PDA

View Full Version : Erfworld Merchandise Ideas

pclips
2007-01-30, 10:40 AM
Okay, there have been a lot of calls for Erfworld merchandise in various threads. There is a book planned, so that is covered. What else?

I'm really looking for what you'd actually pay to own, because merchandise is expensive, slow, and a pain to deal with. We'd like to start with a few sensible items to have with us for the Summer convention season (or sooner). So what should we make?

A poster is likely, because it's not too hard to make. But what size, and what should be on it?

At least one T-shirt is very likely. But again, what images, text, or other parts of Erfworld would you want to wear?

We're considering other items, too. For example, would you pay $5 for a bright yellow bar of soap shaped like a gwiffon and smelling like marshmallow? Have you seen some cool little trinket that would be perfect for our universe? Post your ideas and comments here.

WampaX
2007-01-30, 10:57 AM
I know someone else will suggest it, but I'll be the first.

An Erfworld "Idiot" button. :smallamused:

Darth Paradox
2007-01-30, 11:55 AM
You should consider selling Arkenhammers. I'm pretty sure you can get them in bulk, and then customize them somehow? (There are probably places willing to put messages on them too.)

Gwiffon merch might be tough. Is the Peep likeness trademarked?

Vontango
2007-01-30, 12:31 PM
Page 18, panel 5. Parson saying "Aaah! Ow!" while camere is focused on face.

That would make a great shirt.

That or Page 19, last panel. A poster of a fat nerd toweing over a small guy would look good on the wall.

Vontango
2007-01-30, 12:33 PM
Oh! Here's one!

A shirt with Stanley gleefully yelling "I'm a Tool!"

I'd buy ten.

Tnetalque
2007-01-30, 01:04 PM
Well, the Hamstard shirt.

And, I suppose, a "When life gives you crap, make crap golems" shirt/button.

talonos
2007-01-30, 01:09 PM
I'd buy the game.

Book, I wouldn't, shirts, nu-uh, but if you create an Erf-world miniatures game/campaign setting/board game, I'd buy it.

Om
2007-01-30, 01:09 PM
You should consider selling Arkenhammers. I'm pretty sure you can get them in bulk, and then customize them somehow? (There are probably places willing to put messages on them too.)
http://www.clubworkout.com/bonvoyage/wow/bla_cupkid.jpg
Hammered by the Irish :smallcool:

Personally speaking it will probably cost too much for me to feed the Merch from across the Atlantic. I wouldn't mind some "Erfworld Idiot" gear though.

WampaX
2007-01-30, 01:20 PM
Well, the Hamstard shirt.

Just about taken care of . . . (http://www.cafepress.com/hamstard/)
You'll need to supply your own stain and dye it blue, but that last one is nothing washing it with new blue jeans won't take care of.

Wallyz
2007-01-30, 01:26 PM
Hamstard Shirts, Hamstard in 3/4 saying "Hott" Shirts
Erfworld Idiot and Tool buttons and Shirts
Arkenhammers could be good for Conventions, but I wouldn't order one.
The Game would do well, I think, but I don't have anyone to play with right now. (St Joe MO, Anyone?)

And Yes, the "I am a Tool" shirt with or without Stanley

And, you would be popular a convention if you had a "dress like Wanda" contest.

Jester42
2007-01-30, 01:28 PM
How about Peeps repackaged in boxes that are labled gwifins

Wallyz
2007-01-30, 01:30 PM
That would be interesting.

jami
2007-01-30, 01:47 PM
http://www.clubworkout.com/bonvoyage/wow/bla_cupkid.jpg
Hammered by the Irish :smallcool:

Personally speaking it will probably cost too much for me to feed the Merch from across the Atlantic. I wouldn't mind some "Erfworld Idiot" gear though.

LOL!!

and LOL again to get enough characters in my post!

Setra
2007-01-30, 01:59 PM
Maybe a shirt with a dwagon on it, and some humorous caption perhaps.

"Cute? I'll burn your face off for that" I find that funny.

Neofite
2007-01-30, 02:01 PM
for a Tee i would say an "I'm a Tool" shirt would be great, or maybe on done Brady Bunch style with all main Characters on it.

Colt
2007-01-30, 02:30 PM
I would love a "When live gives you crap, make crap golems" shirt or button

Rocheforte
2007-01-30, 02:33 PM
As far as t-shirts go, I'd love one, but the image has to stand alone, instead of relying on background knowledge of the strip. I've been proselytizing the masses, but character recognition among the populace is still pretty low. Perhaps the planned cover art for the book?

A "Good Guys" tee with Ansome and his forces, and of course a "Bad Guys" one with Stanley.

Perhaps a bestiary? Is the original ORLY image traceable to any particular person, or is it in the public domain?

Muscadine
2007-01-30, 04:53 PM
Seconding:
"When life gives you crap, make crap golems" would make a great t-shirt.
"I'm a tool" tshirt or poster, with or without Stanley

Also,
"Boop me in the boop" tshirt
"Hippiemancer" tshirt or poster, perhaps with an accompanying suitable illustration.
"Squatter Hobbit" tshirt

Erk
2007-01-30, 05:07 PM
I want a "when life gives you crap, make crap golems" button or t-shirt, and an "I'm a tool" something. T-shirt or poster.

I would love a poster of almost anything in the blow-up-erfworld thread, ideally one of the wide-pan shots like Wanda flying into Gobwin Knob, or maybe the Elvii building Erfworld. Jamie's art is so great, almost anything would do. A glamour shot with all the main characters (or many of) would be even awesomer but of course would require more art-making time that Jamie should be spending drawing us more Erfworld comics.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-01-30, 08:03 PM
1) "I am a Tool!" shirt and/or button. Seriously, anyone who has seen/read the comic will see this and fall over laughing. Anyone who hasn't will see a munchkin exclaiming that he is a tool, assume it's a gaming reference, and fall over laughing. This has got to be your #1 seller.

2) "When life gives you crap, make crap golems." Shirt/Button. This can also be a regular gaming reference, and is a cute twist on the lemons/lemonade saying. Gamers will grab this one up just for fun. Write up D&D 3.5 stats for a 'crap golem' and stamp it on as a background if you like.

Unfortunately, my financial situation is tight enough that I wouldn't be able to acutally purchase any, but if I had the extra cash (like cash specifically saved back and you happened to be at a Con in my area), I'd probably snag one.

Words of advice:

1) Buttons and bumper stickers are cheap. Start with those.

2) Original artwork can be turned into Prints, then autographed and put in the Art Show of many conventions. This could also be a source of income if there is a demand. Probably not so good right now, but if Erfworld gets as big as OotS (a distinct possibility), a year or two down the line, they could be easily marketable.

Erk
2007-01-30, 08:30 PM
Buttons, stickers, and mugs all sound like fun smaller items to me, and t-shirts, hoodies, and posters are givens. I would be willing to buy quite a few stickers. My students would have no idea what they were, but they would still be fun prizes for in class.

hitogoroshi
2007-01-30, 08:54 PM
I agree with the "When life gives you crap, make crap golems" tee-shirt. Also, maybe somehting featuring the Arkentools, when we see enough?

Aiani
2007-01-30, 11:31 PM
Anything with skeletons on it. Seriously I love the skeletons in Erfworld and a tee shirt with a skelly on it would just about make my day.

ChimericPhase
2007-01-31, 12:05 AM
Plushie Marbits, dwagons, and gwiffens going "mwaaaah!"

My heart would sing and I'd buy ten.

EdgarVerona
2007-01-31, 01:40 AM
As I said in another thread, I'm 100% in support of a vague but Erfworld-fan appreciated "arkenhammer shirt".

