PDA

View Full Version : MTG Multiverse Campaign

Buufreak
2014-02-25, 04:04 PM
Okay, so I have posted in 3.5 a couple of times, and have been getting opinions and ideas for this and that, but I finally am looking for overall advise on what I am doing. Generally speaking, my entire party plays the Magic card game, and we decided to run a game based on that setting. I have devised a ways of traveling from plane to plane that doesn't involve making anyone into a godly planeswalker, and have tried to keep each world authentic, as well as not letting them ditch out too quickly by limiting their traveling source's power so that it needs to find more power to continue running or a lengthy recharge (whichever seems more legit at the time, I plan on just rolling with). I have also removed the big 5 from the story (5 characters that are reprinted every freaking year to try and keep them relevant, but also so WotC can keep printing money), in an attempt to alter the general storyline, and so the party can feel more important to the flow and outcome of everything.

All that being said, I need a grand, overlying villain. I am thinking Bolas makes for a wonder continuous/final protagonist, but not entirely sure how to create the bugger. So my questions are as such:

1) What all should I do for Mr. Bolas? I have never designed (much less used) a custom dragon. He has an age of around 50k years, massive wizardry powers, isn't above necromancy, and has a mind destroying touch. Possibly much more, but the internet gives little information without linking me to sales for the cards...

2) How long should the campaign run? The party is currently at level 7-8, and I want this one to span across at LEAST 5 separate planes (they have made it to 2, although they blew up the first). I have some decent focus on Zendikar (wild planet with massive Cthulhu like monsters of endless hunger), Innistrad (overrun by vampires, werewolves, and zombies), and possibly Kamigawa (a plane based heavily on Japanese lore). This question loops back to how badass Bolas should be, because if they only go to 20, no biggie. If they go into epics, that greatly changes things.

Also, if this doesn't belong in the homebrew section (I assumed it would because most everything I am using is from my own creation) I apologize greatly for misposting.

Durazno
2014-02-25, 09:20 PM
I think I'd recommend against having them go up against Bolas directly unless you want to get into epic levels. What about someone like Tezzeret or Sarkhan? They could be a big threat without forcing you to stat up a Great Wyrm with 20 levels of Wizard and the ability to channel Insanity through melee touch attacks at will.

Also, are you gonna visit Mirrodin?

Buufreak
2014-02-26, 09:49 AM
I think I'd recommend against having them go up against Bolas directly unless you want to get into epic levels. What about someone like Tezzeret or Sarkhan? They could be a big threat without forcing you to stat up a Great Wyrm with 20 levels of Wizard and the ability to channel Insanity through melee touch attacks at will.

Also, are you gonna visit Mirrodin?

Already on Mirrodin, actually. Not sure why I didn't think of having Tezzeret and an army of artifice at his disposal. I derp sometimes. But as for Sarkhan, reading his story he seems too... Sad about working with Bolas, and wants out of the deal at every turn. Tez seems more likely a villain in that respect.

And ultimately, I think I would like a Bolas solo fight. Maybe on destroyed Dominaria, maybe the Meditation Realm, or even somewhere in a time rift. But he feels like a real BBEG, all things considered, and being one of my favorite characters I would like to see him in combat.

Fortinbro
2014-02-26, 02:55 PM
If you're involving Tezzeret then how did you decide the result of his fight with Glissa in Quest for Karn that was left unresolved? I'd personally like to imagine that she kicked his ass.

Buufreak
2014-02-26, 05:31 PM
If you're involving Tezzeret then how did you decide the result of his fight with Glissa in Quest for Karn that was left unresolved? I'd personally like to imagine that she kicked his ass.

Uhm... Great question. We will work on it, although I'm not sure either of them really has to die. And even if they did, as by something I am keeping secret from my party, the Time Spiral is capable of explaining everything in the end. That includes revisiting a plane and it being 100 years prior to their first visit.

Honestly, I don't know enough about Glissa, though I have read the Mirrodin summaries (old and new sets). The big thing I am wanting is for the party to figure out there is a cure in the form of the elf girl Melora (sp?). I would guess a deeper viewing of all this would be justified. Either way, without the big 5, the game doesn't need so many huge story based plot points, considering its not the same story anymore. I honestly wonder how the Helvault will be handled without the chainveil.