PDA

View Full Version : Belkar, you sad, sad little halfling...

Athelian
2007-01-27, 11:21 AM
*Spoilers. Not very important spoilers, but spoilers non the less.*

In the latest strip where our own local lunatic, Miko, cleaves Shojo, and more importantly, Shojo's rockin' chair, meaning the vernacular adjective, not an actual rocking chair, Belkar says, "She wouldn't..." In what appears to be soft, even concerned tones. I think, that in the next few strips, it will be revealed to say that... He doesn't give a damn about Shojo's life, but more along the lines... Miko just lost her Paladinian powers, NOT at his hands, but indeed, at the hands of Shojo, a feat he desperatley wanted to perform.

A tear shed for the devil halfling... And Shojo's awesome chair.

BardicLasher
2007-01-27, 01:04 PM
Thatis... really... REALLY funny.

Zephra
2007-01-27, 03:40 PM
Interesting. I didn't think that it was a 'soft concirned voice' as much as it was a incredulous voice. more along the lines of 'she wouldn't dare' or 'that's the kind of thing I would do!'
I think he's happy if she loses her powers no matter what, but yours is plausable too. maybe he will even help her fight

Athelian
2007-01-27, 03:43 PM
Concerned was the wrong word, and if it was concern, I would say it would be about Shojo, not Miko. He wants her dead. I'm just saying that he wanted the prestige of making her forsake her Paladin vow.

Charles Phipps
2007-01-27, 03:44 PM
I think that Belkar used Miko as a standard for all of his evil. He's allowed to be evil because Good Sucks.

Miko's actions screw with his worldview.

ElfLad
2007-01-27, 03:48 PM
Miko is Belkar's new role model. That must hurt for him. And her.

Wiione
2007-01-27, 03:52 PM
Lord Shojo was his idol.

CrossP
2007-01-27, 04:54 PM
I read it as betting with himself. Like when you mutter "he'll never make that jump" under your breath. I doubt that Belkar has gained any respect for Miko at all. I think he knew what was coming well before either Roy, Shojo, or Hinjo knew it.

It seems like evil acts performed in the name of good would disgust him more than anything. Belkar is very straight-forward about his selfishness and malice. I don't think a zealot could really appeal to him. Of course, this theory assumes that he has a perfectly functional, sapient mind.

If V is right about Belkar, then it is entirely possible that witnessing such an act would switch her from hate to sex in his boolean judgement.

What about self-preservation? The fact that Shojo is just about the only one who could and would get rid of his curse/geas is probably on his mind.

Demented
2007-01-27, 05:01 PM
V is almost certainly not right. The entire theory was based on one drunken act.
That said, his ensuing affection (it's inevitable) is going to be fuel for V's fire.

And Shojo isn't the one who cast the mark, so Belkar has only lost his idol, not someone actually important. And as much of a spectacle as Miko made, I doubt Belkar could imagine Shojo ending in a better way.

Kjata
2007-01-27, 05:13 PM
Look, im getting tired of reading "Shojo was his idol". He said that like you would say it if someone did something really, really, really cool. I say that a lot. Ussually, that is the only thing of any value said person has ever done. Same with Belkar. He prollydoesn't like Shojo. Just liked ONE thing he did.

CrossP
2007-01-27, 05:25 PM
What I meant is that Belkar certainly can't command the clerics who cast the mark. He knows Hinjo won't do it for him. Of the top of his head, Xykon and redcloak are the only people he knows who might be able to solve the problem. Shojo would likely have had it reversed if the OotS succeeded in their mission.

I know Belkar isn't dumb. And since Belkar played no part in the direct murder or the manipulating that caused it, he probably finds little joy in Shojo's death.

Demented
2007-01-27, 06:42 PM
Durkon, even Elan, should be able to remove the curse. They wouldn't, because they prefer a safer, nicer Belkar, but if push comes to shove, it's on the list of options.

Remove Curse would work if the casting Cleric was lower level than Durkon or Elan. Otherwise they could use Break Enchantment. Elan would have a little more difficulty, since he would have to know the spells in order to cast them, but Durkon is capable of casting any of those spells.

CrossP
2007-01-27, 07:03 PM
Wouldn't break enchantment neccesitate the party leveling for a while, though?

Demented
2007-01-27, 07:17 PM
Not according to the Geekery thread, which says that Durkon is level 13. Not unbelievable given the FAQ says they're 7-9 levels in, and they've leveled twice since. (strip 12, then strip 124)

If Shojo has access to a level 20 Cleric, Durkon would need to roll a 19 (19 + 13 to beat 11+20) though, which could take a few days of casting.