For those who didn't read that thread, it would be very simple. A large picture of the arkenhammer on the front. Optionally on the back, it could say something like "Chirp!" or something to vaguely imply the Arkenhammer. Us Erfworld fans would get it and be highly amused, and it would be a conversation piece that we wearers of it could use to plug Erfworld to our fellow nerds.

TinSoldier
2007-01-31, 10:59 AM
Erfworld breakfast cereal--now with even MORE Marbits!

Robberbaron
2007-01-31, 11:35 AM
For some reason I'm thinking something with OMGWTFBBQ on it.

pclips
2007-01-31, 02:43 PM
No love for the mashmallow-scented gwiffon soaps?

Robberbaron
2007-01-31, 04:44 PM
Peeps are nasty, and I don't do scented soap, so none here, sorry mate.

Drekhan
2007-01-31, 05:39 PM
Wanda Firebaugh lighter?

Estelindis
2007-01-31, 06:38 PM
Actually, I think the soaps would be funky. Very nice as stocking-fillers - and anything that smells of marshmellow rocks!

In terms of other things (for which I would pay money), I reckon that t-shirts with the character pictures and information on the cast page would be a good plan - they're quite funny, and are immediately accessible to people who haven't read the comic before. I'll echo the erfworld idiot/tool badge idea too.

skreweded
2007-01-31, 06:47 PM
I would buy a wanda firebaugh zippo style lighter.

Grey Watcher
2007-01-31, 06:53 PM
Plush dolls.

I'm serious. You've got this whole quasi-childlike aesthetic going, why not take it to it's logical conclusion?

Om
2007-01-31, 07:15 PM
Plush dolls.

I'm serious. You've got this whole quasi-childlike aesthetic going, why not take it to it's logical conclusion?Be honest, you just want to sleep with Wanda :smallwink:

Reptilius
2007-01-31, 08:15 PM
What about something detailing or showing the way-too-many varieties of elves. Eager, Tardy, Shady, Woodsy, Luckless, Schlemiel, etc. I like the sort of mocking fact that there are a lot of elf varieties. There are too many to choke down in regular fantasy RPGs.

skreweded
2007-01-31, 09:18 PM
You may be able to make a little cash making it into a rules set. I know I might even think about buying it, just because that would kick ass...

TheAnimal
2007-02-01, 08:14 AM
Be honest, you just want to sleep with Wanda :smallwink:
What red-blooded male doesn't? :smalltongue:

Also, I would totally buy a "When life gives you crap..." T-shirt.
I bet an "I am a Tool!" tee with a happy Stanley the Tool picture would be a bestseller, too.
I also second the motion for an "Erfworld Tool" button (as seen in sig).

Oh, and on the "not so much" side of things:
Marshmallow-scented soap + little kiddies = a lot of sore tummies.

Jester42
2007-02-01, 02:11 PM
How about a shirt with the text on the back that says "golem factory" with an arrow pointing down.

Ravenwind
2007-02-01, 03:32 PM
An idea, building on the call for something featuring the Arkentools when more are revealed:

Put 'em on a shirt, sure, but around the entire body, suspended on a "toolbelt." ;) Might be harder to apply to the shirt, but it'd be a bit more original than the usual picture in front, cute saying on the back (or vice versa).

"With these tools, the Creator built the world in seven moves. . . . ?"

And yes, seconding/thirding/forthing the call for the game itself. That would be fun.

Edited: What other mottos could there be?

"How many tools do YOU control?"

"Never get between a man and his tools."

I'd say "Tool-Time," but there might be copyright issues there. . . .

gooddragon1
2007-02-01, 07:11 PM
I'm sorta sad because of one of the rules of the internet:
If it exists, there's <blank> of it.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 07:32 PM
How about a shirt with the text on the back that says "golem factory" with an arrow pointing down.

This is awesome! I would buy this if I had a credit card to buy things online with.

Mr Teufel
2007-02-02, 03:48 AM
"If life gives you crap..." on a coffee mug.

Machiara
2007-02-02, 05:54 PM
I would buy an Erfworld board game or something similar (I own the OotS adventure game). I probably wouldn't buy shirts (where would I wear them?).

If you made a "background book" like "OotS: The Origin of PCs" I would certainly buy it.

Grey Watcher
2007-02-03, 11:12 PM
What red-blooded male doesn't? :smalltongue:

:raises hand:

But that's beside the point. I just thought it would be pretty cute. But then I always think plush dolls are cute.... Stupid remnant of childhood.... Discontinue the Indigo doll before I can get one, will they...? Mumble, grumble........

Azukar
2007-02-05, 11:20 PM
If Jamie has some spare time (okay, so I can't use the phrase "spare time" with a straight face) maybe some small books of Erfworld art? Not actual comics, but concept art, failed drawings, extra bits and pieces that just display facets of Erfworld we might not otherwise see..

Final Fantasy IX did this - they made a coffee-table-style book which had concept art from all the main artists, sketches and paintings of all the world locations, and even some Amano art. it's a really nice book to read even if you never played or liked FFIX.

charles
2007-02-06, 08:18 AM
a book detailing the initial crusades of Stanly the Plaid to get the arkentools including his finding of the arkenhammer and the eventual rise of Jillian and Ansom to stop him (not to mention Ansom finding the Pliers or them being given to him).

Bilgore
2007-02-06, 10:02 AM
I'm just waiting for someone to post the Erfworld icon/wallpaper/WAV set for Windows.

Icons would be cloth golems, doombats, etc. and the wallpaper would obviously be a hex map of Gobwin Knob.

Azukar
2007-02-07, 06:07 AM
whoah, when did I suddenly become a dwarf? I was a halfling last time I checked...

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-02-10, 05:01 AM
I know someone else will suggest it, but I'll be the first.

An Erfworld "Idiot" button. :smallamused:

Actually there was a poster above him that said the same thing, but he has now been banned and his post deleted.

Cryo
2007-02-10, 02:14 PM
First thing that came to mind was this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobblehead) :smallsmile: With the art style (big heads), I thought it would be perfect. (No idea if one can get customized bobbleheads though).

Oh, oh! And dwagons in that (http://www.stupid.com/keychains/poopers.htm)style :smallbiggrin:

Doubt either are feasible but it would make me laugh. Heheheh.

Rama_Lei
2007-02-10, 02:36 PM
Marbits and superflous elves. Either of those and i'm go.

Shott
2007-02-11, 04:52 PM
And, I suppose, a "When life gives you crap, make crap golems" shirt/button.

Agreed. That's the major one I would want.

Björn
2007-02-12, 11:15 AM
I would like a dwagon as a stuffed animal.
a calendar would also be good, you can always hang the pictures on the wall after the year is over and the only thing you wrote in it was when your Internet comics update.
I know I have seen the arken hammer as a toy some place.

pclips "No love for the mashmallow-scented gwiffon soaps?"

you want to sell soap to gamers?
I mean it is a worthy idea. and some of the gamers really need to acquaint themselves with this tool.
soap a magic item gives a +2 to attract females if used regularly! soap! use some today!
but I'm not sure that it will take off financially.

most of the other good ideas have already been thought of.
crap gollum's tee shirt is a good idea put a red/white bulls eye on the back in reference to the umbrella.

on another forum they have been using the I can taste key lime pie a good bit, that image on a tee shirt could sell.

uncroked by Wanda would also be amusing.

roadkiller
2007-02-12, 05:46 PM
I am truely surprised that no one as though of it yet but, "PLOT" tees would be great.

Dratsabre Tsabala
2007-02-14, 03:48 AM
That... is a fantastic idea. A bit insular, really, but honestly-- if you're not already a fan of Erfworld, why are you buying the merchandise, anyway? I'd wear one.

