PDA

View Full Version : Mount & Blade

Demosthenes
2007-02-07, 04:52 PM
Hello all.

I'm just wondering, do any of you here play mount&blade? It's a great game and i'd like to know any fellow players.

Cybren
2007-02-07, 07:48 PM
Yes. If only it were multiplayer.

Murongo
2007-02-07, 08:07 PM
Amen, if you could put like 8 people on a map and play it out it would be sweet. The only problem I have with the game is that my melee character is so ridiculous that combat tends to be me charging far ahead of my troops and destroying the entire enemy army before my guys even get there.

Demosthenes
2007-02-07, 10:34 PM
Heh, that's the beauty of an unfinished, mod-able game. The possibilities are endless. Currently I enjoy a nice mix of "Band of warriors" and the "Crafting mod"

*edit* Although, the AI is pretty shoddy right now. Perhaps they will upgrade it soon?

Dhavaer
2007-02-08, 04:36 AM
I like it, although starting as a Court Lady pretty generally means you'll rip apart anything else until you get to knights and cavalry archers, and even then they go down pretty easily.

The Evil Thing
2007-02-08, 05:03 AM
Guilty as charged over here. The only thing that really annoys me about the game is the horrendous melee combat system. Attack direction based on mouse movement AND enemy position? Aaaargh!

Premier
2007-02-08, 05:49 AM
Guilty as charged over here. The only thing that really annoys me about the game is the horrendous melee combat system. Attack direction based on mouse movement AND enemy position? Aaaargh!
Isn't it possible to change that in the options menu? I think it used to be.

The Dirge
2007-02-08, 05:55 AM
The AI is so bad, I single handedly defeated 3 units of archers at level 5 with a club because I kept moving around and they shot each other in the back!

The Evil Thing
2007-02-08, 02:12 PM
The combat system is supposed to be either enemy position OR mouse movement. Unfortunately, I still end up swinging in the opposite direction I intend or chopping. That's stupid. Who would chop when on a horse?

Cybren
2007-02-09, 01:09 AM
The AI is so bad, I single handedly defeated 3 units of archers at level 5 with a club because I kept moving around and they shot each other in the back!
Until you take out 40 dark knights at level 6-9 with the difficulty all the way up stop whining

The Evil Thing
2007-02-09, 06:29 AM
Until you take out 40 dark knights at level 6-9 with the difficulty all the way up stop whining
*sob*

My poor sumpter horse. Yeah, I lost.

Swordguy
2007-02-09, 11:09 AM
Oof. I love this game. The combat system is a thing of inspiration, especially for those who are heartily sick of "click as fast as you can" games.

And the Horse Archery!

Cybren
2007-02-09, 09:50 PM
*sob*

My poor sumpter horse. Yeah, I lost.
It's pretty much impossible without atleast a charger and a lance i imagine, no matter what level you are...

Soniku
2007-02-10, 09:44 AM
The only thing that really annoys me about the game is the horrendous melee combat system. Attack direction based on mouse movement AND enemy position? Aaaargh!

It may not quite be perfect, but it's a hundred times better than oblivions "Hold down block while looking in their general direction then hit them". I definitely like the way you can't parry with a knife and axes just chop through shields.

The Evil Thing
2007-02-10, 03:20 PM
It may not quite be perfect, but it's a hundred times better than oblivions "Hold down block while looking in their general direction then hit them". I definitely like the way you can't parry with a knife and axes just chop through shields.
Ugh, you're right, that was even worse! If only because your allies worked terribly hard to block your attacks with their bodies. :smallannoyed:

Beleriphon
2007-02-10, 09:24 PM
Terrific game. Just terrific. And dismantling dark riders is easy with a two hander, say an axe, while mounted on a heavy charger and just running at them full tilt. I've gotten very good at hitting them in the head this way.

Assasinater
2007-02-12, 02:57 PM
The melee combat system is horrendous? It is the best in whole damn gaming industry(it may have a few flaws, but come on), and it is really sad when you think of how many people are working on this game, when compared to the big-shot game companies.

The Evil Thing
2007-02-12, 05:10 PM
It's realistic, I just find it horribly cumbersome and difficult to use. Except forward chops. No-one needs those. Ever. Especially on a horse.

Demosthenes
2007-02-12, 11:45 PM
Actually, the overhead chop is quite useful when on foot, as it is an automatic head hit.

