PDA

View Full Version : Erfworld 22

Khantalas
2007-02-01, 03:01 PM
Uh, discuss!

Well, now we learn more about:

1) Arkentools. Pliers? How do you use that as a weapon? By bashing them repeatadly?
2) Jillian's fate. Poor Jill.
3) More elven subraces. Which is always cool.

teratorn
2007-02-01, 03:04 PM
No one to command his forces? haha. Go Parson!

Lord Zentei
2007-02-01, 03:06 PM
Uh, discuss!

Well, now we learn more about:

1) Arkentools. Pliers? How do you use that as a weapon? By bashing them repeatadly?
2) Jillian's fate. Poor Jill.
3) More elven subraces. Which is always cool.

Lofty Elves, Altruistic Elves, Superfluous Elves, Eager Elves, Schlemiel Elves, Luckless Elves, Shady Elves and Woodsy Elves.

Quite a menagerie. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and Tardy Elves, but they didn't make it.

Archaicwonder
2007-02-01, 03:07 PM
"What's in it for me" Awesome

Necrosis
2007-02-01, 03:08 PM
lol, Superfluous Elves-

gota love a good running gag:smallbiggrin:

Marller
2007-02-01, 03:09 PM
Commander Zamussels is scouting the prison cells it seems.

4:1 and without Jill (get her out Ansom!) Parson might control the air.
It seems his service under Stanley the Tool won't be endangered. :smallbiggrin:

Khantalas
2007-02-01, 03:09 PM

But s/he is kidding. So I've read.

Well, the only bad thing about Parson going to Erfworld is... NO MORE HAMSTARD UPDATES!

Norsesmithy
2007-02-01, 03:12 PM
Looks like two very big, very unpleasent suprises in store for Ansom.

Daerthax
2007-02-01, 03:13 PM
I was looking for a "dun dun dun" like Elan did during the the OOTS Chimera line.

Still, this will be an interesting fight and it's good to see Parson's on top of things. Only thing I'm curious about is there seems to be a lessened height difference between Stanley and Parson. Change in art, or did someone cast a shrink spell on him?

teratorn
2007-02-01, 03:14 PM

Altruist and funny. Got to love those guys. Now we learn why Stanley wants the tools and why Parson would not gain anything from him having an accident. He is attuned to them.

Only thing I'm curious about is there seems to be a lessened height difference between Stanley and Parson. Change in art, or did someone cast a shrink spell on him?

He is climbing onto something. Note the legs at the same level.

Mr Wizard
2007-02-01, 03:16 PM
*evil grin which is so evil there is no smilie that can adequately express it*

Oh wait...

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/Mr_Arch_Wizard/LOL.gif

Khantalas
2007-02-01, 03:16 PM
Still, this will be an interesting fight and it's good to see Parson's on top of things. Only thing I'm curious about is there seems to be a lessened height difference between Stanley and Parson. Change in art, or did someone cast a shrink spell on him?

Well, Parson being on top of things is... bad news for the things.

About the height thing, I have two explanations: 1) Parson is bending over or on his knees, 2) Stanley the Tool is standing on the Arkenhammer.

Xenon
2007-02-01, 03:19 PM
so the 'tool' is attuned? and this gives him a troop type? nice. well, 2 troop types if we count the pidgeons.

so... a 25:1 advantage gives him an estimaed 4:1 advantage after we take the fortifications into account? sounds like fortification could be a x6 multiplier for defense. That, combined with a suprise of good strategy and control of the air... the tool will soon have some nice new pliars.

Looking at the plot... mr Tool states hes going to work towards a non-military victory condition. everyone else gangs up on him. probably because they know hes not much of a threat militarily, but hes already shown he can attain goals on his alternate route to victory.

Reading this comic makes me want to play an oldschool turn-based game.

TheAnimal
2007-02-01, 03:20 PM

Looks like that in panel #8. Ansom is swinging them like a mace.
Hmm. It seems Ansom is not enough of a Tool to figure out the true power of the Arkenpliers.:smallamused:

Dunx
2007-02-01, 03:22 PM
What's the betting Parson is also the one Fated to unlock the secrets of the Arkenpliers? Will he use them in service to Stanley or merely to disentangle himself from his Tool's control?

onasuma
2007-02-01, 03:24 PM
He uses pliars just like i do whilst modeling

talonos
2007-02-01, 03:28 PM
And so begins the long wait to next Tuesday...

You guys should really switch to Tuesday-Saturday. That way, at most, we only need to wait four days, not five. It'll spread them out more.

One Skunk Todd
2007-02-01, 03:30 PM
Any idea what the Goat-headed thingy is in the first panel? Looks sort of like a scroll.

Machiara
2007-02-01, 03:32 PM
I'm still rooting for Ansom and the good guys, even though I know they're probably going to lose. Had the same problem with the Illiad (was rooting for the Trojans, and look what happened to them! Poor Hector. <sniffs>).

innovan
2007-02-01, 03:34 PM
Nice shorthand single box for Parson getting up to speed on the situation. But Parson shouldn't be trusting Stanley's judgement of the situation of ANYTHING. He needs to review the resources and ground to be used himself.