Personally, I like the idea of an Arkenhammer shirt. I can picture it: The Arkenhammer lying on it's side by the remains of a crushed walnut, a pigeon perched on the handle, possibly preening itself. The caption would be "Sometimes you just need to bust a nut."

[Post-edit: for purposes of this being a merchandising focus group, I should probably also chime in that I'm quite fond of the other two or three ideas that seem near-universally glommed onto in this thread, specifically the "Crap Golem" and "(I'm a) Tool" concepts.]

TheAnimal
2007-02-14, 05:25 AM
Personally, I like the idea of an Arkenhammer shirt. I can picture it: The Arkenhammer lying on it's side by the remains of a crushed walnut, a pigeon perched on the handle, possibly preening itself. The caption would be "Sometimes you just need to bust a nut."
Oh yeah, that sounds cool! :smallcool:

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-15, 02:16 AM
The "Bust a nut", "When Life gives you crap...", and "I'm a tool" things all sound great.

...am I the only one who'd love to see the cloth golem vs spidew immortalized on clothing?

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-15, 02:20 AM
...the "PLOT!" thing others have mentioned is also good.

...I'd like to see something incorporating the arkentools as well. Or the magic hat and the IM book.

...and a "know your elves" thing might be cool, too...

...oh, and I might be crazy, but something that says "I speak Language" could be fun.
Or even "Looking for warlord. Must speak Language."

Beelzebub1111
2007-02-17, 11:25 AM
A shirt with stanley on the front giving the thumbs up and the words "I am a Tool!"

EdgarVerona
2007-02-22, 02:35 AM
So where's the merchandise already guys? =) Set up a cheap CafePress store and throw some sketches on shirts if you have to. =) You're missing a golden opportunity to make dolla' bills y'all! =)

Seriously though, I heartily reccommend just throwing together what you can, at least for this first run. Cafepress won't cost you much (or any if you set up the free shop), and you can begin making money on products we want already while you plan for more targeted and premeditated merchandising.

Like I said though, you've got me sold if you make an Arkenhammer shirt. With Cafepress, you've got nothing to lose! (and I won't try to make it myself, I'd rather give to the good cause... but I'm-a hankerin' for some serious Merch here ;) )

EdgarVerona
2007-02-22, 02:40 AM
WHOA, stop the presses! Before you follow my prior suggestion of just putting out whatever you can for a first run and then giving it thought later while you're making money, you've GOT to have a T-Shirt of Hamstard saying "While you appear to be 'Helping', you are technically '(a word I apparently can't say in the forum though it's in the linked hamstard Comic strip).'" From http://www.hamstard.com/index.php?strip_id=27

If that T-Shirt isn't worth 18-20 dollars, no T-Shirt is. I challenge someone to find a T-Shirt more deserving of a Lincoln.

charles
2007-02-23, 02:06 PM
I suddenly seem to remember a poster tha JAMI did with a picture of Wanda saying:

"Croakamancy never looked so good"

Possibly that with a full erfworld figure of Wanda on the back.

I'd also actually buy a shirt or something with that poster of Jami's girl and her dragon on it. It just had a cool, powerful yet gentle look about it.

Darth Paradox
2007-02-23, 04:20 PM
So where's the merchandise already guys? =) Set up a cheap CafePress store and throw some sketches on shirts if you have to. =) You're missing a golden opportunity to make dolla' bills y'all! =)

Seriously though, I heartily reccommend just throwing together what you can, at least for this first run. Cafepress won't cost you much (or any if you set up the free shop), and you can begin making money on products we want already while you plan for more targeted and premeditated merchandising.

Like I said though, you've got me sold if you make an Arkenhammer shirt. With Cafepress, you've got nothing to lose! (and I won't try to make it myself, I'd rather give to the good cause... but I'm-a hankerin' for some serious Merch here ;) )

If the quality of CafePress shirts is as I remember it to be, it may cost them the confidence of their readers in their ability to deliver quality merchandise.

Robberbaron
2007-02-24, 12:13 AM
What's good for the goose is good for the gander?

Check out the OoTs loot mate.

EdgarVerona
2007-02-24, 01:32 AM
I dunno, I think they've gotten better in recent years... I got some CafePress stuff about 6 months ago for the Sinfest web comic, and it's still going strong. Full, bold color, a bit worn out but so's any color print after 6 months. I'd be satisfied =)

blatto
2007-02-26, 06:43 AM
If the quality of CafePress shirts is as I remember it to be, it may cost them the confidence of their readers in their ability to deliver quality merchandise.

Not to mention the added confusion in the bedroom with the "I'm a tool!" caption on the CafePress thong front.

lovelyluthien
2007-02-26, 08:06 AM
How about a poster of Erfworld 28? Fanservice and all that. Man, I'D buy that, and I'm a girl!

Other: I agree with the "crap golem" and "tool" shirt ideas, they're great.

agentx42
2007-02-26, 12:07 PM
I'm going to send Rob twenty bucks a month. Don't need to even buy anything, because I don't have room for it anyway. He's happy, I'm happy, everybody's happy.

What? I'm eliminating the middleman!

Darth Paradox
2007-02-26, 12:07 PM
I dunno, I think they've gotten better in recent years... I got some CafePress stuff about 6 months ago for the Sinfest web comic, and it's still going strong. Full, bold color, a bit worn out but so's any color print after 6 months. I'd be satisfied =)

That's good. I haven't ordered from them since the POS shirt I got from them for another webcomic about six years ago. Maybe it's time to give them another try.

pclips
2007-02-26, 01:45 PM
I love the idea of just giving me money. I hope it never comes to that, though. We'll come up with something you'd like and have room for, if only the book. :smallbiggrin:

We've made some decisions about what merch we will have, and when. The first stuff will likely be buttons, but I am not sure what cons we'll have them for. I'm going to start a thread about conventions, too. Jami is currently working on an item that looks to be pretty amazing, so stay tuned and keep throwing out suggestions.

Strengfellow
2007-02-26, 07:45 PM
Well when everythings created I will stump up the cash for a crap golem tee, stan and wanda posters and the book although im dreading the cost of importing said gubbins.

Eldritch_Ent
2007-03-06, 09:39 PM
Yeah, the "Crap Golems" line would definitely sell big...

You should also sell various patchworked-looking plushes and lable them "Cloth Golems'. And possibly have an "elf of the day/week/month" Calendar.

benthehater
2007-03-07, 01:07 PM
I'd think that simply "boop." alone could be sufficiently smug/insider enough to fix on people who buy t-shirts for the smug/insider feeling. "boop me in the boop" is contextually clear enough for non-insiders, while "boop." alone is lost in a web of mysterious mysteriousness.

Calemyr
2007-03-07, 02:29 PM
Here are an idea for you: a black shirt with a gold "Erfworld Warlord" badge (similar to the "Tool" and "Idiot" ones used on this board) on the front pocket area, on the back the words "I bite the heads of Gwiffons and eat Marbits for breakfast."

TheSultan
2007-03-07, 04:07 PM
You could market your own brand of crochet sets; then we get our Arkenhammers AND a backyard game.

Panda So Angry
2007-03-08, 12:48 AM
The Dwagonlover's Guide to Erf.

Could be the anything and everything you ever wanted (or not) to know about Erfworld. Consider the fact that the Pern book (if you didn't realise where I blatantly ripped the title from) has recipes in it. So, just about anything that isn't mentioned or gone over in any detail in the other book (ya know, like whatever gets revealed through the course of the comic) could end up in a companion book like this.

averagejoe
2007-03-08, 01:57 AM
Actually, I think the latest one would make a great shirt. You could have, "What makes you think we're the 'bad guys?'" with a smug looking Stanely, a dominatrix-y wanda, Bogroll, and some of the uglier/more sinister looking minions. Possibly the uncroaked Lord Manpower the Temporary. You know, the icons, but also portrayed so that it is very obvious to the lay-person that these guys are evil, both for ironic and accessibility purposes.

