PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Cantor PrC -- a Bard/Cleric Synthesis

Firechanter
2014-02-12, 03:21 PM
I once asked about a possibility to build a character with (largely intact) Cleric spellcasting and Bardic Music with official material, and was surprised to hear that there are not really many options for this in 3.5.
There's the Divine Bard, but his spellcasting is a long shot from a Cleric's.
There's the Initiate of Milil feat, but it doesn't advance Inspire Courage.

Pathfinder has the Evangelist archetype for Cleric, which might be backported to 3.5 by splitting it up into individual ACFs. (FWIW it's one of the very few Cleric archetypes that don't suck.)

But anyway, I was thinking if we could maybe create a new PrC that combines these two key features?
So here is a first draft, would be swell if you felt like working with me on this one.

NOTE: in my games, Bards can be of _any_ Alignment. Also, they gain proficiency with all Martial Weapons.

Intended Tier placement: T1-2.

Prestige Class: Cantor

The Cantor is a priest who conveys the power of her faith with inspiring hymns to touch the hearts of her congregation - though they sacrifice some physical prowess in turn.

Requirements:
Skills: Knowledge (Religion) 6 ranks, Perform (Chant) 6 ranks
Special: Bardic Music ability, Turn Undead ability
Spells: able to cast 2nd level Divine spells

I'm not exactly sure about the requirements. Suggestions?

Hit Die: d6
Skill Points: 4+Int
Weapons & Armour Proficiency: none gained

BAB: Low
Fort: Low
Ref: Low
Will: High

Class Features:
Spellcasting: +1 level of existing Divine spellcasting class gained on each level.
Bardic Music: the levels of Bard and Cantor stack for purposes of determining the type and effect of available Bardic Music.
The Cantor gains 1 additional use of Bardic Music for every 2 class levels.

Specials:

Level 1: Divine Chant (Su): the Cantor can spend a Turn Undead attempt as a Free Action to gain one additional use of Bardic Music.

Level 3: Enduring Chant (Su): the Cantor can spend a Turn Undead attempt as a Free Action to maintain his Bardic Music even when he would normally not be able to do so.

What I also want to implement is some "Extended Spell Knowledge", i.e. the possibility to add a small number of Bard spells to the Cleric spell list. Maybe with a limitation so Sonic and/or Mind-Affecting spells. Not sure how to phrase it, though.

Any additional gravy...?

That's my current status. Looking forward to your feedback. :)