Only then will he find "The overlooked details".

Do wish his tabletop model was a bit more cool looking though. And larger than a tabletop.

Stanley the Tool has 200 living in their forces.
Against 25x 200 = 5,000 troops.

Is Parson going to add healers to his side? Particuarly with large damage absorbing items like dwagons, that would be useful.

And Jillian is still reserved for a future plot point.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-02-01, 03:36 PM
Oh snap.

I suspect Lord Ansom is in for a very nasty surprise. =D

Piedmon_Sama
2007-02-01, 03:39 PM
I'm still rooting for Ansom and the good guys, even though I know they're probably going to lose. Had the same problem with the Illiad (was rooting for the Trojans, and look what happened to them! Poor Hector. <sniffs>).

I still strongly suspect that "Good" and "Evil" are more an academic choice of color scheme and faction theme (lol rhyme) in Erfworld. Ansom was willing to ally with the Shady Elves, after all. (Unless they're going to go for a whole-race-of-rebels joke).

Also the thought of Parson as Achilles is amusing on several levels. =p

Name_Here
2007-02-01, 03:41 PM
Love the lofty elves. You can only see their freaking legs.
Though you gotta wonder how huge Erfworld is to create such a large number of different elvin species.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 03:42 PM
Any idea what the Goat-headed thingy is in the first panel? Looks sort of like a scroll.

Looked like a literal battering ram to me.

I love this comic, and GAH! the pains of a weekend cliffhanger!

ObadiahtheSlim
2007-02-01, 03:44 PM
So do we have the arkenscrewdriver? I bet it doubles as a wicked spear.

teratorn
2007-02-01, 03:44 PM
Looked like a literal battering ram to me.

Yes, but it's being healed. So it's alive?

Demented
2007-02-01, 03:47 PM
It ain't hard to see where this is going....

The fat golem obviously rolls over all the elves and then gets into a sumo match with a similarly-sized cloth golem.

TheAnimal
2007-02-01, 03:51 PM
It looks that way. The horns look like they actually grow out of its head, and judging by its expression, it's currently unconscious.

Ceska
2007-02-01, 03:53 PM
4:1 and without Jill (get her out Ansom!) Parson might control the air.
Actually he said 4 times more than what is needed to take the fortress. As we know they will need quite a lot, it's still more than 4:1 for the enemy. Then again, I agree with the air part.

teratorn
I wish Parson would get some nifty armor. That stained shirt will have to go sooner or later.

themunck
Nice shorthand single box for Parson getting up to speed on the situation. But Parson shouldn't be trusting Stanley's judgement of the situation of ANYTHING. He needs to review the resources and ground to be used himself.

Only then will he find "The overlooked details".

My guess, is that Stanly is there to explain stuff for Parson. "How well are Uncroaked Units?" "How far can a dwagon fly?" "What the boop is a 'twool'?"

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 03:54 PM

Hence the literal part. It looks like a ram that is used for battering down doors or walls or whatever. After you smashed down a wall with your head, you might need some healing too.

Khantalas
2007-02-01, 03:55 PM
So do we have the arkenscrewdriver? I bet it doubles as a wicked spear.

Ratchet & Clank memories. Though it was a Wrench rather than a Screwdriver.

Omniwrench 8000!

Druid
2007-02-01, 03:58 PM
Is Parson going to be in that dirty hamster shirt for the entire comic?

Ceska
2007-02-01, 03:59 PM
Is Parson going to be in that dirty hamster shirt for the entire comic?
He probably wore it for his entire life. A month or two more won't matter.

charles
2007-02-01, 04:03 PM
Parson will use the Control of the sky to his advantage, he can launch air attacks while they batter his walls. Wanda will raise the dead as they come and who knows what other advantages he'll find from Sizemore's Dirtomancer army. But I'm sure that despite all this there will be some very cunning maneuvers and probably the need to plug up or hold off the armies in the caverns.

charles
2007-02-01, 04:05 PM
AHA!

One of the Arkenhammer's downside points in the Character list is it's "Personal taste in friends"!

This may be a good indication about why a tool will or will not atune with someone.

Or its an indication that someone else in the battle somewhere will gain the pliers and be much more atuned. Heck Probably just Stanly in the end, since he's on a mission to collect them.

Mr_Teatime
2007-02-01, 04:10 PM
My guess, is that Stanly is there to explain stuff for Parson. "How well are Uncroaked Units?" "How far can a dwagon fly?" "What the boop is a 'twool'?"

I doubt that Parson would need these things explained to him. He did make Erfworld, afterall.

Darth Paradox
2007-02-01, 04:11 PM
A couple things that occurred to me:

* Looks like the Superfluous Elves are the Emo to the Shady Elves' Goth. The hair gives it away.
* Parson's Hamstard shirt is important. The other Erfworlders will take the Hamstard to be his symbol, just as the strawberry is Ansom's symbol. He may yet be known as Lord Hamster in this world.
* "Fate magic" doesn't fit into any of our known -mancer types. It is likely cast by another type of mage we have yet to hear about.
* I agree with other posts that Ansom has no clue how to use the Arkenpliers. I bet Parson can figure it out, though, once they capture them.
* Ansom looks to be engaging in single combat in that panel, given the positions of the rest of the troops. It might just be to give use a clear view of the scene, but the way the other troops on both sides seem to be cheering, I'm guessing that's a typical way to fight for him.

