PDA

View Full Version : What's your motto?

Pages : [1] 2

Zephra
2007-01-27, 10:14 PM
Just curious...:smallredface:

here's mine: Insons Vita Super Totus Alius
(that's propably horrible latin grammar)

ZombieRockStar
2007-01-27, 10:46 PM
Hmmm...

Something along the lines of: "Know yourself." Only without the pretentiousness and maybe a little more wit. I'll think of something.

EDIT: How about this - You are really the only thing you can completely know, so get to know yourself.

Alarra
2007-01-27, 10:46 PM
Because nice matters.

Flabbicus
2007-01-27, 10:48 PM
Lovingly Ripped off from Monty Python's Spamalot

You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing.
What have you lost? Nothing!

Brickwall
2007-01-27, 11:00 PM
Hmm...I'm not really sure that I have one motto. Still, I have a general one like this.

"Life is like a fortune cookie: If you eat the cookie first, you may regret it once you find wisdom. If you find wisdom first, you may miss out on a great cookie."

Nevrmore
2007-01-27, 11:24 PM
"Life is like a whole lot of sharp, rusty forks - Completely useless, but fun to throw at children."

NEO|Phyte
2007-01-27, 11:28 PM
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-27, 11:32 PM
My motto?

"Kill what you want, but make a spectacular corpse and have fun with it."

Either that or "Go with it, but be smart."

Sugarmouse
2007-01-28, 12:47 AM
You can rest when you are dead.

Lucky
2007-01-28, 12:52 AM
Mine involves the use of my last name, which, considering you know my location and first name. I'm not comfortable giving out with stalkers like Alarra on these boards.

Well, that one, and my nice simple one: "Don't be stupid."

Seriously folks, just don't.

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-28, 01:01 AM
Shamelessly ripped off from the WH40K universe...

"Those who seek perfection will find no rest this side of the grave."

Alarra
2007-01-28, 01:04 AM
Mine involves the use of my last name, which, considering you know my location and first name. I'm not comfortable giving out with stalkers like Alarra on these boards.

Well, that one, and my nice simple one: "Don't be stupid."

Seriously folks, just don't.

It's not stalking! I just...umm....I like the begonias that grow on your street....that's it.....:smalltongue:

Amotis
2007-01-28, 01:11 AM
"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger."

Lord Magtok
2007-01-28, 01:21 AM
The Sith motto for me. "Power denied is power wasted!"

Mauril Everleaf
2007-01-28, 02:22 AM
"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger."Or almost kills you :smallwink:

I either use the one in my sig (the one with all the v's) or this one:
"Live as if there will always be a tomorrow, but if there wasn't, you'd be fine with that."

Portent
2007-01-28, 02:37 AM
Acknowledge the past, live the present, plan for the future.

Granted, I have a terrible memory and I'm a pretty aloof fellow, so I more often than not don't actually follow the above.

Sun Tzu's The Art of War is a great repository for wisdom. The whole thing's great, really, but my favorite saying comes from a commentator speaking of Zhang Liang's Ruse of the Empty City and its hallmark quote: "If I do not wish to engage, I can hold my ground with nothing more than a line drawn around it." While the original intent of the full saying refers to deception, to me (especially as I have not read Romance of the Three Kingdoms), refers to being being able to survive regardless of an enemy's assault and my own defenses; "a line drawn around it."

Highly recommend John Minford's translation of The Art of War. It has the English translation in the first half, and the second half has the text, in addition to commentators both ancient and modern, and gives context to some of the sayings in the text.

Art of War so should have been declared a Classic...

InaVegt
2007-01-28, 02:59 AM
The world's a bad place to be, might as well live like it.

Jibar
2007-01-28, 03:19 AM
When life gives you lemons, squeeze out the juice and throw in the moron's eyes. Stupid jerk giving me lemons...

Or,
Nothing but a Nobody.
Got it memorised?

Totally Guy
2007-01-28, 03:28 AM
"I'm participating!"

Adlan
2007-01-28, 03:36 AM
I am what I am, Thats all that I am.

Grim Greyscale
2007-01-28, 03:37 AM
When life gives you lemons, squeeze out the juice and throw in the moron's eyes.

No, no, NO! It's:

When life gives you lemons, monopolize the lemon market.

Duh.

Nevrmore
2007-01-28, 03:43 AM
When life gives you lemons, squeeze out the juice and throw in the moron's eyes. Stupid jerk giving me lemons...

Or,
Nothing but a Nobody.
Got it memorised?
The way I heard it was:

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then, track down life, pin his ass to the ground, and pour the lemonade in the bastard's eyes and scream "THAT'S FOR THROWING CRAP AT ME YOU ASS!"

Or, an alternate version is:

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then, find someone whose life is giving them vodka and have a party.

Dragor
2007-01-28, 04:22 AM
"The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones."

Damn Civ 4.

Glaivemaster
2007-01-28, 04:37 AM
Hmm, something along the lines of "Life, meh"

Probably something more like "Live how you want, and forget the crap"

TheAnimal
2007-01-28, 04:51 AM
No, no, no. The proper ending is "hurts like <boop>".

Oh, my motto?
"Common sense saves you many a trouble." or something along those lines.
At times, I'd go with Monty Python: "Life's full of <boop>, when you look at it..."

Midnight Son
2007-01-28, 04:53 AM
I have a couple:

Never date a woman who's wearing spurs.

I'm not who I think I am.
I'm not who you think I am.
I am who I think you think I am.

And, from many years working in customer service jobs...

Humans are stupid.

Oh, and that one in my sig.

InaVegt
2007-01-28, 04:54 AM
Humans are stupid.

You serious?

TheAnimal
2007-01-28, 04:56 AM
^It's a fact. Sad but true.

Destro_Yersul
2007-01-28, 04:59 AM
I've got a couple. My personal favourite:

He who dies with the most toys is still dead.

And another I like.

If you can't have fun living, why bother?

Krursk
2007-01-28, 04:59 AM
When in doubt, go left

Shadow of the Sun
2007-01-28, 05:05 AM
I do not really have a motto- but if I had to have one, it would be along the lines of "The universe is a bastard, so do everything you can to spite it" which matches my theory that if something makes you sad, go out of your way to be happy to flip the bird at whatever wanted to make you sad.

Zaggab
2007-01-28, 05:06 AM
I don't really know what my motto is, but I sometimes go by: "Don't take more turns than absolutely necessary".

Example: You have 6 glasses, 2 bowls, 2 bags of snacks, a movie and 3 bottles of coke. You probably should go two times, each time taking half og the things, or get a friend to help you. However, you can take it all at once by your self. Therefor it's your obligation to do so.

Edit: Oh, and the "Never argue with a fool. He will just drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." from my sig.

Midnight Son
2007-01-28, 05:06 AM
You serious?
When the customer asks if you sell cigarettes while looking at you and the cigarettes are right behind you, you tend to lose a bit of faith in humanity.

When the customer asks for the price of beer, then complains that they can get it cheaper down the street, then buys it anyway, I want to smack them upside the head.

When a customer complains that their bank statement is off a penny in their favor, I get a very strong urge to go get my knives. (Seriously...He took time out of his day to make a trip to the bank just for said complaint.)