Beleriphon
2007-02-13, 02:11 AM
It's realistic, I just find it horribly cumbersome and difficult to use. Except forward chops. No-one needs those. Ever. Especially on a horse.

You can't perform overhand chops when mounted. You can only do forehand or backhand swings.

BTW, hand anybody downloaded and played the mod that adds firearms? Good lord do I enjoy charging about the battlefield with my rifle killing guys with a single round. And sniping, so much more fun, I'm pulling off 8.0 and higher difficulty shots!

Demosthenes
2007-02-13, 11:45 AM
Aye. the firearms mod is quite good. Though, right now I'm enjoying the newest Band of Warriors mod as a footman :smallbiggrin:

The Evil Thing
2007-02-13, 12:26 PM
You can't perform overhand chops when mounted. You can only do forehand or backhand swings.
Oh, how I wish that were true.

Would it be so hard to have left click for forehand and right click for backhand? That would make the game perfect.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-15, 07:44 AM
Pray tell, where can I find this awesome game?

Tekar
2007-02-15, 12:52 PM
Pray tell, where can I find this awesome game?
Google it :smallconfused: (http://www.google.be/search?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B2GGGL_nlBE177&q=mount+%26+blade)

Beleriphon
2007-02-15, 04:01 PM
Oh, how I wish that were true.

Would it be so hard to have left click for forehand and right click for backhand? That would make the game perfect.

Yes it would since right clicking is for blocks. To do a forehand or backhand chop all you have to do is lean your mount in that direction and you'll automatically start attacking that way.

The Evil Thing
2007-02-15, 04:38 PM
Have middle mouse for blocks. Good grief, :smallsmile: it's not like you need to aim THOSE.

And I swear that the swing direction changes arbitrarily. Maybe I'm nudging the mouse ever so slightly in the wrong direction just before attack but that shouldn't affect anything. *grumble*

Beleriphon
2007-02-17, 05:56 PM
Have middle mouse for blocks. Good grief, :smallsmile: it's not like you need to aim THOSE.

And I swear that the swing direction changes arbitrarily. Maybe I'm nudging the mouse ever so slightly in the wrong direction just before attack but that shouldn't affect anything. *grumble*

That would do it, also if you have the game set to swinging based on enemy position you have some control over the attacks, but it isn't very fine. Setting the swings to mouse direction helps a great deal.

BTW, has anybody else found the strange armour and weapons?

The Evil Thing
2007-02-17, 06:13 PM
Define "strange".

Black armour shouldn't strictly offer more protection than typical metal plate, for instance.

Beleriphon
2007-02-18, 05:11 AM
Define "strange".

Black armour shouldn't strictly offer more protection than typical metal plate, for instance.

Strange, as in literally labeled as such. There are six pieces of gear labelled Strange Armor, Strange Helmet, Strange Boots, Strange Shortsword, Strange Greatsword and Strange Sword. There are three chests hidden in the towns, each containing two of the six pieces of gear.

As for Black armour, its not so much that its just black its that it happens to be black and much better made.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-18, 07:13 AM
How do you give gear to your guys? Mine keep running into battle with no gear and unarmed, and then get pwned by the enemy, leaving me with 20 odd angry bandits to deal with alone.

And wher can I buy a new ghorse? Mine is crippled so I can't gallop. I keep dying because large mobs keep catching upw ith me

SmartAlec
2007-02-18, 08:25 AM

Odd, I manage to do it often without intending to. I don't recommend it, though, landing an overhead chop from horseback takes much more timing and precision than a forehand or backhand, and there's no actual advantage to it.

Deepblue706
2007-02-18, 01:03 PM
I finally got to play this for the first time yesterday - my friend had it on 107% difficulty when I started, but eh...I didn't have the heart to adjust it.

I got my ass kicked by River Pirates. Not that I really knew what I was doing...

But then, I went back to town got a Watchmen, and two Townsman, and got my vengeance. Also, I freed two of my farmer buddies that they took hostage.

I managed to amaze my friend in that I was better against Mountain Bandits than River Pirates.

Iunno, I guess I'm just weak against enemies that carry rocks and other unsophisticated weapons. Javelins were no problem for me, nor were other guys on horseback. But rocks? Eh...that's when I say "Charge" and sit back with my bow.