Harliquinn
2007-02-01, 04:23 PM
My guess is that the number of elven subraces is a direct 'spoof' of the way in which there seems to be an Elven Subrace for all your needs in the standard D&D world. You want a race with a particular set of ability adjustments? There's bound to be an elf subrace for your needs.

Uzraid
2007-02-01, 04:24 PM
Ansom looks to be engaging in single combat in that panel, given the positions of the rest of the troops.

Am I the only one who thinks it looks more like Ansom's evil twin?

Sebastian
2007-02-01, 04:27 PM
I was looking for a "dun dun dun" like Elan did during the the OOTS Chimera line.

probably the Tool is on a stool. :)

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 04:30 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it looks more like Ansom's evil twin?

It only looks that way because his mouth is open, giving him the appearance of having a goatee, which is commonly associated with the evil twin.

BlueHelmet
2007-02-01, 04:30 PM
I really like that ... lemme call it emo elf. :)

sbwilson
2007-02-01, 04:33 PM
I doubt that Parson would need these things explained to him. He did make Erfworld, afterall.

I seriously doubt that Parson made Erfworld. If he did, he would have automatically clued in when the Arkentools were mentioned. He would know who the major characters were, the geography, etc. He has given no indication that he has any knowledge of any of this.

fehler
2007-02-01, 04:33 PM
Is "fate" a magic? Wanda and Sizemore discussed it on their way back from the Magic Kingdom. Are there "fateomancers"?

And Stanley understands the Arkentools because he's willing to experiment with them. Maybe Ansom should try cracking a nut with the Arkenpliers once.

Aliquid
2007-02-01, 04:35 PM
I doubt that Parson would need these things explained to him. He did make Erfworld, afterall.Did he? Some people have jumped to that conclusion, but I don't think so.

I really doubt that Parson would create a world with Twolls, Gwiffons, Findomancers etc... it doesn't fit his personality at all.

There are some similarities to his world, but he didn't create the creatures in it... that's for sure.

Neofite
2007-02-01, 04:40 PM
another Great one!!!

Love the Vinny Boombats Reference LOL :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, i think Prince Ansom is gonna be really shocked when his grand army meets with a good battle plan from Parson.

Uzraid
2007-02-01, 04:49 PM
It only looks that way because his mouth is open, giving him the appearance of having a goatee, which is commonly associated with the evil twin.

Yeah, but it really comes out looking like a goatee. Or at least a handlebar moustache.

Did he? Some people have jumped to that conclusion, but I don't think so.

I really doubt that Parson would create a world with Twolls, Gwiffons, Findomancers etc... it doesn't fit his personality at all.

There are some similarities to his world, but he didn't create the creatures in it... that's for sure.

Here's a question: In the RL game, would the players have been both sides and Parson only the referee, or would Parson have run the bad guys, like he is now?

In either case, my guess is that we're in a situation where names have been changed, but Parson will recongnize the strategic situation at once and, having already considered all possible tactics from both sides of the field, win decisively with what will seem to Stanley and Wanda little effort at all.

U

Gentlemaniac
2007-02-01, 05:00 PM
I really like the way this is going. The running "gratuitous elf subraces" joke is funny, but so far, it has fallen short of what it appears to be a parody of - I'm pretty sure that if I start skimming through various TSR and WotC supplements, the number of elf subraces will greatly outnumber that in Erworld. Let's see... we have vanilla/high elf, drow/dark elf, aquatic elf, gray/moon elf, sun elf, wild elf, wood elf, winged elf/avariel, half-elf and that's just the ones I could remember off the top of my head; I know there's at least one and probably several more. What are the Dark Sun subraces, for instance? Isn't there at least one psionic elf race?

I love the Arkenpliers, by the way; especially the way they look like they were rendered in 3D and pasted into the comic. I mean, seriously, it looks really cool. Now I can't wait till we get to the Arkensaw. Har har har.

Silverlocke980
2007-02-01, 05:01 PM
You know what would be awesome?...

If the Altruistic Elves actually weren't- well- altruistic. That would tickle my fancy right there.

(Though I suspect that, with that little quote, they might...)

Also, anybody else surprised to see a Vampire just hanging out with the "good guys"? Kind of strange on that end of things. "Vinny" also strikes me as a little, well... normal.

Be cool for the most level-headed guy on Ansom's team to be the vampire. Go Vinny.

Coldkilla
2007-02-01, 05:06 PM

Looks like a cross between a dachshund and a minotaur to me. Behold, the Wienotaur!

PaladinFreak
2007-02-01, 05:25 PM
I don't think there is a "Good" or "Evil" side in this conflict. Stanley is a bit nuts, but I don't think he is actually Evil, nor do I believe Ansom is entirely Good.

