PDA

View Full Version : Ignore

Jakodee
2014-02-11, 09:54 PM
The base concept of this little project is that how good you are at something determines your die type when rolling. Like so:

D4: sub-human
D6: normal
D8: skilled
D10: excellent
D12: incredible
D20: super-human

The stats you may improve are:
Might: Hit chance rolls, attack rolls, strength based rolls
Agility: hit chance rolls, attack rolls, agility based rolls
Speed: initiative rolls,movement rate bonus in meters
Endurance: extra hit points, resistance based rolls
Intelligence: skill point bonus, intellect based rolls
Willpower: personality based rolls, mental resistance rolls

All stats start at 1(a d6).You may spend X amount of build points to improve your stats with each larger die costing one point and with an upgrade to d20 level costing 4 points(this is officially superhuman). You may decrease an attribute to a d4 to gain a build point, or in a very low powered game every thing could start at a d4. X can be changed depending on the power level of the game. Say you want to jump a gap with 3 in agility. You need a 5 to pass but you get a 4 so you fall. Or you would if you didn't get a +4 bonus from spring boots!

Your Dm also sets a number of talent points available at the games start(usually very low). Talents are special bonuses, tricks, or powers your character has. In a superhero campaign they would be common, in a horror maybe not. The available talents really depend on the game type but I will post some examples.

Combat: When combat starts roll a speed check with the highest roll going first and lowest going last. Combat is fast so don't let the player take a hike while the enemy is firing arrows at them. In a combat situation you can move, attack, and do one or two minor actions. Attacking works by rolling to see if you do damage, which may use might or agility depending on the weapon, and rolling for damage, the stat used also depends on the weapon. Unarmed combatants deal a might roll of damage but weapons add bonuses and often range to your attacks.
Weapon properties: Ranged: Can hit the listed number of meters away at or double it for half accuracy and so on.
Throwable: You may attempt to throw this weapon, range applies.
Poisoned: Administers poison on a damage roll.

I will add more in the future. I'm sorry it's messy but I threw this together last minute. Any suggestions, criticism, or or comments will be greatly appreciated.

toapat
2014-02-11, 11:54 PM
the roll a given die could give a more interesting result of how the system works out, but heres what i see:

1: a little too much legwork for both sides: The base mechanic itself leads to too much mental load to really facilitate smooth play

2: Attributes: See the problems with strength, charisma in third, the more you add the less worthwhile each alone has to be, and the more bias you put on even well designed wizards for strength vs weakness.

erikun
2014-02-12, 02:19 AM
Are you familiar with the IronClaw/JadeClaw RPG system? They use the d4/ d6/ d8/ d10/ d12 progression for stat improvement as well, although they progress to d12+d4 after that (and use dice pools for rolls). There's another system that uses a similar dice progression also, although I don't recall the name of it.

One big concern is that the system looks very much like a modified D&D3e. That isn't a problem on its own, but it does require taking a good look at what D&D3e does well and does poorly before you look at changing it. Most noteworthy is that Endurance gives "extra hit points" (how?) and Intelligence gives a "skill point bonus". There's also Willpower affecting "personality based rolls", despite a lot of aspects of personality having little to do with willpower.

Other than that, can I assume that you intend for combat to be fast? Because I don't think I could judge how fast it is with what information we currently have.

Draz74
2014-02-12, 02:36 PM
Are you familiar with the IronClaw/JadeClaw RPG system? They use the d4/ d6/ d8/ d10/ d12 progression for stat improvement as well, although they progress to d12+d4 after that (and use dice pools for rolls). There's another system that uses a similar dice progression also, although I don't recall the name of it.

Actually, there are at least a couple others that use this mechanic. The one I recall at the moment is the Cortex family, which includes such RPGs as Leverage, Smallville, and Firefly.

D-naras
2014-02-12, 05:56 PM
Also Savage Worlds, only there, you roll an additional d6 called a wild die and you keep the highest of the 2 dice, your ability die and your wild die. Also, dice there explode meaning that when you roll the highest possible number on a die, you reroll it and add the new result to the total of that die with no upper limit. The usual DC is 4 which works to at least 50% success rate for anything that you have the least possible competence.

XionUnborn01
2014-02-13, 12:51 AM
Echoing the other posters, have you looked at Mutants and Masterminds?

I think their point system for building characters might be something you could at least spring board from for your system.

Hovannes
2014-02-14, 10:54 AM
I like your thinking.

Have a look here - > Point System Gaming (https://sites.google.com/site/pointsystemgaming/psg-core-rules).

Take what you need, ignore the rest.

Jakodee
2014-02-15, 02:03 PM
I was actually very tired when I made this. I think I will just check out the point buy system instead.