TheAnimal
2007-03-08, 08:06 AM
Here are an idea for you: a black shirt with a gold "Erfworld Warlord" badge (similar to the "Tool" and "Idiot" ones used on this board) on the front pocket area, on the back the words "I bite the heads of Gwiffons and eat Marbits for breakfast."
With or without a giant red bullseye?:smallbiggrin:

Panda So Angry
2007-03-08, 11:40 AM
With or without a giant red bullseye?:smallbiggrin:

Yeah, a black shirt with a nice red bullseye on the front and WARLORD on the back. There can be a few different kinds since the other uncroaked warlords have other kinds of targets on their chest.

SteveMB
2007-03-08, 01:50 PM
Actually, I think the latest one would make a great shirt. You could have, "What makes you think we're the 'bad guys?'" with a smug looking Stanely, a dominatrix-y wanda, Bogroll, and some of the uglier/more sinister looking minions. Possibly the uncroaked Lord Manpower the Temporary. You know, the icons, but also portrayed so that it is very obvious to the lay-person that these guys are evil, both for ironic and accessibility purposes.
I'd buy that.

Scientivore
2007-03-09, 05:53 AM
I decided to repost this in the thread for merchandise ideas because it is one. In the shark-jumping thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36573&page=2), pclips said

See, you stole our thunder. We've been considering a T-shirt that says:

In Erfworld, Peep Eats You!

I think that it would be cool to illustrate it with a couple of marauding gwiffons attacking a village. I see one in the center-left foreground chasing a fleeing villager (screaming and flailing his or her arms) diagonally into the bottom left corner with the gwiffon stretching its neck forward in eagerness as it runs. The other gwiffon is in the middle-right of the background, facing left, swallowing someone whole, head tilted back so that its neck is straight with the villager gobbled down to his or her waist, legs still outside and kicking. Maybe there are a few huts and some stereotyped fantasy village clutter, like a central well and some farming implements. I picture it all on a clear background with no border (so that the entire t-shirt becomes the canvas), with the caption beneath the image.

Darth Paradox
2007-03-09, 02:16 PM
You could market your own brand of crochet sets; then we get our Arkenhammers AND a backyard game.

Either you mean "croquet", or there's something about the Arkenhammer I missed...

spite48
2007-03-09, 06:53 PM
I second the dwagon keychains idea. Although I'd have them breathing instead of eliminating.

Revlid
2007-03-11, 07:33 AM
A Bear-style Cloth Golem crushing some poor Uncroaked with a bone-crunching bearhug.
In Erfworld, Teddy Hugs You!

Wooter
2007-03-11, 10:01 PM
I would totally buy the "What makes you think we're the bad guys" shirt.

mport2004
2007-03-19, 04:08 PM
A shirt with ansom and his quote from the cast page on it

If the plan does not plan for problems outside the plan, then it isn't a plan at all.

Khayankh
2007-03-20, 10:02 PM
I second the idea that boop alone is better than boop me in the boop.
I want a when life gives you crap shirt, too!
another boop variant: a "boop censorship" button

Deuce
2007-03-30, 04:42 PM
To expand on an earlier idea - perhaps a "Help Wanted" Ad type shirt, with all of Stanley the Tool's requirements?

Bounty
2007-03-30, 05:12 PM
I'm mentioned Crap/Crap Golums, because it's required on the thread.

I love the "Boop Censcorship" sticker or Badge Idea (Stickers go Great on computer cases)

Archenhammers that say ErfWorld on the handle are bomb.

A "Know your elves" Poster and shirt, with all the elves in just a simple grid.

Rather than "I'm a Tool" Shirt, I'd go with "I'm with Tool" shirt, then use the Archenhammer as the basis for an arrow pointing to the left. I'll edit later with a photoshoped example.

"Warlord" witha target and "Uncroaked by Wanda" could both be cute stickers/buttons. Then you could do the 4 pack of stickers too (Crap/Golums, Boop Cencorship, and these two)

That's all I can think of for now.

Big_Robot
2007-03-30, 08:18 PM
I love all the t-shirt ideas so far, and just want to add that if a real version of the game Parson was working on was released, I'd buy it.

dakiwiboid
2007-03-31, 01:38 PM
I SO want a teeshirt that says "Good Girls Get Sushi" now!

Cobra_Ikari
2007-03-31, 09:56 PM
Agreed, dakiwiboid

Mr Teufel
2007-03-31, 10:14 PM
I would totally buy the "What makes you think we're the bad guys" shirt.

Yep, and If Life Gives You Crap, make Crap Golems

Cobra_Ikari
2007-04-01, 01:51 PM
Perhaps something out of that "You heard only the screams for mercy"?

agentx42
2007-04-03, 10:20 AM
Rob and Jamie Bobbleheads.

'Nuff said.

confucious
2007-04-03, 03:43 PM

I'll vote for this too. I think it would need original art but the proper execution on this idea would be great. I'm picturing a slightly overhead view Stanley on a dragon in front of a field of minions (with prominent generals slightly staggered behind, of course).

A poster to make it nice and large too. I'm not sure this can be contained on a t-shirt.

GreatWyrm
2007-04-04, 10:52 AM
I'll 34th the crap-golem idea..
and I'm actually buying a hamstard shirt as we speak...
How about a tuxedo-shirt style shirt that looks like you're wearing Parson's breastplate with his "crest" ?

What's the origin of the idiot button?

Kanthalion
2007-04-04, 12:33 PM

I don't know about the original "idiot" button, but it was my inspiration for making the "tool" button.

edit: although I always thought it came out looking more like a coin than a button.

and in the vein of wild suggestions: howabout an efdup chamber pot?

edit: add another vote to the "what makes you think we're evil" shirt. perhaps modeled after that sopranos shirt?

averagejoe
2007-04-04, 01:49 PM

It could have, "Magic item? You wish." on it.

Cryo
2007-04-05, 12:02 AM

IIRC, it was in response to some early Erfworld-basher (right after the 6 first pages were posted...) He went all out ballistic about how anyone who enjoyed Erfworld was an idiot. In response, said "idiots" decided to form the "I'm an Erfworld Idiot!" fan club, with the badge and all :smallsmile:

Bounty
2007-04-11, 05:17 PM
I'll 34th the crap-golem idea..
and I'm actually buying a hamstard shirt as we speak...
How about a tuxedo-shirt style shirt that looks like you're wearing Parson's breastplate with his "crest" ?

So you're proposing we make a shirt, that looks like a breastplate, that was designed to look like a shirt? One that, as previously mentioned, is already availible for sale?

averagejoe
2007-04-11, 06:06 PM
So you're proposing we make a shirt, that looks like a breastplate, that was designed to look like a shirt? One that, as previously mentioned, is already availible for sale?

And then, using that shirt, design breastplate. :smallyuk:

It's so deliciously evil that it might work.

GreatWyrm
2007-04-13, 01:01 PM

Precisely....*cough* .... touche'.

How about the 2nd panel from Klog #4 minus the stat-block? Would be a nice simple shirt..

JohnnyQDoe
2007-04-28, 02:53 PM
A) The game/rulebook would be awesome.
B) Figurines would be cool, but would have to be a pre-order type of system. I'm a fan of Wanda and Vinnie. Maybe I'm a sucker for Brunettes, who knows. I could see Wanda with her chopsticks, winged bat pillow and glowing scroll. Vinnie would have a doom bat or two, his coffin and that pose he never strays from.
C) Would be nice to have some art that doesn't include text bubbles for wallpapers, icons, etc?
D) Actually, if you are going to make a rulebook, how about putting together a poster with pictures of each unit and their stats. Quick Reference and all.

