PDA

View Full Version : [BitPR2] Gaiden: The weight upon one's back

Kuroimaken
2014-04-04, 11:02 AM
[The Kuzunoha Safehouse]

"Master Shiki. Your guest has arrived."

"Thank you, Rika. Send him in."

Katsuo is asked to come inside Shinji's room. As he walks in, the young onmyouji has just finished putting on a hakama, and now reaches for a coat. These are not unlike the kind of ceremonial vestments Katsuo has seen him use during the meet, but they look more... rugged, somehow. A bit like armor, though not as bulky.

"Thanks for coming, Katsuo-kun. I knew I could rely on you."

strawberryman
2014-04-04, 07:20 PM
Katsuo is clad in his simple green vest-sweater and formal shirt and pants. He shows a bit of curiosity at both the occasion and the attire of his friend.

"...um, sure. What did you need me for?"

Kuroimaken
2014-04-04, 08:19 PM
Gave you fanservice for nothing, I see. :smalltongue:

"I've been thinking a lot lately about Alpha-1 - the AI that took over Naito. As much as she'd like us to believe otherwise, the truth is that she's not emotionless. The seal I used last time proved useless in the end because I did not anticipate just how much stronger her control over spirit particles is.

But perhaps more than that, we lacked strength in equal measure to her anger. I plan on evening the field."

He gestured for Katsuo to accompany him.

"Unlike the Quincy or the Shinigami, we Kuzunoha focus on a different kind of spiritual creature - the ayakashi. The things of folklore. They used to be much more abundant back in the early stages of mankind's development, before the Shinigami started killing Hollows."

They proceed through a set of large double doors. Which leads to a corridor, then another set of doors, and then an elevator. Wherever they're going, it's actually pretty deep.

"I believe I told you before what kinds of methods we use to bind shikigami to our service. Do you remember what those were?"

strawberryman
2014-04-05, 03:24 AM
"...really?" He's a good bit surprised at the size of the manor, but really, it's not like it's the weirdest thing he's seen. "I guess... something did snap. We could use that, but how? She seems pretty above us." He pauses as Shinji continues.

Katsuo nods. "...you create creatures out of paper, or make contracts with demons, right?" He isn't quite sure what else to elaborate upon. For now, he'll listen quietly.

Kuroimaken
2014-04-05, 08:51 AM
"Quite so, yes.

We're not entirely sure what has caused the decline of ayakashi activity nowadays compared to olden days, but they still very much exist, and are typically ignored by even regular mediums. Just as older Shinigami and Hollow are typically more dangerous or powerful, so are ayakashi.

The Kuzunoha clan's most famous member is undoubtedly Abe-no-Seimei, but it has existed long before that. They say it was founded by a nine-tailed kitsune that, by all rights, still lives today."

Shinji and Katsuo arrive at a very large grotto. Strangely enough, the air doesn't feel hotter here like it should. On the way, Katsuo will notice luminescent scrolls glowing brighter as Shinji approaches. They seem to be approaching a gigantic rock, which is covered in ropes, chains, and seals that, despite looking ancient, seem ever-sturdy.

"I'm getting sidetracked, though. Long ago, there were a lot more mediums, just as there were a lot more ayakashi. Many famous religious and mythological beings can be traced back to said ayakashi.

This is the prison for one of them. While it is a minor example of an ancient creature, and while it should by all rights have died from starvation from being sealed for so long, it remains here, alive."

Shinji pulls out a long scroll, which he unfolds, and it remains still in the air. In it is a painting of a six-armed, red-skinned giant.

"This one is Asura."

strawberryman
2014-04-05, 07:50 PM
Katsuo blinks. "A kitsune? Well, I guess it's just as believable as some of the other stuff I've seen." Then Shinji continues.

"...are we going to have to fight it?" He's a fast one, that Katsuo! "I can't think of how else I could help..."

Kuroimaken
2014-04-05, 08:13 PM
"More or less. I'm going to be doing the fighting first thing. I'll weaken the Asura and trap it into my body.

What I need you to help me with is afterwards. There's a chance that I won't be in complete control once I've finished trapping the Asura. If that happens, I'll need you to hold it back until I can assert control again.

I would've asked Hasunaga-sensei, but... the man can be incredibly temperamental about the safety of his students, and he would have probably said no, tried to stop me, or worst case scenario, he'd get angry about it and feed the Asura.

I can trust you not to lose your heart like that. You're the strongest person I know, after all."