I like Ansom more then Stanley, but I have seen no evidence that Stanley is Evil... Yet...

innovan
2007-02-01, 05:44 PM
Is the "THWUFF" Ansom beheading one of his own uncroaked troops just to demonstrate that he can, with other uncroaked troops in the foreground cheering this destruction of their own?

Also a small note: When will Stanley the Tool mention to Parson that the Arkenhammer is good at "Heaving Lightning" as per its description?

A long range area attack like magical lightning should be really useful when there's an army slowly coming up a road at you, you'd think.

Azukar
2007-02-01, 05:46 PM
[quote=Gentlemaniac;1937547]I really like the way this is going. The running "gratuitous elf subraces" joke is funny, but so far, it has fallen short of what it appears to be a parody of quote]

You don't think nine named Elven subraces is enough, 22 pages into the story, for a parody?

Gamebird
2007-02-01, 05:46 PM
Looks like a cross between a dachshund and a minotaur to me. Behold, the Wienotaur!

Ha! That's what I thought too!

But battering ram makes more sense.

Those are needlenose pliers. Good for getting at things in cracks or tight places. I wonder if that's significant?

Maurog
2007-02-01, 05:54 PM
Is the "THWUFF" Ansom beheading one of his own uncroaked troops just to demonstrate that he can, with other uncroaked troops in the foreground cheering this destruction of their own?
No, note the drawing style. Everything with the slightly blurry and a bit brownish style is "not really here". So it's either a flashback of Ansom's past battles, or just an imaginary image as he describes it. Also, in flashback and similar deviations, the characters' speech appears in quotation marks to further emphasize that they are not really in there.

Indon
2007-02-01, 06:13 PM
I wish Parson would get some nifty armor. That stained shirt will have to go sooner or later.

Not neccessarily. Do clothes get changed in Erfworld? And even if they did, he could always take up Hippiemancy.

Though, that leads me to wonder what Parson's stats as a combat unit are. Stanley couldn't see his 'hits', after all.

Also, Khantalas... is that Omega Grace in your avatar?

Darth Paradox
2007-02-01, 06:22 PM
I really like the way this is going. The running "gratuitous elf subraces" joke is funny, but so far, it has fallen short of what it appears to be a parody of - I'm pretty sure that if I start skimming through various TSR and WotC supplements, the number of elf subraces will greatly outnumber that in Erworld. Let's see... we have vanilla/high elf, drow/dark elf, aquatic elf, gray/moon elf, sun elf, wild elf, wood elf, winged elf/avariel, half-elf and that's just the ones I could remember off the top of my head; I know there's at least one and probably several more. What are the Dark Sun subraces, for instance? Isn't there at least one psionic elf race?

At this point, I'm fully expecting the creators to just come up with new elven races every time they need one for a joke. I wouldn't be surprised to see over twenty by the end of BoGK.

Sebastian Bux
2007-02-01, 06:47 PM
I can't tell you the last time I found a war so boring.

And this thing where everthing has names that lead to obvious wordplay jokes is really getting old. The elf names in the last two comics really serve only to further pull this reader away from caring about either side in this conflict. The last two pages have just been soooooo sloooooow.

And I don't care how much it's been played up that Parson would accept his current situation I just don't find it interesting. There are no elements of watching Parson learn about the world he has been thrust into and to understand that world along with him. He's just going along with it and that's that. It bugs me, I don't like it. And how did he get out of that door in the summoning chamber?

Erfworld is too serious to pull of a lot of these humorous elements, too campy to pull off the serious elements. It's kind of swimming in this etherial sea looking for it's identity. Hope it finds it soon.

Uzraid
2007-02-01, 07:00 PM
I'm wondering in what proportion of the Erf Episode threads Mr. Bux has complained about the quality of Erfworld? Two-thirds is my guess.

I happen to like Erfworld for the selfsame qualities SB dislikes: it's got an expectations-defying combination of crude and cunning humor slapped together with a winkingly serious plot. Bux thinks it's crap because he thinks (seems to think) it can't decide what category to fit into; I like it because I think it's sui generis.

And yes, I always use sui generis in conversation. I'm that lame.

Cheers!

U

Hart av Srednak
2007-02-01, 07:02 PM
SUUUPEEEEEEEER

I know that there is no intentional competition between Erf and OotS but this one got to erf-side. I'm actually waiting more for next Erworld comic than OotS comic though OotS is really hanging from cliff.

You guys give this story so slow that it really becomes more and more exciting.

It was also beautifull page. Like a good piece of music.

Kanthalion
2007-02-01, 08:11 PM
SUUUPEEEEEEEER

I know that there is no intentional competition between Erf and OotS but this one got to erf-side. I'm actually waiting more for next Erworld comic than OotS comic though OotS is really hanging from cliff.

You guys give this story so slow that it really becomes more and more exciting.

It was also beautifull page. Like a good piece of music.

Just so. Don't get me wrong, I still love OOTS, but I am more anxious to see what Parson is going to do with Stanly's armies, how Jillian will get out of her predicament, and what fanservice Wanda will serve up next.

