PDA

View Full Version : The Arkentools [speculation]

Hilary Moon Murphy
2007-01-28, 03:49 PM
Given that we already have the Arkenhammer... What other Arkentools are there, and what do you think they will look like? Where do you think the will be found? What do you think their secret powers will be?

My guess is that there must be an Arkensaw. And it should be found near a mountain called Little Rock. It looks like a pie slicer, and has the ability to make the user charming at social gatherings -- at least to pigeons.

Any others?

Hmm

GryffonDurime
2007-01-28, 04:19 PM
Arkenhoe, with the power to both cleave mighty fissures in the earth and transform soil tilled with it more gently into feathers.

The Dirge
2007-01-28, 06:01 PM
Arkenchisle, because when combined with the Arkenhammer it can be used to slowly chip away at enemy fortifications.

TinSoldier
2007-01-28, 07:19 PM
Arkencrescentwrench -- for causing painful wounds on the enemy by skinning their knuckles.

fetch
2007-01-28, 07:39 PM
Arkenscrewdriver - for use in the inevitable scenario that screws are invented - also makes a pretty mean cocktail! It's has a clear plastic handle with a little green light emitting diode inside that lights up in the presence of magic...

fetch

kabbor
2007-01-28, 08:59 PM
The Arkenspanner, which undoes nuts without turning them into pigeons, all while complaingin about the uselessness of the other tools (including Stanley)

Xerillum
2007-01-28, 09:52 PM
The Arkenplane it has the power to shave shavings off of shavers.

Sage in the Playground
2007-01-28, 09:57 PM
Arkensandblaster: Origin-of-the-World magic sand blaster? Win, anyway ya spin it.

Erk
2007-01-29, 01:18 AM
Arkensaw is a given but I would find it amusing if that was the only one they did not use.

I have a question: why do people use "[spoiler]" for the least-spoilerlike things on this forum? The word is heavily misused. We have known about the arkentools since what, the third comic? Therefore that, and the fact that there are multiple arkentools as mentioned on the cast page, make this topic absolutely not a spoiler. Speculation isn't a spoiler, but that seems to be what the world means around here. Should not people start using [spec] instead? Just a peeve of mine.

I like the name Arkenspanner. I hope there is an Arkenspanner.

Setra
2007-01-29, 01:24 AM
Arkenscrewdriver

With the power to make people screwy.

Hilary Moon Murphy
2007-01-29, 12:56 PM
Arkensaw is a given but I would find it amusing if that was the only one they did not use.

I have a question: why do people use "[spoiler]" for the least-spoilerlike things on this forum? The word is heavily misused. We have known about the arkentools since what, the third comic? Therefore that, and the fact that there are multiple arkentools as mentioned on the cast page, make this topic absolutely not a spoiler. Speculation isn't a spoiler, but that seems to be what the world means around here. Should not people start using [spec] instead? Just a peeve of mine.

Erk --

I used spoiler because it was speculation about the future and I was not certain where the boundaries lie. Forgive me if I erred on the side of caution...

I also would be amused if the Arkensaw was the one tool that they did not use... Though the more I think about it, the less likely I think it is that it is a pie server. I'm thinking pizza cutter would be more appropriate to a gaming based world.

http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/2.gif

Hmm

Erk
2007-01-29, 08:57 PM
Oh, no offense to you specifically Murphy. It is something that is standard on the GitP forums, and it's not a massive error or anything... just kinda weird

Arkensaw Pizza Cutter ftw though. I love it.

TinSoldier
2007-01-29, 10:23 PM
Oh, no offense to you specifically Murphy. It is something that is standard on the GitP forums, and it's not a massive error or anything... just kinda weird

Arkensaw Pizza Cutter ftw though. I love it.Just the way it is according to the rules... instead of picking from any number of words that can mean "prediction" or "speculation" or whatever, the term "spoiler" is used.

averagejoe
2007-01-29, 10:33 PM
I'm pretty sure the correct pronunciation is, "arkenskwoodwivuh."

