PDA

View Full Version : Tivo!!!!

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-26, 01:12 PM
Do you own a TIVO or DVR and if so how much do you love them.

Tivo seriously changes your TV watching experience. Before TV you aimlessly channel surf hoping something worthwhile is on only to settle on something you don't really want to watch anyway. Or you rush home to watch a specific show or stay up late and run to the bathroom during commercial...

NO more with TIVO you almost never watch live TV you just look at the list of recorded stuff and pick something you KNOW you want to watch, and by fast forwarding through commercials 1 hour shows only take 40 minutes

At first I felt like I didn't need one thinking it was just a better VCR but it's not. The difference is more like going from a cassete player to an Ipod or something like that.

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-26, 02:50 PM
I don't own one but want to badly. my in laws have one and I love skipping commercials.

Wolf53226
2007-01-26, 02:52 PM
Love It!!!!!!

0wca
2007-01-26, 11:50 PM
I would SOOO get one of those! Endless comercials are the reason why I rarely watch TV. :smallsmile:

Lucky
2007-01-26, 11:57 PM
Darn right I want one. Forget skipping commercials, I'd tape the super bowl just for them!

Midnight Son
2007-01-26, 11:58 PM
Comcast apparently wants me to watch commercials, since their DVR doesn't come with a skip forward feature, but I'm just fine with fast forwarding through them. I have to say, DVR is just about the best invention in the last 10 years. I thought about sticking with my VCR when I got HDTV. Then I saw just how crappy VCR recordings really are. I love my DVR with it's computer hookup!

Don Julio Anejo
2007-01-27, 12:52 AM
I want one just so I don't have to keep asking friends to record stuff for me because my VCR is broken.

Soniku
2007-01-29, 11:51 AM
I don't have it but I have heard a lot of bad things about it. I can't remember the spesifics but there were definately some things about not being able to erase auto-set things to record and quite a few annoying glitches with haveing yourself somehow subscribed to every gardening program with seemingly no way to reverse it.

It probly isn't true, but my box does most of the things tivo does and I'm way too lazy to bother getting it just to avoid haveing to set multiple times for a series.

J_Muller
2007-01-29, 02:12 PM
I own the Time Warner Cable version of DVR. I'm watching more TV nowadays because I can just set it to record several episodes of Mythbusters and Law&Order. And not much else.

Golthur
2007-01-29, 03:28 PM
I have a custom-built TiVo-equivalent (http://www.mythtv.org).

I love it, and I'll never go back.

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-29, 04:18 PM
I don't have it but I have heard a lot of bad things about it. I can't remember the spesifics but there were definately some things about not being able to erase auto-set things to record and quite a few annoying glitches with haveing yourself somehow subscribed to every gardening program with seemingly no way to reverse it.

It probly isn't true, but my box does most of the things tivo does and I'm way too lazy to bother getting it just to avoid haveing to set multiple times for a series.

Ya that's odd. I've never heard of that, TIVO does record stuff for your when it isn't already recording something you've told it too. It tries to guess what you'll like based on what you watch, but these records are the first to be deleted when Tivo needs room to record your stuff. So it's not obtrusive to you and it actually does pretty well, I've found a couple of shows that I like from TIVO recomendations.

But what about the other 4 of you? What's your rational? Don't watch any TV or what?

Setra
2007-01-30, 05:10 AM
I find that I really do not care much for Tivo, because it's not worth it.

I only watch like 10 shows, tops.

Unwrapped, Modern Marvels, Mythbusters, Cinematech, X-play, Animal Planet's The Most Extreme, and a couple others I cannot think of currently.

The rest of what I watch is movies, and anime, for the most part I suppose I don't watch too much TV. I DO have a huge collection of DVDs though.

Aiani
2007-01-30, 05:22 AM
I have a Time Warner DVR and I love it so much. I love being able to fast forward through the commercials and always being able to watch my favorite shows without having to set up the recording feature every single time they comeon. This is especially helpful because I have odd sleeping hours so I miss prime time shows. The only bad thing I have found is that I seem to watch more TV now. Luckily I'm not into too many shows.

Om
2007-01-30, 09:02 AM
Is this the same as the Sky Plus box in the UK and Ireland?

slipnslide
2007-01-30, 11:45 AM
i cant imagine life without my DVR.

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-30, 02:25 PM
I find that I really do not care much for Tivo, because it's not worth it.

I only watch like 10 shows, tops.

Unwrapped, Modern Marvels, Mythbusters, Cinematech, X-play, Animal Planet's The Most Extreme, and a couple others I cannot think of currently.

The rest of what I watch is movies, and anime, for the most part I suppose I don't watch too much TV. I DO have a huge collection of DVDs though.

That's about all I watch too, a DVR is worth it just to be able to watch those shows whenever you want instead of having to schedule your day around your shows.

In fact we used to have 4 TV's in the house and once we got TIVO we couldn't stand watching live TV anymore and sold 3 of the TV's because we didn't need them anymore.

Setra
2007-01-30, 03:22 PM
That's about all I watch too, a DVR is worth it just to be able to watch those shows whenever you want instead of having to schedule your day around your shows.

In fact we used to have 4 TV's in the house and once we got TIVO we couldn't stand watching live TV anymore and sold 3 of the TV's because we didn't need them anymore.

No offense however, if you plan your days around your shows, then perhaps you watch too much TV.

I like those shows, but I won't bother making time to watch them, usually if I watch TV I just find something on I like, or I watch infomercials, I like those.

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-30, 03:28 PM
No offense however, if you plan your days around your shows, then perhaps you watch too much TV.

I like those shows, but I won't bother making time to watch them, usually if I watch TV I just find something on I like, or I watch infomercials, I like those.

I didn't schedule my days around shows and thus I'd always miss stuff I wanted to see but lots of people do.

Believe me however little or much you watch TV a DVR makes the experience much better. It's like adding an internet connection to your computer or like the difference between a VCR and a DVD player.

ravenkith
2007-01-31, 01:01 PM
Most of the time, I don't have a whole lot of free time to devote to the boob tube.

So I find the tivo/dvr invaluable. It lets me record what I want to see automatically, and watch it whenever I want, at my speed.

It's better than a VHS, because you never miss your favorite shows.