Trade 1
Trade 2
Trade 3
Trade 4
Advanced Trade

Hit Die
d8
Requirements
To qualify to become a jack of all trades, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus
+6
Feats
One of the following: Improved Unarmed Strike, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Combat Expertise, or Two Weapon Fighting
and Quick Draw
Special
Once having chosen their advanced trade, a jack of all trades will be unable to take feats related to other trades, and will lose these feats if they are already learned (lost feats may be replaced, of course).

Class Skills
The jack of all trades has no class skills, but when gaining a level as a jack of all trades, and only as a jack of all trades, they are considered as having the Able Learner feat (may purchase skill points in cross class skills for 1 skill point, but still limited to half normal skill maximums).
They receive 4 + Int modifier skill points each level.

Class Features
All of the following are Class Features of the jack of all trades prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A jack of all trades is proficient with all weapons, armors, and shields.

Trades
At each level a jack of all trades selects a new trade from the following, with the benefits of each described below: the "Expert", the "handy-man", the "archer", the "power hungry", or the "speed demon"

The "Expert"
When chosen, the jack of all trades may gain the combat expertise feat for free, regardless if all requirements are met.

The "Handy-man"
When chosen, the jack of all trades may gain the improved unarmed strike feat for free, regardless if all requirements are met.

The "Archer"
When chosen, the jack of all trades may gain the point blank shot feat for free, regardless if all requirements are met.

The "Power Hungry"
When chosen, the jack of all trades may gain the power attack feat for free, regardless if all requirements are met.

The "Speed Demon"
When chosen, the jack of all trades may gain the two weapon fighting (and/or ambidexterity if playing 3.0) feat for free, regardless if all requirements are met.

Advanced Trade
At fifth level, the jack of all trades chooses one trade (even one not taken before) to put a little more focus on, allowing them a choice of two feats related to that trade. Once their advanced trade is selected, a jack of all trades cannot have any feats from another trade.

The "Expert"
If chosen, the jack of all trades may take two feats from: Improved Disarm, Improved Feint, Improved Trip, or Whirlwind Attack, regardless if all requirements are met.

The "Handy-man"
If chosen, the jack of all trades may take two feats from: Deflect Arrows, Improved Grapple, Snatch Arrows, or Stunning Fist, regardless if all requirements are met.

The "Archer"
If chosen, the jack of all trades may take two feats from: Far Shot, Rapid Shot, Manyshot, Shot On The Run, or Improved Precise Shot, regardless if all requirements are met.

The "Power Hungry"
If chosen, the jack of all trades may take two feats from: Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, or Improved Sunder, regardless if all requirements are met.

The "Speed Demon"
If chosen, the jack of all trades may take two feats from: Two Weapon Defense and Improved Two Weapon Fighting, regardless if all requirements are met.

-----

I made this at the request of my fighter who pointed out that I, in two separate sessions, had either flying enemies that never landed or enemies across a gap - both situations where his +1 Falchion was completely useless, and furthermore, he was useless with a bow. This is my solution, a fighter (or ranger), willing and able to switch weapons to fit the situation, without having to spend several levels getting feats that he'd only use half the time anyways. However, to flesh out the class a bit, I decided to throw in pretty much every archetype - the "expert" refers to the more intelligent fighters who use their combination of wit and strength to weaken enemies before taking them out, the "handy-man" is obviously the monk (see what I did there?), the "archer" is also quite obvious, the "power hungry" refers to fighters who trade accuracy for strength and can lay into many enemies at once, and finally the "speed demon" refers to fighters who prefer a flurry of weaker or less accurate strikes but still powerful in their own right. As I fleshed out the class, I did more and more to make it live up to its name, following neither a good nor a bad improvement on all three saves, and the ability to put some skill points where you might never be able to put them otherwise.

-----

Any feedback would be very much appreciated - this is my first attempt at homebrew, and one of my first times DMing. Thanks for reading!

Loek
2014-04-15, 06:17 AM
First off, the idea is nice. I especially like the way this class handles skills.

However, I'd recommend changing it a bit (if only in formatting). I'd change the skill section to saying it has no class skills and then giving him a class feature at first level that applies the "able learner" like feature.

Similarly I'd recommend some re-formatting at the feat requirements to something like:
Quick draw
and one of the following feats

The special seems a bit off, as it has nothing to do with entering the class. Instead incorporate it with the class feature it's related to (advanced trade) and be more clear about what it means. (e.g.: do you lose feats represented by the trades, that you selected outside this class? or only those granted by the trades themselves?).

However, beyond this. You get full BaB, full saves (all three) and moderate skill points.

For a fighter, this represents a (up to) 4 level class, where you get (up to) 4 (unrelated to each other) feats, better saves, more skill points with only a minor decrease in hit points.

Or a 5 level class, where you get 3 (mostly) pre-selected feats. Better will and reflex saves and some additional skill points. But at the cost of hit points, banning several feat trees. On top of this, when progressing as a fighter you'd have gained 2.5 feats in the same amount of levels.

But for the best (and only sensible, in my opinion) use, a fighter would take 1 level. Netting him +2 to all his saves, increases skill points with an easier way of distributing them to odd skills and 1 of the 5 feats for free. At the low cost of on average 1 hit point (and maybe the quick draw feat).

EDIT (done some extra thinking) So for 4 levels, you are actually a jack of all trades (with the aformentioned problems), but at level 5 you are suddenly extremely more focused then before. (And if you were already going to take those 3 feats, you actually gain 0.5 feats, plenty of saves and some skill point for 5 hit points - and not being able to take some other PrC)

So in conclusion:

I'd advice you to reorganize some of the writing. (and the table, it looks weird).

And probably make it a true jack of all trades (less penalty at the final level) and somehow somewhat less dipping potential.

PS: some basic ideas, give it one weak save (at least). Some other feature besides the trades (maybe choice of a slower progression of either sneak attack, bonus feats, or similar class features). And finally something that makes advanced trade worth it (maybe coinciding it with an increase of the aforementioned progression).

[EDIT: take a look at the chameleon class (races of destiny), which does some of this, and might actually be what you are looking for (either to take as a whole, or to use as a basis for this class).]

But probably (taking into account the reason why you made this class), giving your fighter some minor spell casting/invoking (I'm a big fan of invoking) "tricks" would probably be more effective (if not fully in line with the proposed class).

BasketOfPuppies
2014-04-15, 07:48 AM
I noticed that you gave proficiency with ALL weapons, does that include all exotic weapons?

YoshiCline
2014-04-15, 03:37 PM
Thank you for the responses. Here is version 1.2 based on input from both of you.

----

Jack of All Trades

Level
BAB
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

1st
+1
+1
+1
+1
Trade, Able Learner

2nd
+2
+2
+2
+2
Trade, Not that Hard

3rd
+3
+2
+2
+2
Trade, Natural Skill

4th
+4
+3
+3
+3
Trade

5th
+5
+3
+3
+3
Advanced Trades, Not that Hard

Hit Dice
2d3

Requirements
To qualify to become a jack of all trades, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Base Attack Bonus
+6

Feats
Quick Draw, and one of the following: Improved Unarmed Strike, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Combat Expertise, or Two Weapon Fighting

Class Skills
The jack of all trades has no class skills.
They receive 2 + Int modifier skill points each level.

Class Features
All of the following are Class Features of the jack of all trades prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A jack of all trades gains up to medium armor and small shields, but gain no weapon proficiency.

Trades
At each level a jack of all trades selects a new trade from the following, with the benefits of each described below: the "Expert", the "handy-man", the "archer", the "power hungry", or the "speed demon"

The "Expert"
When chosen, the jack of all trades may gain the combat expertise feat for free, regardless if all requirements are met.

The "Handy-man"
When chosen, the jack of all trades may gain the improved unarmed strike feat for free, regardless if all requirements are met.

The "Archer"
When chosen, the jack of all trades may gain the point blank shot feat for free, regardless if all requirements are met.

The "Power Hungry"
When chosen, the jack of all trades may gain the power attack feat for free, regardless if all requirements are met.

The "Speed Demon"
When chosen, the jack of all trades may gain the two weapon fighting (and/or ambidexterity if playing 3.0) feat for free, regardless if all requirements are met.

Able Learner
At first level the jack of all trades receives the Able Learner feat for free.

Not that Hard
At second level the jack of all trades may reduce the penalties for using a weapon they aren't proficient in from -4 to -2. At fifth level, it is reduced again to only a -1.

Natural Skill
At third level the jack of all trades may take the Natural Skill feat for free. (Gain one extra skill point per level).

Advanced Trades
At fifth level, the jack of all trades may take any combination of two feats, regardless of requirements, associated with their trades as shown below. They are not limited to trades taken in previous levels.

The "Expert"
Improved Disarm, Improved Feint, Improved Trip, and Whirlwind Attack.

The "Handy-man"
Deflect Arrows, Improved Grapple, Snatch Arrows, and Stunning Fist.

The "Archer"
Far Shot, Rapid Shot, Manyshot, Shot On The Run, and Improved Precise Shot.

The "Power Hungry"
Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, and Improved Sunder.

The "Speed Demon"
Two Weapon Defense and Improved Two Weapon Fighting.

----
Made the suggested formatting changes, added some more progression, and tried something a little different with the saves. I also removed the sacrifices entirely, so I lowered to a base of 2 skill points per level (but gaining a skill point per level from 3rd on which applies to classes taken afterwards), and tried something a little different with hit dice. Also changed proficiency a little bit as we talked about earlier, basketofpuppies.

[Ninja Edit] - said I changed skill points to 2 plus Int, but forgot to change after copy pasting. Now fixed.

Loek
2014-04-15, 04:38 PM
Technically speaking, your save progression doesn't exist... but f* that, homebrew is homebrew, I like it.

(Wording nitpicking) "may gain" and "may take", I wouldn't use that kind of wording, just use "gains".

Advanced trades: needs more clear wording, as it currently seems that you can pick 2 feats of each trade you possess (or 2 feats from any of the trades you possess).

Not that hard: interesting, but I think I'd keep it to the single increase.

Natural skill: Feels... weird, but not bad. However, I think it might be more in line with the "jack of all trades" concept to (for example) allow the player to pick 1 skill and make it a class skill for the jack of all trades (maybe at 1, 3 and 5th level?). [maybe even for all classes after that?]

Able learner: Keep it limited to just levels of jack of all trades (currently 1 level dip gives +1 to all saves and 2 (mediocre) feats).

Overall, I still think you get too many feats from this class (now more then ever, even if you just get the 2 from advanced trade). My suggestion, limit the jack of all trades to 1 trade per day (start of the day, for the rest of the day) and maybe 1 (or more) burst of X minutes per day instead getting the benefits of one of the other trades.

Something like this:

At the start of the day, the jack of all trades chooses one trade to specialize in. He gets the benefits of that trade only today. The jack of all trades can temporarily change his active trade, instead gaining the benefits of another trade. The ability last for an amount of minutes equal to his amount of class levels. The jack of all trades can use this ability 1 time per day per level in the jack of all trades class.

Might need some alternate form of advanced trade in this case though... maybe just 1 additional feat, but for all trades you possess? Also... more trades... because you gain 4 (or 5 if your advanced trade is a new one) out of the 5 options.

Actually, just remove the "new trade" part of advanced trade, only allow already known trades to be "advanced".

Hope this helps.