PDA

View Full Version : Invocational Variety

Diggorian
2007-02-08, 05:21 PM
Spurred by the complaints of other threads, I've decided to address the narrow power options of the Warlock.

Please evaluate and contribute:

RHYMELESS REASON
Least; 2nd

Your words jumble a listener's comprehension making thought itself difficult for the target. This invocation mimics the effects of the spell Touch of Idiocy, but the range is Close 25ft (+5ft / two caster levels), the target is entitled to a Will save to resist, and the duration of the effect is 1 minute per caster level. So riddled is reason the target also looses the ability to communicate his thoughts. For the duration of the spell, they loose fluency and literacy in 1d4 of their known languages; their native language is lost first. This is a sonic effect.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-08, 05:55 PM
I'd make it temporarily strip 1d4 languages from the target instead of the extra damage on the failed save. Beyond that, I like this.

The Great Skenardo
2007-02-08, 06:15 PM
#2 Infernal Juggler
(Lesser)
You may treat any thrown weapons with which you are proficient as having the returning descriptor when you throw them in combat. Furthermore, you may channel your Eldritch Blast into your thrown weapon once per round.

Diggorian
2007-02-09, 01:55 AM
I'd make it temporarily strip 1d4 languages from the target instead of the extra damage on the failed save. Beyond that, I like this.

Fax, I'm liking it, just wanna see your reasoning. Why the lost languages? Do ya feel this effect follows from the description of the invocation better?

Skenardo, me likes :smallbiggrin:
I think it should be a 5th level equivalent (the same as Telekinesis) and a Blast Shape type.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-09, 11:07 AM
Yeah. I mean, "Your words jumble a listener's comprehension..." just screams "NO LANGUAGES FOR YOU, SCUM," to me.

Diggorian
2007-02-09, 01:41 PM
Cool, Fax. Edit made.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-09, 01:57 PM
Everyone seems to think that itterative Eldritch Blasts would make the Warlock sooooo much better.

Chain Eldritch Blast
(I have no idea)
You may use your Eldritch Blast once for every attack the Warlock can make with a weapon per round. All other aspects of this Invocation conform to Eldritch Blast.

Or something along those lines.

Diggorian
2007-02-09, 02:58 PM
Mauril, this kinda steps on the toes of the Eldritch Chain invocation, which already exists and is pretty balanced (I'd show ya but it's not OGL). Thanks for the effort though.

Next,

BULWARK BLAST
(Lesser or Greater?); 5th; Eldritch Essence

This eldritch essence invocation changes part of your eldritch blast power into a powerful physical force. Those hit by the blast are considered bullrushed. This blast doesnt provoke an attack of opportunity, you arent moved by a failed bull rush, and your Charisma modifier plus 1/2 your caster level is used in place of your Strength modifier to resolve the Bull Rush. You cannot push your target farther than the range of your eldritch blast.

Further, you may reduce the number of damage dice your eldritch blast does to increase the force of this blast. Every d6 sacrificed from damage adds +2 to your special bull rush modifier.

Cant decide on Lesser or Greater, leaning to Lesser.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-09, 03:00 PM
AH, I only have what is OGL. No 3.5 books para me.

Beren One-Hand
2007-02-19, 09:24 PM
BULWARK BLAST
(Lesser or Greater?); 5th; Eldritch Essence

This eldritch essence invocation changes part of your eldritch blast power into a powerful physical force. Those hit by the blast are considered bullrushed. This blast doesnt provoke an attack of opportunity, you arent moved by a failed bull rush, and your Charisma modifier plus 1/2 your caster level is used in place of your Strength modifier to resolve the Bull Rush. You cannot push your target farther than the range of your eldritch blast.

Further, you may reduce the number of damage dice your eldritch blast does to increase the force of this blast. Every d6 sacrificed from damage adds +2 to your special bull rush modifier.

Cant decide on Lesser or Greater, leaning to Lesser.

This is quite similar to Repeling Blast essence, which is a Greater Invocation.
The difference being you can target someone a size larger than you and he doesn't get knocked prone.
Of the two, I think I prefer Repeling Blast - even though it has a Ref save.

Beren One-Hand
2007-02-19, 10:26 PM
Here's my try at this:
Despair of the Heart
Least, 2nd
Using his dread abilities, the warlock is able to establish a direct link to the abyss causing the air around him to chill. All foes within an emanation (radius of 5' per 2 Caster Level) feel a cold dread and gain a -2 penalty on all saving throws for as long as they are within the area. Lasts for 24 hrs.

jjpickar
2007-02-19, 11:14 PM
Horrible/Maddening Cry
(Dark) 9th
As Greater Shout But Confusion for 2 rounds per level on a failed save instead of deafness.

