PDA

View Full Version : Miko thinks she's a PC?

Caractacus
2007-01-26, 08:12 PM
A question (no strings attached):

How many of you would feel that in a game, it would be reasonable for PCs to have been fed exactly the same information as Miko has, and for them to feel that they JUST made it to the throne room in time and managed to kill the leader in a typical heroic PC sort of way?

Please note, this is TOTALLY AND UTTERLY unrelated to anything to do with falling or turning Blackguard - what I'm wondering is whether we think that players get EXACTLY this kind of cryptic, built-up-over-ages kind of information and then have to race to the destination to save the day in front of impending doom ALL THE TIME.

I think they do.

I also think it's nice, because although some characters 'know' that they are NPCs, I think that major characters like Miko probably live in a PC world (no pun intended) and that this kind of heroics is all par for the course.

But what do YOU think? Hmmm?

Grey Watcher
2007-01-26, 08:27 PM
While I don't know if she'd put it in those terms, I do think Miko does believe that she has a duty to act, which is usually what the player characters in a game are encouraged to do, rather than sit back, report her information to someone else (say, the magistrates) and let them deal with (which would be more typical of an NPC). So, yes, Miko believes that she's been put in the right place at the right time to act decisively, which is exactly what most PCs do.

Khantalas
2007-01-26, 08:30 PM
Miko is a PC. Seriously, no NPC is that hot and gets that much screen-time.

Yeah, I made a desktop out of her. She gets a lot of screen-time.

Now kill me for that pun.

Twilight Jack
2007-01-26, 08:37 PM
Miko thinks she's a PC, which is why she's about to fall. If she's only an NPC, that makes the OotS (those despicable, selfish lowlives) the heroes. The only way for her to ensure her PC status is to prove them the villains of the story.

Iranon
2007-01-26, 08:46 PM
Interesting way of looking at it. Under your terms, she is either a Pc or an ungodly abomination whose very name should not even be whispered, deadlier than the Snarl and more disturbing than Redcloak in a sexy schoolgirl outfit. It usually lurks behind the veil that separates us from dimensions too depraved to ponder, but enters our world from time to time to wreak havoc to the plot and frustration to the players...

The munchkin character of a bad GM

Demented
2007-01-26, 09:02 PM
With a little exaggeration from Iranon... heh.

I don't think she thinks in terms of PC/NPC. In fact, of everyone in Azure City, we've only seen Shojo do that, where he refers to himself as having an NPC class. Even the blacksmith tries to describe a +5 enchantment in a more practical sense.

As it is, Miko is an NPC, a major NPC, but an NPC nonetheless.

nanaki626
2007-01-26, 09:06 PM
don't know whether she is PC or not, i tend to think no. what i do know is that nutjob needs to have a crapload of sense pounded into her, prefeably by Belkar

Caractacus
2007-01-26, 09:10 PM
With a little exaggeration from Iranon... heh.

I don't think she thinks in terms of PC/NPC. In fact, of everyone in Azure City, we've only seen Shojo do that, where he refers to himself as having an NPC class. Even the blacksmith tries to describe a +5 enchantment in a more practical sense.

As it is, Miko is an NPC, a major NPC, but an NPC nonetheless.

Of course she is, from our perspective. You're quite right. But the characters frequently break the fourth wall and Redcloak discusses being an NPC in the introduction to one of the books. I was thinking in a sort of 'Not in the real world of d20, but in the real world of Oots' way. As in, 'Ooh, look at the things that happen to me, look at my levels, look at my importance - I must be a PC! :smallsmile:

Naturally, this doesn't make sense as such, but in an Ootsy sort of way, I think it does. And of course, once you realise you're a PC, well, you know that all the bizarre coincidences and little pieces of the jigsaw puzzle really DO make sense and it's up to you to do what has to be done... :smallcool:

MReav
2007-01-26, 09:12 PM
I think she's a PC run on the Giant in the Playground's Azure City board. Her actions and reactions are copy and pasted on the Order of the Stick Board.

