PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Help with a sadistic epic spell

Fortinbro
2014-02-25, 01:45 PM
I'm thinking about making an epic level version of Wrack (http://dndtools.eu/spells/book-of-vile-darkness--37/wrack--225/) that can hit multiple targets and has a duration of permanent if they fail the save. Flavor-wise, it is transforming the skin of the subjects into hundreds of small, jagged salt crystals now exposed directly to their raw muscles and nerves.

Drogorn
2014-02-25, 02:07 PM
A Skin to Salt spell doesn't seem like it needs to be epic.

Ought to be instantaneous, though. Their skin is now salt. Having your skin transmuted to salt will almost certainly kill you, either from bleeding out or secondary infection. This is the sort of thing a regenerate spell would be needed to fix.

I suggest making the spell instantaneous, and the victims are helpless and take 1d6 damage per round until they receive a regeneration spell.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-02-25, 02:14 PM
Well, the easiest way to do it would to not make it an epic spell. what i'd do, is call it Wrack, Mass. Simply don't make the effects permanent, because helpless for X rounds plus blindness for X minutes is bad enough. The mass version would be probably be 9th level, following the trend that Mass versions of spells are usually four levels higher than the original.

Note, it also could be eighth, since Wrack is listed as either a 4th or 5th level spell. I think BoVD has it as a 4th while SPC has it as 5th. (I personally call it a 5th spell cause it's pretty powerful).

IF you really want to make it epic, I suggest either 1 of 3 things, (or all 3 if you want).
- The epic version makes a target helpless and blind for a week, before they die.
- Increase the scope of the Mass version, so that it can affect an entire army
- or maybe like what Drogorn said, helpless plus blindness plus damage over time.

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-02-25, 04:34 PM
For epic spells, the Transform seed has permanent effects. Simply use it to transform away a subject's eyes, tongue and skin. (i.e. transform to helpless form).

Then add enough cultlist casters and area effect to cast it over a small kingdom or something. That would be really wicked.

Fortinbro
2014-02-28, 10:42 AM
Good suggestions, and I will be adding mass wrack to the game as well.