PDA

View Full Version : Please rate for balance

ShedShadow
2014-01-31, 05:46 PM
Hey guys,

This is a class that I made myself, it is a paladin/monk crossover with specifics that he must use a one-handed weapon in two hands.

HD: d10
Alignment: As Deity
skill points: 4
bab: full 20
weapon proficiency: Deity's favorite weapon if applicable or longsword
class skills: balance, climb, concentration, craft, diplomacy, escape artist, hide, knowledge religion, listen, move silently, jump, perform, sense motive, sleight of hand, spot, swim, tumble

Armor proficiency: none, has unarmored as Monk

ultimate saves, as Monk
code of conduct: must follow Deity's guideline (as paladin of appropiate alignment)
Must pray every day for 1 hour or be unable to use any abilities

lvl 1 = weapon focus, smite 1/day, power attack
lvl 2 = shield of swings (combat expertise basically)
lvl 3 = Dodge
lvl 4 = pushing assault (use -5 power attack to push target back 5 ft.)
lvl 5 = weapon specialzation
lvl 6 = Mobility, Evasion
lvl 7 = fast movement +10 ft.
lvl 8 = divine grace
lvl 7 = haste self 1/ week (1 round/2 lvls, self only)
lvl 9 = greater weapon focus
lvl 10 = imp critical, smite 2/day
lvl 11 = insightful flurry (if full-round attack, add Wis mod on dam)
lvl 12 = haste 2/week (1 round/2 lvls, self only)
lvl 13 = greater weapon specialization
lvl 13 = fast movement +20 ft.
lvl 14 = improved evasion
lvl 15 = withstand (use concentration as reflex save for AoE stuffs)
lvl 16 = haste 3/week (1 round/2 lvls, self only)
lvl 17 = instill (transfer bab to party members)
lvl 18 = combat focus (sanctuary on self)
lvl 19 = -
lvl 20 = freedom of movement 1/week (self), smite 3/day

Thanks for rating, if questions or comments, let me know ;)

Veklim
2014-01-31, 06:15 PM
Hrmmm....what you have here is an entirely unfinished class, by quite a way, unless you intended it to create pretty-much carbon copy characters...I'd maybe use it for medium level goons I guess...

erikun
2014-01-31, 06:28 PM
What kind of balance are you looking for? Compared to the existing Paladin and Monk? Compared to the Crusader?

Here's a table for you class levels, if you want to use it. Just quote my post and copy everything between the SPOILER tags. I noticed that you have two 7th levels and two 13th levels, for some reason.

{table]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special Abilities
1 | +1 | +2 | +2 | +2 | weapon focus, smite 1/day, power attack
2 | +2 | +3 | +3 | +3 | shield of swings (combat expertise basically)
3 | +3 | +3 | +3 | +3 | Dodge
4 | +4 | +4 | +4 | +4 | pushing assault (use -5 power attack to push target back 5 ft.)
5 | +5 | +4 | +4 | +4 | weapon specialzation
6 | +6 | +5 | +5 | +5 | Mobility, Evasion
7 | +7 | +5 | +5 | +5 | fast movement +10 ft.
8 | +8 | +6 | +6 | +6 | divine grace
7(?) | (?) | (?) | (?) | (?) | haste self 1/ week (1 round/2 lvls, self only)
9 | +9 | +6 | +6 | +6 | greater weapon focus
10 | +10 | +7 | +7 | +7 | imp critical, smite 2/day
11 | +11 | +7 | +7 | +7 | insightful flurry (if full-round attack, add Wis mod on dam)
12 | +12 | +8 | +8 | +8 | haste 2/week (1 round/2 lvls, self only)
13 | +13 | +8 | +8 | +8 | greater weapon specialization
13(?) | (?) | (?) | (?) | (?) | fast movement +20 ft.
14 | +14 | +9 | +9 | +9 | improved evasion
15 | +15 | +9 | +9 | +9 | withstand (use concentration as reflex save for AoE stuffs)
16 | +16 | +10 | +10 | +10 | haste 3/week (1 round/2 lvls, self only)
17 | +17 | +10 | +10 | +10 | instill (transfer bab to party members)
18 | +18 | +11 | +11 | +11 | combat focus (sanctuary on self)
19 | +19 | +11 | +11 | +11 | -
20 | +20 | +12 | +12 | +12 | freedom of movement 1/week (self), smite 3/day
[/table]

4 + INT skill points is pretty much the minimum you'd want to give a class, especially one that doesn't have an INT focus. If you're looking for a skill monkey sort of character, or even one that makes use of Hide/Move Silently/Tumble regularly, you might want to boost this number up a bit.