Maxymiuk
2007-02-01, 08:12 PM
Heh heh... Vinny.

That's definitely a battering ram. Like, you know, ram. A male sheep? *gives up*

Also on the siege:

I'm looking forward to Parson setting traps all across the length of that path leading up to the city. What better way to at once reduce the odds and slow down the enemy's approach? Either Anson is going to take heavy losses, or he'll have to slow down and send engineers (Crafty Elves?) ahead to disarm the traps. And meanwhile Parson's dwaggons can harry the army, reducing its numbers even further.

Jorkens
2007-02-01, 08:16 PM
I can't tell you the last time I found a war so boring.

And this thing where everthing has names that lead to obvious wordplay jokes is really getting old. The elf names in the last two comics really serve only to further pull this reader away from caring about either side in this conflict. The last two pages have just been soooooo sloooooow.
I kind of know what you mean - it felt like a bit of a neccessary evil so we can follow the story when things start happening. On the other hand, I liked the art and the silly references, so it was a bit of a spoonful of sugar / medicine going down scenario.

And I don't care how much it's been played up that Parson would accept his current situation I just don't find it interesting. There are no elements of watching Parson learn about the world he has been thrust into and to understand that world along with him. He's just going along with it and that's that. It bugs me, I don't like it.
Again, I kind of know what you mean, but it doesn't really bother me. I've seen the 'ooh is this real, should I just ignore it' soul searching so many times that having someone just get on with it is almost refreshing. And I'm guessing that we're going to have at least a bit of him learning about the world, if the last panel of 208 is any indication.

Erfworld is too serious to pull of a lot of these humorous elements, too campy to pull off the serious elements. It's kind of swimming in this etherial sea looking for it's identity. Hope it finds it soon.
I kind of see the jokes (and the art) as sauce to go with the meat of the story. But then I kind of like things that are serious and silly at the same time. Taste, innit.

Mr Teufel
2007-02-01, 08:42 PM
Sebastian Bux, say hello to my Ignore List. You may feel compelled to wallow in criticism of something you don't like, but I am not compelled to read it.

ImperiousLeader
2007-02-01, 09:05 PM
So, I'm confused on one main point, which side am I supposed to root for? Who's the pro to and other's an? 'Cause all I'm seeing is somewhat amusing tagonists.

Illiander
2007-02-01, 09:11 PM
ok, the arkenpliers are nearer to jeweler's pliers than 'proper' nut&bolt working pliers (no coarse, circular bit at the base of the head for larger nuts), bit they're not long and pointy enough to be jeweler's needlenose pliers (the head has too steep an angle for that, and they obviously have the trapizodal cross section of heavy duty pliers, jeweler's pliers either have oval, circular, rectangular, or semi-circular cross sections (I know this is a lot of detail, but the authors set up a website for one of the characters here, so I'd expect them to think about the shape of the pliers))

so has anyone seen pliers this shape anywhere before? kids toy workshop set mabey?

Kanthalion
2007-02-01, 09:34 PM
ok, the arkenpliers are nearer to jeweler's pliers than 'proper' nut&bolt working pliers (no coarse, circular bit at the base of the head for larger nuts), bit they're not long and pointy enough to be jeweler's needlenose pliers (the head has too steep an angle for that, and they obviously have the trapizodal cross section of heavy duty pliers, jeweler's pliers either have oval, circular, rectangular, or semi-circular cross sections (I know this is a lot of detail, but the authors set up a website for one of the characters here, so I'd expect them to think about the shape of the pliers))

so has anyone seen pliers this shape anywhere before? kids toy workshop set mabey?

Since the Arkenhammer is a RL toy, i'm assuming the rest of the Arkentools will be toys too.

TakerFoxx
2007-02-01, 09:36 PM
You know, even though Lord Stanley is clearly the villian, I'm definitely rooting for his side.

Aliquid
2007-02-01, 09:56 PM
so has anyone seen pliers this shape anywhere before? kids toy workshop set mabey?Looks like standard longnose pliers to me. Do a google image search for "Long Nose pliers", I can even find one with the Stanley Tool brand.

Actually, "Needle Nose Pliers" works too.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6b/Needle_nose_pliers.jpg

fruityjanitor
2007-02-01, 10:46 PM
Heehee. I like the Superfluous elf :)

And Vinny Doombats seems pretty interesting - especially considering that he is on the side that up to this point has seemed to be the more "cutesy" side.

Is he a reference to something? I tried a google search but didn't find anything that seemed relevant.

EntilZha
2007-02-01, 10:58 PM
Oh, Prince Ansom...sounds like Famous Last Words to me. :smalltongue:

Azukar
2007-02-01, 11:01 PM
First thing that came to mind for me was FF7's character Vincent, who is pretty vampire-like in a lot of ways. Not least in that you find him sleeping in a coffin... But that's probably not it.

Not a Paladin
2007-02-01, 11:45 PM
Man, is Ansom in for a surprise.

Let's see:

-the Luckless Elves, being luckless, won't be too much of a threat
-the Superfluous Elves probably won't come up
-Commander Zamussels is imprisoned
-Ansom looks to be sending Vinny's bats into combat, when they should be used for short-range recon (due to their low Move and poor combat skills, as Jillian said earlier)
-to top it all off, Stanley the Tool actually has a competent commander this time.

Yes, I think that it will be up to Ansom to croak multiple foes single-handedly with those Arkenpliers of his. And that probably won't be enough.

Erk
2007-02-01, 11:51 PM
The last two comments have been great for building suspense. This one was not as funny on its own, but these two pages read a lot better when put as a pair - funnier as well. This is a technique that we saw back in pages 4-5 too, and some people hated it then. I love it, I love the delayed punchline in 4-5 and the extended puncline in 21-22. Kudos, Rob. That is some nice stuff.

Illiander, the arkenpliers are an absolutely standard pair of cheap needlenose pliers. I have some exactly like them, so similar that when the Arkenpliers' powers are revealed, I fully intend to see if my pliers can duplicate them.

Unless the arkenpliers' ability is simply to pull out teeth or something. ouch.

I love the last frame. I love Stanley's puzzled expression, for one thing. It looks to me more like Parson is explaining things to him, not the other way round. I like that Parson is in his element, and suddenly looks less disgusting to me.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Stanley may not realise he even has Jillian? She could be at a border outpost, or maybe they are not aware how important she is. Or, perhaps interrogating captured enemies is not an idea that has been thought up in Erfworld. Not part of the game mechanics, you might say. I wonder if we will find out more about that next strip.

The last two comics have dragged a little in terms of action, but I like the building anticipation, the calm before the battle. And now the long dry spell (weeps).

PS: I, too, have started anticipating Erf more than OotS. Since OotS was my favourite webcomic before, does that mean Erfworld is now? Hmm. That's out of a realllly big list of comics, too...

The_Old_Fox
2007-02-02, 02:03 AM
Ansom and his forces are about to get smashed by the forces of "The Tool", thought I have to ask, what is with the Vampire Vampiwe? a rather eclectic allied force.

Mr Teufel
2007-02-02, 02:24 AM
Is Vinny Doombats a reference to some other game, comic, or such?

Krytha
2007-02-02, 03:36 AM
Elfworld is heating up. Parson almost looks... dare I say it... handsome in that last frame. Sure he's still bulky, but maybe after he dons a suit of armour and does a few laps he might get Wanda to fall for him. That would be great...

Fronko
2007-02-02, 06:09 AM
Parson almost looks... dare I say it... handsome in that last frame.

Handsome? No.

Capable, devoted and competent? Hell, yeah!

I am sure, Wanda will rather fall for competence than looks.

Furin
2007-02-02, 07:26 AM
Donīt forget one very important tactical point folks, Parsons appearence must have doubled Seizemores output... :smallbiggrin:

Sebastian Bux
2007-02-02, 07:46 AM
First thing that came to mind for me was FF7's character Vincent, who is pretty vampire-like in a lot of ways. Not least in that you find him sleeping in a coffin... But that's probably not it.

Actually, I think you have it pretty spot on. That's the first reference that came to my mind, too.

Manga Shoggoth
2007-02-02, 08:24 AM

What? I thought that was a couple of creepers!

Wallyz
2007-02-02, 09:01 AM
Donīt forget one very important tactical point folks, Parsons appearence must have doubled Seizemores output... :smallbiggrin:

Bwahahaha!

Khantalas
2007-02-02, 09:07 AM
And it added an extra "e" to his name, appearantly.

Well, Bogroll would be his greatest resource, appearantly. Many, many crap golems.

Furin_Mirado
2007-02-02, 09:14 AM
Though you gotta wonder how huge Erfworld is to create such a large number of different elvin species.
O_O whoa, I didn't even notice they were there, haha! Man I love this comic!

One Skunk Todd
2007-02-02, 09:17 AM
Does anyone else get the feeling that Stanley may not realise he even has Jillian? She could be at a border outpost, or maybe they are not aware how important she is. Or, perhaps interrogating captured enemies is not an idea that has been thought up in Erfworld. Not part of the game mechanics, you might say. I wonder if we will find out more about that next strip.

Well when Jillian was leaving to go on patrol I'm pretty sure Ansom said something about not wanting her to be captured again. So presumably Stanley's forces have had her before.

If they didn't know who she was, they should now since she croaked the blue dwagon. And since the dwagons captured her I would think they would take her straight to Stanley.

I'm not sure Stanley's forces even have any outposts at this point. It seems like he's pretty bottled up in Gobwin knob.

Furin_Mirado
2007-02-02, 09:37 AM
Perhaps the rules of the 'game' state that warlords must be captured and there's some sort of protocol to be followed for her release. Whether or not this is true, Jillian will make a good bargaining chip.

Erk
2007-02-02, 09:39 AM
They know she is a combat capable unit. I wonder why they haven't interrogated her yet, though... I am sure we will find out soon.

I just realised: I have both the arkenhammer and the arkenpliers. I AM THE ARKENMASTER. The pliers are in my tool drawer and the hammer is in my desk at work. Now if only I could attune them to me so I could tame some dwagons and do whatever the hell it is the arkenpliers do.

