PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Would this be acceptable LA for this race?

RPGaddict28
2014-03-17, 05:04 PM
Kinda new to homebrewing,and I have no clue how to format things here, so bear with me. First off, this isn't my concept, my friend just asked me to post it here.

It's LA2. Has +2 to all stats. Has Orb of Force-at will, Slow/1day-DC 15, Haste/1day-DC 15, and Heal/1day-18 DC, CL=1/2 HD. Finally, 60 ft Ex flight, at good maneuverability.

Adam1949
2014-03-17, 07:44 PM
Kinda new to homebrewing,and I have no clue how to format things here, so bear with me. First off, this isn't my concept, my friend just asked me to post it here.

It's LA2. Has +2 to all stats. Has Orb of Force-at will, Slow/1day-DC 15, Haste/1day-DC 15, and Heal/1day-18 DC, CL=1/2 HD. Finally, 60 ft Ex flight, at good maneuverability.

Well, simply by virtue of gaining a +2 bonus to all stats, that by itself would be worth at least LA2. Giving it 60-foot Good Flight raises that to at least LA3, and the spell-like abilities raise it even more. I wouldn't rank this any lower that a high-powered LA+3.

NeoSeraphi
2014-03-17, 07:55 PM
First of all, SLAs don't just "have" DCs. Since you're new to homebrewing, let me explain this clearly. When a creature has an SLA (even a racial one) the DC is equal to 10 + the level of the spell the SLA is copying + the individual creature's Charisma modifier.

For example, if your character has +2 Cha but started with an 8, it's Charisma score would be 10, it'd have a modifier of 0, and the DC for its slow SLA would be 13 (slow is a 3rd level spell on the sorcerer/wizard spell list).

This is probably an LA 5 race. The ability to cast a level 4 spell that deals up to 10d6 irresistible damage, full damage to incorporeal creatures and no saving throw, at will, is LA 2 by itself. Other SLAs and flight are LA +1, +2 to all scores is LA+2.

Draken
2014-03-17, 11:06 PM
That is a dozy. Other than Heal and the at-will Orb of Force it is objectively inferior to Half-Celestial. The lowered caster level (Half HD, please) doesn't help sway my opinion either.

I would put it at +4 tops, and honestly wouldn't ever use it.

Just to Browse
2014-03-17, 11:30 PM
I'm with Draken here. This comes with some low-level gems that make the game pretty hard to not curbstomp (orb of force is better than basically all mundane weapons, haste even 1/day is game-winner until level 5), but it scales to your character level atrociously. The end result is that it could be averaged out to something like LA +3, but most players of this race will feel bad in low-end games for having no HP/HD and feel bad at high-end games for not getting cool racial abilities that they spent 3 levels on.

Draken
2014-03-18, 12:07 AM
I'm with Draken here. This comes with some low-level gems that make the game pretty hard to not curbstomp (orb of force is better than basically all mundane weapons, haste even 1/day is game-winner until level 5), but it scales to your character level atrociously. The end result is that it could be averaged out to something like LA +3, but most players of this race will feel bad in low-end games for having no HP/HD and feel bad at high-end games for not getting cool racial abilities that they spent 3 levels on.

At 1d6 per caster level with a caster level of 1/2 HD, Orb of force isn't all that great a spell.

Oh sure, it is a great blasting spell, but blasting isn't great, so they cancel each other out so you are just left with... A spell.

I mean, honestly. I wouldn't write home about 2d6 damage at level four, no matter how many times I could do it a day nor how it allowed me to fight incorporeal creatures instead o just losing to them outright.

Just to Browse
2014-03-18, 12:38 AM
Oh crap, for some reason I thought it was CL = HD for everything but heal.

I see I see.