Tears of the Abyss
(Greater) 6th
Creature touched must take a will save. On Failure he takes 1d6+1/4 Warlock level Con. Damage and is nauseated for 3 rounds. On success he takes 1d4 Con. damage and is nauseated for 1 round.

Diggorian
2007-02-20, 11:53 AM
This is quite similar to Repeling Blast essence, which is a Greater Invocation.
The difference being you can target someone a size larger than you and he doesn't get knocked prone.
Of the two, I think I prefer Repeling Blast - even though it has a Ref save.

How'd I misss this?! :smallannoyed: Good catch, Beren. Let's bid bye bye to Bulwark Blast.

Despair of the Heart I likes. Have ya considered focusing the penalty into Will with a -4, similar to the opposite of an Aura of Courage? Hard to visualize despair effecting Reflex and Fortitude, but the power is good as is.

Tears of the Abyss causes a Nauseated effect (when ya can only move once in a round), writing as such can save space. It does seem kinda harsh; what spell is it based off?

jjpickar
2007-02-20, 12:48 PM
Its not based of any spell. I just wanted to throw another invocation out there that was pretty strong because warlocks are generally weak. And I wanted something to scare PCs with. heh:smallamused:

Will edit Tears of the Abyss for nauseated effect. Thanks for pointing that out.

Diggorian
2007-02-20, 01:05 PM
Cool, jj.

Was wondering about the source because I myself try to find what current invocations are based on to gauge balance. Tears seems a little strong for a Greater but I'll compare it to others of that category later to form a firm judgement.

BTW, Maddening Cry: nice :smallbiggrin:

The Great Skenardo
2007-02-20, 04:55 PM
The Flensing
(Dark)
With a gesture, the Warlock creates a horrible transformation in her enemy as the muscles on her opponent's very bones rebel, attempting to tear themselves from their ligaments, dealing 8d8 damage (Fort for half). This attack affects only living creatures with discernable anatomies. If the target would be killed by this damage, then the grisly transformation completes as the muscles tear themselves fully from the bones, leaving behind a skeleton (as animate dead) which then loyally serves the caster.

Beren One-Hand
2007-02-20, 07:25 PM
Despair of the Heart I likes. Have ya considered focusing the penalty into Will with a -4, similar to the opposite of an Aura of Courage? Hard to visualize despair effecting Reflex and Fortitude, but the power is good as is.

I was basing this off the Blackguard's Aura of Despair, which affects all saving throws. The main difference is that a high-level warlock could stay out of melee and still use this ability. As for visualizing, think about the Lord of The Rings - when Aragon, Gimli, and Legolass are hunting for the hobbits they are confronted with something simular, "A weirness more of heart than of limb" it was described as. Basically a manevolent will beating down your will to resist both mental and physical strains.

Forbidden Knowledge
Least, 3rd
With a single word the warlock's eyes glow red as he unlocks the knowledge of the immediate future. He can gain +20 to his next attack, +20 dodge AC against the next attack he will face, or +20 to his next saving throw. This bonus lasts until the end of his next turn.

Dark Vortex
Dark, 7th
Tearing at the very fabric of magic, the warlock creates a swirling magical void. This acts like an Anti-Magic Field that can be targeted at a point in space or any creature within close range (25 ft + 5'/2 caster levels), Will save negates. Any active effect, which was cast by someone other than the warlock, suppressed by this field increases the Warlock's Caster Level by 1 for every 2 spell levels suppressed. This increase lasts for 1 minute.

Diggorian
2007-02-20, 08:53 PM
I getcha Beren, good concept.

The Flensing ... Wow, it really lives up to being 'Dark'. It needs some limitation detail though: line of sight? touch?

jjpickar
2007-02-20, 09:34 PM
Suggestive Defense
(Least)

Upon casting this invocation, the first enemy to attack with melee or ranged attacks (includes spells that involve melee and ranged touch attacks but not area spells) must take a will save. If he fails, he must attack a randomly selected target that is not the subject the warlock who cast this invocation.

Terrible Suggestion
(Greater)
Like Suggestive Defense except instead of attacking another target the attacker must coup de grace himself with whatever he was going to attack the warlock with.

Oh yes, fun will be had.:smallamused:

Tola
2007-03-17, 03:14 PM
On Flensing: Make it only avalible to Evil Warlocks. As I understand it, they're not resricted to be Evil, and a 'Good' person pulling that off...

The Great Skenardo
2007-03-17, 03:40 PM
Hmm. Should The Flensing be touch or Close range... In any case, to target an enemy, you always have to have line of sight.

If The Flensing is restricted to evil Warlocks, then I would argue that The Dead Walk should be as well.