You'll want to give weapon proficiency to all simple and martial weapons along with the deity's favored weapon. Trust me, trying to fight with a whip or a dagger (or unarmed strikes, without the Monk's boosted damage) is pretty terrible.

Unarmored is an absolutely terrible position to be in for a character supposedly a frontline fighter. At low levels, they'll have terrible AC compared to someone who can just buy armor. At higher levels, their class gives no bonus to that either. The class also has NO benefit for Wisdom other than the AC buff, except finally adding WIS to damage... at 11th level.

Just to compare, this class with 18 DEX and 18 WIS has 18 AC; a character with 14 DEX and a Breastplate and a shield also has 18 AC. You're forcing this character into prioritizing DEX/WIS just to stay alive.

1/week abilities are kind of awkward, and don't really turn out that great. It's going to be the equivalent to 1/adventure, which is incredibly limiting to even something like a Barbarian, to say nothing of a Wizard. Freedom of Movement 1/week as a 20th level capstone is especially a joke, considering the Cleric gets the same ability daily at first level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#travelDomain).

Overall, what's the focus of this class? I think it would work a lot better if you gave it less abilities but really thought out how they would improve/be useful, rather than a large number of random abilities that don't work well together.

ShedShadow
2014-02-01, 07:08 AM
You are right, the double levels should be merged with the one above that.

Regarding the armor stuff, he does get the same as a monk, meaning that for every 5 lvls, he gets a +1 on armor, and the same advancement in movement speed for monk. Should I then add some armor improvements that increases per lvl?

It was supposed to be a sort of melee weapon monk, sort of like a blademaster idea, but I couldt find a blademaster class anywhere. I first was thinking of giving him a skirmish, fully utilizing his mobility and being a bitch all over the battlefield by pushing people back occasionaly and at the same time doing damage (at lvl 10 that could be a 1d8+24+wep magics per hit), but came to the realization that he shouldnt have skirmish because it was OP.

So finally I should turn all the /week into /day and give more cooperating abilities to the class?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
LVL BAB Ref Fort Will Class abilities
lvl 1 +1 +2 +2 +2 power attack, Weapon focus, Fast move +0, armor +0
lvl 2 +2 +3 +3 +3 Evasion
lvl 3 +3 +3 +3 +3 Still mind, Fast move +10
lvl 4 +4 +4 +4 +4 combat reflexes, weapon specialization, armor +1
lvl 5 +5 +4 +4 +4 purity of body
lvl 6 +6 +5 +5 +5 pushing assault(power attack to push back), Fast move +20
lvl 7 +7 +5 +5 +5 Wholeness of body, combat expertise
lvl 8 +8 +6 +6 +6 greater weapon focus, armor +2
lvl 9 +9 +6 +6 +6 improved evasion, Fast move +30
lvl 10 +10 +7 +7 +7 insightful flurry (WIS on dam)
lvl 11 +11 +7 +7 +7 diamond body
lvl 12 +12 +8 +8 +8 greater weapon specialization, Fast move+40, armor +3
lvl 13 +13 +8 +8 +8 diamond soul
lvl 14 +14 +9 +9 +9 Iron grip (2x STR on 2H wep)
lvl 15 +15 +9 +9 +9 Furious focus, Fast move +50
lvl 16 +16 +10 +10 +10 armor +4
lvl 17 +17 +10 +10 +10 timeless body
lvl 18 +18 +11 +11 +11 Combat will (1/round make enemy reroll attack), Fast move +60
lvl 19 +19 +11 +11 +11
lvl 20 +20 +12 +12 +12 perfect self, armor +5

erikun
2014-02-01, 06:08 PM
For armor, I would recommend doing what the Swordsage does. Give the class light armor proficiency, and grant the Wisdom-to-AC bonus (and bonus every four levels) while unarmored and in light armor. It means that they aren't completely left out at low levels, as Chain Shirt + DEX + WIS is actually a decent AC, but the character can still fight unarmored if desired.

I would also recommend a "Ki Strike" sort of bonus, that only applies with the deity's favored weapon. Pace it as the same rate as the armor bonuses: a +1 enhancement every four levels. The class is so in-tune with their deity that weilding their deity's weapon is literally magic for them.

If we wanted to follow the same logic, then granting the weapon a free Holy/Unholy/Axiomatic/Anarchic based on the deity's alignment would make sense. (The character chooses in the case of something like LG deity.) Also, some minor amount of damage reduction; DR 4/[opposite alignment] at 20th level is minor but a nice little flavor thing. There's the question of what to do with True Neutral deities, though.