I started as a Merchant, STR 6 AGI 6 INT 9 CHA 9, right now going single-handed weapons (level 2 now). I'd have gotten more done, but that friend of mine kept whining because he wanted to jump on his character and show me how much better at the game he was.

Beleriphon
2007-02-19, 05:38 AM
Odd, I manage to do it often without intending to. I don't recommend it, though, landing an overhead chop from horseback takes much more timing and precision than a forehand or backhand, and there's no actual advantage to it.

Well you can, but you can be moving. If you're moving you should only be able to do the forehand or backhand.

How do you give gear to your guys? Mine keep running into battle with no gear and unarmed, and then get pwned by the enemy, leaving me with 20 odd angry bandits to deal with alone.

And wher can I buy a new ghorse? Mine is crippled so I can't gallop. I keep dying because large mobs keep catching upw ith me

You can get horses from any of the Shops in town. Not the weapon/armor merchants though, there is a store labelled shop. Once you have gear, go to the world map, press P to bring up the Party screen. Select the NPC you want to equip (Marnid or Borcha in Native) and hit talk. You have the option to give them stuff, just drag anything you want them to wear, ride or wield into their inventory. Keep in mind they won't use anything they aren't skilled enough to use Marnid is particularly bad to start with since his stats are so low.

Cybren
2007-02-19, 08:15 PM
Strange, as in literally labeled as such. There are six pieces of gear labelled Strange Armor, Strange Helmet, Strange Boots, Strange Shortsword, Strange Greatsword and Strange Sword. There are three chests hidden in the towns, each containing two of the six pieces of gear.

As for Black armour, its not so much that its just black its that it happens to be black and much better made.
You mean the samurai armor? it's pretty good. And certainly cool looking. Although if you want some asian feel you can get Onin no Ra. Not sure if it's updated to .8xx yet

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-20, 11:53 AM
You can get horses from any of the Shops in town. Not the weapon/armor merchants though, there is a store labelled shop. Once you have gear, go to the world map, press P to bring up the Party screen. Select the NPC you want to equip (Marnid or Borcha in Native) and hit talk. You have the option to give them stuff, just drag anything you want them to wear, ride or wield into their inventory. Keep in mind they won't use anything they aren't skilled enough to use Marnid is particularly bad to start with since his stats are so low.
Where might I find this shop in say...the first town (Begins with Z. Or has a Z in it)

NorrabMaster
2007-02-20, 02:58 PM
I just got the new version and I have been searching for an old mod I used to play and was wondering if it had been ported over. I dont remember the name of the mod but it was the one that let you have the named NPCs from the arena in Zendar join your party. I have searched and googled it several times but have not found it

Han any one help me here...

Thanks

NM

Mad_Max
2007-02-20, 04:51 PM
Awesome game. I got the demo a long time ago, and bought full version the same day. As for the shops go into town and look for signs above doors. The pitcher is for the inn and the bag is for the shop.

Abardam
2007-02-20, 05:13 PM

That is probably because they are peasants. Upgrade them.

Unless you were talking about your heroes.

Deepblue706
2007-02-20, 08:22 PM
To give gear to heroes, you need to go to the party menu (P), and choose "Talk" after highlighting one of their names. Select the trading option, and there you go.

They can't use just anything, though. Select the "Tell me about yourself" option to check their statistics and such.

Cybren
2007-02-20, 09:37 PM
ugh, so I was about to join a 100 steppe bandits vs 2 farmers fight, figuring i could solo steppe bandits easy with my 15 swadian peasants. I mean sure they'd die but i'd free quadruple the amount of prisoners. Then the fight ends and the 100 bandits split into six groups of 10-20, and this is just a pain.

Beleriphon
2007-02-21, 03:04 AM
Where might I find this shop in say...the first town (Begins with Z. Or has a Z in it)

Its directly to the right of the armour merchant. Just walk up to the door until it tells you its a shop.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-21, 01:11 PM
Okay, I found the shop. Problem. I can't equip stuff to my guys. I talk to them and I only have two options: Tell me about yourself and Keep Moving

Cybren
2007-02-21, 10:13 PM
You can only equip things on your companions, Marnid or Borcha. The rest of them have stock equipment based on their level

Deepblue706
2007-02-22, 12:13 AM
Dude, I hate when hostiles merge into huge armies. I usually join whatever battles I see - but upon the close inspection of one such battle I was about to run into, I found a group of about 20 Vaegirs against 30 Dark Knights, 20 Mountain Bandits, about 30 Forest Bandits, 15 River Pirates...

