PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade Question

Fax Celestis
2007-02-03, 04:56 PM
Arcane Channeling doesn't specify "melee touch" or "ranged touch", it just says "touch spell". Doesn't that mean I could Arcane Channel a ray?

Dhavaer
2007-02-03, 04:57 PM
I think 'touch spells' are those with a range of touch, so it would just be melee touch attacks.

TheThan
2007-02-03, 05:00 PM
Yeah, range of touch, otherwise you could channel ray spells like disintegrate into your sword without having to take any nifty prcs.

Misplaced_Jedi
2007-02-03, 06:02 PM
Ranged Touch spells versus Range: Touch spells. My duskblade and I were very upset when we realized this.

TheThan
2007-02-03, 06:08 PM
Yeah, kinda unfortunate isn't it.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-03, 08:33 PM
Too bad. That'd be fairly awesome, otherwise.

Zincorium
2007-02-04, 01:49 AM
Really, why is that so much of a disappointment? Touch attacks almost always hit more often than regular attacks, and can, duh, be used at range instead of strictly melee. There are only two conceivable disadvantages: lack of weapon damage added into attack, no use of the ability that let's you spread the spell to multiple targets with multiple attacks. You only get the second one later.

Dhavaer
2007-02-04, 02:05 AM
Really, why is that so much of a disappointment? Touch attacks almost always hit more often than regular attacks, and can, duh, be used at range instead of strictly melee. There are only two conceivable disadvantages: lack of weapon damage added into attack, no use of the ability that let's you spread the spell to multiple targets with multiple attacks. You only get the second one later.

It's a disappointment because he can't Arcane Channel Disintegrate. I'm not sure what the rest of your paragraph has to do with it.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-04, 02:06 AM
I'd like to Arcane Channel Ray of Enfeeblement, actually.

Dhavaer
2007-02-04, 02:10 AM
But Disintegrate is more awesome, and sounds a lot better.

AtomicKitKat
2007-02-04, 02:12 AM
Well, if you could find some way to change the range, like via Archmage or something...

Dhavaer
2007-02-04, 02:17 AM
I don't think Archmage can make rays into touch range spells. Duskblades can't qualify, anyway.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-04, 02:19 AM
Enlightened Fist's 7th ability is Hold Ray, so that works.

You've stil lgot to get Disintegrate on the Duskblade's list, though. Ray of Enfeeblement's already there.

TheOOB
2007-02-04, 02:50 AM
A touch spell is any spell with a range of touch. An energy missile (such as melf's acid arrow), or a ray (such as scorching ray), requires a ranged touch attack roll, but they are not touch attacks.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-02-04, 03:09 AM
Why not get an alternate spell? Disintegrate with a range of Touch instead of Ranged Touch is completely reasonable, as it actually weakens the spell.

Dhavaer
2007-02-04, 03:21 AM
You've stil lgot to get Disintegrate on the Duskblade's list, though. Ray of Enfeeblement's already there.

Disintegrate is a Duskblade spell, though. Level 5.

Why not get an alternate spell? Disintegrate with a range of Touch instead of Ranged Touch is completely reasonable, as it actually weakens the spell.

Not for a Duskblade. Having it as a melee touch spell would let them full attack with it.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-02-04, 04:47 AM
Heaven forbid one class be able to make more use of a spell than another class.

According to the spell guidelines, it is balanced, regardless of what a Duskblade can do with it.

AtomicKitKat
2007-02-04, 08:26 AM
Ahh, Enlightened Fist. Yummy.

Edit: What's even better is that since it's at 7th level, and the Duskblade gets Combat Casting, as well as having the Channeled Full Attack available at 13... Gogo synergy!

JoeFredBob
2007-02-04, 12:48 PM
Heaven forbid one class be able to make more use of a spell than another class.

According to the spell guidelines, it is balanced, regardless of what a Duskblade can do with it.

"I'm going to create a spell specifically for use in a situation where it's wildly unbalanced, and then call it balanced because it would be in other situations!"

I don't know about your DM, but, from me, no. Just no.

TheThan
2007-02-04, 03:25 PM
“Sir, the sarcasm meter’s off the scale!”
“ Oh no, its gonna blow!”