PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Berserker of the reckless one [Base Class]

beowulf_gr
2014-03-05, 06:36 AM
Berserkers of the Reckless one are the very definition of furious, reckless fighting. They charge into battle with no regard at all for their (or anyone elses) safety. A berserker of the reckless one charging is a fearsome sight to behold and their enemies often cower in fear unable to even defend themselves. They worship and follow the great Ogre Emperor-God Grond "The Reckless one" and strive to become more and more like Him. They believe that physical might, while not the only source of power, is clearly the most reliable one and therefore they try to increase theirs as much as possible, aspiring to grow in size to become more like their God.
Berserkers of the Reckless one are always evil and they fight mostly for the thrill of the kill and the battle itself rather than as a means to an end. Of course if a battle helps them in some way in their quest for power even better.

Berserker of the Reckless one

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1|+1|+2|0|+2|Fast movement, illiteracy, Grond’s Fury 1/day
2|+2|+3|0|+3|Brutish Size I (Powerful Charge)
3|+3|+3|+1|+3|Reckless attack
4|+4|+4|+1|+4|Grond’s Fury 2/day
5|+5|+4|+1|+4|Uncanny dodge
6|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|Battle cry 1/day
7|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|Brutish Size II (Monkey Grip)
8|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|Grond’s Fury 3/day
9|+9/+4|+6|+3|+6|Battle cry 2/day
10|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|Improved Power Attack
11|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+7|Greater Fury
12|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+8|Grond’s Fury 4/day, Brutish Size III (Powerful Build)
13|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+8|Improved uncanny dodge
14|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+9|Battle cry 3/day
15|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+9|Tireless Fury
16|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+10|Grond’s Fury 5/day
17|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|Brutish Size IV (Greater Powerful Charge)
18|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|Supreme Power Attack, Battle cry 4/day
19|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|Mighty Fury
20|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|Brutish Size V (Behemoth), Grond’s Fury 6/day[/table]

Game Rule Information

Berserkers of the reckless one have the following game statistics:
Abilities: Strength is the single most important score for a berserker of the reckless one because of its role in melee combat. A high Constitution score is useful for allowing the berserker to live longer by giving him extra hit points as well as make his rage last longer. Charisma is useful as it enhances the berserkers Intimidating presence.
Alignment: Any evil
Hit Die: d12
Religion: Grond

Class Skills

The berserker’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int) and Swim (Str)

Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill points At Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Class Features

All of the following are class features of a berserker of the reckless one.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A berserker of the reckless one is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor and medium armor.

Fast Movement (Ex): A berserker’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the berserker’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn.

Illiteracy: Berserkers of the reckless one, like barbarians do not automatically know how to read and write. A berserker may spend 2 skill points to gain the ability to read and write all languages he is able to speak. A berserker who gains a level in any other class automatically gains literacy. Any other character who gains a berserker level does not lose the literacy he or she already had.

Grond’s Fury (Ex): A berserker of the reckless one can tap into the raw strength of Grond “The reckless one” to increase his size and power by entering into a furious frenzy. While in Grond’s fury, his size category increases by one step. (Although his size category increases by one step, the berserker’s height only increases by a foot or so and his mass only increases by about 30–40%, so his equipment still fits normally.) This change increases the berserker’s space and reach as normal for a creature of his new size (10 feet for Large) and applies a –1 penalty on attack rolls and to AC. However, he does not gain additional benefits on weapon size and grapple checks. The berserker also gains a +2 bonus to his Strength when he enters his Grond’s fury. Grond’s fury otherwise functions like the barbarian’s rage ability. However, the berserker gains these benefits in addition to the normal benefits and penalties of his rage (+4 Strength, +4 Constitution, +2 on Will saves, and –2 to AC). The berserker is also still fatigued for the duration of the encounter after his fury ends. If the berserker’s fury bonuses improve from other effects (such as greater fury), the extra Strength bonus from mountain rage stacks. The fury lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Constitution modifier. A berserker may not prematurely end his fury.
Brutish Size: The character, through an extensive workout regimen and the physique-warping force of his rage, slowly grows in size and bulk. These abilities model the character’s continuous growth; they do not stack with each other. At 2nd level the character gains the Powerful charge feat and at 7th level the Monkey grip feat. At 12th level the character gains the powerful build attribute (This supersedes the Monkey Grip feat and removes the -2 penalty for using a larger weapon). At 17th level the character gains the Greater powerful charge feat (This does not stack with powerful build). Finally at 20th level the character reaches the pinnacle of his connection with his patron. His size permanently increases by one size category (e.g. Medium to Large). He permanently gets a +2 size bonus to Strength, a –2 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1), and a –1 penalty on attack rolls and AC due to their increased size. The berserker loses the other Brutish Size benefits (Monkey Grip, Powerful Build, and Greater Powerful Charge) abilities. However since this is a permanent change, it stacks with his Grond’s Fury ability. Worn equipment is assumed to have been “stretched out” or altered over time and becomes size Large as well; carried equipment and weapons do not increase in size. If a character has or gains any of these feats or abilities from other sources, they do not stack until the change in size has been made permanent.

