PDA

View Full Version : Monster competitions?

Jergmo
2014-04-21, 03:51 PM
My ability to keep up with the Playground has been spotty recently, but when I was more active it seemed there was always a new monster competition. I see there's one for Pathfinder material, but does 3.5 generate interest for monster creation anymore? Every time I've looked, it's always been prestige classes.

Tanuki Tales
2014-04-21, 04:40 PM
We're actually a contest for practically all forms of mechanics, not just monsters and there is a competition for 3.5 base classes (though I'm not sure who runs that one right now). The monster competition was run by someone who's no longer with us and Mullet tried to keep it going after that user was gone. But there wasn't enough interest and he had IRL responsibilities, so the contest ended up falling through. I believe ChainsawHobbit tried picking it up last year, but it fell through and then...Inuyasha I believe tried to revive it a few months ago and it just fell through again.

So it's a combination of the torchbearers not being able to run the contest consistently and there not being enough people interested. But I feel like maybe it's just that contests are becoming something not as attractive to do as they were years ago. That's why I specifically made the PGBC a multi-entry type competition so that it would have a stronger core and appeal to more brewers. So far this, along with awesome regulars, has explained its longevity.

Jergmo
2014-04-21, 04:51 PM
We're actually a contest for practically all forms of mechanics, not just monsters and there is a competition for 3.5 base classes (though I'm not sure who runs that one right now). The monster competition was run by someone who's no longer with us and Mullet tried to keep it going after that user was gone. But there wasn't enough interest and he had IRL responsibilities, so the contest ended up falling through. I believe ChainsawHobbit tried picking it up last year, but it fell through and then...Inuyasha I believe tried to revive it a few months ago and it just fell through again.

So it's a combination of the torchbearers not being able to run the contest consistently and there not being enough people interested. But I feel like maybe it's just that contests are becoming something not as attractive to do as they were years ago. That's why I specifically made the PGBC a multi-entry type competition so that it would have a stronger core and appeal to more brewers. So far this, along with awesome regulars, has explained its longevity.

I'd see about jumping on board, but I'm an old fogey that never switched to Pathfinder. :smallfrown:

Tanuki Tales
2014-04-21, 06:12 PM
I'd see about jumping on board, but I'm an old fogey that never switched to Pathfinder. :smallfrown:

Pathfinder is incredibly similar to 3.X, with only a few design philosophies that really separate it. Mind you, we tend to ignore those design philosophies because Paizo only knows a smidgen more than Wizards of the Coast about game design, but you catch my drift. :smalltongue:

We'd be more than willing to show you the ropes if you ever come on over.

Edit: Because we could use a dedicated monster person. It's one of the more under-represented entry types. I think we've honestly gotten more races than monsters.

Bhu
2014-04-22, 12:16 AM
I miss the monster competitions. Perhaps I'll run one myself someday. Maybe make it an annual halloween event.