PDA

View Full Version : Blind Swordsaint (3.5 Psionic Monk PrC) (PEACH)

LordErebus12
2014-01-30, 08:40 PM
I'm writing up a 10 level PrC. I call it the Blind Swordsaint. its a psionic PrC focusing on. Its class abilities are going to be based around blindsight, swordfighting, a telekinetic version of flurry of blows and some other pseudo-monk abilities.

I could use some help on it, if anyone is interested.

Blind Swordsaint

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110705182660/mk_/images/c/c4/KenshiPNG.png

Requirements
To qualify to become a Blind Swordsaint, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Abilities: Flurry of Blows
Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Sense Motive 4 ranks.
Feats: Weapon Focus (sword-like weapon)
Special: The character must have no ability to manifest psionic powers. If such ability was previously possessed (as with an ex-psion), that ability is forever forsaken. Once you take your first level in Blind Swordsaint, you cannot gain a level in any psionic based class again.

Class Features:

Hit Die: d8.
Alignment: Any Lawful

Class Skills
The Blind Swordsaint’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Psicraft (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points (at each level): 4 + Intelligence Modifier

Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |Second Sight|Highest Power|Power Points
1st| +0| +0| +2| +2|The Weakness of Sight, Second Sight, Monk Abilities |30 ft.|1st|2
2nd| +1| +0| +3| +3|Ki Sword, Telekinetic Flurry |40 ft.|1st|4
3rd| +2| +1| +3| +3| |50 ft.|2nd|8
4th| +3| +1| +4| +4|Uncanny Dodge |60 ft.|2nd|16
5th| +3| +1| +4| +4| |70 ft.|3rd|26
6th| +4| +2| +5| +5|Improved Telekinetic Flurry |80 ft.|3rd|38
7th| +5| +2| +5| +5| |90 ft.|4th|43
8th| +6| +2| +6| +6|Improved Uncanny Dodge |100 ft.|4th|52
9th| +6| +3| +6| +6| |110 ft.|5th|60
10th| +7| +3| +7| +7|Greater Telekinetic Flurry |120 ft.|5th|80

Armor & Weapon Proficiencies:
The Blind Swordsaint does not gain any new armor or weapon proficiencies for prestiging.

Power Points/Day:
A Blind Swordsaint can manifest powers. His ability to manifest powers is limited by the power points he has available. His base daily allotment of power points is given on Table: The Blind Swordsaint. In addition, he receives bonus power points per day if he has a high Wisdom score (see Table: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Power Points). His race may also provide bonus power points per day, as may certain feats and items.

Unlike the Psionic Fist PrC, a Blind Swordsaint cannot pool points from other classes together, nor can it use these points to manifest powers from another class (or vise versa).

Powers Known:
A chooses his powers from the Blind Swordsaint power list (See Below). At 1st level, a Blind Swordsaint knows two Blind Swordsaint powers of your choice. Each time he attains a new level, he learns two new powers. A Blind Swordsaint can manifest any power that has a power point cost equal to or lower than his manifester level. The total number of powers a Blind Swordsaint can manifest per day is limited only by his daily power points.

A Blind Swordsaint simply knows his powers; they are ingrained in his mind. He does not need to prepare them (in the way that some spellcasters prepare their spells), though he must get a good night’s sleep each day to regain all his spent power points.

The Difficulty Class for saving throws against Blind Swordsaint powers is 10 + the power’s level + the Blind Swordsaint’s Wisdom modifier.

Maximum Power Level Known:
A Blind Swordsaint gains the ability to learn two 1st-level powers when he takes his first level in the prestige class. As he attains new levels, a Blind Swordsaint gains the ability to master more complex powers, up to the highest given level limit (see table above).

To learn or manifest a power, a Blind Swordsaint must have a Wisdom score of at least 10 + the power’s level.

The Weakness of Sight (Ex):
Do to their permanent loss of function; your eyes are unable to see and unable to regain their sight through any means. Not even wish/miracle can restore your vision.

All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail. All opponents outside your 'second sight' range (see entry below) are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance). Attacks made at you from outside your range reduce your armor class by -2 and you lose your Dexterity bonus to AC (if any).

However, you are no longer subject to any effect that relies on sight, such as a sight-based illusion or gaze attack.

Second Sight (Su):
After suffering from the lack of sight, something strange happens… As if the veil of blindness was suddenly removed, you gain a different form of 'sight'. You generate a subtle telekinetic field of mental contact, allowing you to 'feel' your surroundings even in total darkness. You cannot distinguish color or visual contrast, nor can you read (unless the writing is somehow three dimensional).

This vision is very similar to Blindsight, with a range dependent on your Blind Swordsaint level (specified on the table above). You ignore blur or displacement effects, invisibility, darkness, and concealment, though you must have line of effect to a creature or an object to discern it. You do not need to make Spot or Listen checks to notice creatures; you can detect and pinpoint all creatures within range.

