PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other LA for Animated Objects?

unseenmage
2014-02-26, 09:01 PM
More specifically I need Level Adjustments for several types of things based on Animated Objects.

- Awakened, winged, Obdurium, Animated Object statues,small and medium
Awaken Construct (SC)
Obdurium (SBG)

- winged, Obdurium, Minor Servitors, small and medium
Obdurium (SBG)
Minor Servitor (SS)

- Shapesand Awakened Sands
Shapesand (Sa)
Awakened Sand (Sa) (basically a Huge Animated object)

- and finally Awakened Crawling Claws
Create Crawling Claw (MC:MoF)
(awakened with a custom spell version of Awaken Construct)

I'm looking to use these for Leadership Cohort/Followers with DM permission already given. We just aren't sure on what ECL they should have.

Debihuman
2014-02-26, 09:24 PM
Animate Objects have LA --. They are not suitable as PCs. Giving them Int doesn't mean they are any more suitable.

unseenmage
2014-02-26, 09:38 PM
They're just like Animated Objects excepting that they have mental scores and the statues are made of Obdurium and the Awakened Sands are made of Shapesand.

Awaken Construct (SC) mental stats:

"An awakened construct’s Intelligence,
Wisdom, and Charisma scores are
all 3d6."

Minor Servitor (SS) mental stats:

"The object gains an Intelligence
score (roll 3d6) and a Charisma score
(roll 1d3) from the spell."

Obdurium hardness (SBG):

"Obdurium: This incredibly rare and hard metal
represents the pinnacle of nonmagical wall strength.
Treat weapons and armor crafted from obdurium as
adamantine, except for hardness (30), hit points (60
per inch of thickness, or twice as many hit points as a
typical item), and price (twice the listed price for
adamantine).
HP: 60 per inch of thickness; Break DC: 48 + 4 per
inch of thickness."

Shapesand as a creature Special Quality:

Shapesand (Ex): A DC 5 Wis check, taking five minutes, allows a Shapesand Awakened Sand to change the shape of a 2-1/2-ft. cube of it's body.
Repeated checks would be needed for the creature to change the form of it's entire body.

Edit:

Animate Objects have LA --. They are not suitable as PCs. Giving them Int doesn't mean they are any more suitable.

Thank you for your opinion but I have DM permission for their use in this fashion as stated in my OP and I'm afraid his fiat trumps yours for our purposes.

I would have understood your unwillingness to assist with this idea without your post thank you.

Debihuman
2014-02-26, 10:00 PM
You should ask your DM to assign LA then.

Debby

unseenmage
2014-02-26, 10:15 PM
You should ask your DM to assign LA then.

Debby

My DM and I agreed to work on it together. And as part of my end I came to a place where greater expertise than our could be found.

I'd hoped for some constructive suggestion or advice. Which you seemed willing to give at first, then edited away for an unknown reason (really wishing could remember the name of that LA calculator you mentioned originally).

And yes I do understand that Animated Objects were not graced with a formal Level Adjustment nor was the Awaken Construct spell listed with instructions for the same. Which is why I came to the Homebrew part of these boards asking for assistance.

Would it be somehow more appropriate if I were to ask for a homebrewed version of the Animated Object, perhaps in template form, that included Level Adjustment? (That previous sentence comes across somewhat snide, but I am genuinely curious.)

I apologize for whatever it is that I did to earn your disregard. My bad.

Debihuman
2014-02-26, 10:33 PM
Vorpal Tribble CR Estimator is for estimating the CR of a creature not LA. LA is a lot trickier. If these were straight up monsters, I could help but making them cohorts or followers isn't in my area of expertise and I don't want to throw off your game.

Level Adjustment
This line is included in the entries of creatures suitable for use as player characters or as cohorts (usually creatures with Intelligence scores of at least 3 and possessing opposable thumbs). Add this number to the creature’s total Hit Dice, including class levels, to get the creature’s effective character level (ECL). A character’s ECL affects the experience the character earns, the amount of experience the character must have before gaining a new level, and the character’s starting equipment.

Truthfully, i would have no idea where to start to assign LA to these creatures until they are fully statted out.

When an object becomes a creature it no longer has a "hardness" rating; instead it gains Damage Reduction.

Debby

Fax Celestis
2014-02-26, 11:01 PM
When an object becomes a creature it no longer has a "hardness" rating; instead it gains Damage Reduction.

Not true: Animated Objects (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/animatedObject.htm) retain hardness.

Those stat adjusts are going to be killer. Are you going to use the Living Construct subtype?

unseenmage
2014-02-26, 11:04 PM
Vorpal Tribble CR Estimator is for estimating the CR of a creature not LA. LA is a lot trickier. If these were straight up monsters, I could help but making them cohorts or followers isn't in my area of expertise and I don't want to throw off your game.

Thank you, I only had a glance at it so assumed. Thank you for the correction.

Level Adjustment
This line is included in the entries of creatures suitable for use as player characters or as cohorts (usually creatures with Intelligence scores of at least 3 and possessing opposable thumbs). Add this number to the creature’s total Hit Dice, including class levels, to get the creature’s effective character level (ECL). A character’s ECL affects the experience the character earns, the amount of experience the character must have before gaining a new level, and the character’s starting equipment.

Truthfully, I would have no idea where to start to assign LA to these creatures until they are fully statted out.

The statistics for Animated Objects can be found in the SRD, the only modifications they have are those I listed here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17083158&postcount=3).
(Though technically the Awakened Animated Object and the Minor Servitor can both be Dispelled via the appropriate magics, I'd compare it to a Vampire's weakness to sunlight.)

Animated Objects are the exception to this. From the SRD,

Hardness (Ex)
An animated object has the same hardness it had before it was animated.
Edit: Ninja'd

Those stat adjusts are going to be killer. Are you going to use the Living Construct subtype?

Why would I use the Living Construct subtype?

And yeah, I'm hoping the Obdurium Hardness is mitigated by the low low stats.

Debihuman
2014-02-26, 11:14 PM
True but their hardness typically functions like damage reduction, it applies to all damage unless that damage specifically ignores hardness.

Hardness (Ex); An animated object has the same hardness it had before it was animated.

Debby