PDA

View Full Version : Original System D2 Fantastic!

Fabletop
2014-02-28, 09:45 PM
This is a game system based on roleplaying extremes.

The players build characters based on Personality, Abilities, and Equipment. No ranks or measures outside of descriptions.

Performing an action is a coin flip;

I try to perceive the Ninja ambush
I punch him
I try to deactivate the bomb
ect

Coin flip. 50/50. This lends to wild PC success or failure, described by he players. In any given setting, anything can happen, with a heavy lean on randomization.

It takes a willing crew, but can be great fun for the right group. Well-described actions are a must, plus a Mod/GM with accomplished improv skills.

The key is wild player fun and improv

Mith
2014-02-28, 10:06 PM
So it could be an improv night with a GM/director regulating things so that it doesn't get out of hand with crazy characters. At certain times, the director allows for a character to be "upgraded" (gain a level)... This is a really good idea. Great for a good laugh.

qwertyu63
2014-03-01, 04:43 PM
This is a game system based on roleplaying extremes.

The players build characters based on Personality, Abilities, and Equipment. No ranks or measures outside of descriptions.

Performing an action is a coin flip;

I try to perceive the Ninja ambush
I punch him
I try to deactivate the bomb
ect

Coin flip. 50/50. This lends to wild PC success or failure, described by he players. In any given setting, anything can happen, with a heavy lean on randomization.

It takes a willing crew, but can be great fun for the right group. Well-described actions are a must, plus a Mod/GM with accomplished improv skills.

The key is wild player fun and improv

I've actually done something like this, but with a few more rules.

Each character has something they are good at (their boon), something they are bad it (their flaw) and their general skill set (their class).
Whenever you do something difficult, flip a coin. Heads is a success, tails is a failure.
If your boon applies to what you are doing, you can re-flip one failure per task.
If your flaw applies to what you are doing, you must re-flip one success per task.
Your class acts as a boon or a flaw as appropriate (e.g. being a wizard is a boon for doing smart things like magic spells, but being a wizard is a flaw for doing really non-wizard things like weight-lifting).
If you have a boon and a flaw to the same task, they cancel out.

It was quite fun.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-03-01, 05:05 PM
So your descriptors and such limit what you can and cannot do?

Tanuki Tales
2014-03-01, 08:07 PM
I've actually done something like this, but with a few more rules.

Each character has something they are good at (their boon), something they are bad it (their flaw) and their general skill set (their class).
If your boon applies to what you are doing, you can re-flip one failure per task.
If your flaw applies to what you are doing, you must re-flip one success per task.
Your class acts as a boon or a flaw as appropriate (e.g. being a wizard is a boon for doing smart things like magic spells, but being a wizard is a flaw for doing really non-wizard things like weight-lifting).
If you have a boon and a flaw to the same task, they cancel out.

It was quite fun.

Isn't that how FATE more or less works? :smallconfused:

qwertyu63
2014-03-01, 08:22 PM
Isn't that how FATE more or less works? :smallconfused:

Haven't the foggiest. Never played FATE.

EDIT: returning two years later to say this: having now played Fate, it is somewhat similar to aspects, but the comparison doesn't really fly.