PDA

View Full Version : Snapshot StoryTeller Contest. Calling all writers!

D20ragon
2014-03-04, 08:25 PM
This Idea May Be Stupid!

Just a disclaimer.

Ahem. I had a strange idea, and so I made into a thread. Brave yourselves for....

Snapshot StoryTeller In The PlayGround Contest!

Please inform me if this already exists and then delete the thread so I can die in shame. If the idea is stupid, just let the thread die in shame and me with it.

Each game, the participants choose a theme.
Such as: Sci fi, Surreal, D&D, B Horror, etc.
Then, each contestant writes a brief entry. This entry should be no longer then is boring to read. :smalltongue:
That means, that if I'm looking at a War and Peace style epic, props to you, new Tolstoy, but try to make it shorter. A paragraph or two.
The story is merely a snapshot of a setting, presented as if in a novel. The reader should know what sort of place it is, the situation, and the sights, sounds, smells of your locale.
The story can be from any point of view, and it needs no characters, though you could include them if you like.

Confused yet? Good.
Then each player will receive 5 votes, to be divvied up between the settings that they would most like to read a book set in.
You cannot vote for your own. The winner will receive a Title, and mad respect from all.

Targ Collective
2014-03-10, 06:02 PM
There's a whole thread devoted to giving titles. You'll need a harder sell than that.

That said: Fantasy epic

The White Mage's Tower, Valley of Peace, outskirts of the City of New Eden

The White Mage's brow creased in thought.

"Hmm" he said, "such magic is *theoretically* possible but I am concerned about how it could be... creatively misapplied. Therefore if you are to accept my spell - and indeed my fee - you will have to accept also restrictions in its use bound to the spell itself, such that it will be *impossible* to abuse this spell unmercifully because the spell itself is not going to allow it. Do we have a deal?"

Eternis
2014-03-11, 06:13 AM
The forest erupted in flame as the cackling fiends chased the centaur through the forest, infernal hunting horns blaring calls that filled the minds of listeners with fear. Squirrels scurried among the treetops, knocking each other down in their haste to flee from the terrible cacophony of the hunting party.
The sound, the thrum of drums beating along with the heart of the centaur as the demons closed the distance intensified as, moment by moment, panic subsumed his thoughts.
Time seemed to slow, each detail burned into his eyes as a Pit Lord, one of the thirteen corrupted centaur kings raised his hell-wrought blade beside him and swung at his next.
Then...
He was elsewhere, standing in front of what looked like a seated human in a crisp white suit, white tie, white shirt, white shoes, sipping tea from an ivory teacup, matching gold-edged saucer on an oaken table, the velvet of the chair rustling as the man placed his cup down and looked up.
As the bleak, black, empty world around them echoed with the "click" of the crockery connecting, the man sat forward, grinned, and, taking a peek at his silver pocket watch, snapped to his feet with a surprisingly stiff movement given the comfortable look of the chair.
"I'm afraid you don't have much time, but I have an offer for you. It's very simple, just find something I need, but it's not going to be easy. However, given your... current predicament..."
The centaur saw the flash of the blade heading towards his neck.
"I think my offer might be best taken, don't you?"