Those are all past jobs. I won't even go into what I deal with now.

potatocubed
2007-01-28, 05:11 AM
"Most things really aren't important."

InaVegt
2007-01-28, 05:12 AM
Some people's sarcasm detecter apparently failed here.

Jibar
2007-01-28, 05:18 AM
When in doubt, go left

Damn, I forgot that one.
It works though, doesn't it?

Timberwolf
2007-01-28, 05:39 AM
I don't have a motto but I do have a few things which I try to live my life by, they just don't have a punchy little thing that'll make them a motto.

Make no promises you cannot keep, keep the ones you make
Carry your own bag, if you make it, you deal with it
And, from looking at Midnight Sons motto, I've been reminded of my own criteria for a suitable girlfriend. never date a girl who can drink more than you, is stronger than you and is more heavily armed than you. Linky for example. http://http://www.dominic-deegan.com/view.php?date=2005-07-22

Winter_Wolf
2007-01-28, 07:03 AM
How about, "Don't tempt me"? Actually I don't have a motto that I'm aware of. "If cheaters never prosper, then why I am I doing so well?"

I got nothin'.

Zephra
2007-01-28, 09:45 AM
When the customer asks if you sell cigarettes while looking at you and the cigarettes are right behind you, you tend to lose a bit of faith in humanity.

When the customer asks for the price of beer, then complains that they can get it cheaper down the street, then buys it anyway, I want to smack them upside the head.

When a customer complains that their bank statement is off a penny in their favor, I get a very strong urge to go get my knives. (Seriously...He took time out of his day to make a trip to the bank just for said complaint.)

Those are all past jobs. I won't even go into what I deal with now.

that, and when you're working at wendys, and they ask for a mcflurry, or a soda (what kind of soda moron) or any number of other things

Maxymiuk
2007-01-28, 09:54 AM
"Life happens" reminds me to stop taking it so personally when something goes wrong again.

"To be heard you need to speak" is for all those times when all it would take to stop something you don't like would be to speak out against it, but you're likely refrain from doing so by being afraid for your social status, inclined to consider it not such a big deal, or simply because of shyness.

DarkLightDragon
2007-01-28, 09:55 AM
I have two I usually keep in mind:

"Better safe then sorry."
"What they don't know won't hurt them."

There's some more I've thought up but can't remember right now.

I also haven't read the entire thread, so sorry if there's something here that's already been said.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-01-28, 09:58 AM
Another I use that sums up my entire personal philosophy: "It is better to be tried by twelve men than to be carried by six."

And my one grand rule- "Don't be an arse." If I got in power I would institute an anti-****hole act.

Exachix
2007-01-28, 10:15 AM
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then, find someone whose life is giving them vodka and have a party.

Or;
When life gives you lemons, a pitcher, ice, a juicer, and glasses, make lemonade.

My motto I stole =):
"Never give up, never surrender."
That or:
"Life isn't fair, anyone who says otherwise is selling something."

Althouhg I wouldn't class the second as a motto really, just a saying =).

Xerillum
2007-01-28, 10:37 AM
To heck with dietary guidelines, It tastes good, doesn't it?

Hephaestus
2007-01-28, 10:41 AM
Bring a towel.

I can't stress how often I wish I had a towel to help me with the task at hand.

PhoeKun
2007-01-28, 10:56 AM
You people seem to be dancing around the true proverb regarding lemons. Allow me to enlighten you:

When life gives you lemons, do not make lemonade. And for gods' sakes, don't throw them at someone. Instead, think. Think long and hard about what you did to get these lemons. Because if you can get an abstract concept like Life to give you real, physical lemons, you're one step away from the secrets of the universe.

Not as elegant, I know, but far more true. And let us not forget "Pain is weakness leaving the body."

Vespe Ratavo
2007-01-28, 11:01 AM
Hmm...I've got a few. Including another lemon saying.

"When life gives you lemons, beat life in the eye with the lemon, kick him to the ground and go into a barbarian rage."
"Febreeze, Duct tape, chocolate and a gun! If they can't do it, it can't be done!"
"*Anything from a Billy Joel song*"
"Life is too short for boredom/mean people/diets etc."

I'm sure I have some more...whats the word...philosophical ones. But I can't remember them right now.

Kabroth Ironmaw
2007-01-28, 11:02 AM
"Get used to not getting anywhere - it's all a part of being human."

Maxymiuk
2007-01-28, 11:06 AM
When life gives you lemons, do not make lemonade. And for gods' sakes, don't throw them at someone. Instead, think. Think long and hard about what you did to get these lemons. Because if you can get an abstract concept like Life to give you real, physical lemons, you're one step away from the secrets of the universe.

Awesome.

Sigg'd.

TheThan
2007-01-28, 12:28 PM
My motto would probably be,

“There’s no problem that can’t be overcome without the proper application of high explosives.”

And I shall quote Ron white,

-“You can’t fix stupid”

I’m thinking of adopting that one…

Amotis
2007-01-28, 12:31 PM
Sure you can, it just invovles a cage and a gag.

TheThan
2007-01-28, 12:40 PM
Sure you can, it just invovles a cage and a gag.

haha, that just made my day.

Setra
2007-01-28, 01:06 PM
"No endeavor can truly be called failed... if it involves beating an Otaku" well not my life motto but I like that one.

My true motto would probably be something like this "All humans have the right to knowledge, those who do not have or seek knowledge, should be ended"

Ceska
2007-01-28, 01:06 PM
"I will work harder." (Guess where that comes from? But no, not really)

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2007-01-28, 01:27 PM
"The Last Minute is Our Finest Hour"

Xerillum
2007-01-28, 01:55 PM
Everything can be solved with tape (scotch and duct), super glue, and explosives.

Even war! (duct tape the enemy together, and drop explosives in!)

fryer1
2007-01-28, 02:03 PM
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter
Probably a pretty common joke, but a good one all the same, and by the way, it's not really my motto. I can't say that i have one to be honest.
Maybe The Writing's on the wall, too bad i'm illiterate.

WampaX
2007-01-28, 02:06 PM
"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive." - Bugs Bunny

Bookman
2007-01-28, 02:10 PM
And here I thought it'd be something along the lines of "Jedi aren't good for your digestion"

:wink:

I don't personally have a single motto.

But "Life sucks and then You die" is a favorite. though not always true :wink:

Amotis
2007-01-28, 07:18 PM
None of you pessimists are quoting Woody Allen? For shame...

Setra
2007-01-28, 07:23 PM
Another quote I like is...

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry... it gets worse from there"

The Dirge
2007-01-28, 07:24 PM
Mine is: If someone leaves something in a position in which it can be stolen, then it is their fault if it is stolen.

Amotis
2007-01-28, 07:26 PM
That's a pretty limited motto.

Trog
2007-01-28, 08:27 PM
I do not have one all encompassing motto. Life is too complex for that much simplification. But I like these sayings and I see the wisdom in them.

"When making your choice in life, do not neglect to live." - Samuel Johnson
"How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but someone." - Coco Chanel
"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought." - Basho
Be master of mind rather than mastered by mind. - Zen saying

The Dirge
2007-01-28, 08:32 PM
That's a pretty limited motto.

You'd be surprised how often it applys.

Jack Squat
2007-01-28, 09:30 PM

Same here

Looney Toons fans UNITE!!!

Lorith
2007-01-29, 07:45 AM
There are actually several quotes that I like...
... the afore mentioned Bugs Bunny quote and
"Remember, you are smarter than you think, you are stronger than you seem, and you are braver than you believe and if ever there is a time when we are apart, I will always be with you" A. A. Miles from Pooh's Grand Adventure

ghost_warlock
2007-01-29, 09:51 AM
I guess I've got a few...

"If you knew about it, and could've done something to prevent it, don't whine about it later."
"Keep It Simple, Stupid" (a classic).
"Don't rely on other people to maintain your self-esteem. It's your happiness that's at stake, not theirs."
"Where ever you are, be there."
"Like everything else, happiness sometimes takes work to maintain."
"Be content with yourself exactly as you are, but never stop learning."
"No <person> is a island."

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-29, 10:07 AM
I'll have to think of my own personal one, but for now here are a few from other folks that apply to me:

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Knowledge is limited.
Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

People are basically good, to whom honor, courage and virtue mean everything. Power and money means nothing. Good always triumphs over evil, and love, true love, never dies.
It doesn't matter if its true, a man should believe in those things. - Hub, Secondhand Lions

One man's creativity is another's brain damage - Roland Fischer

Life is tough. Life is tougher if you're stupid - John Wayne

"My whole life I have lived by a code.. that code is simple. Honor God, Love your Woman, and Defend your Country!"
- Hector of Troy

A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men... - Willy Wonka

Penguinizer
2007-01-29, 10:59 AM
I have no single motto.

Some would be:

If asked a question, its sometimes better not to answer.

There are times to take risks, and times to play it safe.

All your base are belong to me.

Veg Sorbet
2007-01-29, 12:04 PM
"Morning isn't a time of day, its a form of torture"

Seriously, though, I don't really have one, unless "never turn down a free meal" counts...

Gorbad the Limb Rippa
2007-01-29, 01:08 PM
I have a few.but the ones i currently remember are:
Thats life,
When in doubt,go the right way

Max Graeves
2007-01-29, 01:56 PM
"No Worries"
That works for me as both as response, and how I try to view life.

ozymand1as
2007-01-29, 09:33 PM
And thy geeks and nerds fueled by Linux and a 6-pack of Bawls (real energy drink, just Google it) will rise from the ashes of humiliation by society and take over the world!!!

(its just the long version of my signature)

Fat Daddy
2007-01-29, 09:52 PM
Don't know that it is actually my personal motto, but VT got me thinking of a favorite quote by Albert Einstein. Keep in mind that I work in R&D...

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research would it?" -Albert Einstein.

I guess if I had to come up with a personal motto on the spot it would be something along the lines of...

"My god, my wife, and my daughters love me... what makes you think your opinion of me really matters?"

Cult_of_the_Raven
2007-01-29, 10:10 PM
other than mors morti,

everything in moderation, including moderation.
- has always been my motto.

Deepblue706
2007-01-29, 10:14 PM
"Don't Panic"

Amotis
2007-01-29, 10:16 PM
I notice there's a lot of panicing in the books and movies though...huh.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-29, 10:17 PM
Well, if we're going Latin, I'd have to say Justitia fortitudo mea est. Which is quite proper Latin grammar, thank you. :smalltongue:

J_Muller
2007-01-29, 11:51 PM
I'd have to say...

Always look on the bright side of life...

because I seem to be the kind of person who's confident that in the end, everything will work out.

Penguinizer
2007-01-30, 12:35 AM
You must always know, where your towel is.

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-30, 12:43 AM
OH YEAH! I forgot another motto of mine.

If at first you dont succeed, use more duct tape!

magic8BALL
2007-01-30, 12:45 AM
I have a few...

"Go hard or go home."

"Anything can be fixed with WD-40, number 9 wire, pantyhoes, solder and/or duct tape"

"Food. Air. Warm."

(see below)

Chaotic Bob
2007-01-30, 01:07 AM
Life WILL screw you over, so get a life jacket and go with the tides.

There's mine.

AtomicKitKat
2007-01-30, 01:17 AM
Being immortal means you should make things happen at yourpace.

Chaotic Bob
2007-01-30, 02:38 AM
^ Huh, and I always thought you should do as much as possible just to prove a point to all the slow and steady people.

Don Julio Anejo
2007-01-30, 03:02 AM
Not really my motto but my observation about life:

Success in life is related to honesty and decency. If you lack those qualities, you're guaranteed to succeed.

This one is closer to my motto:

A pessimist sees a long tunnel.
An optimist sees light at the end of the tunnel.
A realist sees a train heading towards them.
A machinist (another word for engineer) sees three idiots standing on the tracks.

And this one probably is my motto:

The only thing worse than biting on an apple and finding a worm inside is biting on an apple and finding half a worm inside.

Adlan
2007-01-30, 04:26 AM
If you Can't do somthing smart, do somthing right.

ittybittykitty
2007-01-30, 04:36 AM
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby, you can be the director of the opponent's fate. - Sun-Tzu

-and-

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment. - Buddha

Setra
2007-01-30, 04:49 AM
I know this is off topic but, I used to have a cat named Itty Bitty

We actually called her Ittybittykitty rather often.

AdrianoIank
2007-01-30, 05:25 AM
"When in doubt, overkill."

Destro_Yersul
2007-01-30, 05:38 AM
A few more. Schlock Mercenary and The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates is quite good. You should check them out. But I'm not listing them here. Now then, on with the cool mottos!

Live as if each day were your last.

Only two things in life are infinite: The universe, and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

Memento Mori

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt - Abe Lincoln

On the plains of hesitation are bleached the bones of those who, with the dawn of victory in sight, sat down and waited, and in waiting died. - Anon

The past is gone. The future is uncertain. What will you do with today?

Forty-Two.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-01-30, 06:45 AM
Another one I use is a modified form of the purple quote in my sig (I am actually quoting myself in that)- "Live life to the fullest and burn out so brightly that your image is forever imprinted on the retina of history."

agentx42
2007-01-31, 09:42 PM
"Not in the face! I'm a bleeder!"

SDF
2007-01-31, 10:39 PM
"I didn't sell out, I bought in."

ZombieRockStar
2007-01-31, 11:01 PM
Just found a new one:

"The imagination is not a State: it is the Human existence itself."
— William Blake

Evil_Rant
2007-01-31, 11:48 PM
I personally like "The closer you get to the light, the longer your shadow becomes". Ah, Kindgom Hearts, you taught me well.

Archonic Energy
2007-02-01, 09:04 AM
if at first you don't suceed. wait till you have 8 carriers.

TheAnimal
2007-02-01, 11:14 AM
"Life, meh"

"What is this 'life' you speak of? :smallconfused: "

I think lt. commander Ivanova was right:
"No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow."

bosssmiley
2007-02-01, 11:38 AM
Mine are a couple from old school "WH40K: Rogue Trader":

"The truth is too important to waste on every fool who asks."
or
"Only the insane have the strength to prosper. Only those who prosper judge truly what is sane."

