PDA

View Full Version : Scout Backstory

Teapot Salty
2014-02-15, 12:50 PM
Hey guys. I recently made a scout, and the backstory is a little flimsy at this point. He was raised in a lower middle class family, when the king invited all his subjects to a feast. Realizing that the king was a good man, he decided to figure out a way to help him in some way shape or form. So between chores and resting, he trained to fight, and since he would be an under equipped fighter due to his being relatively poor (to poor to afford formal training and well crafted arms and armor) he trained to skirmish. He (somehow, this is a missing link) managed to get the king to bring him into employment, and he became a sort of judge, jury and executioner for outlaws. For some reason he (the scout) left the kingdom (I'm thinking the king was assassinated) and started adventuring because ____________. Any help filling in the blanks would be much appreciated.

Gavran
2014-02-15, 12:59 PM
How about a classic "the king's guard are chasing <dangerous bad guy> and need the assistance of a local guide to help track him through <local terrain>" situation? Might be a bit more Ranger-y than you're going for, but it's plausible enough as an "in" to the king's service.

Teapot Salty
2014-02-15, 01:18 PM
How about a classic "the king's guard are chasing <dangerous bad guy> and need the assistance of a local guide to help track him through <local terrain>" situation? Might be a bit more Ranger-y than you're going for, but it's plausible enough as an "in" to the king's service.
Ya, and it's totally possible since he could have gone exploring a lot in his childhood.

Red Fel
2014-02-15, 02:12 PM
You're trying to tie him too closely to the king, too soon. Consider this option.

1. He goes to the ball, admires the king.

2. He grows up wanting to serve the king. Trains.

3. During his youth/teenage years, he catches a thief in the act, realizes he has some skill, becomes a thiefcatcher. Over time, advances to bounty hunting.

4. Catches someone big enough to draw the king's attention. Receives recognition, becomes some sort of royal-certified bounty hunter.

Consider also the fact that, unless your character is starting at higher levels, you're unlikely to be worthy of note of the king. A local noble, perhaps, like a duke, baron, or lord, but not the king. From levels 1-3, you're well above average; starting around level 5 you're a local hero. So unless you're starting at 5, consider switching "king" for a more local noble.

As for becoming an adventurer... That's trickier. Most characters tend to receive royal recognition after they become adventurers, not before. So perhaps you want to switch your story around some. He admires the king, wants to serve the king, but he's not impressive enough yet. So after realizing he has a knack for whatever-it-is-he-does, he decides to set out into the world, hone his skills and earn a name for himself, in hopes of returning an impressive enough specimen to serve at the king's right hand.

Teapot Salty
2014-02-15, 02:18 PM
You're trying to tie him too closely to the king, too soon. Consider this option.

1. He goes to the ball, admires the king.

2. He grows up wanting to serve the king. Trains.

3. During his youth/teenage years, he catches a thief in the act, realizes he has some skill, becomes a thiefcatcher. Over time, advances to bounty hunting.

4. Catches someone big enough to draw the king's attention. Receives recognition, becomes some sort of royal-certified bounty hunter.

Consider also the fact that, unless your character is starting at higher levels, you're unlikely to be worthy of note of the king. A local noble, perhaps, like a duke, baron, or lord, but not the king. From levels 1-3, you're well above average; starting around level 5 you're a local hero. So unless you're starting at 5, consider switching "king" for a more local noble.

As for becoming an adventurer... That's trickier. Most characters tend to receive royal recognition after they become adventurers, not before. So perhaps you want to switch your story around some. He admires the king, wants to serve the king, but he's not impressive enough yet. So after realizing he has a knack for whatever-it-is-he-does, he decides to set out into the world, hone his skills and earn a name for himself, in hopes of returning an impressive enough specimen to serve at the king's right hand.

That is an excellent idea, works a lot better than "ya I served the king, oh he's dead, bye."

Red Fel
2014-02-15, 02:49 PM
That is an excellent idea, works a lot better than "ya I served the king, oh he's dead, bye."

In fact, you can get a lot more into your backstory by limiting your contact with the king.

For example, you could have come to Name McGuardpants, Captain of the Royal Guard, seeking to serve His Majesty. This is now a named NPC with whom you have prior contact, and you probably resent him for laughing at you before sending you away.

You may also have had contact with other people in the Court, or members of the royal household staff, or members of the local guard or constabulatory... Instead of just limiting yourself to one NPC (the king) who has no real reason to remember you, throw in a bunch of NPCs who alternately encouraged or discouraged you. Each one you name, each one to whom you give an identity and an action, becomes an NPC the DM can use to help you flesh out your character in-game.

For example, at some point the party may return to your PC's hometown. The local sheriff, Geoff McLaw, may see you. "Scouty? Little Scouty McDoGooder? Is that you? My goodness, how you've grown!" You might return to the castle upon invitation from the King, and find Name McGuardpants still there. "Captain McGuardpants," you might say, "So good to see you again." "Have we... met, adventurer?" "We have," you might respond. "Three years ago, you told me I'd never be worthy to serve His Majesty." Then you wave the invitation in his face and smirk.

