PDA

View Full Version : Who the Boop is Vinnie Doombats?

Mr Teufel
2007-02-02, 03:41 AM
Ok. Could somebody tell me whom Vinnie Doombats is based on? Not expecting authors, but if it's pop culture, perhaps a culture vulture on the boards can let one fly in my direction?

Thanks in advance...

TheAnimal
2007-02-02, 05:49 AM
Don Vincent 'Vinnie' Mancini-Corleone from the Godfather part III (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099674/).
The Vinnie Doombats character looks just like Andy Garcia.

MinusInnocence
2007-02-02, 07:18 AM
Admittedly, I never thought of that connection.

Bad Example
2007-02-02, 10:51 AM
It refers (I assume) to Rodney Dangerfield's stand-up routine. He would sometimes talk about his visits to his terrible doctor, Dr. Vinnie Boombatz (emphasis on the "batz"). A sample...

"I went to my doctor the other day. You know my doctor don't yah? Dr. Vinnie Boombatz? I said I don't know what's wrong with me. I got up this morning looked in the mirror and wanted to throw up. My doc, he says, I don't know what's wrong with you, but your eyesight's perfect! So I says I want a second opinion! He says, OK, you're ugly, too!"

David Letterman will also occationally refer to Dr. Vinnie Boombatz, always mentioning he was introduced to him by Rodney.

Trisk
2007-02-02, 11:29 AM
Never seen Godfathers but I just sorta guessed. I mean, 'ey it's Vinnie.

EDIT

...Wow just thought of the 'bat' connection too!

Scubasteve0209
2007-02-02, 01:38 PM
I made the same correlation as Bad Example on the "Puns revealed" post. The only thing I have to add is that when Letterman references Boombatz he grossly over-exaggerates the "batz" part, so it comes out like "you remember my physician? dr. Vinnie boom-BATZ!!!!"

Swashbuckler
2007-02-02, 01:45 PM
Another correlation is the fact that in the Warlords series of RTS games, one could have a Vampire as a base hero class. Typically, when a hero-vampire was accepted into your ranks, he'd bring along a couple of units. Unmodified bats were the unit of choice. They had the best movement rate in the game (again, unmodified).

Bilgore
2007-02-03, 09:20 AM
Yes, but a vampire associated with marbits is clearly an un-trademarked equivalent of Count Chocula.

Mr Teufel
2007-02-03, 09:40 AM
Thank yoos all.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-02-03, 07:56 PM
Yes, but a vampire associated with marbits is clearly an un-trademarked equivalent of Count Chocula.

Wow. Just, wow. This post has given me a new depth of appreciation for just how awesome and deep the humor of Erfworld is, and why the creators keep talking about fan-made material.

No, seriously!

Azukar
2007-02-04, 08:10 AM
I'll just throw in the "Vincent-Valentine-of-Final-Fantasy-Seven-Fame" reference as food for thought for all youse guys... Reference the Erfworld 22 thread for more details.

dragongirl13
2007-04-15, 12:45 PM
Vinnie Doombats is Erfworld's Count Dracula.

Strengfellow
2007-04-16, 06:49 AM
Archduke Chocula ala Futurama

and he sounds just like Joe Pesci

Tividar's Thorn
2007-04-16, 12:49 PM
I was actually thinking along the Godfather lines, he just seem so Italian.