Stardust
2007-04-30, 01:57 AM

I like this one as well.

Allaghan
2007-05-03, 06:13 PM
how about those giant teddy bear things, all you need is some stock, generic single color bears, tear em apart, then mix and match the pieces together
SHAZAM!

averagejoe
2007-05-05, 01:40 PM
I had an idea for a series of shirts. Each one could have a single unit on them, and then list their stats. Something like,

Red Dwagon
Move: 56 (flying)
Hits: 14
Combat: 7
Defense: 5
Special: breath weapon (fire)

(note: I completely made those stats up, for the sake of example.)

This one would have a picture of a red dwagon on it, and the stats could be in the same blue box as we see with Bogroll. Maybe it could even use that 3D glasses effect. Then on the back it could have their allegence (i.e. for the Red Dwagon it would be Lord Stanley the Plaid), or possibly some sort of one liner relevant to the unit. Dwagons are the example I used, but one could do one for every unit in the strip.

Dib
2007-05-06, 04:58 AM
hmm... how bout super fan-servicey Wanda looking very mischevious and evil on a black t-shirt... that would be the greatest thing ever! Also, a Wanda Plush toy... once again being super fan-servicy

Allaghan
2007-05-06, 11:00 AM
ooooh, what about a colletible card game?

or a turn-based hex-grid tabletop strategy game

Liria
2007-05-15, 12:08 AM
Plushie Marbits, dwagons, and gwiffens going "mwaaaah!"

My heart would sing and I'd buy ten.

Seconded on the plushie dwagon (wed or bwue, pwease).
I'd probably pay $10-15 for one (or for a set?)

goldgecko4
2007-05-15, 12:44 AM
I like the idea of:

A "crap golems" button/bumper sticker/coffee mug

"I'm a tool!" t-shirts

And, my favorite idea of them all...

DWAGON PLUSHIES!

JazzManJim
2007-05-18, 05:16 PM
Plush dolls.

I'm serious. You've got this whole quasi-childlike aesthetic going, why not take it to it's logical conclusion?

I'd pay for a dwagon plush doll or two.

A Marbit would be kind of cool.

And of course, a set of the "heavies" would be neat also.

ReccaSquirrel
2007-05-19, 08:46 AM
Coffee Mug with Unit Stats

You can never have enough (black) cofee mugs with cool, geeky designs on them.

MrLizard
2007-05-21, 02:21 AM
Ooh! I'd definitely buy one of those magical glasses Parson got with his Stupid Meal. I want to go around seeing everyone's stats, too. :)

(I'd like a Stupid Meal, too..):smallbiggrin:

tmacdevitt
2007-05-25, 12:42 AM
No love for the mashmallow-scented gwiffon soaps?

Gamers bathe?

:smallbiggrin:

zargonix
2007-05-27, 04:08 PM
Dwagon plushies for me, definitely (like everyone else above me, heh). maybe the tags could include their stats?

Anything with unit stats on it, really.

If you're really feeling daring, try making little figurines like warhammer or inquisitor... that way people could make their own varieties and colorations going... it could happen.

(first real post, wooo!)

Black Cat Godess
2007-05-30, 12:58 PM
Dwagon and cloth golem plushies would be absolutely adorable. I'd totally buy a purple dragon plushie and a few cloth golems if they were for sale. They'd also make really great toys a presents for not only people who like Erfworld but also for little kids and other people who like stuffed animals. ^^ And you could put stats and stuff on a tag, like they do with beanie babies.

DM Gumby
2007-05-31, 08:49 AM
I've finally created a forum account, just because I need to know:

1) Have people already bombarded you with requests for a campaign setting, rulebook, or something to that effect? I'd pay 20 bucks for even a simple PDF version. Paperback, about 30, hardback maybe 40.

2) What's the likelihood that you'll ever publish useable Erfworld gaming material?

pclips
2007-05-31, 09:03 AM
I've finally created a forum account, just because I need to know:

1) Have people already bombarded you with requests for a campaign setting, rulebook, or something to that effect? I'd pay 20 bucks for even a simple PDF version. Paperback, about 30, hardback maybe 40.

2) What's the likelihood that you'll ever publish useable Erfworld gaming material?

1) Yes, we have been getting requests for either a tabletop RPG or miniatures system or a TBS computer game ever since the Klogs started to go up.

2) There's a good likelihood that something along those lines will eventually be made. However, nothing's in development now. It would be some ways down the line. There are several ways we could make it happen, but we don't have the capacity to sit down and do it ourselves.

DM Gumby
2007-06-01, 03:38 AM
I guess I always assumed that this was based on some homebrew world or system you already had been using for awhile. Well, looking forward to that stuff whenever it happens. :)

Allaghan
2007-06-10, 04:43 PM
i also had a gross but hilarious idea, you know those little toy cows that you squeeze and weird jelly poop comes out,?, well you could just take that jelly stuff and shape it like people or monsters or summat, and VOILA!, crap golems

WarforgedGoblin
2007-06-11, 07:30 AM
Great, now I want my crap golem shaped chocolate num-nums.

Dunklezahn
2007-06-11, 11:57 AM
I know it's been said, but a coffee mug with Sizemore on it saying, "When life gives you crap, make crap golems."

And a plush doll of a dwagon. I like the green :) But my 2yr old would like any of them.

benthehater
2007-06-14, 07:39 PM
"Gobwin Knob has a strong personal dislike for your employer, why don't you try thinkamarketing the Alliance instead?"

"Disturb the Eyemancers at your own peril."

And... let's pretend I said something clever about Parson kicking folks down steps. Again.

BRC
2007-06-14, 07:46 PM
I want a "I'm with tool" shirt

Turrosh Mak
2007-06-16, 02:09 AM
I love the ideas I've seen, especially the -Bad Guys- teeshirt and plushie dwagon, but what I haven't seen is a link to a shop to buy any of these goodies. Am I just missing it?

Freederick
2007-06-16, 11:15 AM

It could have, "Magic item? You wish." on it.
A full-sized chamber pot is not likely but how about a coffee mug like that? :smallamused:

SteveMB
2007-06-16, 11:27 AM
I love the ideas I've seen, especially the -Bad Guys- teeshirt and plushie dwagon, but what I haven't seen is a link to a shop to buy any of these goodies. Am I just missing it?

I don't believe the ideas have been implemented yet.

Dudukain
2007-06-17, 08:23 PM
Do you suppose we could convince McDonald's to rename happy meals "Stupid Meals"?

comicadv
2007-06-18, 07:31 PM
Mabye there will be plush-thing-toys because a lot of the stuff looks a little like that.

Zaragon
2007-06-24, 01:16 AM
The "What makes you think we're the Bad Guys" and the Crap Golems t-shirts are great ideas. I'd buy the first one :smallamused:

JazzManJim
2007-06-24, 11:42 AM
1) Yes, we have been getting requests for either a tabletop RPG or miniatures system or a TBS computer game ever since the Klogs started to go up.

2) There's a good likelihood that something along those lines will eventually be made. However, nothing's in development now. It would be some ways down the line. There are several ways we could make it happen, but we don't have the capacity to sit down and do it ourselves.

If at some point you need some writing/editing/proofreading gruntwork done, let me know. I'm willing to help out and I'm not terribly far from you, it appears.

DGM
2007-06-25, 06:53 AM
The only thing I'd consider buying would be a game.