When underwater, this vision's range is halved. In a vacuum, its range doubles. You still have immunity to sight-based effects, such as sight-based illusions and gaze attacks.

Monk Abilities:
A Blind Swordsaint’s class levels stack with his monk levels for the purpose of determining his unarmed damage, flurry of blows and bonuses to Armor Class. His class levels do not apply to other monk abilities, such as unarmed speed, slow fall, and so on.

Ki Sword (Su):
Beginning at 2nd level, a Blind Swordsaint treats any sword-like weapon as a monk weapon for the purposes of any class feature(s) that may require or modifies a monk weapon.

Telekinetic Flurry (Su):
Beginning at 2nd level, as a swift action, the Blind Swordsaint creates an aura of telekinetic power surrounding himself. As a full round action on that same round, the Blind Swordsaint can use his natural attacks, unarmed strikes, monk weapons and even the flurry of blows class feature as if they were thrown weapons with a maximum range of 20-foot (no range increments). The Blind Swordsaint gestures as if making a melee attack, but the result of the attack affects a target within range. This ability does not actually grant reach, and so does not help provide a flanking bonus or allow the Blind Swordsaint to make attacks of opportunity at any range greater than normal. The Blind Swordsaint uses his normal melee attack bonuses and deals damage normally if it hits, though the target of the attacks can benefit from cover.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex):
At 4th level, a Blind Swordsaint retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a Blind Swordsaint already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.

Improved Telekinetic Flurry (Su):
As the Blind Swordsaint reaches 6th level, he can create a more powerful aura of telekinetic power surrounding himself. His range for his Telekinetic Flurry ability now extends to 40 ft.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex):
At 8th level and higher, a Blind Swordsaint can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the Blind Swordsaint by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has Blind Swordsaint levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

Greater Telekinetic Flurry (Su):
As the Blind Swordsaint reaches the zenith of his powers, he can create an even more powerful aura of telekinetic power surrounding himself than before. His range for his Telekinetic Flurry ability extends to a maximum range of 60 ft.

Multiclass Note: A monk who becomes a Blind Swordsaint may continue advancing as a monk. The Blind Swordsaint is a stand alone PrC, and cannot be combined with another Psionic Class.

http://i.imgur.com/I1y44Ij.jpg

Blind Swordsaint Spell List

1st:
Astral Traveler, Burst, Call Weaponry, Catfall, Control Object, Deceleration, Defensive Precognition, Detect Psionics, Detect Teleportation, Dissipating Touch, Far Hand, Float, Force Screen, Inertial Armor, Know Direction and Location, Offensive Precognition, Offensive Prescience, Precognition, Skate, Thicken Skin, Vigor
2nd:
Biofeedback, Body Equilibrium, Compression, Concussion Blast, Dimension Swap, Expansion, Grip of Iron, Hustle, Identify, Knock, Levitate, Object Reading, Psionic Lock, Psionic Scent, Sensitivity to Psychic Impressions, Stomp, Sustenance
3rd:
Astral Caravan, Body Adjustment, Body Purification, Danger Sense, Dissolving Weapon, Ectoplasmic Form, Eradicate Invisibility, Escape Detection, Prowess, Psionic Lion's Charge, Telekinetic Force, Telekinetic Thrust, Wall Walker
4th:
Anchored Navigation, Control Body, Detect Remote Viewing, Dimension Door, Dimensional Anchor, Dismissal, Divination, Fly, Freedom of Movement, Immovability, Inertial Barrier, Telekinetic Maneuver
5th:
Adapt Body, Baleful Teleport, Plane Shift, Power Resistance, Second Chance, Teleport, Teleport Trigger, Trace Teleport, Vampiric Blade

LordErebus12
2014-01-30, 08:46 PM
Reserved for whatnot...

Damionte
2014-01-30, 11:31 PM
I don't know.

It advances in spell level too quickly. 9 levels worth of spells in just 10 class levels is too fast. No other class can do that except the Ur Priest. Fastest spell progression is 5 for ten levels. You gain spells twice as fast. If you take the Ur Priests restrictions on not being able to cast spells form any other divine class, then ... ok.

The limited spell selection is not a weakness, as they're all perfect spells for the Cleric/Monk theme the class has going on.

enderlord99
2014-01-31, 06:27 AM
No other class can do that except the Ur Priest.

What about the Beholder Mage?

Zaydos
2014-01-31, 10:10 AM
Also Apostle of Peace and Divine Crusader, for less notoriously broken examples.

On to other things.

I'd toughen the prereqs a bit to stop 14th level 9th level spells still. Probably increase the prerequisites to 10 and 5 ranks requiring 7th level before entry.