I also like Pharaoh Seti's: "Can't take it with you when you go, eh? Watch me!"

B-Man
2007-02-01, 01:22 PM
"Only death can cure stupidity." - Hotaru, Samurai Deeper Kyo

...not so much my motto, but it really does apply to the real world... some how...
* shrugs and looks around the room *

...why are you all staring at me like that?

Scorpina
2007-02-01, 01:26 PM
"Don't talk to me about life..."

Andiamo
2007-02-01, 01:59 PM
It doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you look cool doing it. lol.

TheThan
2007-02-01, 02:38 PM
" commander Ivanova was right:
"No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow."

Ivanova was one of my favorite Babylon five characters, I'd quote her myself but my brain just farted out. So instead I'm going to offer some famous quotes instead.

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

“ Never rush a miracle man, you rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles”
-Miracle Max, the princess bride

“Today we may say aloud before an awe-struck world: "We are still masters of our fate. We are still captain of our souls."
-Winston Churchill

“There is no substitute for victory.”
-General Douglas MacArthur

"With ignorance and arrogance, success is assured"
-Mark Twain

“Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom.”
-General George S. Patton, Jr.

slipnslide
2007-02-01, 04:30 PM
live free or die....

oh wait..that's new hampshire's actually...

Darius Midnite
2007-02-01, 04:36 PM
My main one would be "Take it as it comes, and live in the now"

Teal Kuinshi
2007-02-01, 04:40 PM
I accept what you believe in, as long as you don't try and shove it down my throat...

Daedrous Avari
2007-02-01, 04:41 PM
Hate the sin, love the sinner.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-02-01, 05:24 PM
"Most of you may think that my way of life is wrong and that what I think is wrong...but that's no excuse to stop thinking."

Aeyamar
2007-02-01, 05:31 PM
See my sig.

Zeke
2007-02-01, 09:59 PM
I do what I want to do
when I want to do it
and how I want to do it
(unless it's politically incorrect):smallamused:

Zeke
2007-02-01, 10:01 PM
I accept what you believe in, as long as you don't try and shove it down my throat...

Good One:smallwink:

Adlan
2007-02-02, 06:51 AM
In a time of Darkness, look to a Blind man for guidance.
In a Time of Madness, look to a Madman for leadership.

Evil_Pacifist
2007-02-02, 08:25 AM
Hmm... I can't decide between "When in doubt, set something on fire" or "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines".

Leush
2007-02-02, 08:31 AM
So many people here speak against sleep... It makes me sad... So here's one for the sleepless.

"Sleep, the life of each new day."
~Macbeth, Shakespeake.

EmptyH
2007-02-02, 09:49 AM

I always liked the varient "That which does not kill me weakens me for that which will"

MTH

Rose Fox
2007-02-02, 10:23 AM
A motto I like is "Non timetis messor"

And from the Tick, though it's not really a motto more a thought for life:

"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. "

Dragonrider
2007-02-03, 08:49 PM
"Eat your tulips...they're good for you."

"There are times when one moment you're on top of the world, and the next, it's squashing you."

:smallbiggrin:

I only say the first because I don't have any tulips in my garden, and thus can't be harmed by it; the second, because I noticed after a while that it was the story of my life. Those are my two originals; the following two were stolen from other people, namely, my art teacher and my friend Shaena:

"Life is like a roll of toilet paper--the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes."

" 'I'm mature' is just another way of saying 'immature'."

OK, maybe those don't count as mottos--but the last two are darn clever :smallbiggrin: I don't generally go for profound quotes...funny is much better. Unless it's a "squashing moment", and then I can't look at anything funny, I just want to go to sleep for 12 hours and wake up happy.

Edit: If you could read my sig, then you'd know what I REALLY live my life by.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-03, 09:27 PM
I have a variation on the "Life is like a roll of toilet paper" thing...

Life is like climbing a tree. You keep getting better at it, but eventually you fall off.

Zeke
2007-02-03, 09:39 PM
When life gives you lemons.
Give the lemons to charity.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-03, 10:05 PM
One that fits me very well: "I don't have an inner child, I have an outer adult."

Ceska
2007-02-04, 06:27 AM
I have many, but this one always stays important for me: "The intention has no impact on an action, only on the reaction."

Lu-Tzao
2007-02-04, 06:31 AM
I have several, one is borrowed from the discworld novels

"Stercus Stercus Morteus Sum" (Not going to translate it)

"Wasn't me"

and "Vraiment monsieur l'argent, il visage etait comme ca quand nous recontre" That is probably horrible grammar, but it means "Honestly officer, his face was like that when I met him" (roughly anyway)

starwoof
2007-02-04, 06:37 AM
Mine is probably something like:

"Quit whining, you'll live."

My dad used to tell me that all the time when I got hurt when I was a kid. Basically it means quit dwelling on the past or what you can't change and get on with your life. Thats not how he meant it but thats how I take it now. :smallbiggrin:

Green Bean
2007-02-04, 06:38 AM
"Never trust a cat with orange eyebrows"

wowy319
2007-02-04, 06:43 AM
Don't tempt fate.

Daishi
2007-02-04, 08:08 AM
Heh. My motto is χρήματα is ευτυχία , και ευτυχία is χρήματα. Thank god for google. The google part isn't my motto, its the Greek part. I just said thank god for google as a hint.

Mr. Moon
2007-02-04, 02:19 PM
"Be who you are and say what you feel
becuase those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."

Dr. Seuss said that. I think it's good advice.

Why do today what you can do tommarow?
Work may pay off in the futer, but lazieness pays off now.

"Give me liberty or give me death!" Can't remember who said that, but I'm sure he was pretty important.

Jack Squat
2007-02-04, 06:03 PM
"Give me liberty or give me death!" Can't remember who said that, but I'm sure he was pretty important.

The history buff in me just died. Patrick Henry said that. I'll spare you all the boring details of when and where and just say it was before we made England leave us alone.

Athenodorus
2007-02-04, 07:56 PM
Tenacity. Audacity. Empathy.

...assuming I ever manage to live up to those ideals. Which I don't quite yet. :P

Xanra
2007-02-04, 08:44 PM
"if you think you can, or you think you cant, you are right."

Sisqui
2007-02-04, 10:18 PM
Don't hate others for succeeding at what you failed even to try.....

Zephra
2007-02-05, 12:57 PM
χρήματα is ευτυχία , και ευτυχία is χρήματα

money is happiness, and happiness is money

that's not mine, i just translated it.

Ganjuu-kun
2007-02-05, 01:38 PM
"No matter where you are, doom will always find you"

Telonius
2007-02-05, 01:44 PM
Ancora imparo.

Artega
2007-02-05, 01:53 PM
Nothing to be done. (first line of Waiting for Godot)

Om
2007-02-05, 04:21 PM
F*ck 'em if they can't take a joke

seventhsamurai
2007-02-05, 06:37 PM
CYNIC: n A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.

Tarnag40k
2007-02-05, 06:38 PM
Don't look back....

...you might hit something.

Charity
2007-02-05, 06:50 PM
When life gives you lemons.
Give the lemons to charity.
What am I gonna do with em?
Open a market stall?

