PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Reworking the Healer: Fixed-list casting, Expanded spell list, etc.

RedWarlock
2014-03-21, 02:47 PM
I'm currently running a 2-years-strong Eberron game, with the general assumption that the game is mostly by-the-book rather than modified all to hell, as is my usual modus operandi. Minor tweaks are in place to ease play and reduce general cheese, and suggestions are in place (like, "Use warblade instead of fighter; fighter is not disallowed, but you'll have a better time with a WB.")

With that said, I started with a general tweak to the Healer of making it a fixed-list caster (like the dread necromancer, warmage, & beguiler), with the general suggestion of "ask me and we can add any appropriate healing spells to the list". I got it in my head to try and make up an actual list from sources.

To start, here are the changes to the basic class:

Healer: Casts from its entire list as a full-list spontaneous caster (just like the Beguiler, Warmage, or Dread Necromancer). Gains Advanced Learning as a Beguiler (at 3rd, 7th, 11th, 15th, and 19th level), with access to any (healing) subdomain spell, or any other spell that revives or restores hit points for non-construct living creatures.

Now, depending on what the direct focus of the class becomes (straight healing, or maybe a bit of buffing, minor summoning, etc.) the extra spells either add some versatility to the list, or they just enhance the specifics of the list. I'm inclined to add to the buffing capability of a healer, although I'm cautious about them becoming a self-buffing tank rather than a team-buffer as is the intent. (another issue is, should we exhaust all the excess healing spells in other sources, and thus would render the Advanced Learning ability useless? Maybe it would be better to expand this to an Eclectic Learning feature, but then, to what options?)

I'd appreciate some comments on these choices. I've already got a couple marked with question marks where I'm not sure if it fits.

Spell Compendium
0-

1-
Blessed Aim
Conviction
Delay Disease
Healthful Rest
Ironguts
Resurgence
Vigor, Lesser
Vision of Glory

2-
Close Wounds
Divine Protection
Healing Lorecall
Protection from Negative Energy
Quick March
Stabilize
Summon Elysian Thrush

3-
Aid, Mass
Cloak of Bravery
Conviction, Mass
Resist Energy, Mass
Resurgence, Mass
Safety
Spark of Life
Vigor
Vigor, Mass Lesser

4-
Astral Hospice
Delay Death
Make Manifest -?
Positive Energy Aura
Resistance, Greater
Sheltered Vitality
Shield of Faith, Mass

5-
Life's Grace
Revivify
Sanctuary, Mass
Vigor, Greater
Zone of Respite

6-
Revive Outsider
Resistance, Superior
Vigorous Circle

7-
Fortunate Fate
Renewal Pact
Restoration, Mass

8-
Death Ward, Mass
Cocoon

9-

Complete Champion
2-
Benediction
Body Ward
Master Cavalier -?
Soul Ward

4-
Seed of Life

5-
Healing Circle

NeoSeraphi
2014-03-21, 02:52 PM
Prayer is not on this list. Why is prayer not on this list? Healers are even more "robed gentle divine caster" than clerics, prayer fits them so well.

Edit: Oh wait, right, these are additions. Of course. Well then, the list looks good. Conviction is a nice addition, as well as cocoon. Though, I feel like the healer should maybe have one or two healer-specific spells that you could homebrew yourself.

ngilop
2014-03-21, 03:27 PM
Here is my own version of the healer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272245)'s spell lisyt> i went with supportive and crowd control spells, as well as anti-undead to round out the spell list staying away from damage as that goes against the grain

most don't like mine only becuase TG oskars is older ( or thats what I been told several times) but even TG liked my version, thouhg it wne tin a more active than passive direction than his. His is still a great re-tool though :)

feel free to take any ideas you want, just remember to give me credit :)

Healers choose their spells from the following list.
0: create water, cure minor wounds, deathwatch, detect magic,detect poison, disrupt undead, guidance, light, mending, purify food and drink, read magic.
1st: bless, bless water, conviction, cure light wounds, delay disease, endure elements, faith healing, goodberry, healthful rest, incite, inhibit, light of lunia, nimbus of light, omen of peril, protection from evil, remove fear, remove paralysis, resurgence, sanctuary, shield of faith, speak with animals, lesser vigor, vision of glory.
2nd: aid, augury, bear's endurance, bull's strength, calm emotions, cat's grace, close wounds, consecrate, cure moderate wounds, delay poison, divine insight, divine protection, eagle's splendor, fox's cunning, gentle repose, hand of divinity, healing lorecall, healing sting, hold person, light of mercuria, living undeath, owl's wisdom, protection from negative energy, resist energy, remove blindness/deafness, remove disease, lesser restoration, lesser spell immunity, stabilize.
3rd: mass aid, air breathing, cloak of bravery, mass conviction, create food and water, cure serious wounds, daylight, grace, haste, heroism, holy storm, mass lesser vigor, light of venya, neutralize poison, prayer, remove curse, mass resist energy, restoration, shield of warding, slow, spark of life, status, tongues, vigor.
4th: cure critical wounds, crushing despair, death ward, delay death, divinaion, freedom of movement, glowing orb, mass cure light wounds, panacea, positive energy aura, recitation, greater resistance, restoration, sheltered vitality, spell immunity, stoneskin.
5th: atonement, break enchantment, greater command, commune, cure grevious wounds, mass cure moderate wounds, hallow, greater heroism, hallow, heal, incorporeal nova, life's grace, raise dead, rejuvenation cocoon, revivify, mass sanctuary, stone to flesh, true seeing, greater vigor.
6th: anger of the noonday sun, anti-life shell, banishment, mass bear's endurance, mass bull's strength, bolt of glory, mass cat's grace, mass eagle's splendor, mass fox's cunning, greater restoration, forbiddance, heroes’ feast, mass cure serious wounds, mass owl's wisdom, regenerate, superior resistance, righteous wrath of the faithful, undead to death, vigorous circle.
7th: aura of vitality, banishment, mass cure critical wounds, eyebite, fortunate fate, holy star, holy word, renewal pact, repulsion, resurrection, mass restoration.
8th: cocoon, mass death ward, discern location, holy aura, mass heal, mind blank, greater spell immunity.
9th: foresight, gate, true resurrection, undeath's eternal foe, wail of the banshee.