But here's an idea: instead of basing a game on the specific characters and events in the comic, how about basing it on the premise of being transported to a world where everything is familiar to you? As in, you, the player, personally? For example, instead of having a pre-determined list of unit types the game could have a point-buy system that lets you turn your old toy army men into plastic golems, and pennies into copper dragons - er, sorry, dwagons.

Tachikoma
2007-06-25, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't mind a shirt that said, "My GM went to Erfworld, and all I got were his stupid dice."

I'd pay for a poster modeled after the USSR Flag, but instead of the normal hammer and sickle, have the Arkenhamer and Arkenpliers or some such.

Maybe a bumper sticker with a move stat.

How about Peeps repackaged in boxes that are labled gwifins

Only if you sold them in July.

Rumex
2007-06-25, 04:05 PM
I vote for the "When life gives you crap..", "What makes you think we're the 'bad guys'?", and Stanley the Tool t-shirts. "Boop me in the boop" or "Boop censorship" also are good ones. And all of those would also make good posters/mugs/etc.

I'd buy the 'bad guys' as a T-shirt, and probably the others as stickers or mugs.

Plushies, definitely. I'd buy gwiffon and dwagon plushies.

"PLOT" stickers would be fun (something to give my players). I also cast another vote for "Erfworld Tool" stickers/buttons.

And if you're looking for somebody on Ansom's team to immortalize, go with Vinnie. You wouldn't even need text or anything- just a Vinnie portrait on a t-shirt or poster or mug.

EdgarVerona
2007-06-29, 02:14 AM

Hey, Rob... what if we could make it for you? It's an out there idea, but bear with me on it...

Okay, so in programming you have the "proprietary" community and the "open source" community. In the former camp, code is created in secrecy or at least by core groups. In the latter camp, code is created for the whole community at large to view/modify/upgrade. In both situations, the end product may be packaged and sold to the masses at large.

You making the game would be the old "proprietary" model. It'd work, and you have every right to, but it'd take your energy away from making the comic and other things.

The "open source" version of that would be to open a thread/forum branch here, and let the Erfworld fans hack out (via lengthy conversations, voting, and extensive testing by anyone who wanted to join the conversation and become involved) the rules of the tabletop game that would be sold to the masses.

Once the community at large felt like the game was solid enough to be sellable, you could then simply arrange to have it packaged, manufactured and shipped, and take in the profit. I don't think anyone here would mind helping you out on that project... I imagine even the people who would want some kind of credit for helping out would be grateful for a mention in the instruction book, perhaps in a list of acknowledgements. Then you can make the money that's rightfully yours on the game, and wouldn't have to be in charge of its creation... and it'd be a game targeted well to your audience, because the core of that audience were the ones who designed it!

And of course, the forum would continue after initial production, determining and voting on errata and revisions to the rules as "bugs" are found.

What do you think? And, almost as important, would those of you in this forum who appreciate Erfworld be willing to help out to create a damn good tabletop game?

EDIT: Granted, us web users may not be versed on everything about how the world of Erfworld works yet, so that may be a hinderance. Perhaps when the introductory phase of the comic is over and the rules of the world seem more obvious to everyone, such an idea could begin... or it could start now and as new details emerge it could be added in as revisions or even expansion packs! Hmm, I think I'm digressing... but you get the idea. ;)

SteveMB
2007-06-29, 06:02 AM
Just off the top of my head, how about a calendar or a version of those "inspirational posters" (or both combined) using Erfworld characters/images?

SoloWolf
2007-06-29, 06:05 AM
Now that is a brilliant idea:smallwink:
Hmm...which characters though?

Zeka
2007-06-29, 09:17 AM
I would definitely pay money for a 'What makes you think we're the bad guys?" t-shirt.

angra
2007-06-30, 07:18 PM
prints? maybe in limited runs. Say, take some of the "blowing up..." thread pictures, print up a hundred or so in the largest size practical, sign them...I bet that would fetch a few $

Zeku
2007-06-30, 10:41 PM
I should preface this by saying that I never buy anything...

If I wore an erfworld item, it would be a shirt with a dwagon on it.

My two favorite shots are His Toolship sitting atop the red dwagon at the bottom of 32 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0032.html), and the Yellow raising it's eyebrow at me in 54 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0054.html), though I would want to see more in the case of the yellow.

And I would want it to say 'Erfworld' rather than dwagon, though both would be fine.

Azigen
2007-07-02, 01:29 PM
Wouldn't "When life gives you crap, make crap golems" be "When life gives yo boop, make boop golems?"

Eco-Mono
2007-07-02, 09:22 PM
Okay, there have been a lot of calls for Erfworld merchandise in various threads. There is a book planned, so that is covered. What else?

I'm really looking for what you'd actually pay to own, because merchandise is expensive, slow, and a pain to deal with. We'd like to start with a few sensible items to have with us for the Summer convention season (or sooner). So what should we make?This comes entirely to the point of how complex this "merchandise" can be. I would certainly say that once the first chapter of Erfworld (BfGK) is complete, you should sell it as a tabletop game, with rules included. Then, additional chapters (and the rules revealed therein) can be sold as expansions.

Of course, you've probably already thought of that.

Pelf
2007-07-03, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't mind a shirt that said, "My GM went to Erfworld, and all I got were his stupid dice."

Maybe a bumper sticker with a move stat.

LOL, I love these two ideas. Very original.

The plush dolls are also great. If they decided to make a shirt about "What makes you think we're the bad guys?" with Stanley and them on it, they should make one similar but of Ansoms side on it.

I also think a shirt showing Wanda's various fashions/outfits would be good. (Maybe with the line: "It's fashionable to be a Naughtymancer").

Being on the Forums (for some reason) made me think of this, (not these forums specificly, it's just how I feel about most forums in general):

For a T-shirt: "If you think my opinion is crap... go make a crap golem".

I just might add that line to my sig at some point :P.

Pelf
2007-07-03, 02:00 PM
In regards to the chamber pot/"magic item, you wish" idea:

I'd so buy this, (and then set it in the bathroom as a joke)... it's my brand of humor... until I realized that my friends (having their own brand of humor) would actually use it (and may or may not tell me that they did, grrr).

Flensor
2007-07-05, 11:33 AM
Erfworld is great. The real strength of the merchandise this early in the game is that so much of the world is familiar. Plush Vinnies would be in demand at conventions even without his connection to Erfworld. In that same spirit, the hammer t-shirt described by Dratsabre has great graphic appeal. I would suggest a tagline of "The Hammer of the Gods" to make it more family friendly, while appealing to Led Zepplin fans in the bargain.

NTragyk
2007-07-07, 06:51 PM
As far as posters go, you guys should do a laminated hexboard just like the one they have in Stanly's castle. from there you could just leave it or you could track whats going on in the gameworld. id buy that, and use it too

Thes Hunter
2007-07-12, 09:54 AM
I SO want a teeshirt that says "Good Girls Get Sushi" now!

SO Seconded, especially if there is some cool pict of Jillian or Wanda to go with it. :smallsmile:

Snaloo
2007-07-16, 11:59 PM
I would love to see some Plushie Dwagons! They could come in all sorts of colors and you could collect them all! I would defenitley buy those! :smallbiggrin:

Marsh-mellow
2007-07-18, 01:53 PM
I'd like to see some Mancer themed stuff, like posters or t-shirts. Also more dwagons stuff, I'd probably buy anything with a dwagon on it.:smallsmile:

Scientivore
2007-07-26, 09:44 PM
I don't think that I've mentioned this here yet. COMIXTALK (http://comixtalk.com/) has an interesting article, Abandoning Micropayments (http://comixtalk.com/abandoning_micropayments) by Joel Fagin, that discusses some of the tools, techniques and benefits of selling a downloadable collection of larger, higher-quality pages.

Oddly, that article doesn't mention Goblins (http://goblinscomic.com/d/20050626.html). I think that The Book One Package (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=11897) was the first webcomic collection that I ever bought, back in May 2006. Between the low price, easy gratification -- downloading 86.3 MB isn't literally instant but it was close enough -- and a bunch of extras (including a nine-page bonus comic), it was much easier for me to pull the trigger on that purchase than on print collections...even Amazon-discounted ones.

I have an agenda. I'd been assuming that I'd prefer a print collection. I just realized that I might rather have bigger, higher-quality source material for my remixes. Someone else might rather have a bigger, higher-quality copy than the web version to keep for re-reading at a lower price than a print collection. You might rather like the economics of the distribution model. I don't know but I figured that I'd throw the idea out there since it's still not very common. :smallsmile:

Hell Puppi
2007-08-10, 02:17 AM
Plushie dragon/ gwiffon, ftw.

SteveMB
2007-08-30, 08:22 AM
...who would pay good money for a "Charlie's Archons" T-Shirt?

Expand that last shot from page 69 to be full-body, on a nice light blue shirt. It'd be genius.

Or maybe even, put them in the pose, small on the front and give full panels to the three attacks on the back.

Yes, I think it's just begging for a T-Shirt.

Posted here from another thread, and seconded.

Chocowatte
2007-09-10, 04:35 PM
I really really would love one of those dwagon plushies... especially if it was munching on the head of a gwiffin (so just the body stuck out). Maybe have the gwiffin body pullable... on a retracting cord... and as the cord rolled back 2 things would happen:

1. The dwagon would vibrate (you've maybe seen children's pullable toys that do this "wiggle")
2. It would make Dwagon munching sounds (oh the humanity!)

Mmmm... toasty.

On a personal note... my 2 Erfworld shirts arrived today: "Plot!" and "Universal Goblin Solidarity" (Go Gobwins!).
Muhahahahaha! More black shirts for kitty-hair sacrifice!

Erm... *cough* You can find yours at the Erfworld Virtual Con Booth - http://saratrice.com/erfshirts/

Enjoy!

Sincerely, Chocowatte

Morchaint
2007-09-19, 07:35 AM
I have to stick my oar.. or is it two cents?... anyway. I think shirts that say boop would be VERY funny. buttons of boopness. :D

Baru
2007-09-19, 09:10 PM
I would like to see ...

... a copy of Parson's tabletop game.

Justyn
2007-09-21, 04:31 AM
I've got one: a collectable/trading card game.

continuumc
2007-10-31, 07:35 PM
I'm pretty much just going to state my support for some ideas that have already been stated.

I think all of these would be awesome...
-"I'm a tool!" shirt with picture.
-Erfworld game. I was actually thinking while reading the comic "man..this game would be awesome.."
-know your elves shirt.
-various "boop" quotes merchandise.

targetpractice
2007-11-04, 04:40 PM
i would buy a t-shirt for me and all my freinds (if i had the money) if it had the when life gives you crap/make crap golems or in the second comic when lord manpower the temporary gets hit with the arrow and all he says before he dies is "i taste key lime pie" with him with the arrow in his head below the qoute.:biggrin:
i just think that would be cool aahh... nerdgasm

Occasional Sage
2007-11-08, 03:19 AM
Also, I foresee a hilarious t-shirt.... Perhaps the front reading "Erfworld wocks!" with a couple of fuzzy, hooded faces peering over the top; the back would then Read "!skcow" followed by the backs of the fuzzy bodies seen from the front, and finally "E".

Hopefully that will make almost as much sense to you as it does in my head.

Yeah. Erfworld plus Star Wars reference equals I would buy it.

martingale
2007-11-18, 11:09 PM
How about an Erfworld TV series?

I know - it sounds pretty far-fetched.

But check this out:
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-fi-strike5nov05,1,1907799.story

Due to the Hollywood writers strike, television executives are becoming desperate for material. See "TV Shows See Strike As a Second Chance" p. B1 The New York Times.

You've got some good material here - maybe you could get one of the networks to buy in and give you a production budget. I don't want to exaggerate your chances - even with the strike it's still probably a 1 in 100 kind of thing, if even that. But the payoff could be huge.

KitsuK
2007-11-26, 09:34 PM
Ah, merchandise. Assuming I acquire any money reasonably soon (Mayhap that's what I'll tell my buddy to get me for Christmas,) I want a Dwagon. Everyone said it, I know. Okay, off to original ideas...

Hmm, okay, off humour for a second, referring back to page 32, http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0032.html and we're talking about panel six here-I like quotes that are unexpected or thoughtful, too, and... "There is no "Good" or "Evil" here, smart guy. That is a myth. That's propaganda."

Something in that quote's been pulling at my thoughts for the past few days. It showed a depth that wasn't really there in the plushies and such, up until the commentary post-Misty. I like quotes that make me think. A design of that panel with the quote somewhere would be awesome.

Unicorn Latte
2007-12-21, 12:54 PM
(Sorry if this has come up before, but there's so many old posts to read through!)

I deeply need an Erfworld tabletop strategy game. The comic has me dying to play a hex-based, turn-based strategy game, and everything like that is WW2 or other such dreck. Since there's an RPG for OoTS, it makes sense....:smallamused:

Justyn
2008-01-03, 10:22 PM
Adding along with the Erfworld plushies: Dwagon-blimp plushies. They would be rather easy to make...

Justyn
2008-01-22, 02:07 AM
Here are a couple ideas:

Compile the Hamstard strips.

Rather than making one big rulebook that compiles all the rules of Erfworld, at least initialy, release different parts of the rule system online as, for instance, PDF files. (Examples: Combat Mechanics, Magic System, Encyclopedia of Creatures and Races, List of Characters, et cetera.)

Gathers Scrolls
2008-01-23, 09:55 PM
I think stickers would be a good piece of swag. Possibly postcards, also, or just mini-posters.
As far as copyright issues for gwiffons . . . I don't think gwiffon items are that similar to Peeps. Peeps have a blobbish, half-melted hershey's-kiss appearance. Gwiffons are much thinner, and the animal's body's edges are squared-off and not very rounded.
Instead of the soap, maybe there could be gwiffon pencil-toppers or erasers that smell like marshmallow?
And I second [third? tenth?] the motion to have an actual board-game! :smallsmile:

Stallogarro
2008-03-09, 05:49 AM
Seriously, I'm just waiting for the appearance of a "Erfworld Fangame Design". After all, in the [new strip] threads a lot of people are seriously calculating different stats and powers of units and characters. :smallwink:

And completely off the wall merchandise-wise but still: I think Erfworld would be a kick-boob animated TV-series, in a short-epidode format like the ones in Liquid Television...:smallbiggrin:

Syraider
2008-03-09, 11:42 PM
is cool this xD:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Jarelk
2008-03-15, 09:16 AM
I fully support the idea of an Erfworld Hex-based Turn-based tabletop game or computer game.

I also like the idea of Cloth Golem/Dwagon plushies.

surrealize
2008-03-19, 05:21 AM
I'd totally go for a Jetstone radish shirt like the one Webinar wears (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0069.html).

If someone's not familiar with the comic, then it just looks like you're wearing a shirt with a big radish on it, which is random enough to be cool in my book.

Occasional Sage
2008-05-22, 03:44 PM
I mentioned this in another thread, but for the sake of having everything in one place:

When a dead-gump version of Erfworld is made, I can and would happily pay for a special, limited-edition version similar to the books printed by Subterranean Press (http://www.subterraneanpress.com/) if not actually from them. Signed is cool, nicer binding (leather?) would be great, and any "extras" like concept sketches or storyboards or such included at the end of the book would totally rock my socks.

Kilbia
2008-06-05, 03:33 PM
PLUSH GWIFFONS WILL BE TRICKY TO DO WITHOUT GETTING IN TROUBLE.

Sorry; I just wanted to make sure that sentence wasn't lost. This past Easter I was poking around my local Target and I saw plush Peeps for sale. So unless they make sure the Gwiffons aren't too much like Peeps, that one may not be feasible.

Though of course it means anyone who wanted plush Gwiffons can just wait till next Easter and they'll almost assuredly be selling plush Peeps again.

Occasional Sage
2008-06-13, 03:59 PM
*snip* until we have the Erfworld book out. And at this rate, that's early 2009. :smalleek: *snip*

[forced casualness]

So, um, is there maybe a preorder list? I'd be very interested in knowing something about the format, estimated price, signing policy (can we ship them to you and have it returned cod?), etc.

[/forced casualness]

Rob, Jamie, this news (even as inexact as it it) makes my booping day.

EDIT:

When a dead-gump version of Erfworld is made, I can and would happily pay for a special, limited-edition version similar to the books printed by Subterranean Press (http://www.subterraneanpress.com/) if not actually from them. Signed is cool, nicer binding (leather?) would be great, and any "extras" like concept sketches or storyboards or such included at the end of the book would totally rock my socks.

I'm too attached to this idea to let it go. Anybody else interested?

SteveMB
2008-06-13, 04:10 PM
PLUSH GWIFFONS WILL BE TRICKY TO DO WITHOUT GETTING IN TROUBLE.

Sorry; I just wanted to make sure that sentence wasn't lost. This past Easter I was poking around my local Target and I saw plush Peeps for sale. So unless they make sure the Gwiffons aren't too much like Peeps, that one may not be feasible.

Though of course it means anyone who wanted plush Gwiffons can just wait till next Easter and they'll almost assuredly be selling plush Peeps again.

Unless somebody has a trademark on the basic "peep" form (which I rather doubt, considering how many variations of it I see), that's not an issue (as long as you don't duplicate any one particular design which might be narrowly trademarked).

OverWilliam
2008-08-13, 05:47 PM
I would so buy a Cloth Golem plushie. :smallbiggrin:

Justyn
2008-08-13, 11:53 PM
Some of this stuff has been said already.

Hardback, or even leather bound, version of the dead-gump collection.

Compile the Hamstard strips into a book.

I've said this once, and I will say it again: rulebooks for the workings of Erfworld. Things like the world mechanics, a compendium of different creatures of Erfworld (Men, Marbits, Dwagons), a book on the magic system.

Also, I would think that Erfworld would adapt very well to a miniature wargame, ala Warhammer (40k or fantasy).

I saw an idea for an artbook (character designs, places, old sketches, et cetera), I think that this is a good idea.

Things like keychains with the characters on them, plushies, stuff like that.

If there are things that you only sell at conventions, set it up so that we who cannot for various reasons attend the cons, can buy them online; but make it so that the ones that are at the cons are different than the ones sold online.

dr pepper
2008-08-14, 02:13 AM
Hamstard stress toy.

Richbin
2008-08-14, 08:44 AM
A few collectible souvenirs
Bogroll orly basters... and pigeon pie molds.
Wanda's walking staff.
Eyemancer books that do a sound and can text to each other.
At the very least a skin for IM chat that could do the same.

hiigaran
2008-09-06, 11:10 PM
I would buy a shirt that says Erfworld on the front, and then has one of the panels from this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0003.html) comic running across the back. The the art of Erfworld is very powerful and I would love to see art heavy shirts. Furthermore I don't think oots style one liner shirts are quite in keeping with the sophisticated style of the comic. It would also be nice to see any shirts with simply a character name and one of their more iconic pictures on the back.

Anderic
2008-09-09, 12:20 PM
well i agree, that anything w/ the slogan "When life gives you crap, make crap golems." would be a good sell.

something Super easy and cheap would be to market 3-d glasses. you could possibly even sell them with small boxes of an off brand lucky charms.

One thing that really drew me to Erf world, (no pun intended) was that the world was based on a turn based video game, similar to the fire emblem games.
I don't know about the rest of the ppl out there but i wouldn't mind an Erf World Video game:smallbiggrin:... but i know this is an expensive item and not necessarily a realistic possibility.:smallfrown:

um refridgerator magnets are always cool too, maybe one with Webinar saying "This isn't Water" that might be funny.

Anderic
2008-09-09, 12:24 PM
...oh and a Beastiary with character/creature stats
that would be cool.
Maybe cardboard Hex tiles make your own Erf world (game?)

SteveMB
2008-09-09, 12:31 PM
...oh and a Beastiary with character/creature stats
that would be cool.
Maybe cardboard Hex tiles make your own Erf world (game?)

Well, there are already blank hex maps for making your own gaming map, so I'm not sure I see the point.

Anderic
2008-09-09, 12:40 PM
yeah i've missed out on GenCon the last few years, guess i had forgotten how much hex stuff there is out there. thanks for the reminder

Well, there are already blank hex maps for making your own gaming map, so I'm not sure I see the point.

Aeryn
2008-10-02, 11:42 AM
The blank hex maps would be better for gaming anyway. The cardboard hexes...do you mean something similar to how the board game Settlers of Catan is set up? I dunno...seems like it would get knocked around a lot in a gaming situation where you're moving idols around and such.

CrossRoadsDemon
2008-10-15, 04:24 PM
I saw some pretty hilarious demotivator slogans a few forums over, you should try adding some of those onto tshirts and sell 'em from this site. I'd buy a few.

MagMagus
2008-11-21, 11:51 PM
Maybe just a t-shirt with the Tron-esque "PLOT" on it?

afroakuma
2008-12-02, 10:32 PM
Any word on when you guys might be doing a book? Or pricing thereof?

Chaotic Descent
2009-01-24, 08:53 PM
Any word on when you guys might be doing a book? Or pricing thereof?
Ditto. (I joined the forum mostly to say that)

Is the release going to require a certain number of pages? I just realized that perhaps 140 pages would make a rather small book, and perhaps for economical reasons, that would be inefficient. Will you be waiting until the entire "chapter" is over? (I heard someone mention a chapter in another thread) I hope I don't have to wait too long, but waddayagunnodo?

I've been following this webcomic for a while now, and it's one of the few out of my favorites that I'd love to own a physical copy of. (along with my Shortpacked! books. and I'm considering Gunnerkrig Court as a good all-ages book.)
This comic is really a step up from the rest.

pclips
2009-01-24, 09:56 PM
Yes we're writing the story in book-length arcs and we are in the process of placing Book 1 with a publisher. You'll know more shortly after we know more! :smallbiggrin:

SteveMB
2009-01-25, 02:34 AM
Maybe just a t-shirt with the Tron-esque "PLOT" on it?

Or perhaps the "departing" one on the front (like the existing shirt (http://www.saratrice.com/erfshirts/)) and the "arriving" one on the back.

Chaotic Descent
2009-01-26, 12:52 AM
Yes we're writing the story in book-length arcs and we are in the process of placing Book 1 with a publisher. You'll know more shortly after we know more! :smallbiggrin:
Thanks for personally responding!
Ah well. Still sounds mysterious to me what length a book might be, but I'm patient, and you'll have a customer from me even if it's not out for another 2 or 3 years. (since it's been a little over 2 years so far, then hopefully in another 2 years there will be double the number of pages, and hopefully that's enough for a book. I suppose it could wrap up sooner. Maybe in 1 year. No, no. I'm not trying to whittle a hint out of you. ;) )