Mr. Moon
2007-02-05, 07:56 PM
The history buff in me just died. Patrick Henry said that. I'll spare you all the boring details of when and where and just say it was before we made England leave us alone.

Nyeah-ha. Sorry. I don't know much about American history.

What am I gonna do with em?
Open a market stall?

Actualy, that's pretty much what I thought when I saw that. "charity or Charity?"

I just heard a real funny one. "You will never find true happieness. What'cha gonna do, cry about it?" - Wierd Al.

Sewer_Bandito
2007-02-05, 08:01 PM
I have lots...

Just because you're an idiot, it doesn't mean you have to go out and prove it.

Only boring people think life is boring.

and...

When life gives you crap, make crap golems.

Syka
2007-02-06, 10:32 PM
"Why regret my past when it has made me what I am today?"

"I would rather make a mistake than regret not taking a chance."

"As we grow up, we learn that even the one person that wasn't supposed to ever let you down probably will. You will have your heart broken probably more than once and it's harder every time. You'll break hearts too, so remember how it felt when yours was broken. You'll fight with your best friend. You'll blame a new love for things an old one did. You'll cry because time is passing too fast, and you'll eventually lose someone you love. So take too many pictures, laugh too much, and love like you've never been hurt because every sixty seconds you spend upset is a minute of happiness you'll never get back. "

"You can't have slaughter without laughter."

"Thousand nations of the Persian Empire descend upon you...Our arrows shall blot out the sun." --"Then we'll fight in the shade!"

The first two are mine, the third I stole from a friends Facebook, and the fourth is something I said recently in class that had my friends cracking up. The last is from the movie 300 adapted from the graphic novel of the same name by Frank Miller. I like it because it basically says I'm not going to tuck tail and run. You need to stand for what you believe in, regardless of how hard it might be.

Amotis
2007-02-06, 11:06 PM
It also means prepare Protection From Arrows every day.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-07, 08:24 AM
The third one is an actual quote from the Spartans at the battle of Thermopylae- one of the Spartans said it when the Persians were mouthing off.

The Spartans were badass.

Carolyn
2007-02-07, 08:29 AM
Mine is a quote from Terry Pratchett's novel 'The Wee Free Men'

If you trust in yourself, and believe in you dreams, and follow your star...you will still get beaten by people who did the actual work.

Maryring
2007-02-07, 09:54 AM
I have several ones that I use depending on my current state of being. The ones I use most often are...

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall."
"My dreams are my hopes are my life."
"Smile to the world and the world smiles back."

Or the one I am currently using...

"A friend is a stranger you've never met."

JediNite
2007-02-07, 10:16 AM
"Be the person you wish you were - someone might believe it."

"Judge yourself on the regard of your friends."

"Give 'til it hurts, then keep giving."

"I will not go quiet into that good night."

"When the going gets tough, someone hold my rodent."

"Love is worth it."

These are what I live by. Especially number five.
-Jedi

Rex Idiotarum
2007-02-07, 10:38 AM
"Life sucks, Rock Falls, then Everyone Dies"

Adygias
2007-02-07, 10:40 AM
If God had meant for us to do things ahead of time, He wouldn't have given us the last minute.

Life is like a grapefruit. It's sort of orangy-yellow and dimpled on the outsie. wet and squidgy in the middle. It's got pips inside, too. Oh, and some people have half of one for breakfast.

When I have a little money, I buy books. And if any is left, I buy food and clothes.

Nothing is yet in its true form.

What is beautiful is not for us to decide.

Beware of the "straight truth," because no story is straight on its own. The truth, that which really is, can never be straightened.

And to fulfill my history/language requirements:
MENE MENE TEKEL UPHARSIN

(Hmm, the forum won't let you use Aramaic text. I wonder if this is the first time this has come up? Probably not, 'round these parts... :smallbiggrin:)

Rex Idiotarum
2007-02-07, 10:47 AM
Viva sugat, rupes accidat, tum moriris.

Adygias
2007-02-07, 10:51 AM
Everything sounds so much more profound in Latin.

Amotis
2007-02-07, 11:36 AM
Mine is a quote from Terry Pratchett's novel 'The Wee Free Men'

If you trust in yourself, and believe in you dreams, and follow your star...you will still get beaten by people who did the actual work.

Awesome. I forgot about that one. :smallbiggrin:

Charity
2007-02-07, 12:13 PM
(Hmm, the forum won't let you use Aramaic text. I wonder if this is the first time this has come up? Probably not, 'round these parts... :smallbiggrin:)

انا متأكد انه لا أود منكم استعمال الاراميه نص انظر هنا مثله.

cut 'n' paste is good for what ails ya. thats one of mine.

Adygias
2007-02-07, 12:24 PM
@Charity: Weird, I just got a string of question marks. I guess it's just very selective about which Semitic languages you can use.
(using Google Translate) let's see... Arabic to English... translate... er... Hey!

CrazedGoblin
2007-02-07, 12:27 PM
"The Universe IS big enough" is mine as it is :P

CrazedGoblin
2007-02-07, 12:32 PM
In a time of Darkness, look to a Blind man for guidance.
In a Time of Madness, look to a Madman for leadership.

i like this one :smallbiggrin:

White Blade
2007-02-09, 09:52 AM
"I probably deserved that," and "Here, let me help".

Silverlocke980
2007-02-09, 10:26 AM
The longest journey begins with a single step.

Vernal
2007-02-09, 10:53 AM
I think my motto would be:
"If dead, laugh"

Stupid story to follow.

Castaras
2007-02-09, 10:55 AM
Wear your anorak with pride!

Steve_the_ERB
2007-02-09, 11:11 AM
Two I use...

Its better to be lucky than good...but best to be both.

If its worth doing its worth over-doing.

Jaguira
2007-02-10, 10:32 PM
"Waste not, want not" and "Love thy neighbor." Not exactly origional, but they get me through life alright.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-11, 12:13 AM
New one, lyrics from a song:

If everyone cared, and nobody cried,
If everyone loved, and nobody lied,
If everyone shared, and swallowed their pride,
Then we'd see the day when nobody died.

Spartan_Samuel
2007-02-12, 04:04 PM
Usually I go with No Mercy, but the phrase It's Only A Ride kind of interferes with that so I'm pretty much between mottos at the moment.

Jack Squat
2007-02-12, 04:06 PM
Usually I go with No Mercy,

Mercy's the sign of a great man
*stabs*
ok, so I'm a good man
*stabs*
so I'm all right
:smallwink:

Spartan_Samuel
2007-02-12, 05:19 PM
No, it's just I'm tired of this idiocy that's ravaging the planet. People looking at me gathering buggies (my job) and they toss their cart the other direction 15 ft. People ask me if we're selling cigarettes when I'm standing in front of an entire wall of them. People ASK me can I ask you a question. People ask me if I'm sure when I tell them directly what I think without flair. People treat their animals as if they're ****ing retarded and they're human babies (they don't have to be freaking dolphins to have an IQ bigger than your nose, *******), they also tell their pets that they love them more than their partners. People immigrate to a country where they took NO effort to learn the language, much less our system of currency. People hate OTHER people who immigrate into our country for immigrating in the first place, when the country we're in WAS CREATED OFF OF VARIOUS EUROPEAN IMMIGRANTS AND AUSTRALIAN PRISONERS AND PROSTITUTES.

