PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] The stain of guilt...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-07, 09:21 PM
Cranny Creeper

Medium Plant (psionic)
Hit Dice: 5d8+10 (32 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft. (6 squares), climb 40 ft.
Armor Class: 13 (+3 dex), touch 13, flat-footed 10
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+4
Attack: Slam +6 melee (1d4+1)
Full Attack: Slam +6 melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Psi-like abilities, psychosis,
Special Qualities: Absorbtion, blindsight 60 ft., immunity to fear, ooze traits, plant traits, split, tremorsense 40 ft.
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +3
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 3, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills: Knowledge (local) +8, Move Silently +11
Feats: Ability Focus (aversion), Lightening Reflexes, Weapon Finesse(B)
Environment: Any non-aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually true neutral
Advancement: 6-10 HD (Medium), 11-23 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

The cranny creeper appears as a mass of frothy mud that seems to bubble up out of the nearby surface. Its movements are swift and somewhat surreal, squeezing in and out of every nook around like a dozen different creatures all at once. It has the rank, musty smell of rot and old wood.

Though distinctly ooze-like in appearance, the cranny creeper is actually a type of fungus known to originally been found growing upon the remains of the dead, most often those murdered. Within cities and other areas of large populations of sentient creatures it evolved to its present form.

Already possessing faint empathic proclivities this creature not only fed upon the remains, but also upon the psychic residue left by intensely strong emotions. Not satisfied with mere scavenging, it developed the ability to invoke these sensations in others. It will thus terrify families for days, or even weeks, preying upon their emotions.

Combat
A cranny creeper tends to fill its victim with fear from within a nearby wall or floor, and giving chase if they move out of its range. It prefers households of past murderers or pain, any strong negative emotions, and will continue to feed upon the terrified inhabitants. Every now and again it will frighten a victim to death and drag its corpse away to physically feed upon.

Absorbtion (Ex): A cranny creeper can move through and along surfaces made of organic substances at will, such as wood, bone, and leather. It may pass from floor to wall or wall to floor, or even wall to ceiling and vice versa, freely, as long as they are made of these substances. Moving through a substance takes a full-round action. The cranny creeper's psychosis ability can be used while it is absorbed.

Between the Lines (Ex): A cranny creeper can squeeze through all but the tiniest spaces as if it was under the affects of a Gaseous Form spell.

Psi-like Abilities:
At Will - Empathy, Sensitivity To Psychic Impressions. 3/day - Aversion (DC 14). Manifester level 5th. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Psychosis (Su): A cranny creeper can attempt to cause any living creature within 20 feet with an intelligence score of 3 or higher to experience horrifying phantasms. They must succeed on a DC 16 will save or become Frightened as nightmarish scenes begin to unfold. This condition lasts for as long as the cranny creeper is in range. If moved beyond this range they are still shaken for 24 hours. A target that makes the save is immune to the psychosis for the duration of the encounter.

While its victim is Frightened a cranny creeper can make itself appear as some horrible being or object in its space, so that when the creeper attacks its victim thinks the apparition is the attacker. The cranny creeper is immune to damage from attacks, the victim attacking the apparition instead, though area effects affect the creeper as normal.

Once per day the cranny creeper may attempt to frighten a victim to death at the same DC above. This acts as the Crises of Life power, though on a failed save the victim only sustains 5d6 points of damage.

This is a mind-affecting fear effect. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +6 racial bonus.

Split (Ex): Slashing and piercing weapons deal no damage to a cranny creeper. Instead the creature splits into two identical creepers, each with half of the original’s current hit points (round down). A creeper with 10 hit points or less cannot be further split and dies if reduced to 0 hit points. The creeper may recombine as a free action and will often to do immediately after being split.

Skills: A cranny creeper has a +8 racial bonus on Knowledge (local) checks.

magic8BALL
2007-02-07, 09:35 PM
I'm sooooo using this in an up comming campaign! (same with those Death Caps...)

Just one point I'd like cleared up: when a cranny creeper is split, does it retain it's medium size? Or does it go down one size catagory for each split? I've wondered this about the black ooze too. Cutting something in half would suggest it's size changes. What's your take?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-07, 09:41 PM
I'm sooooo using this in an up comming campaign! (same with those Death Caps...)

Just one point I'd like cleared up: when a cranny creeper is split, does it retain it's medium size? Or does it go down one size catagory for each split? I've wondered this about the black ooze too. Cutting something in half would suggest it's size changes. What's your take?
Well, basically my thoughts is that this stuff is pretty dense. By cutting it in half it becomes less dense (i.e., halving the HP) but can still spread itself out to take up the same space.

magic8BALL
2007-02-07, 09:46 PM
...so a split Cranny Crawler (or black ooze) doubles in size but not weight, reducing its density?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-07, 10:01 PM
...so a split Cranny Crawler (or black ooze) doubles in size but not weight, reducing its density?
The weight is assumed to also be halved. Take up too much space to mention all the little differences.