I had 26 men, not including heroes. Yeah...I tried fighting anyway but I ended up leaving after about 3 minutes passed - and about 9 of my stronger men died (poor Horsemen...).

As much as mounted units are helpful, I find it really annoying how they keep getting in the way when I'm trying to do a couched lance attack. The horse halts, and before I can run, I have like 10 guys on me and I'm dismounted. And, it's not like I'm even running into the middle of the fight! Generally, I pick them off the sides, and work my way towards the center, cleaning up the mess with a broadsword.

However, I have recently begun to find that simply holding position with an army of Swadian Sharpshooters can be rough on my opposition.

Cybren
2007-02-22, 12:19 AM
Well have you ever tried fighting Swadian Sharpshooters? Yeah better hope you have a good shield.

Deepblue706
2007-02-22, 02:25 PM
Yeah...I don't fight things that can easily kill me unless there's another group of people there too. In which case, I can just run away (so long as they don't get slaughtered before me...).

Cybren
2007-02-22, 09:06 PM
Beating anything is easy.
batlte starts
press 1
couch your lance.
ride it into the other guys face.
repeat x times where x is the number of enemies.
Helps if you're a court lady

Beleriphon
2007-02-23, 05:30 AM
Okay, I found the shop. Problem. I can't equip stuff to my guys. I talk to them and I only have two options: Tell me about yourself and Keep Moving

The first option is to trade with them, or rather sell them equipment you already have.

Dragor
2007-02-23, 04:07 PM
I played Mount and Blade long ago, I never bought it though. PC Zone said it was "good but unfinished." While this is true, it's still pretty damn fun even when it IS unfinished- and I had a very good time, even on the Demo. I plan to buy it at some point :smallsmile:

Duraska
2007-03-08, 02:13 AM
Yeah, couched lance damage is almost a game-breaker. My level 22 knight can slaughter dark knights just by riding into them.

I finally got an army of 29 knights. It was me, 17 venger (sp?) knights, 11 swadian knights and a dark knight. We literally ruled the planet. Fight after fight we killed armies of 80+ men without a single casualty. Then, one fateful day a group of dark hunters jumped us. Only 12 of them, but I didn't take the time to read the dialogue before the fight. Instead of choosing "Bring it on," I chose "Please don't attack - we surrender." This meant that my entire army was disbanded and I was taken prisoner.

My face looked like this: :furious:

Cybren
2007-03-08, 02:23 AM
yeah that's a real stupid switcheroo.
But you can just track them down and keep fighting them. With a good enough horse it'd be easy to solo 12 of em

Healos
2007-03-09, 12:14 PM
Yeah, couched lance damage is almost a game-breaker. My level 22 knight can slaughter dark knights just by riding into them.

I finally got an army of 29 knights. It was me, 17 venger (sp?) knights, 11 swadian knights and a dark knight. We literally ruled the planet. Fight after fight we killed armies of 80+ men without a single casualty. Then, one fateful day a group of dark hunters jumped us. Only 12 of them, but I didn't take the time to read the dialogue before the fight. Instead of choosing "Bring it on," I chose "Please don't attack - we surrender." This meant that my entire army was disbanded and I was taken prisoner.

My face looked like this: :furious:

Lmao, that must'a sucked a lot. I think the best mods are Fantasy mod(v0.808) and Last Days(v0.751)

Hoggy
2007-03-09, 01:07 PM
I'm playing The Last Days at the moment - it's awesome. I have a level 25 Eorl Guard-esque Captain of the Northern Fields (Rohan), and 4 NPC companions. Oh, and a 45 strong party, filled out with Eorl/Brego/T-somethinghorsearchery guards. Costing me well into 2000 a week, but oh well. :smalltongue:

Unfortunately, Glorfindel remains just beyond my grasp, for now.

Healos
2007-03-09, 04:42 PM
How do you get the heroes?? and you can get there weapons too, like glamdring and gimli's Ax

Were-Sandwich
2007-03-10, 03:42 PM
How do I install the mods? I install and extract them, but I have no idea of where to put the files. Help me.