I've had enough of our society's mis-steps and it's high time someone TELLS them that they're wrong instead of letting them continue with their blunders unaware. And I can't stand it when I point out other people's wrong-doings and they get pissed at me for doing so. Yes I've done the same thing, BUT DO YOU SEE ME DOING IT SINCE? NO!

Post script: Yes, I work in the beloved Customer Service.

Autarch
2007-04-18, 07:53 PM
*casts resurrect thread*
*hides*
~
"If you have to tell the truth, you'd better make it funny."
~
"The fallacy of mankind is that none of us are smart enough to know all the right answers, but every one of us is convinced that we do."
~
Quote from a historically accurate book set in the 1700's
-the scene: after the hanging of a witch-

Commoner- "God willing, that will be the last of them"
Protagonist- "The Witches, sir?"
Commoner- "No, the hangings."
~

Oh, one last one:
Druid- "We should kill them all!"
Party Members- :smalleek:
Druid- "Err... I mean... Praise be to Obad Hai!"

Samurai General
2007-04-18, 08:19 PM
what kills you makes you dead.

or well theres your problem!

Autarch
2007-04-18, 08:27 PM
You know your doing something right if someone quotes you in their sig.
~
and... as a followup,
if your only ambition is to get quoted in someone's sig, you need all the help you can get :smallbiggrin:

Fus.Weapon 1337
2007-04-18, 08:32 PM
If life gives you lemons, pronounce "nuclear" correctly.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-04-18, 08:33 PM
There are several candidates for my motto, being as follows:

"He who is in love is wise and is becoming wiser, sees newly every time he looks at the object beloved, drawing from it with his eyes and his mind those virtues which it possesses."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."
-The Christian Bible

"Love is the salutation of the angel to the stars."
-Victor Hugo

The final winner, however, is from my personal hero, Keats:

" 'If I should die,' said I to myself, 'I have left no immortal work behind me—nothing to make my friends proud of my memory—but I have loved the principle of beauty in all things, and if I had had time I would have made myself remembered.'"
-John Keats, to Fanny Brawne

blackout
2007-04-18, 09:46 PM
I have a motto for every occasion:

First Person Shooter Games: One little, two little, three little fra-ags!
Giant Robot Games: *insert godzilla-esque shriek here*
Getting killed in any video games: KHAAAAAAAAAN!

You name it, I have a motto for it.

Mr._Blinky
2007-04-18, 10:05 PM
I sincerely doubt it's original, and I probably subconsciously picked it up somewhere on the internet, but:

"I came into this world, bloody, screaming and naked. AND BY GOD THAT'S HOW I'LL LEAVE IT!!!"

Not exactly how I mean to go out, but it's so much fun to say.:smalltongue:

Imrahil
2007-04-18, 10:25 PM
My motto can be found in my signature. Sometimes, one needs to distance themselves from the potential questions on what they are doing in order to survive.

Vonriel
2007-04-18, 10:38 PM
This (http://www.countyoursheep.com/d/20040204.html) and this (http://www.countyoursheep.com/d/20050207.html) sum up my mottos better than I ever could. I may not always follow them, but I do recognize their value.

averagejoe
2007-04-18, 10:43 PM
"There is no absolute truth."

Although, "I'm here to discuss philosophy, not play silly word games" seems to be a close second.

"Be cool."

phoenixineohp
2007-04-19, 12:38 AM
A few I love a few:

Risk is necessary.

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Do onto others as you would wish them to do onto you.

If life gives you lemon... clone them and make MEGA LEMONS!*

Don't the the penguins steal all of your sanity.**

*From my friend in chemistry class.
**From a sticker that perfectly matched one very, very odd night.

Scribbler
2007-04-19, 01:06 AM
If you fight fire with fire, then everything gets burned. You should fight fire with water.
Or, "Darkness can not drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred can not drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Dr. King

Hmmm, one I thought up recently: Bad people can get ahead of the good in life. It happens. It happens a lot, that's true, because the selfish are willing to push others down to help themselves get up faster. But bad people need the good to push down. In a world where everyone is too self-centered, everyone is getting pushed down as fast as they push themselves up. Everyone as a whole, the few bad included, only grows in a world where most people are genuinely good. Look at how we've grown over time--what does that tell you about the human race? I'm a cynic when it comes to people, I admit it, but I do believe in the innate goodness of mankind as a whole.

The_Chilli_God
2007-04-19, 02:43 AM
Well, my big motto is in my sig.
The Chilli God Has Spoken.
I use it everywhere. But you couldn't really call it a motto, so much as a catch-phrase.

Eh.

Dunxco
2007-04-19, 02:55 AM
Simple and sweet - Get busy living, or get busy dying.

The Prince of Cats
2007-04-19, 04:46 AM
The words that have stayed with me all my life, though it took years to really live by them, were ones I heard from a Queen song, via the Kurgen, borrowed from Neil Young...

"It is better to burn out than to fade away."

When I die, I don't want to be able to boast that I lingered longer than my peers; I want to say that I have lived...

blackout
2007-04-19, 05:57 AM
I just got myself an all-purpose motto!

PERFECTION IS IMPOSSIBLE!

I intend to shout that at the idiots on my school's football team sometime, most likely in a chaos-marine style voice(or at least as close as I can get).

The_Librarian
2007-04-19, 06:52 AM
I don't know what mine would be because it'd change on a daily basis. I know what the wolf's would be though: Quando omni flunkus moritatus

(Hopefully) this translates as "When all else fails, play dead"

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-19, 06:55 AM
Be happy with what you have to be happy with. Also an awesome song.

RationalGoblin
2007-04-19, 09:27 AM
Hmm.. heres a few.

Aut disce aut discede - Either learn or leave

Audio, video, disco - I hear, I see, I learn

Braccae tuae aperiuntur - Your fly is open :smalleek:

Cave cibum, valde malus est - Beware the food, it is very bad

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur - Nobody should be punished for his thoughts

Hmmm.. this one describes me perfectly. Cuivis dolori remedium est patientia - Patience is the cure for all suffering

Discere docendo - To learn through teaching

Eventus stultorum magister - Events are the teacher of the stupid persons. Stupid people learn by experience, bright people calculate what to do

And my personal favorite, "Knowledge is Power."

Catch
2007-04-19, 09:37 AM
Pretty much this song (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/alkalinetrio/ifyouhadabadtime.html).

That and amor fati, I think.

Zephra
2007-04-19, 04:18 PM
pick your battles.
when you deal with little kids, it's a very important rule to have...

Khantalas
2007-04-19, 04:20 PM
Here and never.

It's a stupid motto to have, but it fits me, dammit.

zeratul
2007-04-19, 04:25 PM
Just because your paranoid, doesen't mean they're not out to get you.

Ashildr_the_Bard
2007-04-19, 05:15 PM
"Anything that happens, happens. Anything that in happening causes itself to happen again, happens again."

My grandfather's personal bit of wisdom: "Women are born suspicious. They can't help it, they're born that way."

And my personal motto: "You don't have to be faster than the tiger, you just have to be faster than your slowest friend."

