PDA

View Full Version : Spiritualist, Revised (3.5; PEACH)

Ralcos
2014-04-11, 02:00 PM
I wanted to repost this so I can still get any advice/criticisms that anyone can think of for this class.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2007/344/9/a/Orc_Shaman_by_TadeoTadei.jpg

The Spiritualist

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wRVR4DdEFF7svkCeH5T7RP77e90BA2TCaQcEGlL-LJc/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT: I think that 66 spirits is enough. :smallbiggrin:
EDIT 2: Lowered the number of spirits and changed many of them to fit the essence of the creature itself.

TroubleBrewing
2014-04-11, 02:11 PM
Seems like an interesting class, but the abilities seem a little lackluster. The spell list, in particular, looks a bit tame. What kind of power level were you shooting for?

Ralcos
2014-04-11, 02:12 PM
Seems like an interesting class, but the abilities seem a little lackluster. The spell list, in particular, looks a bit tame. What kind of power level were you shooting for?

Tier 2 to Tier 3
What power level is this?
Would I need to add more to the spell list and spirits that one can channel?

Overneath
2014-04-11, 02:42 PM
The spirits are fine. As your class's primary feature, it's actually very versatile and interesting. They could stand to do more, though. Perhaps the addition of a secondary ability to each spirit, unlocked at a certain level? With so many spirits, though, that would be quite a task, but simple things like damage reduction/resistance or bonuses to ability scores could fit the bill.

As for spellcasting, yes. You do need more spells. To put this in perspective, the Spirit Shaman (which is where I assume you drew some inspiration from) has far more class features and access to 9th level spells. If you want tier 3, you'll need at least 6th level spells. Tier 2 would require 9th level spells and boosts to the power of each spirit, most likely.

As it stands, though, this is a fresh take on spirit channeling, with bonuses suited to various tasks. You won't necessarily be a skillmonkey, but you will absolutely not be confined to a single role. One might suggest a few more class features revolving around the 'finding and channeling spirits' theme, but Spirit Shaman has the run of that field.

Ralcos
2014-04-11, 04:56 PM
The spirits are fine. As your class's primary feature, it's actually very versatile and interesting. They could stand to do more, though. Perhaps the addition of a secondary ability to each spirit, unlocked at a certain level? With so many spirits, though, that would be quite a task, but simple things like damage reduction/resistance or bonuses to ability scores could fit the bill.

As for spellcasting, yes. You do need more spells. To put this in perspective, the Spirit Shaman (which is where I assume you drew some inspiration from) has far more class features and access to 9th level spells. If you want tier 3, you'll need at least 6th level spells. Tier 2 would require 9th level spells and boosts to the power of each spirit, most likely.

As it stands, though, this is a fresh take on spirit channeling, with bonuses suited to various tasks. You won't necessarily be a skillmonkey, but you will absolutely not be confined to a single role. One might suggest a few more class features revolving around the 'finding and channeling spirits' theme, but Spirit Shaman has the run of that field.

EDIT: Actually, I got inspiration for this class from the 4e descriptors for primal powers. I just thought it'd be cool to have a class that answers the call of the spirits of the universe (without many restrictions).

EDIT 2: Created Primal Domains and balanced them (hopefully). Take a look!

Then increasing the max spell level to 6 is a must!
Any other suggestions?

Ralcos
2014-04-11, 11:14 PM
I know that this might seem early, but:
No more ideas/criticisms? Jeez, I knew that the class was good, but not THAT good...

Overneath
2014-04-12, 01:37 AM
I believe that the Homebrew Design forum has simply been slower since the site reset.

A quick note: The class table says that Primal Assistance upgrades at level 16, but the ability description says nothing of this.

The full list of Spirits and what they do could use a look, even though there are so many that they end up balanced simply by virtue of averages. I might do so myself when I am rested, but I'd prefer to wait and see if someone with more finesse than myself is up to the task. Initially, I note that the power gap between them can be fairly wide, like with Incarnum abilities, and some even outright render the others unnecessary, though the ability to stack them alleviates this somewhat.