PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Druid Variant

boxfox
2014-03-15, 02:39 PM
Heya, folks.

I made a new core class and need MUCHO feedback. I already posted it on WotC webside...but they're dead and I like you guys better anyway, so I'm bringing it here, too. It's a LONG post though, so, if you'll forgive me, I'm just going to provide a link.

I tried copy/paste, but it ruins the formatting, and (like I said), it's a LONG post.

Feel free to leave your feedback here or there...though here is better because GitP is better...:smallcool:
Thanks for your consideration.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/4062951

nonsi
2014-03-15, 07:14 PM
Tutorial for table formatting on GitP. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205677)

GGambrel
2014-03-15, 09:36 PM
Though my experience DMing has primarily been with characters below level 15, I played in a game in which a friend played a shapechanger (a Shifter I believe). His character was pretty ridiculous.

It seems to me that the Shapeless Disposition ability, which allows the Shapeless to take forms with between 1 and 5 hit dice more than she has, is unnecessarily good. Though the Shapeless does not get Spell-like abilities and Supernatural abilities, starting at LV 18 she could always have the form of a Solar, benefiting from a large number of extraordinary qualities, excellent physical stats, a 150' fly speed, and +21 natural armor. With Disposition and full base attack, I expect there are forms at most levels which would allow the Shifter to outperform pretty much any other build in melee combat (barring a cocktail of magical buffs), especially considering they could use magical equipment if they had a humanoid, monstrous humanoid, giant, or outsider form.

So I'd probably remove the Shapeless Disposition ability, and maybe reduce the base attack progression to 3/4. I'd also consider giving sensory qualities at earlier levels (like low-light vision and scent).

As an aside, I've been thinking lately it might be fun to "battle test" a potential new class. Basically the DM controls the proposed class (particularly if designed by a player) and the player needs to defeat it with a core class that has similar abilities to the new class. A handful of battles at different levels and in different types of terrain would probably be best to control for chance. If the player won the majority of the encounters, the class could be "unlocked" similarly to in certain video games.

Anyway, good luck balancing the Shapeless! :smallsmile:

boxfox
2014-03-15, 10:16 PM
Nice, thanks for the link!

starting at LV 18 she could always have the form of a Solar, benefiting from a large number of extraordinary qualities, excellent physical stats, a 150' fly speed, and +21 natural armor. With Disposition and full base attack, I expect there are forms at most levels which would allow the Shifter to outperform pretty much any other build in melee combat (barring a cocktail of magical buffs), especially considering they could use magical equipment if they had a humanoid, monstrous humanoid, giant, or outsider form.
Yes and no. He could certainly be a solar, but he'd have to go buy a good magic weapon to do much with it. Any melee character that hits level 18 without a flight speed and really high armor has had a very strange existence. Any full caster can do everything that this entire class can do with 1 spell, and actually get more. Also, powerful build charging barbarians at lvl 18 are doing hundreds of damage per turn...this class can't compete with that. Equipment melds even if it could normally be worn. 3.5 errata rules. As a human, I could shift into an elf and I'd be naked. It looks scarier than it really is. Yes, you can take big monsters, but you also don't get a lot (most even) of the things that actually make them scary.

That battle testing idea sounds amazingly fun. :P
Level 20 Druid vs. level 20 shapeless, druid wins every single time....same with caster cleric, and wizard. Sorcerer could if he built for it.

Shapeless is about a high tier 3 or low tier 2 class. Full casters stomp it, but it stomps most fighters, rogues, bards, etc.

TrueJordan
2014-03-16, 01:23 AM
I don't know if that's necessarily true. If you adopt their qualities and turn into certain powerful constructs, especially with good magical items, I'd say it can trump spellcasters much of the time. But because it doesn't really shine till much later, I'd say mid tier two.

boxfox
2014-03-16, 08:12 PM
If you can't slaughter a lvl 20 shapeless with a lvl 20 druid/wizard/cleric/sorcerer, then you're not doing it right. :) It's no contest.