See? Flesh it out.

More importantly, remember that adventuring shouldn't be the end of your character's story. While some characters simply want to get out there and see the world, perpetually, others have goals, dreams, ambitions; adventuring is merely a means to that end. Some want power, some wealth, some glory. Think of the OoTS cast. V wants arcane power; Haley wants wealth (and to rescue her father), Roy wants vengeance.

Don't just say, "My character wanted to serve the king, now he's dead, time to adventure." Say "My character wants to serve the king, time to adventure, and I'll return someday." It becomes dramatic and powerful. It gives your character something to strive for. It gives your DM something to kill if he wants you to cry. It's plot-bait, instead of simply backstory.

Teapot Salty
2014-02-15, 07:08 PM
In fact, you can get a lot more into your backstory by limiting your contact with the king.

For example, you could have come to Name McGuardpants, Captain of the Royal Guard, seeking to serve His Majesty. This is now a named NPC with whom you have prior contact, and you probably resent him for laughing at you before sending you away.

You may also have had contact with other people in the Court, or members of the royal household staff, or members of the local guard or constabulatory... Instead of just limiting yourself to one NPC (the king) who has no real reason to remember you, throw in a bunch of NPCs who alternately encouraged or discouraged you. Each one you name, each one to whom you give an identity and an action, becomes an NPC the DM can use to help you flesh out your character in-game.

For example, at some point the party may return to your PC's hometown. The local sheriff, Geoff McLaw, may see you. "Scouty? Little Scouty McDoGooder? Is that you? My goodness, how you've grown!" You might return to the castle upon invitation from the King, and find Name McGuardpants still there. "Captain McGuardpants," you might say, "So good to see you again." "Have we... met, adventurer?" "We have," you might respond. "Three years ago, you told me I'd never be worthy to serve His Majesty." Then you wave the invitation in his face and smirk.

See? Flesh it out.

More importantly, remember that adventuring shouldn't be the end of your character's story. While some characters simply want to get out there and see the world, perpetually, others have goals, dreams, ambitions; adventuring is merely a means to that end. Some want power, some wealth, some glory. Think of the OoTS cast. V wants arcane power; Haley wants wealth (and to rescue her father), Roy wants vengeance.

Don't just say, "My character wanted to serve the king, now he's dead, time to adventure." Say "My character wants to serve the king, time to adventure, and I'll return someday." It becomes dramatic and powerful. It gives your character something to strive for. It gives your DM something to kill if he wants you to cry. It's plot-bait, instead of simply backstory.

Never thought of multiing npcs before, its a good idea. My only beef now is to explain a level of rage that he has (he will multiclass in barbarian)

Red Fel
2014-02-15, 11:47 PM
Never thought of multiing npcs before, its a good idea. My only beef now is to explain a level of rage that he has (he will multiclass in barbarian)

Rage doesn't have to be expressed as anger; it's savagery, wildness, untamed potential, but not necessarily anger. It can fit rather nicely with someone who spends his time in the wilderness. It's that adrenal rush when you're about to take down your prey, that surge of conviction as you aim an arrow at its eye, that lightning thrill as you loose your bow, that carnal satisfaction as the arrow strikes home. Or it's the sudden chill when steel is drawn, the grim eagerness that flows through your blood as metal strikes metal, and that shuddering pleasure when your blade finds its home in flesh. It's predatory, primal, and brutal; but it's not necessarily anger.

If you spend time out hunting (for beasts or baddies), it's not unfair to suggest that at some point during your time in the wilderness, the wilderness spent some time in you, too.

Teapot Salty
2014-02-16, 12:10 AM
Rage doesn't have to be expressed as anger; it's savagery, wildness, untamed potential, but not necessarily anger. It can fit rather nicely with someone who spends his time in the wilderness. It's that adrenal rush when you're about to take down your prey, that surge of conviction as you aim an arrow at its eye, that lightning thrill as you loose your bow, that carnal satisfaction as the arrow strikes home. Or it's the sudden chill when steel is drawn, the grim eagerness that flows through your blood as metal strikes metal, and that shuddering pleasure when your blade finds its home in flesh. It's predatory, primal, and brutal; but it's not necessarily anger.

If you spend time out hunting (for beasts or baddies), it's not unfair to suggest that at some point during your time in the wilderness, the wilderness spent some time in you, too.
Poetic and effective, thanks so much for your help:smallsmile:

Berenger
2014-02-18, 03:28 AM
I was going to suggest the "Scouty participated in the yearly [His Wepon of Choice] Contest!", but the suggestions so far seem far more interesting. As for barbarian rage, it is perfectly normal to "lose it" in close combat slaughter. While a more formally trained fighters style might be diminished by this, it is actually an improvement for Scouty McSelfmade.