Jester42
2007-01-29, 11:19 PM
How about the arkentoolbox. The only artifact powerful enough to hold all of the arkentools.

chionophile
2007-01-29, 11:56 PM
Erk, the Giant has stated that he wants any speculation about OotS to be marked as a spoiler, because he doesn't want to be influenced by what people think is going to happen.

I'm pretty sure the correct pronunciation is, "arkenskwoodwivuh."

Is anyone else getting slightly tired of this joke? Someone seems to make it in a good percentage of the threads. And it's not even accurate or applicable...

Erk
2007-01-30, 12:13 AM
Ahh, ok, it is an OotS request, and the spoilers are spoilers to Rich. That makes sense. To him, fanspeculation is a spoiler.

I hope we can not use that habit on Erfworld but I guess it would be up to Jamie and Roy. In the meantime, thanks for making it make sense.

Also, yeah, I am really tired of everyone making the w-r joke. It's not the "arkenhammew" for crying out loud.

dragongirl13
2007-01-30, 12:24 AM
The Arkentools are unpredictable. I don't know what they'll be, I just know they're going to be something cutesy like the Arkenhammer being something that looks like a little kid's toy hammer.

This unpredictableness gives me an idea: THE ARKENTOOLS ARE CHAOTIC NEUTRAL!!!!!!!

Maurog
2007-01-30, 02:32 AM
One Arkenruler to... umm, rule them all. Yeah.

onasuma
2007-01-30, 03:19 AM
The arkenswissarmyknife. Carries weakened versions of the tools and is handy if you have to do some whitteling.

Erk
2007-01-30, 03:27 AM
2 out of 3 things it whittled would turn into a lemur with four arms O.o how is that handy? Especially since lemurs don't literally have "hands".

heng
2007-01-30, 06:42 AM
Since you're all throwing around sharp things in a playground let me at the
ArkenBandaids...

Xaspian
2007-01-30, 12:01 PM
Arkenbottleopener? A small percentage of the drinks opened turn into Jelly (or Jello, or whatever you want to call it.)

One Skunk Todd
2007-01-30, 12:36 PM
Well, following on the plastic toy theme I wouldn't be surprised to see something like

an Arkenshovel and Arkenbucket, like you use to build sandcastles at the beach.

Runolfr
2007-01-30, 01:06 PM
The Arkenshovel: It can shovel a whole lot of *boop*. Also creates earthquakes and tames... some sort of earthy monster with a "w" in its name.

Setra
2007-01-30, 01:37 PM
The Arkenchainsaw: The Ultimate weapon, if it weren't made by Fisher Price.

Xaspian
2007-01-30, 02:10 PM
And the Arkenpliers, it seems, in Ansom's possession?

spite48
2007-01-30, 03:16 PM
One Arkenruler to... umm, rule them all. Yeah.
I like that one.

"stop mweasuring me."

Hilary Moon Murphy
2007-01-30, 04:14 PM
About those Arkenpliers... What do they do? How will they be used in the upcoming battle?

Hmm

Rocheforte
2007-01-30, 04:49 PM
4:8 "Sometimes you need to tame a dwagon. Sometimes you just need to bust a nut."

6:2 "Even if the city falls, I can take the Arkenhammer and get out."

Sounds like that whistle in the handle might have a calming or charming effect. The (presumed) Arkenpliers, on the other hand, don't have any toy-like look to them, and I can't see any un-pliar-like (forgive the term, please) features on them at all. They're needle-nose, so my initial thought of "Sometimes you need to open a city's gate. Sometimes you just need to twist a nut" doesn't really work except to produce a cringe.

innovan
2007-01-30, 05:00 PM
If Arkenhammer tames dwagons, Arkenpliers must allow you to tame bwears.

The big fluffy teddy bears that are his heavy calvary.