Shinji smiled a little embarassedly as he admitted to Katsuo what he thought of him.

strawberryman
2014-04-06, 01:20 AM
Katsuo blinks. Then blushes, himself. "...um. Are you sure you want to go through with this? I guess that might be a silly question, but..." He shakes his head.

"...I'd just hate to hurt you." Nonetheless, there is a understanding in his expression that no matter what, he will have Shinji's back, and he won't let harm come to him or anyone around.

Kuroimaken
2014-04-06, 01:26 AM
"I won't be in any real danger of being hurt. If Asura takes control while I'm trying to slow him down, it'll be him you'll be punching, not me. And besides, I trust you to know when to stop hitting.

I fear controlling Asura may well be the one shot we have at evening the playing field. Chuck's gone, and we don't know how long it might take him to return - IF he does - or when Alpha-1 will strike again.

Worst case scenario, it might be just you and me against her. And I don't want to see you hurt, either. Who knows how many people she could have killed if she unleashed her full power in an urban area..."

strawberryman
2014-04-06, 01:40 AM
Katsuo considers this for a moment, then nods. He rolls up his sleeves, takes a deep breath, and steadies himself as he closes his eyes. After opening his eyes, he nods again. "...okay. I'll do my best."

Kuroimaken
2014-04-06, 01:47 AM
"We do have spares of combat attire, you know. Certainly wouldn't object to loaning them." Shinji smiles up at his friend as he motions his preparedness.

"Being more durable than your clothes must be hell on your wardrobe."

strawberryman
2014-04-06, 01:55 AM
Katsuo actually chuckles at this. "...Don't worry. It'll be fine." There's a wry sort of confidence in his voice.

"Before this, I'd have asked, but I've been... busy, I guess."

Kuroimaken
2014-04-06, 08:34 AM
Shinji perks an eyebrow.

"You've been training?"

strawberryman
2014-04-06, 05:24 PM
"...something like that." Katsuo seems intent to leave it at that!

Kuroimaken
2014-04-06, 09:45 PM
While Shinji can't understand why his friend would choose to leave it so vague, he doesn't seem intent on pressing the issue.

"I'm going to remove the seals now. Get ready."

strawberryman
2014-04-07, 12:15 AM
Katsuo nods grimly, taking a few steps back and steeling himself. For now, he would watch.

Kuroimaken
2014-04-07, 10:28 AM
Shinji turns to the gigantic stone and begins to chant in a language that, to Katsuo, likely sounds like gibberish. There's a sudden swell of energy as a wind that should not be there picks up, rattling the chains and sounding chimes and bells. The chains break first, then the ropes snap. The charms disintegrate slowly, consumed in blue flame.

And finally, the rock starts cracking. From its sides protrude one, two, four, six hands. They reach around and to the center. With a fearsome howl, the Asura tears the remainder of its prison apart, emerging in its 12-ft. tall ashen red glory.

"Hm. I thought you'd be bigger."

strawberryman
2014-04-16, 07:00 AM
Katsuo looks at the spectacle in some wonder, but says nothing. While he was worried for his friend, this was his battle for now.

Kuroimaken
2014-04-16, 08:53 AM
What follows is basically an hour-long battle of wills.

Or at least so can Katsuo presume. His friend and the demon basically stare each other down; the demon will occasionally howl, trying to intimidate Shinji, whom seems to passively stand his ground. After a while, Asura begins to seemingly evaporate as it steams and fumes, growing steadily a little smaller with each passing second. Katsuo notices that his friend, on the other hand, appears to be growing a little bigger in response...

strawberryman
2014-04-17, 12:00 PM
Katsuo shifts his stance somewhat nervously. "...Shinji? Can you hear me? Are you okay?"

Kuroimaken
2014-04-17, 02:22 PM
"Almost there..." is the only response that Shinji can offer. This goes on for a couple more minutes, until the Asura seems to desiccate and crumble into ash. Shinji, too, seems to return to his normal size. All seems normal...

...until the young onmyouji clutches at his chest and bends at the knee. His frame seems to become larger again. His skin tone shifts to bronze, then rust, then red. Two more pairs of arms sprout from his sides, shredding through his clothes. At his forehead, a pair of horns push through.

He howls out at the cavern rooftop, and when he turns, Katsuo can see his friend's eyes are now a pure white, black and red streaks running down his face like tears...

strawberryman
2014-04-17, 02:31 PM
Katsuo takes a slow step backward. His hands are not yet up in an offensive stance, but he is ready for anything. But there is no legitimate fear towards this foe, simply worry for his friend. "...Shinji. You can do this. I know you can."

