PDA

View Full Version : Forbid (PEACH)

Ivius
2007-01-28, 04:34 PM
This spell is essentially the opposite of suggestion, in that it prevents the subject from doing an action.

Forbid
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Language-Dependant, Mind-Effecting]
Level: Brd 1 Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, M,
Casting Time: One standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 hour/level or until successful save
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You influence the actions of the target creature by stating a course of activity (limited to a sentence or two) for the creature not to engage in. The forbiddence must be worded in such a manner as to make avoiding the activity sound reasonable. Asking the creature not to do an act that is essential to continue life (not breathing, not eating, etc.) will cause the creature to automatically succeed on its will save.

The suggested course of inactivity can continue for the entire duration. However, every time the subject attempts to do the activity specified, it must make a Will save (DC=20+caster level) or be forced not to do the action. If the subject fails, it may not attempt to do the action again for 1 hour. The subject can attempt the action for the first time 1 hour after the spell is cast.

Material Component: A lock of any quality

Mewtarthio
2007-01-28, 04:48 PM
So, an arcane version of Aversion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/aversion.htm)? Seems alright, but it appears as though they automatically get two saving throws against it (once when the spell is cast, and once when they first attempt the stated action). Also, the psionic counterpart is only second-level, but it's limited to Telepaths.

Ivius
2007-01-28, 05:00 PM
I guess you're right, perhaps you'd get your first attempt an hour after it is cast. And though it is pretty much a weaker Aversion, my goal was to make it more available (though in retrospect, I think I should lower the level)

mikeejimbo
2007-01-28, 05:32 PM
Does it counter and dispel suggestion? That might be handy.

Ivius
2007-01-28, 05:50 PM
Well, you'd have to know what the original command was. And the target would then have to make the will save every hour, which then suppresses the suggestion until the next opportunity to attempt the save if they fail. So if the target fails the first save, then the suggestion is countered for at least an hour. I guess the best best way to explain it would be to treat suggestion as a natural craving or desire to do something.

Fredderf
2007-01-28, 06:04 PM
Cool! I don't know why I never thought of this before. Clever.

Steward
2007-01-28, 06:07 PM
Asking the creature not to do an act that is essential to continue life (not breathing, not eating, etc.)

What is this sentence supposed to mean?

Ivius
2007-01-28, 06:11 PM
Whoops. I meant to say that you can't, thanks for catching that.

Icewalker
2007-01-28, 11:47 PM
Cool idea. Maybe it should be able to automatically cancel out a suggestion spell if worded to forbid what was suggested, like something special happens, and they are both dispelled. Seems easier than trying to have them still trying to do the Suggestion then saving against the Forbid.

Picasso007
2007-01-29, 03:52 AM
I was going to suggest that the level of this spell be raised to match Suggestion, but then I realized that the entire spell is redundant. Suggestion in-and-of-itself allows for a forbid effect, for example "I suggest that you not do X..."

You influence the actions of the target creature by suggesting a course of activity (limited to a sentence or two). The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the activity sound reasonable. Asking the creature to do some obviously harmful act automatically negates the effect of the spell.
To borrow a line, "choosing to do nothing is still a choice."

It's a good idea, as I suspect many don't realize Suggestion can be used like that (heck, it took me a few minutes), and I don't mean to rain on your parade, but, umm, yeah, you don't need Forbid if you have Suggestion.

(FWIW, and as further proof, you can double-negative Forbid into Suggestion, "I forbid you from not doing X...".

Peregrine
2007-01-29, 11:47 AM
Does it counter and dispel suggestion? That might be handy.

Well, you'd have to know what the original command was. And the target would then have to make the will save every hour, which then suppresses the suggestion until the next opportunity to attempt the save if they fail. So if the target fails the first save, then the suggestion is countered for at least an hour. I guess the best best way to explain it would be to treat suggestion as a natural craving or desire to do something.

I think you're misunderstanding what 'counter and dispel' means. If you tried to directly counteract one spell's effects with the other, then yes, you would have to know what the original command was. But that's neither countering nor dispelling.

Countering means using it as a counterspell, i.e. you cast it at the same time as someone casts the other spell to automatically negate their casting. Dispelling means that if you cast one spell, then the other, on the same target, they cancel out, regardless of parameters like the command given.

And Picasso has a good point... but a double-negative forbid is pretty convoluted, and so if you could word it so as to, ahem, forbid such a thing, then forbid still works as a lower-level, limited suggestion.