It may not be good for breathing even without those."

"I already have assistants fetching those suits and external air supplies. One question remains, though: do you want the spirit-nullifying armor plates that go with them?" Li turns at Koutarou again. "I believe others here have experience with those, but you might need an explanation: those plates are made of Sekkiseki. They serve to magnetically seal the suits, creating a miniature version of the Shakonmaku protecting this city. They are very, very good at keeping any sort of spiritual influence out. They are, however, just at good at keeping any spiritual influence in." Fun fact: that includes not just manifestations of Reiatsu, but also stuff like body heat and urine. Remember to go before suiting up if you don't like catherers. "While wearing those, you have to rely on your raw strenght and intellect. Kido is not possible without external equipment. Neither are advanced forms of Hoho or Zanjutsu."

Spacewolf
2014-03-01, 06:06 AM
"I think I'll have to decline Commander, while I still have my sword the trade off just isn't worth it."

KnightDisciple
2014-03-01, 05:44 PM
Michael thought about the offer for a moment before shaking his head.

"Perhaps if I'd been inclined to take a few more laps around the courtyard, but as it stands I'm not comfortable cutting myself off from not only Kido but my Shikai."

He might be a bit of a prodigy in combat, but a lot of his style does revolve around the use of Kido or his reiatsu. It makes sense he'd turn the offer down.

strawberryman
2014-03-01, 05:50 PM
[Soul Society]

Daiki shrugs. "Been around chem s*** enough, I'll be fine. I'll take the suit, if ya can make a fit."

Chouko flexes her arms a bit. "Well, it's about time to go back to the bomb jam, brothas." She leaves without a word, breaking into shunpo when she leaves the command division offices.

Kuroimaken
2014-03-01, 05:51 PM
"Is there some kind of a release mechanism to go with those plates? My Shikai would have little to no issue with reliance on raw strength, given how it works. Although I might be unable to change to the bulkier forms while sealed in."

Frozen_Feet
2014-03-01, 06:43 PM
"There is a release mechanism, yes. It takes a minute of time and a calm mind to operate without breaking anything." Li thinks. "Hmmm, I suppose the speed record was shy of five seconds. But that was not in combat conditions, and was done by someone proficient with the gear. It might be easier for you if we just left them out. Li glances at the others around. "I will remind you, though, that without the plates the suits are just plexiglass, chainmail and kevlar. Good enough for a dip in toxic waste, not good for close combat. If you end up in a fight, they will be compromised. The visor will be the first thing to yield. They're mostly just dead weight if you end up breathing poison gass through cracks in the glass."

Kuroimaken
2014-03-01, 06:58 PM
"If we end up in combat we'll have bigger things to worry about. Especially if Von Geister is somehow free. Even I'm not foolhardy enough to get into a fight with that man."

Frozen_Feet
2014-03-01, 07:06 PM
Li coughs. "Well, then. If you feel that way, I'll give you the plates to try for yourself. I believe Daiki can assist you with the locks." Li paces around. "Are there any more arrangements we need to go over, Vice-Commander?"

5a Violista
2014-03-01, 07:09 PM
[Hueco Mundo]
Las Noches - Valentina's quarters

Valentina returns to her quarters, hanging out in the doorway. If it hadn't had been for her arm, it would have been hardly perceptible. As it is, though, Mikael had twenty to thirty seconds to sense her coming before she actually arrived.

She's actually a little surprised that he stayed there and didn't take this opportunity to get away and explore on his own. I guess my first impression was wrong, she thinks. This causes the beginnings of a smile to appear on her mouth.

Then, in case he was too busy to notice her, she speaks up. "So, are you ready to take a look around the city?"

Frozen_Feet
2014-03-01, 07:34 PM
When Valentina returns, Mikael has taken apart and put back together his rifle over thirty times. She can see its parts spread out on the floor in neat floors, as if reflecting its design schematic. Mikael is holding its lock in his hand, left eye closed, the right eye wide open and staring at it intently. If Valentina has been paying attention, she might note the man's eye is different than it was when he arrived. Gone is the blue and green, replaced with blackness with a white slit in it.