What are its class skills?

1st Level: Being blind is thematic but this makes the class pretty much unplayable at 1st level, either you start higher level or are a total load to the party for a level.

Second Sight: Wouldn't you still be treated as blind against attackers outside of your blindsight range? I mean at 10th level this is nothing but at 2nd level it hurts pretty badly. I'd say it's probably not till 4th level you break even from the short sight range compared to the benefits of blindsight.

Telekinetic Fury: It let's you melee without moving more which is good.

LordErebus12
2014-01-31, 07:35 PM
Also Apostle of Peace and Divine Crusader, for less notoriously broken examples.

On to other things.

I'd toughen the prereqs a bit to stop 14th level 9th level spells still. Probably increase the prerequisites to 10 and 5 ranks requiring 7th level before entry.

Done.

What are its class skills?

Got to work on it a bit, when I have more time.

1st Level: Being blind is thematic but this makes the class pretty much unplayable at 1st level, either you start higher level or are a total load to the party for a level.

Second Sight: Wouldn't you still be treated as blind against attackers outside of your blindsight range? I mean at 10th level this is nothing but at 2nd level it hurts pretty badly. I'd say it's probably not till 4th level you break even from the short sight range compared to the benefits of blindsight.

up'd the range on the blindsight. it begins at 30 ft. at first level and ends up at 120 ft. I need to reword the whole thing, but I need help with that, since I'm kind of bad when it comes to that.

Telekinetic Fury: It let's you melee without moving more which is good.

my thoughts exactly.

I've switched the class from magic to psionics. it should have the same theme, though.

Also, switched the name to Swordsaint, rather than swordsage. I want to distance it from that class.

LordErebus12
2014-02-01, 09:33 AM
okay, the class is almost finished. got to work on skills, but that shouldn't take long.

Edit: skills done.

RedWarlock
2014-02-01, 05:14 PM
The PP/level is WAY too high, as far as I can tell. Compare against other distinct-progression psi-PrCs.

Newwby
2014-02-01, 09:54 PM
-as if they were thrown weapons with a 20-foot range increment-

Small proofreading note, you later mention a '40-foot maximum range' for the improved version - do you mean 20-foot maximum range here or 40-foot range increment later? In the case of the former you'd be able to attack at up to 100ft straight away (or feasibly, up to the limit of your blindsight).

Great class theme, I quite like it.

Zaydos
2014-02-01, 10:08 PM
What is his manifester level? To actually be able to manifest their highest level powers at 8th and 10th level they need +3 over class level, for 7th the need +2, and for 4th and 6th they need +1.

Also I agree that the pp per level is too much. First normally PP is based off of enough power to manifest their highest level power once or twice and thus changes as they level. More importantly, the 10 level PrC with 7th level powers should not get more power points than a 20th level psywar.

Also the powers known gives them 2 at 1st level (where they have no max power known) and then 1 a level thereafter, you might want to make it at 2nd level they learn 2 and then 1 a level thereafter.

LordErebus12
2014-02-02, 02:44 AM
The PP/level is WAY too high, as far as I can tell. Compare against other distinct-progression psi-PrCs.

fixed that. now it progresses much like the Psionic Fist.

Small proofreading note, you later mention a '40-foot maximum range' for the improved version - do you mean 20-foot maximum range here or 40-foot range increment later? In the case of the former you'd be able to attack at up to 100ft straight away (or feasibly, up to the limit of your blindsight).

Great class theme, I quite like it.

I meant 20 ft. maximum, increased to 40 ft. and 60 ft. later. I fixed it in the text.

What is his manifester level? To actually be able to manifest their highest level powers at 8th and 10th level they need +3 over class level, for 7th the need +2, and for 4th and 6th they need +1.

Also I agree that the pp per level is too much. First normally PP is based off of enough power to manifest their highest level power once or twice and thus changes as they level. More importantly, the 10 level PrC with 7th level powers should not get more power points than a 20th level psywar.

Also the powers known gives them 2 at 1st level (where they have no max power known) and then 1 a level thereafter, you might want to make it at 2nd level they learn 2 and then 1 a level thereafter.

Manifester level... perhaps? (1/2 Monk level + Blind Swordsaint level)

Reduced the amount of power points they have. Consider the fact that a Psionic fist can stack its power points with other psionic classes, while this class restricts a player from even having other psionic class. There is no combining pools like the psionic fist.

fixed that. now they begin with 2 powers and gain two at each level from their list.

LordErebus12
2014-02-02, 06:35 AM
i lowered the power point totals a bit.

LordErebus12
2014-02-02, 11:20 AM
okay, I got the class abilities how I'd like them, now we just need to work on the power points and some fluff.

Naturally, not all characters can have their eyes torn out by a demon, then discover all the powers they have inside them.

I could use some more critique...