The standard Playskool toolbox contains:
Hammer, Saw, Wrench, Screwdriver, Drill and Pliers

But like the Istari, I doubt there's enough pages in one single story to carry all of them as plot points.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2007-01-30, 05:14 PM
It seems to me, Rocheforte, that the Arkentools, exclusive among all other weaponry and items in the World of Erf, appear a little more.. three dimensional and slightly out-of-place graphics-wise. The pliars on Ansom's belt and the Arkenhammer both share this little graphics thing. Or I may be playing into this, as the Arkenhammer is thus far the only confirmed Arkentool we've Arkenseen so Arkenfar. Arken.

Darth Paradox
2007-01-30, 06:25 PM
My interpretation is that the Arkentools, belonging to the creators of the world, are actually not of Erfworld at all, but of the world that the creator of Erfworld inhabited. I.e. the "real world".

Erk
2007-01-30, 06:39 PM
the tools are prerendered graphics, Fullbladder

The Arkenpliers change the perspective on the tools a lot. Unlike the Hammer, they are not toylike, they just look like standard household needlenoses. Other tools could therefore vary to a huge degree. Who knows, now... we don't have a pattern to assume from :)

Also, Innovan and Sprite, do you even know where the "W" comes from? /wince/ "bwears"? "mweasuring"? /sigh/

I suspect the pliers have something to do with diplomacy myself. Stanley's powerful unit come from the Hammer, and Ansom's power is the size of his army thanks to the alliances. He doesn't seem to be much better of a strategist than Stanley, otherwise.

innovan
2007-01-31, 12:47 PM
Do you even know where the w comes from?

Silly! Of course we do!

As in all feudal societies, the ruling class determines the fashion for word pronouncation. (see: History of the English Language (http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=800))
And in Erfworld, the ruler is... Lambchop!

http://www.classicmedia.tv/assets/circles/lambchop.gif

ampcptlogic
2007-01-31, 01:04 PM
If we have the Arkenhammer, the Arkenshovel, and the Arkenbucket beach toys, wouldn't we also need the Arkensieve?

Uzraid
2007-01-31, 02:03 PM
I am earnestly hoping for an Arkenhexwrench. This legendary artifact would possess the power of causing Ikea furniture to last for more than six months.

Deuce
2007-02-02, 08:03 AM
I'm just hoping the wielder of the Arken Saw will tell Parson that "You ain't from 'round here boy" at some point.

Heliomance
2007-02-02, 08:07 AM
The Arkensonicscrewdriver!

Belphegor
2007-02-02, 08:27 AM
Arkenpimpwaterpistol. Looks like a water pistol but instead It shots little pimps that pimp everything that they touch... The dangerous weapon of them all.

BTW is it me or is did the creator implied that parsons is the one to wield the arkenpiels (or whatever they are called).

h3rne
2007-02-02, 10:15 AM
I just checked the Cast List to see if it had been updated (please?) to include the Arkenpliers. I noticed that the Arkenhammer is listed as having Occupation: MacGuffin.

Familiar with the game now, I hit wiki and got this:

A MacGuffin (sometimes McGuffin or Maguffin) is a plot device that motivates the characters and advances the story, but has little other relevance to the story. The element that distinguishes a MacGuffin from other types of plot devices is that it is not important what object the MacGuffin specifically is. Anything that serves as a motivation will do. A true MacGuffin is essentially interchangeable.

It's interesting to speculate as to in what way exactly is the Arkenhammer a MacGuffin? It could be that the Arkentool themselves are the MacGuffin - a motivator for Stanley's questing and civic/military neglect. However, I suspect it's the actual form of the tools. I could see it's functions replaced easily by, say, a magic staff that tames Dwagons, throws lightning and causes nuts to change into pigeons.

For my part, I'm hoping for ArkenPowerTools, although current evidence suggests they might all be hand tools, in which case I'm already disappointed Stanley got the ArkenHammer and not the ArkenBoxCutter.

!WARNING: That last gag may only be funny in the UK, Australia and New Zealand!
In the UK a box cutter is often referred to as a "Stanley Knife". Sorry. I thought it was funny.

p.s. Sorry about the triple preposition in the 5th paragraph. No. Honestly.