At first, the man is motionless, as if in a trance. In a way, he is. He has been ruminating on the epiphany he had of sensory perception, based on Jehoel's words and later confirmed by Hasunaga's. Seeing spirits is, indeed, like seeing light in another spectrum. But that was just the surface. Not just visible light and spiritual power can be seen by his eyes, but also infrared spectrum, gamma and ultraviolet rays, radio frequencies... even the molecular vibrations normally perceived as sound can be turned into a picture in his head. It is simply a matter of... focusing on the right aspect of existence and asking a bit of help from it.

Which, incidentally, means that during his breaks he has already taken a look at the city. Multiple looks. Some in ways completely alien to Valentina, just as some of her methods of spiritual detection are obscure to him. "Depends. Is it more interesting than what I can see from your window?" He puts the piece of weaponry down and blinks a few times, his eyes returning to their normal color. As fascinating as the molecular structure of carbon steel was, looking at it for this long was very straining to his eye. It takes a moment for it to return to using resolution usable in a humanoid scale.

5a Violista
2014-03-01, 07:46 PM
Hueco Mundo
Valentina's Quarters

Valentina assumes that randomly changing eye color is just a thing mortals can do. It appears she has a very poor sample size of number of mortals she's met. For all she knows, every mortal is just like Mikael.

"Actually," she responds, in a matter-of-fact way, "my window has a terrible and limited view. You can hardly see anything good from it." She glances at the window, just to confirm what she just said. Yup. The same, old, boring view.

Kuroimaken
2014-03-01, 07:47 PM
Li coughs. "Well, then. If you feel that way, I'll give you the plates to try for yourself. I believe Daiki can assist you with the locks." Li paces around. "Are there any more arrangements we need to go over, Vice-Commander?"

"Nothing comes to mind. Our exiguous knowledge of the circunstances of our destination is the reason for this expedition, after all. If we need further assistance, that's what our communications are for."

Frozen_Feet
2014-03-01, 07:57 PM
[Soul Society]
Vice-Commander's office

"Good. I'll be waiting for you at my desk." Li limps back to the commander's office, leaving Koutarou to finish up discussion and close the meeting.

---

[Hueco Mundo]
Valentina's quarters

"I suppose you know better than me", Mikael replies and stands up. "Mind if I just leave the gun like that? I'm not finished with it. It hasn't told me how to make bullets yet." Mikael glances up. "Maybe because it lacks a clip. Really should've taken one with me when I had the chance."

strawberryman
2014-03-01, 08:05 PM
Daiki shrugs, following Koutarou in case he did need help. He has really very little to say about this!

Eternis
2014-03-02, 07:02 AM
[Shinōreijutsuin]
Chishio wakes up from where he was lying, his rubbing his numb cheeks.
"Ugh....
Wait, what just happened..."

Due to limitations on my time, I find myself unable to search through and find where my character has been used. Would someone mind bringing me up to speed on what's been going on in the Shinōreijutsuin, or perhaps even helping Chishio train?
Sorry for being such a bother, I've just been rather wrapped up. ):

Frozen_Feet
2014-03-02, 09:24 AM
((OOC: Eternis, the answer to that is "not much". I can help Chishio train so he can integrate to the larger plot. Basically: around a month and a week have passed since he entered the Academy, and you can assume he's been taught the very basics of Shinigami lifestyle and been handed out the first-year student uniform. You can expect the next three months to pass in short order too. You could send me a PM telling what you want your character to learn.))

[Soul Society]
Shinōreijutsuin

"Back on your feet, lad", the Hakuda instructor bellows. "You really need to learn to take a punch if you want to get anywhere!"

A seniour student hurries to help Chishio get up. The instructor continues:

"Listen. Your footwork's decent. You're a tall fellow with a fair bit of muscle on those bones. We have the makings of a warrior in you. But you can't keep falling flat on your ass each time someone tickles your face a little!"

"Tickle", in this context, means "punches you hard twice in rapid succession". Chishio was momentarily knocked out by his sparring partner, the same older student who is now helping him up.

"Here. This is what you should do. First, keep your jaws pressed together. Don't let your tongue slip between your teeth. Things get ugly if you do. Second do this:" The instructor holds his arms up, elbows close together and knuckles forming an even line just below his eyes. "When you're close to your opponent, hold your guard pretty high, but don't block your eyes. This way, you can protect the center of your body and quickly raise your hands to block a hit to the head." The instructor assumes a longer stance, lowers his arms and lets them lean forward more. "When you're further away from your opponent, one step away from kicking range, you can lower and lenghten your guard. Distance buys time, remember that. In either position, don't keep your arms too clenched together, that gives you less time to react. Hold your elbow in a perpendicular angle."

The instructor proceeds to demonstrate few basic attacks and counter-attacks from both stances, primarily focusing on showing how to keep one's head safe from hooks and crosses from various angles.

ImpSyndrome
2014-03-03, 08:45 AM

"You're going to give your mother wrist pains from smacking you upside the head so much." Satoshi's father shook his head. "Stop thinking and keep moving. Best medicine for a problem you take too long solving. Otherwise the frustration mounts and you don't go anywhere.

With this at least, you have a tilled field, and what will be, will be."
"Well, yeah," Satoshi replies. "I mean, that's why I decided to come back and pitch in..." Speaking of which, it strikes him that he still retains the muscle memory of his work on the field even after six years of absence. It doesn't take long for him to match strides with his father, and soon time begins to pass without him realizing...

Kuroimaken
2014-03-03, 08:54 AM

"Well, yeah," Satoshi replies. "I mean, that's why I decided to come back and pitch in..." Speaking of which, it strikes him that he still retains the muscle memory of his work on the field even after six years of absence. It doesn't take long for him to match strides with his father, and soon time begins to pass without him realizing...

Hours later, the sun is going down and the two of them are done for the day.

"Well son, how do you feel now?"

Kuroimaken
2014-03-03, 09:23 AM
"Alright. Everyone, dismissed. Reconvene at Senkaimon number 5 in two hours for suiting up and departure."

Koutarou will take the time between then and now to test the plates his superior told him about.

Speaking of which, said superior did request his presence at the office as soon as the meeting was over. He'd best report.

"Commander. The team is assembled and scheduled to depart in two hours. It will consist of myself, Harada, Vern and Daiki. Chouko will remain here to build the device you requested.

Is there something else you need?"

KnightDisciple
2014-03-03, 10:28 AM
"Alright. Everyone, dismissed. Reconvene at Senkaimon number 5 in two hours for suiting up and departure."

Koutarou will take the time between then and now to test the plates his superior told him about.

Michael Harada merely nodded, first at Koutarou, and then at the others present, before moving out of the office.

Two hours later, he would be standing at Senkaimon 5, ready to suit up and depart.

ImpSyndrome
2014-03-03, 12:22 PM

As Satoshi and his father finish up their work and prepare to head home, the elder of the two once again raised the matter of his personal worries. This time, though, he's a bit more relaxed, and he responds, "A little better...It helps that I'm in my element like this, doing something familiar."

Kuroimaken
2014-03-03, 12:52 PM
"Good to know, son. Then your leave has given you some relief at last, eh?"

ImpSyndrome
2014-03-03, 01:53 PM

"Good to know, son. Then your leave has given you some relief at last, eh?"
"Yeah, at least a little," he replies. He may not be completely over himself, but it's true that he doesn't seem quite as frustrated and even looks a bit relaxed.

Kuroimaken
2014-03-03, 01:57 PM
"Too bad you need to go the day after tomorrow. You'll be missed."