PDA

View Full Version : The Preist (PEACH)

Ralasha
2007-01-26, 05:18 AM
The Preist

Game Rule Information:

Outlook, Personality, and Interaction in the world: People generally become Priests out of a geniuine feeling of need to help others, often risking and giving their lives to aid or help others at great cost to themselves. These selfless acts make them welcomed in many places with smiles, and good will. This attitude means they are more often than not living in poverty. However, many times they are treated as honoured guests, and patrons. Many think this is done in a hope that by showing favor to their Priests the Gods will show them favor in return, but wether ot not this is true is almost never mentioned since it brings no direct harm to those with such thoughts. A Priest that does not run into a burning building to save a child is often frowned upon, and rumors are faster than the wind. Since a Priests duty is to protect and aid others many commoners veiw Priests that fail in their duty with scorn, and other clergymen, such as Paladins, and Clerics, and even other Priests will not be so welcoming, making it harder on the Priest.

The Preist, and Spells Per Day
{table]Level | BAB | FS | RS | WS | Special | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
1st| +0 | +0 | +0 | +2 | Turn Undead | 3 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | -
2nd| +1 | +0 | +0 | +3 | Lay on Hands | 4 | 2 | - | - | - | - | - | - | -
3rd| +1 | +1 | +1 | +3 | Detect Undead | 4 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | -
4th| +2 | +1 | +1 | +4 | Detect Evil | 4 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - | - | - | - | -
5th| +2 | +1 | +1 | +4 | - | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | -
6th| +3 | +2 | +2 | +5 | - | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - | - | - | -
7th| +3 | +2 | +2 | +5 | - | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - | - | -
8th| +4 | +2 | +2 | +6 | Remove Disease 1/week | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - | - | -
9th| +4 | +3 | +3 | +6 | - | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - | -
10th| +5 | +3 | +3 | +7 | Remove Curse 1/week | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - | -
11th| +5 | +3 | +3 | +7 | - | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | - | -
12th| +6/+1 | +4 | +4 | +8 | Favor | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | - | -
13th| +6/+1 | +4 | +4 | +8 | - | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | -
14th| +7/+2 | +4 | +4 | +9 | - | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | -
15th| +7/+2 | +5 | +5 | +9 | - | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | -
16th| +8/+3 | +5 | +5 | +10 | Remove Disease 2/week | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 2 | -
17th| +8/+3 | +5 | +5 | +10 | - | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1
18th| +9/+4 | +6 | +6 | +11 | - | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2
19th| +9/+4 | +6 | +6 | +11 | - | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3
20th| +10/+5 | +6 | +6 | +12 | Remove Curse 2/week | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4
[/table]

Divine Favor While in the Temple of freindly deity healing durring sleep is doubled. When aiding others attribute bonuses equal to the wisdom modifier can be gained as needed. And a prayer has a 50% chance of being granted, and a 75% chance of being heard. the benefits are equivilant to blessing as the spell, and prayer. it can be used when in a temple to regain lost spells per day as though having rested and prepaired them again.
Detect Evil Detect Evil as a spell like ability 1 time per day per 2 levels lasting for 10 minutes per 2 levels. With a 20 foot radius. If out of line of sight it is sensed, but if in sight, it is detectable by an aura. Spells such as Nondetection, or undetectable Alignment, keep the Priest from being able to see the aura, but do not trick the sensation.
Detect Undead Detect Undead allows the Preist to know when Undead are nearby, but not the direction. the formula for figuring detection range is 10ft.x(Level+Wisdom Modifier).
Favor is graciousness shown by other members of the same "faith" usualy clerics overseer's of the churches and temples, or other Priests. The amount of aid is determined by a roll of 1d20 + level and wisdom of Priest requesting Aid, against the cost of such aid if any in gold. Lets say N equals the amount Needed by the priest or for the favor, and C is the Cost. is N>C then it is likely they will help, this still depends on if that church or temple can afford it. If the favor requires something illegal then it is a Difficulty Check determined by the DM. This Favor is not usualy limited to the Church/Temple. As the fact that they usualy travel in tattered Robes embroidered with their holy symbol makes them easily identifiable, and due to their Giving and Protecting nature they are often welcomed and left unscathed in a bar filled with hudlums. Many thugish types will even behave themselves in the pressence of one when they would not otherwise.
Turn Undead is the same as the Cleric Ability of the same name. (In instances of an Evil Preist Turn Undead should instead be Rebuke Undead.)
Remove Disease, and Remove Curse are the same as the Paladin Abilities of the same name. (In the case of an Evil Preist change Remove to Bestow.)
Lay on Hands is the same as the Paladin Ability of the same name. (In the instance of an Evil Preist Lay on hands uses Negative Energy, and harms living creatures other than the Preist using it.)
Abilities: Wisdom is especially important to the Preist as it allows most of his spell casting Abilities. Charisma is also important as some of his abilities will rely upon it heavily, such as Divine Favor, and Turn Undead.
Alignment: Any Non-Evil. (Allowing Players to use Evil Preists as Evil Characters is suggested Against as it is capable of collapsing the power of the game. However, this restriction is intended for PC's only, as evil priests, WILL exist.)