Meanwhile, Nale and crew of the Linear Guild Board pissed off the GM with their crappy roleplaying and incessant over-the-top evil shtick.

So both sides are PCs, but the Giant hasn't told either this and so they're both chafing at the lack of cooperation that the supposed NPCs are giving them.

Krystal_Tiger
2007-01-26, 09:40 PM
I dunno, i always thought of it like this:

Liner guild are PC's, playing with a DM on one side of the room.
Miko/other NPCs nearing PChood, in the middle, with a diffrent DM.
Order of the Stick: On the otherside of the side of the room, with, yes, another DM.
Meaningless NPCs are shared.

Anyway, I think that Miko THINKS that shes a PC...but isn't.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-01-26, 10:06 PM
I think that in the "stickverse" (or whatever you want to call it) PCs are a special class of people. Basically they hang out in taverns and take whatever job you offer them GPs and XPs for. They wander and chase down adventure hooks. An NPC refers to anyone who has what we'd call a real job. (And no, wandering minstrels and hobos aren't PCs. It only applies to people with adventuring class levels).

Basically, since she is rooted to a specific place and goal (Azure City, protecting Soon's gate) Miko is not a PC. Sure she goes on far-ranging quests for the Sapphire Guard, but she isn't out just "looking for adventure" the way a PC is. Remember that OOTS not only pokes fun at RAW, but at the conventions of a stereotypical D&D Campaign.

Oh crap, I think I outgeeked my maximum capacity... *overloads and dies*

Sage in the Playground
2007-01-26, 10:15 PM
I think that in the "stickverse" (or whatever you want to call it) PCs are a special class of people. Basically they hang out in taverns and take whatever job you offer them GPs and XPs for. They wander and chase down adventure hooks. An NPC refers to anyone who has what we'd call a real job. (And no, wandering minstrels and hobos aren't PCs. It only applies to people with adventuring class levels).

Basically, since she is rooted to a specific place and goal (Azure City, protecting Soon's gate) Miko is not a PC. Sure she goes on far-ranging quests for the Sapphire Guard, but she isn't out just "looking for adventure" the way a PC is. Remember that OOTS not only pokes fun at RAW, but at the conventions of a stereotypical D&D Campaign.

QFT... Or at least the truth I hope is right.

Demented
2007-01-26, 10:21 PM
Well, since we can't prove there are players involved, they may well all be NPCs. =P

TinSoldier
2007-01-26, 10:33 PM
Miko is an NPC. I don't believe she is aware of it though. That's why I couldn't vote in the poll. No appropriate choice.

She rarely uses OOC or metagame info, such as when she says, "What is this 'Japan' of which you speak?"

mikeejimbo
2007-01-26, 10:36 PM
I(And no, wandering minstrels and hobos aren't PCs. It only applies to people with adventuring class levels).

Unless the wandering minstrel is a Bard, of course.

Anyway, I say that she's a PC with a different DM. I in fact believe in the 3 DM theory, but would add another DM, who controls it all. The fourth DM created the world and plot, the sub-DMs just help run it. They also all have wireless Blackberries and they communicate results of rolls, actions, etc, to each other, so the characters can all interact without knowing that they're actually other PCs.

Koji
2007-01-26, 10:36 PM
Miko is played by an anime nerd that only gets to play every few weeks and is very into his or her character without being so into D&D itself.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-01-26, 10:50 PM
I think that while the members of the Order of the Stick are PCs, it has a very different meaning to them than you or I. Order of the Stick doesn't break the 4th Wall as often as people think; they simply understand that D&D 3.5 rules govern their universe and describe things accordingly.

The meta-layer imposed on top of this is that the characters (at least the OOTS) are occasionally aware they are characters in a comic strip. Not PCs in a D&D Campaign, characters in a comic strip. Think of them as payed actors, except when the story approaches a dramatic moment they are "absorbed" into the fiction.