Reckless Attack: Berserkers of the Reckless one fight in a haphazard manner. Beginning from 3rd level, when attacking with a melee weapon they can choose to remove a number up to their BAB from their AC and add it to their damage. This change remains until the beginning of their next turn. When using a two-handed weapon they add one and a half times the amount instead.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 5th level, a berserker retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a berserker already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Battle cry: At 6th level the berserker can channel his fury and strength into a wild display of howling and cursing. When charging or being in a Fury the berserker’s wild battle cries strike fear into his enemies. The berserker can make an intimidate check against an enemy, as a free action. If the check succeeds, the berserker’s foe freezes in place with fear and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC until his next action.

Improved Power Attack: Beginning at 10th level, a berserker of the reckless one gains a +3 bonus on her melee damage rolls for every –2 penalty she takes on her melee attack rolls when using the Power Attack feat (or +3 for every –1 penalty if wielding a two-handed weapon other than a double weapon). This benefit does not stack with the normal effects of Power Attack.

Greater Fury (Ex): At 11th level the berserker’s bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his Fury each increase to +6 and his morale bonus on Will saves to increases to +3. The penalty to AC remains at -2.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 13th level and higher, a berserker can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the berserker by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has berserker levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

Tireless Fury (Ex): At 15th level and higher, a berserker no longer becomes fatigued at the end of his fury.

Supreme Power Attack: An 18th-level berserker of the reckless one gains a +2 bonus on her melee damage rolls for every –1 penalty she takes on her melee attack rolls when using the Power Attack feat (or +4 for every –1 penalty if wielding a two-handed weapon other than a double weapon). This benefit does not stack with the effects of Power Attack or Improved Power Attack.

Mighty Fury (Ex): At 19th level, a berserker’s bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his fury each increase to +8, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +4. The penalty to AC remains at -2.

beowulf_gr
2014-03-06, 03:06 AM
The plan is to introduce this class in the campaign by having the military schools I just founded in my Empire teach people the basics of this class. Kind of like a monastic order for monks only the extreme opposite.
Based on the class construction system I found it is just a bit overpowered. (PHB classes go up to 287 with an average of 250 and this is 275). However those rules are based on judgement so I would like some input concerning balance.

beowulf_gr
2014-03-07, 03:55 AM
Fluff added and I would really like some feedback on this

AkazilliaDeNaro
2014-03-07, 09:37 AM
Why is its alignment Evil? It seems more chaotic to me.
Also when referencing material that isn't core it is best to put where it would be found. (ex. powerful build is from Eberron campaign setting pg. 57)
And that's all I have to say on the matter.

beowulf_gr
2014-03-07, 10:56 AM
It's evil because they like killing stuff just for the fun of it and because they worship an evil deity.
As for referencing you are right I should. Powerful build is from the Goliath race in races of stone however and not Eberron.
I was hoping for some comments on balance with other classes, whether it's overpowered or not etc

AkazilliaDeNaro
2014-03-07, 01:02 PM
It's evil because they like killing stuff just for the fun of it and because they worship an evil deity.
As for referencing you are right I should. Powerful build is from the Goliath race in races of stone however and not Eberron.
I was hoping for some comments on balance with other classes, whether it's overpowered or not etc

/facepalm I typo'ed and meant to say powerful CHARGE. As for balance, i really would know as i am a terrible judge

Archaos
2014-03-10, 05:58 PM
This is more suitable for a Prestige Class for Barbarians.

It really seems like a specialized Barbarian of a different flavor (evil alignment, specific god etc).

Similarly to a Doomguide for example that requires you to be Lawful and follow Kelemvor, doing what a Cleric does and something extra.

I advise turning it into a Prestige Class.
Requiring some points in Intimidate, evil alignment and following that specific god.

CryWolfCorrupt
2014-03-11, 07:54 AM
Mechanics-wise, I agree with Archaos it seems a prestige class for Barbarians. That being said, it might not be fluff-wise accurate to teach people to enter a blood fury killing spree... that's something people are raised to believe, not taught when they enter the army. IMHO

Also, giving them a Power Attack-esque ability and not banning them from Power Attack could make them weak until their next turn, but who cares when you can get double your BAB to damage and kill anything short of a Huge monster? Seems kind of intense.

Stoneback
2014-03-12, 04:47 PM
The name is a turnoff for me, honestly. It makes me want to not even read further.

Kind of like how I never bought the He-Man action figures for Stinkor and Ram-Man. They might have been cool toys, but I just couldn't get past the names.

beowulf_gr
2014-03-13, 11:39 AM
The plan is to make a prestige class version of this at some point. You are right it might be better as a PrC for a barbarian.

I agree with you on the name Stoneback. I was just stuck when I had to name the thing. I am open to suggestions though.

Finally on the issue that was raised about such a character dying easily at low levels. That's perfectly fine and in line with the concept of the class. You go into battle like a madman. 9/10 die very early on. Who cares. I only need the 1/10 that survives anyway. :smalltongue: