PDA

View Full Version : SPOILERS: Overall series structure

Draz74
2007-02-08, 12:42 PM
So far, we have three books:

#0: "On the Origins of PCs" ("Origins"), the prequel, unspecified number of strips.
#1: "Dungeon Crawling Fools" ("DCF"), 120 strips.
#2: "No Cure for the Paladin Blues" ("NCPB"), 180 strips.

Now, since the Crayon Saga, and especially since visiting the Oracle, my mind has been mulling over the future of the strip. The Oracle visit is particularly important because its message to Roy makes it clear that the rest of the series will not simply be centered around Azure City and its gate. I don't know what will happen in Xykon's attack, but somehow, he doesn't get what he wants from this gate, and he will be moving on to Girard's Gate.

So here's my prediction: Other than Origins, the whole story of OotS will be 5 books, one for each Gate guarding the Snarl. Only since Lirian's gate is already out of the way, "her" book will instead be devoted to explaining this overall plot to the Order and the readers.

Book 1: Dorukan's Gate
Book 2: Explaining the Gates (instead of Lirian's Gate)
Book 3: Soon's Gate
Book 4: Girard's Gate
Book 5: Kraagor's Gate

To support this theory, look at all the subplots that will be resolvable if they go looking for Girard's Gate. What all do we know about Girard's Gate and its location?
- It's on the western continent (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html)
- It's in the desert (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html).

What do we know about the western continent?
- By elimination, it must be across the ocean (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0300.html). That is, it's not connected to the lands of Cliffport or Azure City by land -- it's a massive island, probably something like Australia. This is supported by the picture of the gods making the world (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0273.html), though the more up-to-date pictures in the next two strips are less clear.
- It seems likely that it's the homeland for most worshippers of the Gods of the West (the Babylonian pantheon). This is interesting, since all we have heard about these gods so far is that the Oracle uses divine magic of Tiamat in its prophecies.
- According to Origins, it's a chaotic land constantly at war, ruled by all kinds of violent tyrants in an ever-changing power struggle. (Including Elan's dad?)
- According to the same part of Origins, it's where Haley's dad is being held hostage all this time.

Sound like enough material to fill a book with?

Then, I'm fairly sure the story won't end at Girard's Gate, either, if only because there's the subplot about Durkon bringing destruction with him when he returns to the Dwarven Lands (also "Origins," though hinted at a lot in the main strip). That means Kraagor's Gate comes into play, methinks. (It's probably also the best time for the Hilgya subplot to be resumed.)

There's also a couple more subplots that could fit in anywhere:
- The thieves' guild that undoubtably is still on the lookout for Haley ("Origins")
- Redcloak's whole "Crimson Mantle" backstory
- probably some others, including whole bunches of characters who might or might not reappear.

Now, one thing that was making me nervous about this theory was the odd "Intermission!" episode number 301 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0301.html). It just felt like it was marking a place in the series, and Intermissions are usually a halfway point (Monty Python aside). Since it's between the second and third books, and since the series obviously won't be done in four books (or even 600 strips), I wondered if we might expect six books and two Intermissions. But then I realized that the Intermission is right in the middle of my proposed series, if "Origins" counts. (Aside from the fact that the books tend to be getting longer and longer, as often happens in a series ...)

So I'm pretty comfortable with this proposed structure to the series.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-02-08, 12:56 PM
Very nice. You figured out the order of the last two gates by elimination, as Xykon is going to be at Girard's gate first, right?

Mmm... Two more intermissions sounds just fine, especially if they're as good as the last one. However, I see nothing in there that covers V's family, which I'm sure will come up later on. Of course, my theory is that Pompey is V's son.

This theory also gives us about fifty more strips of the Azure City War, which should end with a climactic duel, a splash page, and Xykon's predictable escape in his soul-hidey place.

Porthos
2007-02-08, 12:56 PM
In the end-of-book commentary for No Cure for the Paladin Blues, Rich mentions that he has enough material for four more books (plus at least two more prequel/all-original books) for a total of six books. He then goes on to say that with the way he tends to strech out plot lines (and he then gives the Bandit Side Quest as an example) that there might even be more books (up to nine, potentially - although I think the nine comment was a bit of a joke. :smallwink:).

Now the qualifier for this is that the books have not shown a consistent size, and instead move at Speed of Plot. Still, going by Rich's comments in NCftPB, I'd say we'll get up to at least strip #900, and possibly as high as strip #1300. :smallbiggrin:

Info on potential "prequel/all original" book spoilerized:

PS: For those of you who haven't read NCftPB, one of the planned prequel books is the Xykon backstory! Wheee!! :smallcool:

Draz74
2007-02-08, 01:21 PM
Hmmm, dang. That kind of shoots my long-developed theory in the foot. :smallmad:

Well, maybe my two-Intermissions-dividing-main-series-into-thirds theory was right after all, then.

Maybe Lirian's Gate still has a part to play after all. A book about her gate would be cool too, even if there's no "Gate" involved -- just the Order looking around, trying to find out more about the Gates and their history. It's definitely possible that Lirian herself is still alive (even more so than Serini). Also, that book would be the perfect time to reveal more of the Crimson Mantle backstory (since it was Redcloak that burned down her Gate), as well as throw V's family into the mix. V's Ranger parents could still be alive and kicking and interesting too (good old Elven lifespans), and if we ever do meet V's spouse, that would be the perfect time.

So, new theory:

(-2) Xykon's History (would be SWEET btw!)
(-1) Other Prequel (maybe Young Eugene Greenhilt meets the Old Order of the Scribble members?)
(0) On the Origin of PCs
(1) The Redmountain Gate of Dorukan
(2) The Explanation of the Plotline of the Gates by Lord Shojo
(3) The Azure City Gate of Soon
(4) The Desert Gate of Girard Draketooth
(5) The Ruins of Lirian's Gate in the Elven Forest
(6) The Gate of Kraagor in the Dwarven Homelands

Tussy the Druid
2007-02-08, 01:30 PM
Wow. That would actually fit. With everything. All though I hope there's an epilogue. Not necessarily how the last 20 comics tell how everyone dies off, but maybe if they go on their separate ways or further adventures. Rich could sell the Oots if he runs out of material. Never kill potential gold!

Draz74
2007-02-08, 01:36 PM
All though I hope there's an epilogue. Not necessarily how the last 20 comics tell how everyone dies off, but maybe if they go on their separate ways or further adventures.

Yeah, I'm sure there will be an epilogue of some sort. But most adventurers, in good fantasy, DO eventually settle down and retire rather than eternally adventuring. (Look at the Order of the Scribble ... 4 out of 5 survivors retired. Sounds about right. Only one's deepest, strongest motivation was eternal wanderlust.)

Which Order of the Stick members are most likely to want to adventure forever? Well, Belkar, unless he is redeemed from his whole homicidal maniac thing at some point. V and Durkon seem the most likely to retire when/if they get what they want. But it's really too soon to tell about any of them.

Porthos
2007-02-08, 01:47 PM
(-2) Xykon's History (would be SWEET btw!)
(-1) Other Prequel (maybe Young Eugene Greenhilt meets the Old Order of the Scribble members?)

Here's my idea, which is complete speculation:

(-2) The Adventures of The Order of the Rift/Scribble

This is just too cool to pass up. Rich has hinted at a really interesting campaign involving these people, and it would be a shame not to see it. We could see them battle the various adversaries that were guarding the original rifts, and we could see the beginnings of the conflicts that would lead to the group splitting up. And the fact that it will all end badly just makes it even more dramatically juicy.

(-1) Xykon Rising.

Rich has already said how this will deal with Xykon's life and unlife and how he met Redcloak and the CitD. Who's to say that it won't have Xykon's meeting with Eugene's mentor, and other similar goodness. :smallsmile:

Draz74
2007-02-08, 06:10 PM
(-1) Xykon Rising.

Rich has already said how this will deal with Xykon's life and unlife and how he met Redcloak and the CitD. Who's to say that it won't have Xykon's meeting with Eugene's mentor, and other similar goodness. :smallsmile:

Actually, I'd be a little surprised if it showed his encounter with Fyron, since Xykon didn't even consider the incident to be significant, except for the inconvenience of washing the blood out of his robes.

Mr Teufel
2007-02-08, 07:32 PM
It'd just be one frame in a montage, only recognised by OotS hardcore fans.

Gee, this stuff is scarey, because surely each book would breed other possible books... it could get out of hand like Wendi Pini's Elfquest stuff...

Zaverix
2007-02-09, 06:30 PM
I just hope that the strip goes on as long as possible. Why ruin it by guessing the end. Just enjoy Oots.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-02-09, 07:30 PM
Here's my idea, which is complete speculation:

(-2) The Adventures of The Order of the Rift/Scribble

This is just too cool to pass up. Rich has hinted at a really interesting campaign involving these people, and it would be a shame not to see it. We could see them battle the various adversaries that were guarding the original rifts, and we could see the beginnings of the conflicts that would lead to the group splitting up. And the fact that it will all end badly just makes it even more dramatically juicy.

yes. In particular I'm curious about "Baron Pineapple" XD

DarkPhilosopher
2007-02-09, 08:01 PM
Me too. But it's all because of Girard. Come on! Look at him. He says "Kick-ass character" all-over the place!