Hilary Moon Murphy
2007-02-02, 02:28 PM
Okay, thanks to episode 22, we now know a lot about the two Arkentools that have shown up already. Let's compile that knowledge:

The Arkenhammer is
attuned to Stanley
has poor taste in friends
tames dwagons
throws lightning (which I'd really, really like to see)
has other powers unknown, including the ability to turn nuts into pigeons and to help Stanley escape at any time (albeit without the treasury).

The Arkenpliers are
not attuned to Ansom
usable in combat even for someone NOT attuned to them
turn Uncroaked to dust

This attunement thing is very, very interesting to me. Ansom said:

But Fate Magic is powerless in my case; I cannot unlock their secrets. I know of no-one who can.

This suggests that the Arkentools have something to do with Fate Magic... Either in their properties or in their derivation. But what can that be?

Also, I think I know now why the Arkenpliers are so plain, and the Arkenhammer is a very colorful croquet mallet. I believe that unattuned Arkentools will all look like pretty standard tools, but attuned ones take on the personality of those who wield them. That's why the Arkenhammer looks so damn silly. It's Stanley's tool, afterall.

Now I am convinced that the Arkensaw (if it shows up) will become a pizza cutter in the hands of Parson. I'm not certain that the Arkensaw will show up, though.

And now some questions for all of you:

What will be the next Arkentool to show up?
Who will the Arkenpliers attune to, if anyone?
Will Parson befriend an Arkentool?
What exactly, is involved in the attunement process? Plot coupon redemption quests? Love at first sight? Confluence of multiple unlikely events?
Does having an Arkentool attuned to you make you an Overlord in this world? Or is Stanley just doubly fortunate, having both rank and a powerful ancient artifact?

Yeah, I guess that's enough questions for now.

Hmm
Wielder of the mighty Arkenpencil (which gives the ability to draw spurious conclusions)

TheAnimal
2007-02-02, 05:44 PM
Since there is an Arkenhammer, there must also be an Arkensickle!

Erk
2007-02-02, 08:12 PM
in communist erfworld, arkensickle and arkenhammer wield you.

I get the impression from the Arkenhammer description that the tools choose their wielders, hence the "poor taste in friends". I assume that makes them attune to their owner.

I like the idea that they look different depending on who they are attuned to. I am curious to see who gets the pliers.

Seraph
2007-02-02, 09:15 PM
I have a question: why do people use "[spoiler]" for the least-spoilerlike things on this forum? The word is heavily misused. We have known about the arkentools since what, the third comic? Therefore that, and the fact that there are multiple arkentools as mentioned on the cast page, make this topic absolutely not a spoiler. Speculation isn't a spoiler, but that seems to be what the world means around here. Should not people start using [spec] instead? Just a peeve of mine. basically, before erfworld, random, open speculation on the forums annoyed Rich to a point where he decreed that all posters making speculations had to mark it openly so that he didn't blunder in on it.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2007-02-02, 11:40 PM
the tools are prerendered graphics, Fullbladder

That's it. Thanks. I'm not good with Computo-babble.

Stormthorn
2007-02-02, 11:50 PM
Arkentoothpick...just because.

Belphegor
2007-02-03, 06:13 AM
This attunement thing is very, very interesting to me. Ansom said:

But Fate magic is powerless in my case. I know no-one who can wield them.

This suggests that the Arkentools have something to do with Fate Magic... Either in their properties or in their derivation. But what can that be?

And now some questions for all of you:

Will Parson befriend an Arkentool?
Does having an Arkentool attuned to you make you an Overlord in this world? Or is Stanley just doubly fortunate, having both rank and a powerful ancient artifact?Yeah, I guess that's enough questions for now.

Hmm
Wielder of the mighty Arkenpencil (which gives the ability to draw spurious conclusions)

I believe he will befriend Arkenpiels.

because Ansom says later

For Stanley has squandered his leadership forces. He has no-one left to lead his forces. No-one.

Perhaps the author tried to imply that Parson=no-one. Replace all instances of no-one with Parson and you get that Parson can wield arkenpiels and currently commands Stanley's forces.

I think being a warlord and wielding an arkentool can be two different thing. I mean it would be as having an nuclear missle in your garage. Heck you could use it to blow up the world or let it sit tight and do nothing.

