PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Feat I came up with, any thoughts?

Spacehamster
2014-03-20, 10:01 AM
I'm making a character that is based on speed and raw power and noticed that leap attack is a bit weak so here is a follow up feat for it. "Devastating leap attack" requirements: power att, cleave, leap attack. Benefit: when charging and doing a 10 feet jump where you land in a square you threaten, add the extra damage from leap attack as usual + your weapons threat range is increased by two and critical multiplier by one. This is only true for the first attack not any follow up attacks granted by any magic item or spell. Any thoughts on this? Think it will add some spice to the danger of a leap attack that put you in the middle of danger, making it a bit more worth the risk.

Amnoriath
2014-03-20, 10:19 AM
Leap Attack is the basis to why people say the most important factor in dealing damage is your BAB. Really there isn't any risk in jumping, just in charging but any self respecting Ubercharger will have Shock Trooper so they are doing that anyway. Ultimately it is a 10% chance increase in damage to roughly 50% of the opponents on one of your attacks on a charge. It simply isn't worth 3 feats.

Amechra
2014-03-20, 10:29 AM
...Leap Attack is a very strong feat if you build for it. It's a vital component of some of the highest non-infinite damage builds in the game. Plus, anyone who uses Leap Attack is probably going to want to be in the thick of things.

That over with, your feat is basically:

Devastating Leap Attack [?Fighter?]
Prerequisites: Power Attack, Cleave, Leap Attack
Benefit: Whenever you use Leap Attack, the first attack you make as part of that charge has its threat range increased by 2 and its critical multiplier increased by 1.

Am I right (sorry, the formatting of your post makes it hard to read.)?

Anyway... first of all, in my opinion charging does not need more love. Putting that aside, drop Cleave and Power Attack as prerequisites; Cleave has nothing to do with what this feat does, and you can't have Leap Attack without Power Attack.

On top of that, this feat is kinda... boring. I mean, the benefit really doesn't do anything cool, except add more damage if you are lucky (which is not something they need). Maybe keep Cleave as a prerequisite, and let the first attack you make on a charge always trigger Cleave? Or give the opponent a save against being knocked prone?