I wonder if Jamie and Rob are spying on me... if my underwear are featured in the next strip (behold! The Arkenpants!) I am totally out of here.

Ave
2007-02-02, 10:21 AM
Ok, someone said it is clear that Stanley's is the 'evil' side, and Ansom's is the 'goodie' side. And that this might cause some morale problem with Parson.
What about Vinnie, the vampire then?

Lord Zentei
2007-02-02, 10:52 AM
Ok, someone said it is clear that Stanley's is the 'evil' side, and Ansom's is the 'goodie' side. And that this might cause some morale problem with Parson.
What about Vinnie, the vampire then?

Perhaps he is a vegetarian. :smallwink:

More likely, the alliance includes all and sundry since Stanley (evil) is a greater evil than Vinnie (presumably evil), the Shady Elves (evil?) and so on. Ansom's strengths are supposed to include coalition building; it might be that only the coalition was powerful enough to defeat Stanley with his initial resources. And the alliance was stated as being "hard to hold together", after all, so it presumably includes a bunch of people with normally radically different outlooks.

Uzraid
2007-02-02, 12:01 PM
I'm surprised that people don't agree that Stanley's the "bad guys." For the following reasons:

1) It was shorthand anyway, and I hadn't given it a lot of thought, but it made sense.
2) Ansom's got peeps and cute stuffed animals on his side. Reversing convention and making them the bad guys would be too, well, conventional.
3) Stanley and Wanda are (to me, currently, survival between all that is noble and decent and all that is vile and unholy, not to mention unspeakable."

So it's good enough for me, for shorthand. And yes, I do quote Blake's epigram about Milton in conversation. I warned you that I was lame.

Cheers.

U

StreetUrchin
2007-02-02, 12:59 PM
Looks like standard longnose pliers to me. Do a google image search for "Long Nose pliers", I can even find one with the Stanley Tool brand.

Actually, "Needle Nose Pliers" works too.

Closer to a 'round nose fence pliers' with the shorter jaw length, the standard needle nose pliers has jaws that are longer than half the length of the handle...usually
http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/pliers-ft-p108.jpg

Yeah, I can't believe I dug this up either...

eilandesq
2007-02-02, 01:47 PM
Stanley the Tool seems to be riveted by whatever Parson is saying and doing as he examines the battle map--which suggests that Stanley might not be too inclined to meddle: bad news for Ansom, et al.

Hilary Moon Murphy
2007-02-02, 02:39 PM
Yes, this segment of the story is mainly expository. But I suspect that it is setting up for something much, much bigger.

My only quibble is that Jillian has been already captured once (before the current storyline). So why is Ansom depending on her to be there now, without having had a report from her? She had the hat, afterall. If she did not report in yet, Ansom should be making plans that do not depend on her involvement in the battle.

To do otherwise would be very foolish indeed, and I'd rather have Parson up against someone with some brains.

As for the speculation on the Arkenpliers and why they look like they do, may I suggest that we continue this discussion in the Arkentools thread?

Hmm

Machiara
2007-02-02, 07:42 PM
Remember, Ansom already sent a rescue party led by Sir Webinar after Jillian. It sounds to me, from Ansom and Jillian's conversation, that Jillian had been captured far more than once. Ansom has, in all likelihood, sent successful rescue missions after her before. No reason for him to think that Webinar won't be successful this time, especially considering Lord Stanley's preoccupation elsewhere.

Zavion
2007-02-03, 05:21 AM
Vinny seems to be a joke between Vampire: The Requiem/ My Cousin Vinny
(His speech type, calling Amsom "Yer Honor", wearing a leather jacket to an important meeting).
That's how he came off to me at least.

Amsom is a questionable leader at best. He seems like the 'Charismatic Prettyboy', a sort of non-suicidal Zapp Branaggen. That's the voice he has in my head as well. His plans are too involved on the enemy's actions, and not his own. Even early on, his conversation with Jillian and having her take the doombats seems like he really has no idea what he's doing..

Can somebody clarify? WHY do people think that Parson created Erfworld? I went and made a talk page for the wiki as it stated he did too.

Maxymiuk
2007-02-03, 07:34 AM
Can somebody clarify? WHY do people think that Parson created Erfworld? I went and made a talk page for the wiki as it stated he did too.

It may be because of the similarities between the city on the hill in panel 3 of this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0003.html) and the model on Parson's battlemap we see over here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0016.html)

Erk
2007-02-03, 08:34 AM
I still don't see why that means Parson made the world. There are countless other similarities between Parson's world, Parson's apartment, and Erfworld. But I am sure the issue will be resolved in time.

Good old wikipedia. I edited the "Parson created erfworld" to show it was speculation ages ago but people kept putting it back in.

These weekend dry spells are brutal. I wants me some more Erfworld, way to build up tension right before a long break, dudes.