Zarha
2007-04-20, 05:43 AM
1. I am not edible.
2. Millenium hand and shrimp.

Jamin
2007-04-20, 06:25 AM
Why make sense when you can make dollars
and Who thought being good could make you feel good

Old One
2007-04-20, 10:51 AM
Parla non guano... in probably very correct latin! Not! :smallbiggrin: And have fun as long as you live. What's life for if not to have fun!

MethodicalMeat
2007-04-20, 01:00 PM
The grass is never greener on the other side, chances are its brown, but don't despair, just do the best with the lawn life gave you and make it shine.

MethodicalMeat
2007-04-20, 01:03 PM
My other motto is: "Destroy the cosmos first, ask questions later.":smallamused:

NEO|Phyte
2007-04-20, 01:52 PM
I don't know what mine would be because it'd change on a daily basis. I know what the wolf's would be though: Quando omni flunkus moritatus

(Hopefully) this translates as "When all else fails, play dead"
Hrmm, no gender indicator on you, but going off your avatar, its safe to assume you don't use the Man's Prayer, correct?

Autarch
2007-05-18, 09:53 PM
Someone posted this earlier (sort of) just thought I'd say how much I want to live by this one:

The day's still over and I'm still here... that means I won!

Mr. Mud
2007-05-18, 09:58 PM
My quote comes from animal house:

Don't get back... GET EVEN!! :smallamused:

Warpfire
2007-05-18, 10:13 PM
Just because your paranoid, doesen't mean they're not out to get you.

Just because they're out to get you, doesn't mean you aren't paranoid.

Shamelessly stolen from Steven Brust.

audentes fortuna iuvat - Fortune favors the bold. And if anyone says 'that's from Star Trek!', I'll hurt them. :smallfurious: :smallwink:

Koga
2007-05-18, 11:58 PM
"We do and should hate those who won't let us love them"

Cyr
2007-05-19, 12:09 AM
"All the world's a stage, in the end, the props can't get much better, the only thing to do is improve your act." or "The point of life isn't to emulate the wasteful son, or his judging brother, its about emulating his loving and merciful father." would be my choices.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-19, 12:11 AM
One that I use to define my eccentricities: You gotta die of somethin', and there are a lot more fun than cancer.

Ettlesby
2007-05-19, 12:20 AM
Mine is more of a quote, really...

"I know everything, except for everything I don't know."

Tharivol123
2007-05-19, 12:27 AM
Direct from Jimmy Buffett:
Don't know where I'm goin'
I don't like where I've been
There may be no exit
But hell I'm going in

MolotovH
2007-05-19, 01:53 AM
I'm quite fond of the theme of braveSaintSaturn's The Light of Things Hoped For, as a motto: "The bravest thing of all is to hope." It's a never-say-die attitude for everyday life.

As for defining quotes, I can think of three that really resonate with me:

"When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill

"As long as a man can look his oppressor in the eye, he is still free." - Jean Paul Sartre

"The only man who is really free is the one who can turn down an invitation to dinner without giving an excuse." - Jules Renard

But realistically, the words I live by most often are these:

"Being smart isn't about knowing all the answers. It's about stalling long enough to work them out in your head." :smallbiggrin:

Also... for the love of Springfield, people! The beer quote is not from Ben Franklin! It's a Homer Simpson quote, who attributes it (falsely, due to drunkenness) to Franklin.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-19, 01:59 AM
Another one that I got from The Drawing of Three by Stephen King: Control what you can control. Let everything else take a flying **** at you, and if you can, go out with your guns blazing.

Veli
2007-05-19, 02:10 AM
Two from my sig,

"Love and friendship bring both strength and weakness."

"Life is like a puzzle. You're going to stuff it up a lot, but you'll eventually get it right."

And one I just thought of,

"Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment."

LCR
2007-05-19, 02:15 AM
Both quotes are by E. Hemingway:
"It's none of their business that you have to learn how to write. Let them think you were born that way."
and
"All thinking men are atheists."

tis_tom
2007-05-19, 02:19 AM
I have several, but these are my top three:

- Better to regret something you did do than something you didn't do. (though to be honest I've made quite a few errors in following that!)

- What can't speak can't lie. (actions speak louder than words)

- Rules are there not so you follow them all the time, but so you have something to remind you of the dangers when you break them. (i.e neutral good is the best good!)

Drascin
2007-05-19, 06:24 AM
I have a few sentences I like to go by:

-"If it has a solution, why worry yourself? And if it doesn't have a solution, why worry yourself?". This is a Spanish proverb meaning, if you can solve something, go for it head on, and if not, don't give yourself crap for things you can't control. Also, that worrying is pretty stupid anyway, because the only things you get from worrying are sleepless nights, ulcers, and nothing done :smalltongue: .

-"You are the only person you're going to have to be with for all your life, and therefore it is this opinion the only one that should really count". I think this is obvious. I am receptive to other's ideas, but don't expect me conforming to your standards, 'cause you'd be in for a surprise.

-"Never underestimate the ability of the human brain to be totally unreasonable". Self-explicative.

-"Maturity is totally overrated". Seriously, what is with this "be serious" this, and "self-consciousness" that? Life is a game, and I only got one quarter, so I'm going to enjoy my playthrough while it lasts.

-"Dancing around the brambles is not going to make it any less painful when you have to get through. It will only make you sweaty and the thorns will hurt more." meaning, it is better to go straight to the core of the problems than trying to sugar-coat them - it's gong to hurt anyway.

-"When something is worth doing, it's worth doing it right. Incidentally, there are not that many things worth doing"

-"If there is such a thing as an absolute truth, I have never encountered it". Little is truly certain, and it should be treated as such, IMO.

Cyr
2007-05-19, 09:24 AM
I sincerely doubt it's original, and I probably subconsciously picked it up somewhere on the internet, but:

"I came into this world, bloody, screaming and naked. AND BY GOD THAT'S HOW I'LL LEAVE IT!!!"

Not exactly how I mean to go out, but it's so much fun to say.:smalltongue:

"Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I shall depart." is a quote of Job, which may have inspired that quote, though I do recall something similar from elsewhere.

MeklorIlavator
2007-05-19, 09:55 AM
My favorite motto rght now would probably be Momento Mori.
Translated, it means "Remember, you shal die."

I'm morbid, so sue me.

Scorpina
2007-05-19, 06:13 PM
I heard a good one today:

"If something seems to good to be true, it probably is."

potatocubed
2007-05-19, 06:36 PM
A few one-liners from my stock of wisdom...

"Most things really aren't important."

"You always have a choice."

"Never trust a player character who spends their starting gold on livestock."

LurkerinthePlaygnd
2007-05-20, 12:29 AM
Okay, I know all you Latin scholars will skewer me for this one but:

Illigitimi non carborundum
Don't let the bastards grind you down

I realize it's made-up Latin, but it sounds kinda cool.

Another one I try to live by comes from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures:

Be excellent to one another.

Skippy
2007-05-20, 12:48 AM
My favorite motto rght now would probably be Momento Mori.
Translated, it means "Remember, you shal die."

I'm morbid, so sue me.

