PDA

View Full Version : What's up With the Warlock?

dead_but_dreaming
2007-02-07, 11:52 AM
Meet the Warlock: a wielder of infernal, instinctive powers. His dark heritage allows him to tap the slumbering, hellish energies within his very soul with barely a thought, unleashing an arcane torrent of destruction upon his enemies... unless he wears medium armor which hampers the complicated movements needed to do so...? You following me? The complicated gestures required to cast instinctive magic?

Seriously, what's up with that? If he casts pesudo-spells by instinct, why isn't he a sorcerer? Why isn't there a class that really uses magic by instinct, gaining true spell like abilities?

Tola
2007-02-07, 12:05 PM
Not enough control to make them into true spells. That's my thought on it.

They ARE similar, from what I've heard. Their basic premise-power from within, instinctively shaped-is the same. The way I see it, the Sorcerer has enough control to turn that energy into proper, known spells. The Warlock lacks this.

But that's 'fluff', I think you'd call it.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-02-07, 12:07 PM
You following me? The complicated gestures required to cast instinctive magic?
A bird's flight is largly instinctual, yet it requires a supreme amount of dexterity that would easily be hampered by anything that restricts wing movements.

Instinctual doesn't mean "simple act of will." Though for one following the instincts, that's how it feels, the truth is, it's not. It's just that most of the complex details are taken over by the creature's "automatic pilot." That doesn't mean it cannot be easily disrupted.

Piccamo
2007-02-07, 12:20 PM
Warlocks still must use gestures to complete the innate spells. If you want casters without somatic components play with psionics.

Diggorian
2007-02-07, 12:22 PM
I see what dead's saying, but there's confusion over 'instinctual'. Instinct is the source of magic but not how it's shaped. Sorcerors know how to cast from instinct but the methods of casting are inhibited by armor.

Spell-like abilities arent supposed to be affected by armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities), but a Warlock's are. I'd take out the arcane spell failure for the class. Light armor is part of their training but heavier armors can be gained with feats.

Folks say Warlocks are underpowered anyway, whether or not they are, this change wouldnt be game-breaking.

dead_but_dreaming
2007-02-07, 12:38 PM
I see what dead's saying, but there's confusion over 'instinctual'. Instinct is the source of magic but not how it's shaped. Sorcerors know how to cast from instinct but the methods of casting are inhibited by armor.

Spell-like abilities arent supposed to be affected by armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities), but a Warlock's are. I'd take out the arcane spell failure for the class. Light armor is part of their training but heavier armors can be gained with feats.

Folks say Warlocks are underpowered anyway, whether or not they are, this change wouldnt be game-breaking.

Exactly! You could even remove light armor prof. alltogether and sort of switch it with Battle Caster (that feat that allows an arcane caster who can cast arcane spells in armor cast spells in armor of the next category... ok that wording was pretty awkward I guess :smallredface:)...

Diggorian
2007-02-07, 12:49 PM
Dumping light armor and giving Battle caster though brings ya back to step one, but they now need a feat to wear light armor well.

I'd just make them comply with the existing rules on spell-like abilities, which allows them more options than other casters.

Piccamo
2007-02-07, 12:57 PM
In standard DnD light armor is going to do just fine. What kind of warlock build were you trying to make, anyway?

dead_but_dreaming
2007-02-07, 03:31 PM
@Piccamo: I'm not trying to build anything at all right now, my issue is with the flavor of the class.

@Diggorian: As I said: It's all about flavor. IF allowing the warlock to wear all armor withour Arcan Spell Failure would indeed turn out to be a balance issue, removing light armor prof. might be the way to remedy that. However, I believe the warlock is underpowered as it is so it's probably not needed anyway.

gaymer_seattle
2007-02-07, 03:36 PM
This is the response I gave to the post for "What's Wrong with the Waqrlock"

Well if you are playing Pulleys and Plumb-bobs you are absolutely correct. The mechanics of the Warlock pretty much do everything you say.

Now I personally play Dungeon's and Dragons, a game of fantasy and creative thought, where my warlock is a creature born of an unholy union, is tormented by thoughts that he cannot always control, and bears demonic powers that most mortals cannot comprehend.

Nothing wrong with my warlock

Jack Mann
2007-02-07, 03:41 PM
Gaymer, if you're not going to read the threads, don't post to them. This thread isn't about the many deficiencies of the warlock's mechanics in game balance. This one is an issue of flavor not being supported by the mechanics. Your post makes no sense in this context.