Hoggy
2007-03-10, 05:34 PM
The only hero I know you can get for sure is Glorfindel. There are other NPC heroes in the game, such as Galadriel/Theoden/Denethor, but I don't think they're recruitable. It's possible to recruit the lords of various towns though, some of which are minor figures in the book. Very minor.

Were-Sandwich
2007-03-11, 04:22 AM
I've tried extracting the files to My Documents. I didn't expect that to work, and it didn't. Then I extracted them to a folder in Mount & Blade, and that didn't work. So, now I'm gonna try putting the files directly in the folders. Before I start, is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

EDIT: Nevermind, found out how you do it

EDIT 2: No, that doesn't work. Any reason why extracting the folder to the Modules fodler doesn't work?

FURTHER EDITAGE: OK, stuff with installers works. No Mount & Shotgun for me.

Hoggy
2007-03-11, 03:44 PM
What version were you running, and what mods were you trying to work?

Dragor
2007-03-11, 05:20 PM
Here's a question to all M&B players: how long will the game last me? I think I was near reaching its peak with my Level 6 character (I played very financially and tried to earn as little XP as possible whilst gaining money all the way) where I looked like a badass and could take literally anyone to school.

I just want to know so I know whether it's the right purchase to make instead of, say, Dark Messiah or Fahrenheit. I've played Fahrenheit and liked it, not sure about Dark Messiah though.

ufo
2007-03-11, 05:40 PM
I once saw two parties of manhuntes - a total of 17 men - holding out against 20 vaegir deserters, 30 sea raiders and 30 river pirates... for 5 days!

Brave, brave manhunters! Thee shalt be remembered!

Were-Sandwich
2007-03-12, 02:43 PM
What version were you running, and what mods were you trying to work?
I'm running 0.808, And Im trying to run Star Wars, The Last Days and the T-rex one. Not all at once. The first two say there's a texture missing for beard F, and therefore won't load (for some reason) and the thrid gives me some crap about there being more than 32 samples per sound, or something.

Cybren
2007-03-12, 05:59 PM
No mods support .808 yet as far as I know

Hoggy
2007-03-12, 06:28 PM
Oni No Ran does.

I know for a fact, however, The Last Days current version is for v 0.751. I'll try find the link for you soon as, but I'm off to bed now. Try googling it. Alternitivly, check the Taleworlds forums, go the The Last Days section and you mind find a link there. Or go to the Mount & Blade beginner guide on GameFaqs, I think the link for it is on there in the mods section.

ufo
2007-03-13, 10:11 AM
No mods support .808 yet as far as I know

Holy War mods supports .808, too.

And some misc mods, too, of course.

Deepblue706
2007-03-13, 10:16 AM
I'm running 0.808, And Im trying to run Star Wars, The Last Days and the T-rex one.

Oh man, someone should totally combine those.

Hoggy
2007-03-13, 06:16 PM
Holy Wars? I need to check it out, but I couldn't find the link a few days ago.

And as promised...

http://www.taleworlds.com/download/mountandblade_0751_setup.exe

Duraska
2007-03-14, 01:31 AM
Mods I have (all work with version 0.8)

A Shield Laying on the Water
Age of Descent
Band of Warriors
Battle for Sicily
Fantasy_Mod
Gladiator Mod (Roman)
Onin No Ran
Ottoman Mod

Were-Sandwich
2007-03-14, 11:36 AM
Ill check out that fantasy one. It looks good.

Beleriphon
2007-03-15, 08:40 PM
Ill check out that fantasy one. It looks good.

Its pretty fun, its adds a fantasy story line to the vanilla game. It also adds in some fun magical weapons.

Ethnic
2007-03-17, 11:16 AM
You guys knew that the Turks made this game?

Pretty cool :P i love em

Duraska
2007-03-19, 02:33 PM
You guys knew that the Turks made this game?

Pretty cool :P i love em

Eh, regardless, it's still a good game... :tongue:

Deepblue706
2007-03-24, 08:45 PM
The Turks? You mean, those guys from FF7?

13_CBS
2007-03-25, 12:02 AM
Ah, so we have some M&B'ers here as well.

Come join us on our forums! forums.taleworlds.net

Fishies
2007-03-25, 12:13 AM
Ha! I bought it when it was a mere $12!