Ahh, so you've read Snicket... Loved his books, though I haven't read the last two... They weren't translated (They stopped translating them to Spanish after the Ersatz Elevator)

My motto could be "Always look at the bright side of life"
Or perhaps "Life's a piece of sh.. when you look at it... Life's a laugh and death's the final joke..."

I dunno, some Monty Python just to make life a little funnier... Everybody needs a laugh...

Hey, perhaps that should be my motto!!

OK, from now on, my motto is: Everybody needs a laugh

RelentlessImp
2007-05-20, 02:58 AM
"What you have is yours. What others have is theirs. Rite of Combat does not entitle you to what is theirs." - Explains why Bill Gates is still alive...

"Humans err. But it takes a human with a computer to really screw things up." - I do tech support ><

"What doesn't kill you, really pisses you right the hell off."

"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."

And... likely the one I'll spout without thinking...

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Exachix
2007-05-20, 08:24 AM
Life is a Game:
- He who dies with the most toys wins.

Rawhide
2007-05-20, 08:26 AM
I don't suffer from insanity.
I enjoy every minute of it.

brains?
2007-05-20, 08:27 AM
This too shall pass.

or

Mmmmmm Yeah.

Sisqui
2007-05-20, 11:11 AM
The truth has no great respect for personal preferences.

Last_resort_33
2007-05-20, 12:26 PM
There are 5 simple words by which if everyone lead their lives, the world would be a happy place.

"Do not be a c**t"

I try to live my life by this motto and, by and large, on the whole, the majority of the time, it works well

Moogie
2007-05-21, 12:52 AM
"Prince Charming's a dork, bring on the frogs"
love that saying, even though I like dorks :smalltongue:

My own motto is: Have some fun while you're alive, you're gonna die anyway. What's the point of living longer if you're not having fun doing it?

PlatinumJester
2007-05-21, 06:49 AM
"we fear that which we cannot see" - I however only have a phobia of turkies I just like the saying.

"sometimes your lucky, and sometimes you are the only white person in compton" - I just think it's funny.

Zaggab
2007-05-21, 11:43 AM
"If it can get better, it's not good enough"

ghost_warlock
2007-05-22, 08:14 AM
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire

CurlyKitGirl
2007-05-22, 08:52 AM
I don't really have a motto as such seeing as people tend to view me as quiet and hardworking (lol for the first part:smallbiggrin:) people would expect my motto to be something like: If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

Some I quite like are: Carpe Jugulum/Diem
Tempers Fuggit
Live fats die yo gnu

My mottos:
Do something helpful every day and karma can't kick you in the rear
If you can't prove me wrong then I'm right
Meh, do I care (only to insult people NB: this is not part of the motto)
Those who build castles in the sky had better build foundations on the ground quick
To insult you or to ignore you, that is the question

phantomhermit
2007-06-06, 11:14 AM
love always yieldeth; love always hardeneth -aleister crowley

Dallas-Dakota
2007-06-06, 12:49 PM
live as you like it.........

RocketBard
2007-06-06, 12:53 PM
Be patient and work diligently, and good things shall come.

MandibleBones
2007-06-07, 01:59 PM
In riso veritas est: "In laughter, there is truth." Anything worth worrying about is worth laughing about.

Vale, valeo: "Be strong; I am strong."

BigHairyMonster
2007-06-07, 02:47 PM
Hmmm, so many.

Well, there are a few I like that other, clever people wrote:

Morituri Nolumus Mori (trans: "We who are about to die, don't want to.")
Train hard; fight easy. (Russian Army)
I'm not the Rape & Pillage type ... more the Persuade & Borrow.

But the one snappy motto that really sums up my philosophy is:

Music Is Life

It's that simple, folks. Music. Is. Life.

Mc. Lovin'
2007-06-07, 03:21 PM
If theres one thing ive learnt from school then its what their motto should be

'keep your head down and you'll do fine'

But anyway, mine are
'Just say yes, it's easier than having an argument about it!'
and
'Just forget the bad stuff, remebering it isn't gonna do me any good'

Dragor
2007-06-07, 03:43 PM
Taken from one of my Civ 4 games:

"Who needs 'philosophy' when you've got a BIG sword?"

TheRabidWalnut
2007-06-08, 03:41 AM
Taken from an actual performance review I received.

"Mad as a cat, but thorough"

xKiv
2007-06-08, 03:49 AM
All work and no play (comics) make xKiv dull boy.

drkmirror
2007-06-08, 09:53 AM
walk softly and hit people with a big slab of metal before they hit you with sticks, unless there cute , because they all out to get you, so you go to be careful.

EDIT: you know that I look at it it does not exactly roll off the tongue does it?

OverdrivePrime
2007-06-08, 11:12 AM
I've got two primary mottos, one of which has a corollary. Combined, they read like an encyclopedia of my psyche, particularly if you know where they come from.

1.) Be excellent to each other.
a.) Party on, dudes!

2.) Above all shadows rides the sun.

nifler
2007-09-17, 06:35 PM
Pain is not weakness leaving the body. Pain is the body telling you that something is screwed up and that you really should stop. Like now. Seriously.

ForzaFiori
2007-09-17, 06:54 PM
Pain is not weakness leaving the body. Pain is the body telling you that something is screwed up and that you really should stop. Like now. Seriously.

As someone recovering from a sports injury, I must say I love that one.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-09-17, 07:00 PM
Vivimus, Vivamus, at Momento Mori

lordofthe_wog
2007-09-17, 07:03 PM
My current motto would have to be

First you fight with your head, then you fight with your heart

dsuursoo
2007-09-17, 07:11 PM
'sometimes the rocket goes boom' is my work motto. it really holds true in R&D.

'who dares, wins' comes pretty close to being the best motto i could want for most everything else.

ForzaFiori
2007-09-17, 07:15 PM
i have 2.
both from coaches i've had.

"Do or do not, there is no try."
and
"Play the next play"

basically its "either get something done or skip it, dont half ass anything" and "when something goes wrong, get over it and go full out next time"

Traveling_Angel
2007-09-17, 10:20 PM
Pretty much the poem If. (http://www.swarthmore.edu/~apreset1/docs/if.html) Think your mature? Read that through. If you say "Of course I pass!" then read it again. If you say, "Whoa... I'm nowhere near that..." then you're fairly close.

As well as "There are those who think and those who dream, but I for one refuse to chose between them!" -Liriel Baerne. This sums up the way I live. With passion and logic, Dream to do the right thing, Think to tell what that is.

Haruki-kun
2007-09-17, 10:27 PM
"Do not do today what you can leave for tomorrow!!!" :smalltongue:

OK, OK, in all seriousness. Off the top of my head I thought of:
"Do not mock that which you do not understand."

Terumitsu
2007-09-17, 10:28 PM
Current motto... Mmm...

"Change is like a rocket. It turns heads as it goes by and completely alters what it is aimed at."

That is roughly it.

Skippy
2007-09-17, 11:07 PM
"When in doubt... F***!"

From the movie "Scent of a Woman"... Wise words...

Old One
2007-09-18, 08:27 AM
When in doubt... could be Belkar motto too! :smallbiggrin: He said that too, but ended with something like put fire to something, or light something up... don't remember! :smalltongue:
Just made me think of it... I've never seen that movie. I think I should someday. *nods*