Maxymiuk
2007-02-03, 08:49 AM
I'm not throughly convinced of that either. Just pointing out the similarities. And the Wikipedia does make a good study of where decision making by majority vote breaks down. :smalltongue:

enh
2007-02-03, 01:42 PM
Lofty Elves, Altruistic Elves, Superfluous Elves, Eager Elves, Schlemiel Elves, Luckless Elves, Shady Elves and Woodsy Elves.

Quite a menagerie. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and Tardy Elves, but they didn't make it.

I've been enjoying the elf species jokes since #8. The Lofty/Shady/Tardy Elves set off my Tolkien spoof detector. (When the elves first awoke in the Silmarillion, some made it across the sea, and some got a little distracted and lost, and stayed behind.)

Krytha
2007-02-03, 05:09 PM
Vinnie Doombats have anything to do with Warhammer?

Wardog
2007-02-04, 06:07 AM
RE Good/Evil sides, and why the (supposedly) Good side has Shady Elves and Vampires...

Remember, Erfworld is based on (computer/tabletop) wargame conventions.

There may not be a genuine evil side (just because Parson's game had one, doesn't mean Erfworld does too).

As for the composition of the Alliance:

If this is a "campaign"-driven game, then it would be for reasons of Plot.

And if it's not a campaign, then eight or so players have got together for a game, and seven of them have decided to gang up on Lord Stanley the Tool.

(Civilization n springs to mind. Mongols and Americans ally to repel Spanish aggression, for example.)

Azukar
2007-02-04, 07:58 AM
Actually, I think you have it pretty spot on. That's the first reference that came to my mind, too.

Yaaay, someone agrees with me!

mixmastermind
2007-02-04, 01:37 PM
Looking at page 21, I suddenly realized that the Eager Elves are Link from The Legend of Zelda. You can tell from the hood and the sword.

Erk
2007-02-05, 04:27 AM
Um...

good spotting, Mix. Well played.

Lord Zentei
2007-02-05, 07:35 AM
On the similarities between Parson's game and Erfworld: there is the possibility that we are dealing with a multiverse with an infinite number of universes; since Wanda's spell was meant to search "all existance" for the "perfect" warlord, this might be that this meant "perfect for Erfworld", i.e. one that had experience in leading battles of the kind fought there, even if he himself was from a radically different environment.

The chances against a randomly chosen individual in a randomly selected plane just happened to have made and excelled in a game that matched Stanley's needs perfectly are of course astronomical, but the spell was also meant to search for such a specific individual. Given an infinite number of universes, that such a person could be found could very well be plausible.

Erk
2007-02-05, 07:52 AM
That's more or less how I figure it... I think Wanda, not being a findamancer, did not find the 100% ideal warlord: the 100% ideal one might be someone who had actually played the Erfworld game and won it seven or eight different times, or someone from a world much more like Erfworld. But she found a good one, out of all those infinite possibilities, and a weird one... one for whom many things are familiar, but nothing quite fits because Wanda was not right for the spell.

Zavion
2007-02-06, 12:02 AM
Well, she stated that she wasn't aware of all these physical criteria.

Parson was picked because he was a big guy, somebody that could shock the other's troops just by standing on the walls (He's basically, a giant. He's twice the size of Wanda and about 3 times the size of Stan). He's a guy that commanded all different kinds of battles (he said before that he likes systems so that makes me think that he might have played games where battles took part over multiple star systems. All of those alien planets might count as different kinds of battles.)
He's obsessed with war. He fights them for fun. He snacks on gwiffons (Peeps) and eats Marbits (marshmallow bits) for breakfast.
He wanted to be summoned.
Ge is mostly the same physiology of Stan and Wanda (he speaks 'Language' (English?), he breathes air and stuff). The world seems familiar to him, in so much that he's not suddenly a fish out of water. He knows more or less what an undead soldier is (even if he doesn't know all the point values of each), so he's not super suprised by everything ("Oh crap, what's a spider?") even if he doesn't know exactally how powerful they are.

None of this really means that he is a perfect warlord. Wanda was looking for a mind, Stan a body. She got what seemed to be as close as possible to both their requirements. Stan (perhaps accidently) fulfilled all of their criteria.

Had she been a findamancer and had Stan not been giving her all these details to find out, she might had found a better warlord.

Some of Stan's criteria were good. Like, the moral case part, (wanting to be summoned), and the basics (needing to speak, breath air, and stuff). Because Wanda alone might had found a giant jellyfish brain. It could had been the smartest brain in the universe and died on contact with air.

The spell and Wanda did what it could with conflicting disires. It got the best compromise it could. It got Parson.

Nothing in that really means that Parson created Erfworld (he doesn't seem to think he has, he doesn't have a revelation "Oh, Stanely the Plaid!"). The game he spent 5 months creating doesn't even neccisarily have anything to do with Erfworld.

Amsom isn't neccisarily good and Stanley not even evil. He could very well be like Bush (which he seems to imitate some). Where he thinks he is doing good, even if he's doing it for all the wrong reasons, and he's doing all the wrong things.

Stanley's people (like, the Twolls) might not neccisarily be all evil either (that's my biggest problem with D&D's universe is all the 'monster' races are 'evil' just because they are.. I hate 'always' decriptors in an alignment.)