PDA

View Full Version : How much would this item cost?

enderrocksonall
2007-01-31, 04:39 AM
My DM just told me about a spell in the Spell Compendium called Rhino's Charge. Apparently it is a 1st level paladin spell that doubles the damage on your next charge.

What I would like to know is:
1. What would the cost of a ring of Rhino's Charge be if the effect was usable at will?
2. Ditto question 1 except the ring can be used only a certain number of times per day.
3. Ditto question 1 except the ring can be used only once per day.

Also any information on custom item creation guidlines, or alternate magical item slots would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!!!

Sampi
2007-01-31, 04:47 AM
I don't have spell compendium, part of the answer depends on whether the spell has a costly component. (Doesn't seem likely).

Using the guidelines inthe DMG:
use-activated: 2000 gp
2,3,4 times/ day: 800, 1200, 1600 gp
once/day: 400 gp

Your DM might impose greater prices, though, if she deemed the item more valuable.

magic8BALL
2007-01-31, 05:21 AM
2000 gp to double damage on a charge, and well worth every gold piece.

note that there is an armor in the DMG, the "rhino hide" or somthing, that deals an extra 2d6 damage on any charge the wearer makes, and is only 1000gp more than it's 'non-rhino' counterpart.

I know what im spending 3000gp on next time I make a mid to high level charge and kill character!

enderrocksonall
2007-01-31, 01:30 PM
Where in the DMG does it say those things? I was looking in the magic items section and I couldn't find anything. :(

magic8BALL
2007-02-01, 04:43 AM
Chapter 7: Magic Items
Table 7-33: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values
Top half of page 285.

Fizban
2007-02-03, 12:36 AM
Further more, if you don't have 2,000gp, the cost of a use/day is: uses/5* at will cost. So 1/day is 400.

magic8BALL
2007-02-04, 09:53 PM
wow...

"doubles the damage on your next charge"

sounds like:

"+20 to next attack roll made"

Ring of true strike, grants its wearer +20 to attack rolls. 2000gp. Yuk. If thats not broken, what is?

Mewtarthio
2007-02-05, 04:20 PM
You'll also want a psionic doohickey that'll give you psionic lion's charge so you can take a full attack afterwards.

PaladinBoy
2007-02-05, 07:22 PM
Well.... I've seen this pricing issue before.

Two players in my campaign wanted to create use-activated magic items, one of which basically replicated cone of cold, the other of which replicated shocking grasp. Not very high level spells, but I estimated them FAR higher than the DM's Guide recommended. The reason? It's a spell that you can basically cast at will. You could sit in one place and cast this spell round after round after round....... And so on.

The same is true of this item you propose, for choice 1 at least.
My best estimate would be 12,500 gp or more if you could use it at will.
I have no idea about the charges per day.
For one use per day, the best I can think of is 2,500 gp or so.

Ring of true strike, grants its wearer +20 to attack rolls. 2000gp. Yuk. If thats not broken, what is?

I think someone on the Internet worked it out once. If you use the calculation for a continuous bonus to attack rolls, it works out to something more like 400,000 gp, not 2,000.

Yakk
2007-02-05, 09:25 PM
Don't "at will" items still require a standard action to activate?

So that +20 to hit requires a standard action, and it works on your next attack, up to 1 round.

To use it, you use it the first round, then your next attack pretty much hits.

I'm not sure if that is as insanely overpowered as one might fear. It is still good, but not bat-**** insane.

Same with an item that requires a standard action, then your charge on your next round does double damage.

Now, Rhino's Hide armor quite explicitly states it is +2 and hide armor -- in exchange for crappy limited plus armor, you get the extra 2d6 damage.

Jack_Simth
2007-02-05, 10:19 PM
Don't "at will" items still require a standard action to activate?Varies.

A +5 Shield is a use-activated item. You use it, it works. It's a non-action. It's part of normal defense.

A +5 Sword is a use-activated item. You use it, it works. It's a non-action. It's part of normal offense.

A Cape of the Monteback is a command-word item. You say something while thinking of where you want to be, and it sends you there in a puff of logic smoke.

The caster level 1, use-activated widget of True Strike costs 2,000 gp by guidelines. The caster level 1, command-word widget of True Strike costs 1,800 gp by guidelines. Command-word basically casts the spell when you tell it to. Use-activated casts the spell as it seems appropriet. Thus, the Widget of True Strike gives you a bonus to every attack roll.

And such a widget is more powerful than a +13 sword.
Seriously.

Barbarian-21 with use-activated Widget of True Strike and a greatsword.
Power Attacks for 7. Net +13 to hit, +14 damage. And the barbarian can cut down on the Power Attack for high AC opponents. The +13 Sword is only good for +13 to hit, +13 damage, and can't be traded up for more attack bonus.

The sword uses Epic pricing rules (+13 sword costs 3,380,000 gp market, plus the negligible cost of a masterwork sword). The widget of Use Activated True Strike needs to cost meaningfully more, for the following reasons:
1) It's more powerful.
2) It stacks with the +'s on your sword.
3) You don't want to see an opponent with one until you've got comperable defenses.

Mewtarthio
2007-02-05, 11:23 PM
Magic items that continually cast spells which improve certain qualities by a set amount should not be priced by the spell. They should be priced by the ability increase.

Example: Let's say I want to make a circlet of lies that lets me easily decieve people. A continuous or use-activated headband of glibness costs 3 * 7 * 2000 * 1.5 = 63,000 gp. A headband that grants a +30 bonus to Bluff checks costs 30 ^ 2 * 100 = 90,000 gp. I should have to pay for the latter rather than the former. At most, I could get a slight discount because I can't use my circlet for feinting or diversions, but odds are my primary use (lying) will be covered by Glibness and everything else is just a nifty bonus.

Yakk
2007-02-06, 09:19 AM
By that logic, a use-activated headband of charm person (casts charm person on everyone in range, as many times per round as needed until they are charmed) is what -- 2000 or 4000 gp?

I mean, it is appropriate to charm anyone near you.

For a Ring of True Strike to work on every swing, it needs to be cast upwards of 100 times per round (huge user doing a whirlwind attack with a spiked chain against stacked tiny targets).

Heck -- a use activated cure light wounds! Whenever you are hurt, it heals you, until you aren't hurt anymore!

@_@