"There's more to you than this... don't let it drag you down." His piece given, he waits for the response. He wouldn't be the one to throw the first blow.

Kuroimaken
2014-04-17, 02:52 PM
Whether Katsuo's voice reaches Shinji or not is hard to tell. The red-skinned creature bares his fangs, practically foaming at the mouth, letting out a primal scream before it leaps at Katsuo and throws a descending punch.

strawberryman
2014-04-17, 03:34 PM
There's a crunch... as Katsuo's feet dig into the ground, and the Asura's fist is stopped by something almost impossibly solid. Then, not wasting the rest of the momentum, Katsuo pulls and repositions, aiming to flip the Asura onto the ground.

On closer inspection, yellow (or perhaps gold?), chitinous gauntlets have formed over Katsuo's forearms. Assuming he succeeds on the flip, he takes a few cautious steps back as he lets go.

"...I know it might not have seemed fair for you to be stuck in that rock for so long, but in a way, I think they did it for your own good. You're dangerous... but that doesn't mean you deserve to be destroyed."

Kuroimaken
2014-04-17, 04:48 PM
Katsuo's flip ends up unsuccessful mostly as a matter of anatomy - the Asura's extra hands are used to provide it with extra maneuverability in the air as it lands on all sixes. Digging into the cracked earth, it launches itself at the boy in an attempt to grapple him.

As it does, Katsuo can feel its pressure. It is becoming angrier, and as per Shinji's warning, rage is its nourishment of source. Effectively, it is eating at itself to ensure it has the strength to crush his opponent.

strawberryman
2014-04-17, 05:17 PM
Leaning back, Katsuo is grabbed, though the Asura's advantage is mostly in its size. The ayakashi may struggle and squeeze, but there is not a single scrap of anger to gain from Katsuo.

"You're angry... but that's not all you are, is it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTgZOPwJyNQ)?" Katsuo pushes open a space for him to squeeze out of the grip, his legs sliding down and touching on the ground. But then he grasps around the Asura's lower torso... and jumps.

Kuroimaken
2014-04-17, 05:21 PM
Unable to fully comprehend Katsuo's intent, the Asura makes use of the fact it doesn't need all six arms to grasp at the boy and proceeds to try raining punches upon him with a guttural howl.

strawberryman
2014-04-17, 10:08 PM
Katsuo hardly does more than wince as the two reach the apex of his jump, at which he lets go, and grabs at two of the Asura's arms, then starts spiralling downward. The Asura could keep on this ride... but it was going to be painful.

"All that anger... what do you even fight for?" The wind around the two is almost akin to a cyclone. "Or are you just an animal?"

Kuroimaken
2014-04-18, 09:34 AM
By this point, the Asura can't really get away. So it merely intensifies its pounding as best it can. However, with Katsuo holding down two of its arms, it is now at a bigger disadvantage than it was before.

Whether his questions reach the Asura or not is debatable.

strawberryman
2014-04-19, 09:46 PM
The spinning only intensifies as Katsuo and the Asura near the ground. But oddly enough, Katsuo's clothes seem as armor, nearly as hard as himself, they do not tear. "Shinji is stronger than you could ever be, if this is all you are. Because, his will..."

Then, he flips, putting a knee on the Asura's chest, slackening his grip such that he is grabbing at the wrists, and angling towards the ground, the pair crash... Katsuo's opponent taking most of the impact. But there is still more as Katsuo pushes up, angling his head back...

"...our friendship is stronger!" ...then down for a direct clash between their heads. An odd choice, of course, but Katsuo's head was certainly nothing soft.

Kuroimaken
2014-04-20, 10:39 AM
Between the massive spinning piledriver and the headbutt, the Asura appears dizzy for a moment. Katsuo's forehead actually breaks its horns, but perhaps the youth's mistake was to corner the creature too fast.

The ayakashi lets out a fearsome howl, which carries with it much of the strength it has left and a lot of spiritual pressure. Even given how resilient Katsuo is, the youth might find himself blown away by the beast.

strawberryman
2014-04-20, 10:45 AM
Blown away Katsuo is, but after rolling a few times, he regains his footing by digging his hands into the ground. However, this probably gives the Asura a decent opening...

Kuroimaken
2014-04-20, 04:59 PM
The Asura does rear up, howls again, and crouches down to leap...

...until one of his own fists finds the dead center of his face.

Understandably, the creature is stunned in more ways than one. It stares at that rebellious hand, and then a different fist hits it again. And another. And another. Its face and skin crack like brittle clay. One final punch shatters the skin as steam rises from between.