BTW is that pencil in one of those first strips on page 22? If so I guess that is the next Arkentool. Because they look arcane.

Bilgore
2007-02-03, 09:32 AM
The Arkenspanner, which undoes nuts without turning them into pigeons, all while complaingin about the uselessness of the other tools (including Stanley)
Wouldn't the Arkenspanner undo enemy plans? Preferably through some divine form of fate magic.

Crazy Ivan
2007-02-06, 08:00 AM
Actually I was recently thinking about the Arkentools and came up with this conclusion.
Each Arkentool controls a unit class, as in, where the Arkenhammer when atuned to an owner can be used to control Dwagons the Arkenpliers when atuned could be used to control Undead. On that one could assume that Arkentools would then do some sort of special damage to its aligned unit class.

But then again no one should EVER repeat EVER rely on my speculation and summary conclusions.

charles
2007-02-06, 09:32 AM
Remember that Stanly is on a quest for the arkentools.

This is only the first installment of erfworld (The battle for Gobwin Knob) There will be more.

But I think fate is becoming more and more of a strong point considering how this comic started in the first two pages (the gem, fated to give an advantage to the marbits).

KaTTaNa
2007-02-06, 01:25 PM
Maybe Arkendie? One of Parson's beta testers said dips on his dice (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0016.html), which would imply that Parson's had some extraordinary dice, maybe even specifically made for his game (5 months...).

Oh, and of course I hope to see the Arkenrocketlauncher, but somehow I doubt it show up :P

Darth Paradox
2007-02-08, 03:24 PM
Dice need not be special to be coveted. Parson may well just have a sizable collection.

Ashildr_the_Bard
2007-02-09, 03:58 AM
I want an arkensauteringiron.

Erk
2007-02-09, 10:36 AM
do you mean soldering? Or is that some kind of word meaning "to add salt to something"? I always thought "salt" was one of those great words that was both noun and verb.... and even adjective with the help of our ubiquitous friend, the letter "y".

Ashildr_the_Bard
2007-02-09, 01:12 PM
That's how we spell soldering here in the South. They don't teach spelling past 3rd grade here in Alabama you know.

Corolinth
2007-02-09, 01:32 PM
Arkensquare
Arkencrowbar
Arkengonzos
Arkenwelder
Arkenjack
Arkenratchet

bdh5533
2007-02-09, 02:38 PM
arkenwrench
arkenscrewdriver
arkensaw

already : arkenhammer arkenpliers

i think those are the basic tools in everyone's toolbox the others are just too specific. if i listed every tool i liked, we'd have a 300 item arken list.

Hilary Moon Murphy
2007-02-10, 11:42 PM
My friend Bret (an otherwise intelligent person who has remained a lurker rather than post his own ideas) has suggested an arkentool that I think would be awesome:

The Arkensafetygoggles -- Confers immunity on the wearer to any sharp stick in the eye and destroys all fashion sense. A most excellent accessory for any ambitious tool.

He also mentioned another interesting idea... Hammers pound, but pliers extract. What exactly are the Arkenpliers extracting when they turn Uncroaked to dust?

Hmm

Erk
2007-02-11, 06:54 AM
No, Hillary: the Arkengoggles, unfortunately, do nothing.

Joxer
2007-02-12, 12:03 AM
not sure what i would call it but there needs to be one that is similar to the little Kid's toy Vaccum cleaner/lawnmower (you know the thing that pops little colored balls around when you push it across the carpet)

Björn
2007-02-12, 11:20 AM
soap! I think that one of the tools should be a bar of soap.

Toric
2007-02-12, 11:22 PM
Yes! Arkensoap! He who wields it controls which words are replaced by "boop"! It also deals lethal damage to people's mouths! I can imagine an Arkentapemeasure or some variation of that name, that functions in battle as a whip and be used to teleport by actually shortening the distance from your location to your destination.

ichthus
2007-02-13, 03:14 PM
BTW is that pencil in one of those first strips on page 22? If so I guess that is the next Arkentool. Because they look arcane.

Nope, I believe that was one of Ansom's Battering Rams... which, knowing this world, are alive and charge at things.

The Arkensafetygoggles -- Confers immunity on the wearer to any sharp stick in the eye and destroys all fashion sense. A most excellent accessory for any ambitious tool.

No, Hillary: the Arkengoggles, unfortunately, do nothing.

For HHGG fans: Maybe they are peril sensitive safety goggles. At the slightest hint of peril, they turn completely black, shielding their wearer from any worry or alarm.

Yellow
2007-02-13, 06:09 PM
Needs ArkenEtchaSketch

Able to alter reality itself, if you can make anything other than a square with the damned thing.

Hankosha
2007-03-20, 04:01 PM
Recap.
Confirmed:
Arkenpliers
ArkenHammer

Suspected:(Arken Left out due to laziness)
(Electric Powertools Excluded)
Brace
Chisel
Hammer
Wrench (Multiple Types)
Screwdriver (Multiple Types)
Saw (Multiple Types)
Clamp
Level
Sponge
Bucket
Shovel
Hoe
Square
Crowbar
Gonzos
Welder
Jack
Ratchet
Ruler
Spanner
Plane
Sieve
Sickle
Pencil
Dice

Ridiculous but possible:
EtchASketch
Soap
Safety Goggles
Toothpick
Pimpwaterpistol
BottleOpener
SwissArmyKnife
BandAids

Personally, I think that the ArkenPliers are going to attune themselves to Wanda, as she is a Croakamancer, and the pliers seem to have some sort of control over the uncroaked.

Imgran
2007-03-20, 05:44 PM
There's GOT to be an Arkenstick. There just has to be.

BTW -- the joke on Stanley the Tool, is, of course, that there's a major American tool manufacturer called Stanleycorp that makes steel tolls

Imgran
2007-03-20, 06:12 PM
EDIT: Doublepost

Studoku
2007-03-20, 07:15 PM
The arkentinopener.

Rocheforte
2007-03-20, 07:26 PM
Ridiculous but possible:
EtchASketch
Soap
Safety Goggles
Toothpick
Pimpwaterpistol
BottleOpener
SwissArmyKnife
BandAids

You forgot Cabbage.

Imgran
2007-03-20, 08:52 PM
What I see the other 5 as being:

Arkenwrench
Arkenrukler
Arkensaw (no way to pass up that joke)
Arkendriver
Arkenpaintbrush

Thugg
2007-03-21, 10:01 AM
Maybe the pliers extract magic?

onasuma
2007-03-21, 11:49 AM
It may do. It would fit.

Imgran
2007-03-21, 04:26 PM
Maybe they have magical tooth removing abilities.

I hope no one's taking their theories seriously yet...

Innis Cabal
2007-03-21, 04:37 PM
arkenpojostick=suber movement speed

Scientivore
2007-03-21, 06:36 PM
The Arkentape grants power over worms. That might not help much unless there happen to be Dune (or Beetlejuice) sandworms around, or maybe if your enemy has intestinal parasites -- from poor medieval city/army camp hygiene, natch -- that you can command to attack...from the inside.

dakiwiboid
2007-03-31, 08:55 PM
If Arkenhammer tames dwagons, Arkenpliers must allow you to tame bwears.

The big fluffy teddy bears that are his heavy calvary.

You mean cloth golems?

dragongirl13
2007-04-15, 12:24 PM
I think it's this: There's the Arkenhammer, the Arkenpliers, the Arkenwrench and the Arkensaw.

Lizard Lord
2009-01-19, 07:55 PM
Arkenscrewdriver - for use in the inevitable scenario that screws are invented - also makes a pretty mean cocktail! It's has a clear plastic handle with a little green light emitting diode inside that lights up in the presence of magic...

fetch

If they make an Arkenscrewdriver it should be like the sonic screwdriver and be able to open up anything. Even enemy gates?

Roland St. Jude
2009-01-20, 12:00 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Please don't do thread necromancy. This thread is really old.