Hit Dice: d4.

Class Skills:
The Preists class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Heal (Wis), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features:
All of the abilities in the above Table, and the following are Abilities of the Preist.

Starting Gold: Priests Start with 1d6 x 100 Gold, plus any benefits from Proffessions.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Preists are proficient with all simple weapons, and light armor. They are not proficient with any sheilds.

Spells:
A Preist casts Divine spells which are drawn primarily from the cleric spell list. He must prepair his spells ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must.
To learn or cast a spell, a Preist must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a Preists spell is 10 + the spell level + the Preists Wisdom modifier.

(( I used the Wizard as a base for this, out of the PHB, along with the Cleric and Paladin. ))

Ralasha
2007-01-26, 03:05 PM
Am I to take it there are no Errors or area's which could use improvement?

Matthew
2007-01-26, 06:09 PM
You spelt Priest wrong in the title.

Paladins aren't generally considered clergymen. As far as I am aware, they are very devout secular figures.

I would have thought this kind of Character ought to have a lot more Skill Points and access to more Class Skills, as well as more Hit Points. I don't really understand why he is proficient with Armour of any kind.

I like the idea behind this Base Class, but isn't it very similar to the Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric)?

TheThan
2007-01-26, 07:45 PM
Well first off he doesn’t seem to offer the player much at higher levels. Just some extra remove diseases and curses, as well as a spell progression. Since they only get light armor and simple weapons, they really can’t do the whole clericzilla thing. Meaning this class is much weaker at higher levels than standard clerics. However I do like the lay on hands ability.

This class seems to have similar problems that the paladin has, nothing at higher levels. So naturally a player will want to fill that void by prestige classing. This may lead to problems in your campaign. Another problem is this leaves no room for a player to create an evil player. I’m not sure if this is what you were shooting for, but a lot of people like plenty of choice in what their characters can do.

The idea is sound but I think it needs a bit of work and some polishing before its really done.

I did a quite good priest a while back (before the forum move) but it seems to have been lost. I might have to repost it here in a bit.

Maglor_Grubb
2007-01-28, 03:42 AM
I don't get why it can't be chaotic? I think 'any good-alignment' might be better - they are supposed to be altuistic = good, amiright?

Darkshade
2007-01-28, 04:00 AM
I have a Priest build that is very different then this one
it is focused around a Priest of a pantheon instead of an individual deity

Icewalker
2007-01-28, 04:03 AM
I dunno, a Priest class is a good idea, but this one seems a little bland, there isn't anything really special. They need some special and unique abilities, plus maybe a capstone.

Icewalker
2007-01-28, 04:04 AM
damn, I'm sorry, my computer got glitchy, and wouldn't post the message, so I reclicked the post button. I won't try that again.

Icewalker
2007-01-28, 04:06 AM
See above message...sorry

Ralasha
2007-01-28, 03:34 PM
I'll get to work on it in a bit, and post the changes.

Where about should I put Divine Favor? I'm thinking 14th level.

Ralasha
2007-03-07, 04:11 PM
Actually, they do have quite a few Unique abilities though, Their Detect Evil ability, and Detect Undead.... lets say you are evil and have some way of covering it with a good aura. That just means the Preist can't tell by looking, but still knows you are there, and your aproximate direction, sorry about my absence, been moving.