....And now I've seriously got to give this a rest. The meta-meta-narrative of a D&D parody webcomic is just one of those forbidden levels of geekdom man was not meant to know...

Caractacus
2007-01-27, 01:34 PM

I agree with you to a degree. But I think that it's not unreasonable to believe that in the Stickverse there are also campaigns that involve knights and wizards working for a Lord that are sent on various missions, etc. They don't HAVE to wander around and get jobs by being in bars, it's just the most common cliché. If that was the ONLY way, they'd mention it in Fighter College as they give you your degree...

I am assuming that the Stickverse (let's pretend it exists) isn't centred ONLY on Oots and that there are other adventurers - we've seen some in On the Origin of PCs.

Oh, and I am certain she's an NPC. I'm just curious about whether other people agree that one interpretation is that she sees herself as a PC and that therefore things happen for a reason to her. (Then again, you are quite right about her not using non-game references).

Sesquedoodle
2007-01-27, 02:29 PM
In the real world, I would say that pretty much everyone believes themselves to be the 'main character' in their story. Whether the same holds true in the ootsverse, where the conventions of the genre appear to be widely known, remains to be seen.

Sisqui
2007-01-27, 08:48 PM
[quote=TinSoldier;1900291]Miko is an NPC. I don't believe she is aware of it though. That's why I couldn't vote in the poll. No appropriate choice.quote]

I agree. I don't think she ever violates the fourth wall like the PC's do either. I voted she thinks she is an NPC b/c that was the closest answer.

TinSoldier- I think this may be the first time we actually agreed on something!

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-27, 08:51 PM
My opinion; Miko know's she's an NPC, but is fed up with it, and wants to be a PC.

And Miko has broken the forth wall, I forget which strip it's in, but it was the line "Indeed, it took me nearly 80 strips to get here." I think it's 201.

Axl_Rose
2007-01-27, 10:05 PM
She must be cruel only to be kind.

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark...

mport2004
2007-01-27, 10:12 PM
Can you change from NPC to PC?

Senko
2007-01-28, 07:00 AM
I may have misunderstood the question but I don't think killing Shojo was justified. In fact the PC's in a game I ran were unable to enter the major cities of an entire country because they were wanted for murder in it and that was just a generic nameless merchant who got on their badside. Summarily killing your head of state without trial or solid evidence is going to turn every loyal officer both to him and to the laws against you. In a case like Miko's where he's also your legal ruler and commander its even worse there is no way I can summary executions of superior officers/leaders as part of any "good" legal system.

Dalenthas
2007-01-28, 05:35 PM
According to Redcloak's definition of a PC in the intro to "On the Origin of PCs", Miko sure acts like she's a PC. However, I'm fairly sure it's all in her head... further proof of her insanity.

Thexare Blademoon
2007-01-28, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I made a desktop out of her. She gets a lot of screen-time.

Now kill me for that pun.
Before I do, I'm actually somewhat curious as to what that desktop looks like.

Anyway, it's probably one of the last two, either she thinks she is (well, not thinking "I am a PC", but rather thinking like a PC would) or she actually is one.

mport2004
2007-01-28, 07:13 PM
I'm actually somewhat curious as to what that desktop looks like.

Me too

Mika
2007-01-28, 07:34 PM
You know, this is going to be one of those arguments where you can't disagree or agree with either side, for the simple reason that all the arguements are valid.

Frankly, I think she's an NPC- perhaps a bit too knowledgable about the world of PCs, so wants to join them.

skreweded
2007-01-28, 07:41 PM
I voted IS.

Not because I think she is, but it would be so damn cool.

Whats weird is that I hate her, but that would be cool.:smallbiggrin:

Edit: but the above would be cool too!

Steward
2007-01-28, 08:22 PM
She thinks she's a PC. She thinks that she a;ways knows how decide what's good and evil at all times, which is a trait that only PCs can have and get away with for a long, long time. I'm not sure if she is one, but she probably thinks that she is anyway.