PDA

View Full Version : Just got done running 1st night of Ghost of Dragon spear Castle

CyberThread
2014-04-23, 11:42 AM
So... I like it, it feels 3.5, with casting and abilities that are more moderate and friendly to the usual 3.5 feel I know, just with some new tricks and simplified interactions.

As a 3.5 player, I really have no problems with it, it feels like a natural evolution of 3.5, without falling into the holes that pathfinder had.

DeltaEmil
2014-04-23, 04:41 PM
Did you play with the actual game documents from Wizards of the Coast's closed playtest (which some people on the internet claim to be part of)?

If not, be advised that everything you've known so far about the rules for D&D 5th edition could drastically change and is very likely outdated by now.

CyberThread
2014-04-23, 09:39 PM
We played with pre generated characters,from the actual book , and all the rules that came with it.

Lokiare
2014-04-24, 09:04 PM
We played with pre generated characters,from the actual book , and all the rules that came with it.

In other words you are playing the convention play test. Which means the final game will be vastly different (or not as the rumors go).

Bounty Hunter
2014-04-25, 05:12 AM
Whether its changed drastically from the playtest or not, the system still plays pretty well from what I've messed with. Its got steps forward for players of all editions and I've not really seen any drastic steps back.

@CyberThread : From your playtest are there any points where you think 3.5 did something better than 5e?

da_chicken
2014-05-04, 02:36 PM
Whether its changed drastically from the playtest or not, the system still plays pretty well from what I've messed with. Its got steps forward for players of all editions and I've not really seen any drastic steps back.

This is where I am, too.

I'm kinda iffy about the lack of magic shops because we've had them since 2000, but ultimately I enjoy low magic settings like Greyhawk over high magic settings like Forgotten Realms. You can also infer a price range based on rarity, and the idea that magic ought to be magical is interesting.

Including the random attributes tables for weapons is something I can get behind. I mean, there's a difference between finding a +1 longsword and Orcist, forged by the Elves and called Biter by the Goblins, for it warns of their presence and strikes true when need is dire. I don't want players to just say, "awesome, a better magic sword!" I want them to say, "what the hell was this doing in a troll's cave?"

Knaight
2014-05-04, 03:31 PM
I'm kinda iffy about the lack of magic shops because we've had them since 2000, but ultimately I enjoy low magic settings like Greyhawk over high magic settings like Forgotten Realms. You can also infer a price range based on rarity, and the idea that magic ought to be magical is interesting.
The loot tables regarding magic item frequency drastically undermine the whole "low magic thing". When every second group of kobolds is sporting a magic something, the setting is not low magic. The lack of a magic shop also seems particularly suspicious here, as there are a great number

Including the random attributes tables for weapons is something I can get behind. I mean, there's a difference between finding a +1 longsword and Orcist, forged by the Elves and called Biter by the Goblins, for it warns of their presence and strikes true when need is dire. I don't want players to just say, "awesome, a better magic sword!" I want them to say, "what the hell was this doing in a troll's cave?"
That said, this does add to the number of rolls needed in just setting up an encounter, which is rather irritating, and is also undermined by the sheer frequency of magic items coming up.

As for me, I get the idea of 3.5, but with lighter rules. 3.5 is way over my favored level of crunchiness, and it doesn't bring anything to the table interesting enough for me to want to play it anyways (GURPS does, Qin: The Warring States definitely does, etc.). I'm just not particularly fond of the 5e implementation, particularly as I already have a number of rules light systems that I favor, even within the D&D niche.

Lokiare
2014-05-04, 04:38 PM
The loot tables regarding magic item frequency drastically undermine the whole "low magic thing". When every second group of kobolds is sporting a magic something, the setting is not low magic. The lack of a magic shop also seems particularly suspicious here, as there are a great number

That said, this does add to the number of rolls needed in just setting up an encounter, which is rather irritating, and is also undermined by the sheer frequency of magic items coming up.

As for me, I get the idea of 3.5, but with lighter rules. 3.5 is way over my favored level of crunchiness, and it doesn't bring anything to the table interesting enough for me to want to play it anyways (GURPS does, Qin: The Warring States definitely does, etc.). I'm just not particularly fond of the 5e implementation, particularly as I already have a number of rules light systems that I favor, even within the D&D niche.

Exactly. It isn't particularly balanced, its not particularly option filled, its not particularly beholden to classic old school D&D. It doesn't really do any one thing better than a previous edition. If you want D&D: The average edition, then 5E is probably right for you. For me, I'll probably move on to 13th age if they come out with some kind of tactics module as it really seems to be the spiritual successor to 4E.