Eventually, the whole thing shatters, leaving the body's original owner behind, albeit in rags from the waist up. The teenager falls to one knee, his fist still held over his face...

strawberryman
2014-04-21, 11:03 AM
Katsuo pulls his arms out of the ground and starts approaching cautiously. "...Shinji?"

Kuroimaken
2014-04-21, 03:23 PM
Shinji groans and wobbles on his knees.

"Urgh... what a headache."

strawberryman
2014-04-21, 09:39 PM
Hardly fractions of a second pass before Katsuo is at his friend's side, providing a steady shoulder to lean on. "...um. Yeah. Sorry about that..." He smiles apologetically.

Kuroimaken
2014-04-21, 10:20 PM
"I didn't help either." Shinji tries to crack a smile, but that pulls a muscle he didn't know was connected to where his face hurts so it instantly turns to a grimace.

"Still... better than I expected. I thought the Asura would fight a lot more... but I guess being locked by nearly a millenium takes a lot out of you.

Thanks, by the way."

strawberryman
2014-04-24, 11:28 AM
"...we're friends, right? This is what friends do." Katsuo pauses to think on that statement. "...well, not it's normal friend stuff, but I guess we don't need to think about that too much." He gives a light chuckle as he continues supporting his friend.

"Can you make it upstairs?"

Kuroimaken
2014-04-24, 12:39 PM
"Probably best if we don't get bogged down with the specifics, yeah." Shinji chuckled back, then winced again.

"I think I can... but I'm gonna need a shoulder. Sorry for depending on you so much."

strawberryman
2014-04-24, 04:21 PM
Katsuo gives a small smile at that. "You don't need to apologize for that, Shinji." From there, he helps his friend upstairs, even bodily lifting him if need be. "It's the right thing to do, and I think you'd do the same for me if I needed it."

Kuroimaken
2014-04-24, 07:30 PM
Shinji does blush a little as his friend comforts him. "You were the right choice for a partner in this, Katsuo. Anyone else would have hesitated. Fed the Asura. You didn't. You knew what you had to do and you didn't think twice.

This is why I think you're the strongest person I know."

strawberryman
2014-04-25, 02:04 AM
Katsuo gives a wry smile. "...I guess I just trusted in you. I'm not that strong. I can't even stand up to... well, that doesn't matter right now. Let's just say it's a lot harder for me to fight for myself." He shakes it off.

"These powers... they're almost the exact opposite of what I am. I don't like to fight, or hurt people, or anything like that. I probably wouldn't kill one of those hollows if it came down to it... When it comes to defending myself, I feel weak, because, well... I guess it's hard to think you're worth anything when you spend so long being told you aren't." His eyes go dark as he looks to the walls, his smile fading.

Shinji might notice that since the basement, Katsuo may have forgotten to put away the yellow gauntlets around his arms.

Kuroimaken
2014-04-25, 08:51 AM
"Well that won't do. I can't have a friend thinking so lowly of himself.

Katsuo, you ARE worth something. You're worthy of my friendship. You're worthy of my trust.

I don't believe in coincidence. If you have these powers, then it must be for a reason. Lacking the desire to fight is actually a lot more admirable than you realize.

I can't even think of a metaphor that's any better than what you accomplished a little while ago. You literally beat the fighting spirit of something that was born to fight."

Whether or not he realized it just now, the onmyouji casts a glance towards those gauntlets.

"Those are new. Since when...?" He doesn't complete the sentence for fear of being inaccurate.

strawberryman
2014-04-25, 07:47 PM
Katsuo is silent as Shinji speaks, his cheeks lighting pink at the praise, but only slightly. The kid sure is resistant to praise. But then, when the gauntlets come up, he's broken from his reverie as he looks down, and stutters out a response.

"...oh, t-those?" With a brief pause in his gait, the gauntlets flash and disappear from his hands. "I just... found out about them. While I was... I guess, talking, with my necklace. And... other things. My clothes can be a lot tougher and harder now, and I think I can do the same for others. It's almost kind of like having my own shell..." He snickers a bit at the analogy.

"...sorry, just my bug nerd talking."

Kuroimaken
2014-04-25, 11:58 PM
"You apologize a lot, you know?" Shinji offered with a small smile. (Ouch. He might not crack a real smile for days.)

"Trust me, I've heard stranger talk. One rather infamous cousin of ours created a shikigami to pretend he had a girlfriend. Can you imagine?"